Is it too late to get into Destiny?

Skylar-Dad

Hello everyone!

I've never played Destiny (don't judge, ha ha) and was wondering if it's too late to get into the game? I would like to pick up one FPS that I can play for a long time and I am also a completionist. I like to 100% my games, hence currently putting myself through the arduous grind of getting to Underground Rank 40 in The Division (again, don't judge).

So my question comes from two perspectives:

1. Related to the density of the player base, is it too late to get into Destiny and find clans with people that still play regularly with an opportunity to complete the strike and raid related trophies?

2. Related to story and gameplay, is Destiny worth the time investment?

I really do appreciate your input. I'm an older gamer with limited time and a family but I am looking for one game that I can really devote to that will carry my through into 2017. Thank you for reading and best regards.

Definitely not too late to start as long as you buy the most recent release, e.g., the taken king or wait a few weeks for the collection that includes rise of iron. I see plenty of people running content every week (including me and others in this psnp community). Since there is a lot to be explained, Bungie incentivizes new players to find a sherpa and veteran players to help out new comers. We have a thread for the purpose of linking new players with veterans. The game is really fun and there's so much content to get through for a new player. You'll have plenty to keep you busy and a bunch of players typically come back when a new release hits, which will be on 20 September.

No, it isn't. Destiny has an extremely active player base, even on the PS3. If you're into multiplayer (called Crucible on Destiny) you will be able to find full matches everytime.

Strikes, raids, missions, whatever suits your tstes. The Destiny player base continues to grow with each improvement Bungie makes.

Edited by Rin Kagamine

I appreciate the feedback! I will wait until The Collection comes out to buy Destiny. Is there a PSN Profiles clan I can join? Are there still people out there looking to do flawless strikes and raids? Thank you!

There are TONS of people still looking to do flawless strikes and RAIDS. You'll have no trouble finding 6 people to do some raids, although for someone starting out it's going to take about 20+ hours before you can do a raid without the enemy AI wiping the floor with you. It's quite fun when you have a group of friends playing. The good thing is after Rise Of Iron next month there is no more DLC to purchase, so I would either start now and keep in mind you'll have to cough up about $30 next month or wait until the complete game comes out then. 

I don't suggest starting. It is a terrible game with an indlsane amount of DLC to buy. It isn't too late to start but I'm pretty confident in saying you will regret it.

Avoid this game like the plague that it is.

Just curious...why is the game terrible? I don't want to regret a purchase, so I appreciate your input. Thank you!

Just curious...why is the game terrible? I don't want to regret a purchase, so I appreciate your input. Thank you!

The game is a very shallow experience. You basically run from point A to point B collecting bad equipment. All equipment you get will be crap until you get to rank 30. Then you become a slave to RNG until you get a high light level. This occurs over the span of 60 hours roughly. Killing the same enemies over and over and doing literally nothing of importance or significance.

Then you are able to do a raid or two (that I will admit are relatively fun with a good group of people). However, you are now expected to play the same raid over and over with the hope of getting slightly better equipment.

It's just really boring.

Oh, and the multi-player is super unbalanced. If you are a low level you won't be able to get a kill, even in the matches that are supposed to not be impacted by light level.

As above regarding the gameplay. It's solid, even fun and there's absolutely no issue with servers being populated.

However...

2. Related to story

The story is diabolically bad in that it has barely has one. Considering they created Halo, Destiny is seriously lacklustre

As above regarding the gameplay. It's solid, even fun and there's absolutely no issue with servers being populated.

However...

The story is diabolically bad in that it has barely has one. Considering they created Halo, Destiny is seriously lacklustre

That is a shame. I really liked Halo. It was the reason I got the original Xbox.

You can buy the collection and it gives you everything from The Taken King to play right now, then Rise of Iron when it releases. Collection is already "released", it's just the current complete bundle.

Game is a lot better if you have friends to play it with. You probably won't get as much out of it if you are running all the story stuff solo then LFGing all the time for groups for raids and stuff.

You can buy the collection and it gives you everything from The Taken King to play right now, then Rise of Iron when it releases. Collection is already "released", it's just the current complete bundle.

Game is a lot better if you have friends to play it with. You probably won't get as much out of it if you are running all the story stuff solo then LFGing all the time for groups for raids and stuff.

I noticed that in the PS Store. It mentions that there is a level 40 player upgrade. Does anyone know if that comes right away or is only available when the expansion goes live on September 20th.

Unfortunately I don't have friends that play Destiny, so I would be going solo a lot. I hope there is a way to connect with people and find groups to do strikes and raids.

I noticed that in the PS Store. It mentions that there is a level 40 player upgrade. Does anyone know if that comes right away or is only available when the expansion goes live on September 20th.

Unfortunately I don't have friends that play Destiny, so I would be going solo a lot. I hope there is a way to connect with people and find groups to do strikes and raids.

Post on bungie.net says you get it on RoI release day. If it functions the same as the previous level boost they released after TTK using it wouldn't be recommended, as it just sticks your character at that level without leveling your sub classes or anything. It's better to just run through all the previous story in a row and by the time you reach the new content you should be around the required level for it.

There's lots of sites specifically set up for finding groups to play stuff with in Destiny, as well as places like the reddit communities where there are people dedicated to helping out new players and teaching them some of the content such as raid mechanics. If you want to find people to play with its very easy to do so.

As an alternative, download Warframe, much better game, much more depth and fun gameplay, good community and best of all free.   I own Destiny, played for 3 weeks, enjoyed the first week, was bored out of my skull weeks 2 & 3 trying to convince myself I hadn't wasted money on a digital purchase.   Gunplay is solid, it looks pretty, but that was about it for me.   Competitive MP is decent, if that's your thing, personally I get bored with the usual deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture the flag variants that most every MP involves.   The loot system is exceptionally dull, or at least it was.  Couldn't tell you what it's like now (the game in general), although best I've heard is it's a decent game...after you've spent about $150 extra for dlc!

As I said, I think Warframe is the better game, but it's very confusing to begin with and takes a decent amount of time to get to grips with, worth it though, especially for a F2P.

Edited by RedMustang72

after you've spent about $150 extra for dlc!

Nobody starting it now needs to pay that much. They don't even allow you to buy the old dlc on its own anymore, it's just $60 (or regional equivalent) for The Collection with everything.

Edited by Gage

The game is a very shallow experience. You basically run from point A to point B collecting bad equipment. All equipment you get will be crap until you get to rank 30. Then you become a slave to RNG until you get a high light level. This occurs over the span of 60 hours roughly. Killing the same enemies over and over and doing literally nothing of importance or significance.

Then you are able to do a raid or two (that I will admit are relatively fun with a good group of people). However, you are now expected to play the same raid over and over with the hope of getting slightly better equipment.

It's just really boring.

Oh, and the multi-player is super unbalanced. If you are a low level you won't be able to get a kill, even in the matches that are supposed to not be impacted by light level.

Don't forget the part where you can't do Raids without decent teams, so a big part of the game is unplayable if you don't have much free time.

Nobody starting it now needs to pay that much. They don't even allow you to buy the old dlc on its own anymore, it's just $60 (or regional equivalent) for The Collection with everything.

Yeah, it was kind of a joke, that the game needs you to spend extra on dlc before there's something resembling a decent game to play, even then I'd be skeptical tbh   Fair enough if the collection has everything, even the new upcoming dlc?   Still, after playing what I played...  :P

Hello everyone!

I've never played Destiny (don't judge, ha ha) and was wondering if it's too late to get into the game? I would like to pick up one FPS that I can play for a long time and I am also a completionist. I like to 100% my games, hence currently putting myself through the arduous grind of getting to Underground Rank 40 in The Division (again, don't judge).

So my question comes from two perspectives:

1. Related to the density of the player base, is it too late to get into Destiny and find clans with people that still play regularly with an opportunity to complete the strike and raid related trophies?

2. Related to story and gameplay, is Destiny worth the time investment?

I really do appreciate your input. I'm an older gamer with limited time and a family but I am looking for one game that I can really devote to that will carry my through into 2017. Thank you for reading and best regards.

I was looking to get The Collection as well, seeing as how a lot of my friends on PSN are playing Destiny 24/7, while I sit on BO3. But watching the guides on YouTube gets to be totally confusing. I think PSNStore has a demo for Destiny, not sure. But if so, I'll try that out before spending a good amount of money on the disc. 

Yeah, it was kind of a joke, that the game needs you to spend extra on dlc before there's something resembling a decent game to play, even then I'd be skeptical tbh   Fair enough if the collection has everything, even the new upcoming dlc?   Still, after playing what I played...   :P

Yeah, it's the current complete version, just like if you had bought TTK Legendary when that came out. Pretty sure they didn't actually sell that until TTK launched though so they were smarter about it this time in switching it to the collection before the release and giving all current stuff immediately.

Probably as good a time as any. It gets you prepared for the new expansion, which drops in less than a month. That will bring back some of the people that are bored of the game.

I personally wouldn't recommend anybody to bother with Destiny. But that stems from me no longer finding it even remotely enjoyable anymore.

Yeah, it's the current complete version, just like if you had bought TTK Legendary when that came out. Pretty sure they didn't actually sell that until TTK launched though so they were smarter about it this time in switching it to the collection before the release and giving all current stuff immediately.

Yeah that is a good bundle, but it'd still really depend on how good the game is, or how much it's improved.   I thought the loot system was dull, character levelling was uninspired, really got bored with the light levels...there was a lot about the game I just really thought was poor.   Does every other mission still culminate in horde mode?  Are there new enemies?   Sparrow racing?   Etc...

Maybe it's just not what I like, I get the game has it's community, so it must have something attracting players...I just got bored, quickly tbh.