How do so many people have the platinum in this game?

alibomayeezy

With this being the first game I've played by From Soft, I've absolutely loved it so far. It's impressive in every aspect, and the most well designed and fully realized game I've ever played. With that being said, it's also the most cryptic, least accessible, and nerve wracking game I've ever played. It's a challenge from it's gameplay, story, online mechanics, items, optional areas, and at times is so haunting, dark, and brutal it makes me take a minute or two just to get away from for a breather before going back.

All of this, coupled with the large amount of content, and the overall experience of playing the game makes it all that more difficult for me to take in the fact that so many people have the platinum trophy, or at the very least a large amount of the trophies in this game. Judging by the other souls games, it appears that all of them have many more players that have gotten the platinum than your average game. Can someone explain why this is the case? The game itself is obviously much more challenging than most, and to get the platinum there are a few key trophies that are missable and some others that definitely need to be achieved using a guide. Hell, there are a few whole optional areas that I can't imagine most people would just casually stumble upon. Do the people playing these games really explore that much of the game, or are most of them following guides throughout the experience?

I've gotten 40 platinum trophies so far, with most of them not being too challenging, but all of which took a good amount of time and none of which were cheap or super easy platinums. While 40 isn't a huge amount, that's definitely more than your average player, and even on the higher side for those who do collect trophies. Even with my love of platinums and Bloodborne, I can't imagine going for the platinum in this game. Is it one of those cases where going for the platinum only makes the experience of the game better? Even in that case it seems like it would take around 50 hours minimum to get the platinum even if you were great at the game, let alone struggled in certain parts, which I'd imagine some people do. It's not like Bloodborne or any of the Souls games are for a small market. They sell in the millions, and yet still have some of the highest platinum averages I've seen for any games. Are these games just so well designed and rewarding that even the trophies feel worth conquering in the same way the rest of the game does, is the platinum a lot easier than I think, or are these games for a really specific group of passionate people who just so happen to be really big at this point?

It's a testament to how engrossing the Souls games are. And, like you suggested, it's easy (once you understand it) and the trophies are well designed in that they give players more rewarding challenges to pursue.

Hell, my friend that actively insults trophies went ahead & platted Bloodborne & DaS 3.

The difficulty comes from the game itself, but even then, people like to exaggerate on just how hard it is. There are far more difficult games in existence. It's just because people are used to having their hand held in the games we play today, so it just seems hard in comparison. The trophy list is very straightforward and dare I say "easy". If you're even half decent at the game, you can do it no problem.

The game is hard at first, but the more you play the better you get 

Isn't this the case with pretty much every game?  :P

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3

Because Bloodborne and the Souls games have dedicated fanbases, this is also a trophy collecting site, where a lot of people purposely go for plats so it would be pretty high. If you check Sony's plat % for it, I would imagine it's still pretty low.

'Because it's easy lolololol' is a reason you can apply to literally every other game, there will always be someone who finds it easy and others who find it difficult.

• Like 1

I'm not debating the idea that Bloodborne gets easier the longer you play it. With Coop, the number of guides, and the different tips on bosses, you can get through huge areas knowing a couple tips and beat bosses in your first try. What I AM debating is the accessibility of the platinum in this game. Many of the trophies in the game are tied to defeating bosses, who can sometimes be in completely optional areas. Shortcuts aren't always super obvious, and particular bosses/areas aren't obvious to get to. Cainhurst Castle is not something I think someone just playing the game would figure out. Finding the abandoned old workshop takes a little bit of precision, and getting to the Lecture Building/ Darkbeast Paarl both require methods that could occur accidentally, or could be missed out on completely. In these cases, it seems as though you'd have to read/watch a guide to access these areas. When you look at any other game, by like the halfway point of the game, the percentage of people who've gotten trophies has dropped drastically. In Bloodborne, even a place like Cainhurst has a pretty damn high percentage of players who accessed it.

Basically, is it just that a lot of people follow walk throughs/guides when they play these games? It would be a very high percentage of players, but I can understand wanting to see everything this game has to offer. With a lot of the optional areas I've come across so far, there wasn't any huge indicator to saying to die by the Amygdala or those snatchers in order to get to those areas.

The game is hard at first, but the more you play the better you get 

The difficulty comes from the game itself. It's just because people are used to having their hand held in the games we play today, so it just seems hard in comparison. The trophy list is very straightforward and dare I say "easy". If you're even half decent at the game, you can do it no problem.

I only played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls so far but i think you both are 100% correct with your answers...

During my first playtrough of Demon's Souls i died on every step i took. And the checkpoints were so scarce i almost cursed the game every time i died... These games doesn't hold you by your hands, they rip you apart...

But my second playthrough started way better... i died after the second boss fight just because i understood why i must fight <3

And yes, i was surprised too that despite being hard because it does things uncommon Demon's Souls is highly accepted... but once you know how this game works, you can beat it :)

• Like 1

Because Bloodborne and the Souls games have dedicated fanbases, this is also a trophy collecting site, where a lot of people purposely go for plats so it would be pretty high. If you check Sony's plat % for it, I would imagine it's still pretty low.

'Because it's easy lolololol' is a reason you can apply to literally every other game, there will always be someone who finds it easy and others who find it difficult.

Absolutely. Of course it makes sense that a high percentage of players on this site have the trophies, but even on PSN the numbers are high. Most plats on PSN have anywhere from 0.1% achievers to 1%, a pretty small number around that range is common. Even relatively easy plats IMO like Uncharted 4 is at like 5% on PSN if I remember correctly. For Bloodborne, on PSN it's 7%. That's around 1 in every 14 players who has trophies in this game has the platinum. That's ridiculously high for a game that certainly has some missable areas/trophies, and especially one that takes 50 hours or more to plat.

The "Game is easy" argument is weird to me here, too. To me, Hotline Miami was pretty easy by the time I was finished with the platinum, but I know many who'd disagree. It took many hours of practice to get to that point, in a plat that takes 20 hours at most to get. Yet that platinum is only around 10% on this site, which is strange. Now I may look back at it now and say it's easy, but there was definitely points in that game that were challenging, and I think every person who's played Bloodborne has atleast 1 boss, or area, or enemy in general that's a little difficult to overcome. Not to mention, Bloodborne is still a game that many people who don't even care about trophies seem to get a platinum in. That's the strangest part to me.

• Like 1

Because Bloodborne and the Souls games have dedicated fanbases [...]

Exactly this. These games are not super hard per se, but they require commitment and patience. The majority of gamers don't have either the time or will to push through, or simply don't enjoy these types of games, but those who do (the core audience) will absolutely devour even the last bit of content these games have to offer.

• Like 4

The difficulty comes from the game itself, but even then, people like to exaggerate on just how hard it is. There are far more difficult games in existence. It's just because people are used to having their hand held in the games we play today, so it just seems hard in comparison. The trophy list is very straightforward and dare I say "easy". If you're even half decent at the game, you can do it no problem.

Yes, but most games don't start with the difficulty like the souls games. Granted souls 3 was pretty easy from the start.

The souls series are challenging games that's for sure, but like their brothers, coop drops the difficulty too much. If the games were solo first playthrough and coop on new game plus for example it would escalate. However I'm very happy that people love this series and plays without letting the game go until Plat. Bloodborne still one of the best games this generation, so I'm happy people supported it.

• Like 2