Thoughts On The Game?

IJJosh

Post thoughts on the game here.

My thoughts:

Its a letdown. Actually, a week from this games release, I had a suspicion that this game wouldn't be as good as the hype and since then my expectations for the game were low and the game met it.

If you don't like games where you just explore, DO NOT pick this game up as all you do is explore and gather resources while the action is kept minimal.

Should you buy it? NO. Wait till a price drop 

It's a $20-30 indie game. Really almost an alpha 

1. No compass, map or even a way to highlight a discovered waypoint
2. Distance to object sometimes go thru a planet so it's not 10m it's a half hour
3. draw distance and granular popip
4. Partially mined objects appear full until to get closer
5. No landing view so it's hard to put down near a site
6. Can't color customize a ship
7. Can't buy a ship later that you saw but did't have the money for
8. No Faction rating screen
9. No faction language screen with # and which words you've learned
10. can't rename an uploaded item
11. Can't see # of planets from the discovery screen
12. Celsius only, no F switch
13. No button remaping (Run on the L3 please)
14. Can't preview a ship cockpit view until AFTER you bought it
15. Can't preivew and items buil requriments unless you have an open space

Oh and it's lockups, every day. Crashes during warp. 
Edited by FaintKarma
  • Like 1

Sure, pre-ordering for the sake of getting cool stuff is understandable, but pre-ordering regular versions or worse, PSN pre-orders, are where the problem lies :)

Well, those who pre-ordered the regular versions are lucky here now. There's been a lot of positive reactions to the game (drowning out the pre-release bitching of people not even interested in the game and post-release bitching of people who did not know what they were up for), causing a lot more people to want to play it. The game shop where I got my limited edition from has run out and most of its other stores in the country have nothing left as well, and they really did stock up... Sony had not expected this, they're hurrying to get new shipments over :)

As for digital pre-orders: well digitally the game will be always available. I only ever pre-ordered one game digitally, and that was Day Of The Tentacle - digital only, was going to buy it day one anyway and there was a 20% off pre-order sale for PS+.

It's a $20-30 indie game. Really almost an alpha 

1. No compass, map or even a way to highlight a discovered waypoint
2. Distance to object sometimes go thru a planet so it's not 10m it's a half hour
3. draw distance and granular popip
4. Partially mined objects appear full until to get closer
5. No landing view so it's hard to put down near a site
6. Can't color customize a ship
7. Can't buy a ship later that you saw but did't have the money for
8. No Faction rating screen
9. No faction language screen with # and which words you've learned
10. can't rename an uploaded item
11. Can't see # of planets from the discovery screen
12. Celsius only, no F switch
13. No button remaping (Run on the L3 please)
14. Can't preview a ship cockpit view until AFTER you bought it
15. Can't preivew and items buil requriments unless you have an open space

Oh and it's lockups, every day. Crashes during warp. 

Hey, just had to answer some of those things.

1. The price tag most times is dev time * number of devs. I can understand the 60€, and didn't regret the purchase. If you think the game is to expensive, wait for a discount.
  2. Many of your points are most likely design decisions. Like them or not, they doesn't make the game an alpha version.
  3. Who wants Fahrenheit in such a game? There is a reason that weird scale isn't used in space engineering. 
  4. Some things are just limited due to the hardware of the PS4. I can understand that they are annoying, but I also don't see how to fix them without better hardware.
  5. You can remap your buttons on you PS4 if that would help, but you are right with that one. Some more options in the game would have been cool (more FOV if the PS4 is fast enough for an example).

The crashes have to fixed, yeah. Maybe they are a network problem due to server load?

• Like 1

I was bored of this game within an hour. There's just nothing to do other than constantly grind for resources. I regret purchasing this game.

Too bad you didn't like it.

If it helps, I've played 50+ hours right now and it becomes much less of a grind once you 'get' it. Only thing I really grind now is resources for warp cells and even that doesn't take me long - reason I'm grinding that is only because I want to get to the center now and I don't want to take the easy way of black hole shortcuts, so I'm filling my inventory with warp cells, jumping 20 times, exploring the system I end up in while getting the resources again. I've kept my starting ship (the pre-order Vector, see my sig at point of writing) which has but a few inventory slots, all but two filled with upgrades, and I've maxed out my exosuit on 48 inventory slots, about ten or twelve of which are spent on upgrades, meaning I have a lot of room now for whatever resources I find and it doesn't feel like a grind, I can just get whatever I find during my explorations.

That being said, there is very little to do in the game except for mining resources and scanning flora/fauna. The space battles only appear later on in the game. So if the whole feel of seeing another new system with planets to discover doesn't do anything for you, I totally get it if this game feels disappointing.

69 on Metacritic is absolutely brutal. I expected this to not live up to everyone's expectations but god damn

Mèh, a 70 (at the moment) is pretty good for such a love-it-or-hate-it game... Let's not even talk about the user rating with all the non-players downvoting it just because they can't stand people liking it. What I see in the 70 is that there is actually not a single reviewer who's giving it a completely bad review... Only 3 out of 31 critic reviews go under 60, with one 59 and two 50. That's a lot better than I thought this game would do since it's such a non-standard high profile game.

Mèh, a 70 (at the moment) is pretty good for such a love-it-or-hate-it game... Let's not even talk about the user rating with all the non-players downvoting it just because they can't stand people liking it. What I see in the 70 is that there is actually not a single reviewer who's giving it a completely bad review... Only 3 out of 31 critic reviews go under 60, with one 59 and two 50. That's a lot better than I thought this game would do since it's such a non-standard high profile game.

Eh. This was THE game pre-release, the one everyone hyped up as industry changing and truly innovative. 70 just seems...flaccid, in a way. Agree on user reviews though, fuck 'em. I'll always trust critics over shitty 0/10 and 10/10 reviews.

Edited by HaSoOoN-MHD

Eh. This was THE game pre-release, the one everyone hyped up as industry changing and truly innovative. 70 just seems...flaccid, in a way. Agree on user reviews though, fuck 'em. I'll always trust critics over shitty 0/10 and 10/10 reviews.

It was always going to be a divisive game though, the score reflects that. Even though I love the game (people throw 'loving a game' around so easy but this is easily for me the greatest surprise I have played since Black Flag hit me in the face) and have sunk more hours (over 50 already) in it than I have in any game in such short time, and even though I will play it for many hours to come, I would not give it a perfect score. They get 10/10 for effort though, that's for sure.

I enjoy No Man's Sky in short bursts. The repetition of exploring/collecting really isn't so bad but I agree with the poster above who said the game is like an alpha. It truly does feel like that with the lack of variety in the game & some of the graphical and gameplay shortcomings. I definitely would not recommend this game at $60 for the average consumer. It's more like a $20 purchase.

I give a lot of credit to the developers for trying something new and creating an interesting formula for planet discovery. The gameplay features that exist do shine.. I love learning new alien languages and upgrading my inventory and equipment. It does feel like it's missing something though. I understand it defeats the purpose to make the game less "lonely" and certainly would contradict the direction of the game to make it linear but I think it would be more fun if there were several clear objectives and quests with some linearity. In addition to other NPCs and combat. I'm not asking for a Call of Duty clone, but slaying some alien races would be kinda cool ! Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

For me the problem isn't with the gameplay style but the fact that everything is so generic. You never find anything interesting, all the ruins and settlements and space stations are the same. The point of exploring is to find interesting a new things, not the same plants with slight coloration differences. As a base the scope and planets are really cool, but it doesn't offer much in terms of things to do.

I hope they keep working and add all kinds of new things through updates.

Who wants Fahrenheit in such a game? There is a reason that weird scale isn't used in space engineering. 

I do damn it!   Without the small fire/snowflake symbols I'd probably catch on fire/freeze to death regularly (e.g. "Wow this planet has a very moderate 75 degree temperature."  :huh:   hahaha)

In all seriousness I would think it's like two lines of code to include a conversation (being its linear and all).  

the game was too overhyped for its own good.

I find it concerning how many people try to push this game more towards Mass Effect or Halo or even Call Of Duty territory, making it another bland shooter instead of keeping it the unique marvel that it is and that the devs wanted it to be. I know this game is not for everybody, But "this is not for me" can be enough instead of "this is how it can be for me".

I really really don't like Call Of Duty, but to all those out there who like it: go ahead. I'm not going to say "If only Call Of Duty could have a story like Wolfenstein, or have an open sandbox world then maybe I'd like it more".

YES, No Man's Sky has a lot that won't appeal to the standard gamer. NO, the game is not perfect. NO, it should not be different. It will get more stuff eventually but this is the game the devs wanted it to be. They even had to be persuaded to go develop a base build mode because they think it goes againt what they want the game to be: pure discovery of new planets and new life forms.

the game was too overhyped for its own good.

Sadly, yes. The hype made people get the game without really knowing what it was. Honestly, it was obvious to the core audience from the start. All they ever showed was walking, discovering, and a weeee bit of action, that's all. It's exactly how the game ended up being but somehow people still expected a Rogue Squadron / Mass Effect blend.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

I find it concerning how many people try to push this game more towards Mass Effect or Halo or even Call Of Duty territory, making it another bland shooter instead of keeping it the unique marvel that it is and that the devs wanted it to be. I know this game is not for everybody, But "this is not for me" can be enough instead of "this is how it can be for me".

I really really don't like Call Of Duty, but to all those out there who like it: go ahead. I'm not going to say "If only Call Of Duty could have a story like Wolfenstein, or have an open sandbox world then maybe I'd like it more".

YES, No Man's Sky has a lot that won't appeal to the standard gamer. NO, the game is not perfect. NO, it should not be different. It will get more stuff eventually but this is the game the devs wanted it to be. They even had to be persuaded to go develop a base build mode because they think it goes againt what they want the game to be: pure discovery of new planets and new life forms.

Spot-on. From what I've heard (and I've only heard), NMS has major issues, particularly on PC. But one of those issues isn't the fact that there are no RPG mechanics, or shooter action. You can't fault a game for what it was never intended to be.

Spot-on. From what I've heard (and I've only heard), NMS has major issues, particularly on PC. But one of those issues isn't the fact that there are no RPG mechanics, or shooter action. You can't fault a game for what it was never intended to be.

It has a few issues on PS4 as well but nothing out of the ordinary for a big game close after launch these days - in fact I had more problems with LEGO Star Wars The Force Awakens, which also had a day one patch.

It indeed seems to have more problems on PC but unless I'm mistaken, that happens a lot these days. Wasn't Arkham Knight completely unplayable?

Yep.

Sometimes, it's actually fun seeing PC master race getting inferior version =D

Basically stuff like this is why PC gaming never appealed to me. I'm lazy, I want to put the disc in and be ready to go, not worry about specs. They can have their modding and better graphics, I just want to have a machine that can keep me going for a few years until I buy another machine.

• Like 2

Lets give it a few days and see what happens, though if it is a letdown then the price will drop quicker and i'll buy it sooner :P

Judging by the sales at my Gamestop (a backwards redneck town where only CoD, NASCAR, and Farming Simulator sell well) we sold completely out and then sold several digital copies on top of that. So I imagine it sold well.

Judging by the sales at my Gamestop (a backwards redneck town where only CoD, NASCAR, and Farming Simulator sell well) we sold completely out and then sold several digital copies on top of that. So I imagine it sold well.

The leading game store at my country (where I often chat with the local manager) was completely sold out a few days after release, after word of mouth started setting in. That's sold out across the whole country. Last game they had that happen to was GTA V.

I will admit that this game was SUPER hyped up and that is a reason enough for most people to be disappointed with this game.

However, from the time that Hello Games announced No Man's Sky, it was advertised as an exploration game.

People saw a group of ships and probably assumed that it would be a multiplayer game, when really it is a single player experience. For someone to buy this game and say "It's stupid because it's not what we thought it was and there is no action or ability to play with friends." is just plain dumb. Remember, there are a shit ton of planets and the odds of meeting another player is probably a 1% chance. Also, I've noticed that the online servers remain offline constantly due to the amount of people playing, so even if you did find another player, you wouldn't see them.

If people took the time to do their research and actually listen to the developers and what they say about the game (and not every single rumor, statement or false information that is the internet), then maybe the game wouldn't have been as over hyped as it has been.

Enough ranting.

Personally, I LOVE this game! I will admit that I have crashed a few times (you know the blue screen with errors?) and I have experienced a few frame drops but that didn't bother me enough to quit the game. Inventory is a bit of a task at the start but I have found numerous upgrade pods on planets I've been to and am now sitting at around 24 slots!

If you love a challenge....get this game! If you love exploration...get this game! If you love mining, looting, or collecting resources...get this game! If you love discovering new animals, planets, species etc.....get. this. game!

I hope I didn't seem harsh but I sometimes have to shake my head at people. xD For those of you enjoying No Man's Sky like me, happy hunting and godspeed! lol

• Like 2

I've been wary of this game for a long time, and although admittedly I haven't 'kept up' with the info, from what I recall, the game was pushed as one having MP elements.   Whether the hype train mislead or the devs did, I'm not sure, perhaps the game had to be scaled back for one reason or another, but there's certainly some dodgy statements in there if NMS is a strict solo game...

As usual nowadays, once bitten and all that, I've as yet not purchased NMS, and not inclined to believe I will in it's current state.   So yes, I haven't played the game, but from the perspective of someone still considering an outlay, I've watched numerous reviews, impressions and let's plays, and I'm still not sold on it.   I do like a bit of exploration, and while I can see the appeal, and the effort made by such a small studio...it all looks a bit repetitive...too repetitive.   There seems very little to do other than resource management, and meander around for a bit then rinse and repeat.   I'm sure I'd probably have fun with it, for a while, but is it really worth AAA pricing?   

Reading this thread I can't tell who genuinely enjoys this game, and who has fallen into the rut of trying to defend a purchase.   I lasted 3 weeks trying to defend my day one, full price, digital Destiny purchase before I finally ceded it just wasn't very good, and saying that, the NMS rip off Destiny inventory screens really aren't a lure for me!  Some seem to be trying a little too hard to defend it and statements like 'If you love mining, looting, or collecting resources...' read as quite a stretch...granted I haven't played the game, but from what I've seen they're all pretty much the same thing?   Hey if I'm wrong about that...feel free to correct me.   Combat and trading 'looks' very basic, uninspired even...

I don't know, the game as it stands feels a bit too barren, lacking in something, but at the same time I am impressed with scope and concept of the game.   Maybe sometime later after apparent dlc, patches, and hopefully continued HG support, the game will appeal to me, but right now, for £50, I'm not being persuaded...and I do enjoy exploration.   I laughed at the Proteus comment, I spent some time with that game, and pleasantly messed around in it for a while, so I don't mean to sound too harsh on NMS, I likely would have some fun, but £50?   Hmmm