Thoughts On The Game?

IJJosh

At this point, as with any major release that's happened since I've been on PSNP, there will be people who play the game and enjoy the heck out of it and then there will be whiny little bitches who find any excuse to try and tear the game down (mainly people who haven't played it or have no intention of playing it)  Seems to be the PSNP way.

That's the feeling I have inside of me on final fantasy games...Many people never played the latest games and seems to have a strong desire to speak certain things as if they were a kind of wiseacres lol

the best way is to ignore, then you will give me reason! Now truth be told NMS isn't a game for me :)

Edited by Rose_Dark
  • Like 1

Too bad you're not liking it. I have to re-order my inventory constantly as well as sell stuff, I think it's realistic though - there's only so much that can fit in an exosuit, small ship and omnitool.

The only crash I was greeted by, was that of my own spaceship just before I assumed control of the game :-)

I hope you'll give the game a chance and keep trying it for at least a few hours. Yeah it's exploring for wildlife and resources, but that's what makes it fun in my eyes. Stock up on plutonium so you can always leave a hazardous place, I got stranded while my ship was surrounded by what I've called Brain Spiders...

I am enjoying it, I just have my issues with it. I've managed to increase my exosuit by two inventories slots since my last post at least.

I've managed to stock up on enough resources for my ship now that I don't have to worry about that for a while, and several other planets I've discovered seem plentiful of the resources I need. Before this game was realised, I was seeing a lot of similarities to Spore, and I'm still seeing them now. That was another game that didn't quite live up to expectations, but it was still a great game for me nonetheless.

How do you find the whole trading/fighting system? Is it rewarding enough to get involved, or is it just an addition? Do the aliens on different planets tell anything interesting if you learn their language?

This review made me actually want to play the game, but I'm curious to see some players' opinions.

(Sorry if I made any spelling/grammar mistakes, I've written all of this in a very small rectangle on my phone)

Honestly, I thought there would be so little to do that you'd have to love it or hate it but I didn't really realise that people could love it for so diverse reasons.

I've heard people who are still exploring their first planet after ten hours, people who searched for a planet they liked and then stopped, people who started cataloguing like crazy...

You can ask twenty different gamers about what they like most in the game and get twenty different answers.

Personally, I have tried a few flavours and decided that I like two things best: searching for story bits, and travelling with my spaceship both across and between planets. Luckily the latter is needed for the former.

It might be because I watch, play, read and write sci-fi but I love reading the snippets of backstory/legend that come with the alien monoliths.

More specific answers to your questions:

Due to my quest for alien ruins I've learned about two dozen words but it's not nearly enough yet to really understand them all, perhaps I should have been taking notes. Luckily the game also tells you a bit about how your character thinks the alien acts ("the alien looks around his shoulder, checking for colleagues. He opens a drawer filled with multitools, pointing at your inventory to suggest a trade" or something along those lines).

As for trading/fighting: I've explored my first system with five planets for the seven or eight hours that I've played. I have not seen any space battles (my focus has been planets) but thanks to looking for monoliths and talking with the resident intelligent species (Vy'keen), I've became a bit of a small time celebrity. Thanks to different people different opinions, some will no doubt say it's superficial but personally it has made me invested in them. I know I'll try to help if I ever find them in trouble.

Final point: sometimes in real life, I look at the stars and feel so very insignificant, so many stars with so many planets... I'm really pissed because it's true: we were born too late to explore earth and too early to explore space.

Only in No Man's Sky you can say "To hell with this piece of dirt, what planets are over there?" and that's amazing.

• Like 4

I am enjoying it, I just have my issues with it. I've managed to increase my exosuit by two inventories slots since my last post at least.

I've managed to stock up on enough resources for my ship now that I don't have to worry about that for a while, and several other planets I've discovered seem plentiful of the resources I need. Before this game was realised, I was seeing a lot of similarities to Spore, and I'm still seeing them now. That was another game that didn't quite live up to expectations, but it was still a great game for me nonetheless.

Good to hear you're still playing at least, for better or worse at the least you gave it a fair chance.

I found one additional exoslot. I saw a spaceship for sale with an insane number of slots but I had not nearly enough money for it.

I can see how it feels like Spore - it essentially is just without you controlling and developing aliens/cities/ships, you're more of an observer. Though Spore failed for me, No Man's Sky has been a success even in just these first eight hours in one solar system.

Honestly, I've watched people try to meet up on a ARK: Survival Evolved which is a much smaller game and guess what....people are clueless idiots when it comes to coordinating meeting locations.  I've spent nearly a day just exploring one planet and couldn't care less if there was another person on it.

At this point, as with any major release that's happened since I've been on PSNP, there will be people who play the game and enjoy the heck out of it and then there will be whiny little bitches who find any excuse to try and tear the game down (mainly people who haven't played it or have no intention of playing it)  Seems to be the PSNP way.

Anyway, I'm out....going to enjoy the game and have a private chat with other like minded people rather than feeding others negativity.

Idk if there is a nice way to say this but what this comes across as:

I hate having my opinions challenged in any way! you're all just insecure morons!
  • Like 1

My wife bought it. It's her game. But looking at the box. The back of the game art is all French. Except where it has file size and 1player etc. Anyone else look like that? Just the back is French?

I have English, German, Italian and French on my limited edition. The included booklets are in English.

Idk if there is a nice way to say this but what this comes across as:

There is a stupid amount of hate from people who have not even played the game (like ShadowStrike who has been saying for months that he's hoping the game flops) and from people who walked along with the hype and bought something without realising what it was (like the OP). Have someone talk trash about a game you love with false arguments and let's see if you still feel like actually going into the conversations. Playing the game is much more fun than arguing with people who are frantic about not willing to like the game.

• Like 3

Yeah mines just in french. Stupid eb games. Probably figure Canadians want games with French art. But I see myself trading it in once it's boring or the wife plats it. So it's not a issue. I don't gotta play it lol

I was all set on trading it after a week or so while it's still worth a damn, then getting it back on the very cheap a year or two later on. Held my limited edition (which looks like a sci-fi novel), looked at the steel case (which is awesome)... aw hell no, this thing is mine! MINE! HAAAHAHAAH!

Really really boring game alright for a few hours but once that newness wears out your left with the thats it? feeling.

There's really nothing to do other than exploring problem is that exploring gets bland quickly as all the planets are more or less the same just with slightly different colours there's nothing to hold your attention for long

Edited by Newhopes

No way to play with friends (exploring the solar system on your own sounds fun and exciting right?)

You know this was advertised as a single player only game from the start right? Why are people expecting this -_-

MP/co-op however is one of the many things Murray intends to implant on future updates. 

You know this was advertised as a single player only game from the start right? Why are people expecting this -_-

MP/co-op however is one of the many things Murray intends to implant on future updates. 

Well maybe, juuuust maybe people were only expecting multiplayer because it came right out of the horse's mouth. Allow me to quote an article from Eurogamer.

Back in October Hello Game's founder Sean Murray said on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert that "You can't see yourself, so the only way to know what you look like is for somebody else to see you."

When Colbert asked if you could run into other players, Murray responded "Yes, but the chances of that are incredibly rare because of the size of what we're building."

More recently Murray and company downplayed this idea of meeting up, emphasising that No Man's Sky is a single-player game with a few nifty online features like uploading names.

"To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience," Murray said just yesterday on Twitter. "The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

So just to sum it up, he absolutely did not make things clear from the start that it was a singleplayer only game. In fact, quite the opposite. He started backtracking in the run up to launch, but even then, he didn't say it was impossible to meet up with another player, just that the chances are unlikely.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Well maybe, juuuust maybe people were only expecting multiplayer because it came right out of the horse's mouth. Allow me to quote an article from Eurogamer.

So just to sum it up, he absolutely did not make things clear from the start that it was a singleplayer only game. In fact, quite the opposite. He started backtracking in the run up to launch, but even then, he didn't say it was impossible to meet up with another player, just that the chances are unlikely.

"To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience," Murray said

:facepalm:  :facepalm:   

I read a somewhat satirical post earlier regarding why the two players were unable to see each other.  

"They have both been traveling through different solar systems and passing through different levels of gravity. Add that to the FTL (Faster Than Light) travel and they are in the same place at different times!

They could be hundreds if not thousands of years apart due to relative time differences. This explains why their day/night cycles were different and how they were able to manipulate their surroundings."

Let's just fix that for you.  :P

"To be super clear - No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience," Murray said just yesterday on Twitter. "The chances of two players ever crossing paths in a universe this large is pretty much zero."

:facepalm:  :facepalm:   

Hence why I said...

He started backtracking in the run up to launch, but even then, he didn't say it was impossible to meet up with another player, just that the chances are unlikely.

lol  xD

• Like 2

You can also just pause the game so you're definitely not in the same spacetime as other players.

Didn't they say somewhere that actual mp and co-op were a planned future update? Seeing others probably comes with that as well. I guess they realised that having millions of players play the game and the servers tracking who needs to see who is a bit of a task. Even without it the servers don't work all the time, they did not work at all on tuesday.

Not that I ever need to see other people, mind you. I don't like MP and I don't mind being on my own in exploring these systems. For me the whole point is being alone in this vast open space.

Edited by BillyHorrible

I like the game. Sure it needs more content and improvements, but I have no regrets buying it, and I trust the developers will add interesting new stuff.

Sure it's repetitive, but for some reason, I always feel a sense of wonder and thrill. That's 6 hours in.

People still pre-order games.

People still buy AAA games on launch.

People still think everything announced will be in game.

So yea, I would still say we need more confirmations =D

I still pre-order games (for the sweet collector's editions) and I ignore all info about games (save for release date) once I decide I want it so I can be surprised. I don't really think pre-ordering is as bad a thing as some people make it out to be.

I still pre-order games (for the sweet collector's editions) and I ignore all info about games (save for release date) once I decide I want it so I can be surprised. I don't really think pre-ordering is as bad a thing as some people make it out to be.

Sure, pre-ordering for the sake of getting cool stuff is understandable, but pre-ordering regular versions or worse, PSN pre-orders, are where the problem lies :)