Witcher 3-GOTY saves not compatible--Separate Trophy Lists

skateak

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's impending Game of the Year Edition will include all of the game's DLC, but there's one notable caveat: your save data from the original game won't transfer over to this complete collection.

Developer CD Projekt Red's community lead Marcin Momot stated on the game's forums "The save files on consoles won't be compatible between different game versions (GOTY vs regular version) as they are treated by systems as separate products. This is something that's not up to us. Sorry."

Momot also noted on Twitter  that the GOTY Edition will have its own separate Achievements list.

For most players this incompatibility between the formats won't be an issue as the GOTY Edition is meant for newcomers. But to collectors, folks who got rid of their original copies, or those who eventually find the complete version discounted, it's worth a heads up that your progress and Achievements will not transfer.

We've asked publisher Namco Bandai about this incompatibility and will update should we find out more.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition is due worldwide on 30th August for PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Source

Edited by skateak

Separate trophy lists? Count me in!

It's weird how they say that treating the regular version and the GOTY edition as separate products "is something that's not up to us". Who is it up to then? I mean there are plenty of GOTY editions that share the same trophy lists/saves, etc. Hmmm...

• Like 3

It's weird how they say that treating the regular version and the GOTY edition as separate products "is something that's not up to us". Who is it up to then? I mean there are plenty of GOTY editions that share the same trophy lists/saves, etc. Hmmm...

Perhaps things have changed? I wouldn't know as I have no GOTY editions for my PS4 but maybe the publisher decides what to treat as a separate product or not.

• Like 2

Perhaps things have changed? I wouldn't know as I have no GOTY editions for my PS4 but maybe the publisher decides what to treat as a separate product or not.

I would say it is Namco being behind the times. Borderlands Handsome Collection, Diablo 3 and others all have compatible saves.

Well The Witcher 3 has separate publishers for North America and Europe. Warner Brothers and Bandai Namco. I don't feel like they have that much control over what CD Projeckt Red do with their game, so I'd be surprised if that was the reason.

I'm pretty sure Witcher 3 was self published? WB and BN just had a hand in the distribution..

But anyhow, I see no one blaming Sony, not sure why. They are the kind of idiots that would do something like this... Don't get me wrong new list cool sauce, but it's probably Sony's fault more so than the distributors.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Witcher 3 was self published? WB and BN just had a hand in the distribution..

Ah yes, I think you're right. They couldn't of had anything to do with it then.

But anyhow, I see no one blaming Sony, not sure why. They are the kind of idiots that would do something like this... Don't get me wrong new list cool sauce, but it's probably Sony's fault more so than the distributors.

But why would Sony do this to The Witcher 3 and none of the other GOTY editions on PS4?

• Like 1

But why would Sony do this to The Witcher 3 and none of the other GOTY editions on PS4?

Honestly dunno, I'm just inclined to believe Sony messed up somewhere :dunno: Dunno much about US Sony, but EU Sony are a bunch of morons xD Not sure how PSN functions AT ALL with them maintaining and handling it.

• Like 1

Ah. You are correct. I wasn't aware of that.

Ah yes, I think you're right. They couldn't of had anything to do with it then.

I wonder if this is just a case of miscommunication between Sony and CDPR? They have been pretty consistent with their patching of the game, a new patch is even coming out on the launch of the GOTY. I wouldn't doubt if they patch it in later or something.

• Like 2

Shadow of Mordor had a separate list for its GOTY edition. It's the only other one I can think of though

I think he is talking about the saves not being compatible. Not the trophy lists. 

Edit: I was corrected by The_Kopite

Edited by skateak

I think he is talking about the saves not being compatible. Not the trophy lists. You did just name another example though. The Shadow of Mordor saves work with the GOTY edition too.

I finished Shadow of Mordor GOTY edition a while ago now, but I decided to buy that cheap and trade in the original version, and my save from the original (I had played a handful of hours) wouldn't transfer or work on the GOTY version at all. Unless they patched that at a later date after I got rid of the GOTY edition.....

I finished Shadow of Mordor GOTY edition a while ago now, but I decided to buy that cheap and trade in the original version, and my save from the original (I had played a handful of hours) wouldn't transfer or work on the GOTY version at all. Unless they patched that at a later date after I got rid of the GOTY edition.....

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Looked into it more and you are correct. That is pretty dumb. 

Edited by skateak

Yikes! Not looking forward to Overkill trophy. It gave me so much trouble, think l will pass this time.

Easy! I just did it the other day on my way to the Plat. You shoot a bandit at the Devil's Pit with a tracking bolt (100% chance of bleeding). Then you throw the bomb that inflicts poison, then the fire bomb. Rinse and repeat ten times. 

The headshot one, on the other hand, is garbage.

Easy! I just did it the other day on my way to the Plat. You shoot a bandit at the Devil's Pit with a tracking bolt (100% chance of bleeding). Then you throw the bomb that inflicts poison, then the fire bomb. Rinse and repeat ten times. 

The headshot one, on the other hand, is garbage.

Yup, that was my method but somehow that trophy took me 3 days. I am not giving you bullshit man, 3 days and l tried like 6 hours every god damn day. It popped when l was about to give up :)

Headshot on the other hand, l enjoyed it a lot and somehow l got it within probably less than an hour :)