Suggestion: Fix how completion percentages calculate

It's late, but I'm going to do the best that I can to adequately describe myself.

A game that I really realized a problem with completion was The Walking Dead Season 2. If you go over the average completion for each trophy, the problem is plain to see. The very first trophy for the first episode, which should obviously be the most common trophy in the game -- you get it within the first five-ten minutes of the game, and you aren't going to start another episode until you start Episode 1 -- yet the average completion for this example is 89%. Fairly high? Of course. But let's skim down to the DLC trophies. Every single one of them is 98 or 99% rarity. So the easiest trophy in the game that everyone, free players and otherwise, should have... isn't the most common trophy? And this is where the problem lies.

The website is currently structured to automatically register when a player buys a game, they have the DLC included. This current example isn't much of a problem. Tons of people buy the season pass and get all the trophies. So what's the problem? Well, going back to the example, there is a free download for Episode 1 of TWDS2. Anybody can download it and get the trophies without spending a dime. However you cannot get any other episode for free. PSNP assumes you own the DLC by default and adjusts your completion percentage accordingly.

I find this not only wrong, but borderline outrageous. My average rarity percentage got DEMOLISHED because I earned 32 trophies with 98-99% rarity. Don't think this problem is strictly for this one game. Let's say you buy Driveclub, and you sync the game up after getting a few trophies. Your completion isn't going down based on the base game. It's going down based on every single fucking trophy in the game, which is 128 trophies. (Look at the DLC completions for that game for further luls.) 

Considering the site recently (within the last year?) added the feature that if you start a game but don't earn a trophy for it, the site doesn't sync the game on your profile, I think that it needs to do the same for the DLC trophies. Why is it even in place? Why do you handicap players into forcing them to take out their wallet and buy something they may not have any interest in getting, except just to fix their %?

Maybe calling this a problem is subjective on my behalf, but I don't see the point in it at all. Feel free to rip me apart. As a side note, I know for a FACT there are other trophy tracking sites (not going to bother listing them, but knowledgeable individuals should know of them already) don't accumulate DLC trophies in your percentage at all. (My completion on PSNP is currently 55.41%. On another site, my percentage is 60.60%.) Wow, only five percent difference, be quiet, scrub lord.

I want the ability to buy a game and enjoy it for what it is, and not be forced into paying more just to fix up my percentage. If I like a game enough, that should give me that incentive to get the bonus trophies that the DLCs offer.

(This post in no way, shape or form is in no way in spite of the upcoming Destiny expansion, which I have zero interest in ever touching, that will annihilate my 100% completion. Definitely not.)

• Like 1

I don't see DLC being removed from completion %. Whether we like it or not if you don't have the DLC trophies you don't have 100% in that game. If you remove DLC from the overall % why not multiplayer trophies or unobtainable trophies?

I believe the upcoming site update is removing the average rarity stat so that part of your suggestion might already in motion

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 2

The website is currently structured to automatically register when a player buys a game, they have the DLC included.

I find this not only wrong, but borderline outrageous. 

I want the ability to buy a game and enjoy it for what it is, and not be forced into paying more just to fix up my percentage.

I generally don't pic up DLC, except in GOTY or complete editions, but I fully accept you cannot 100% a game unless you have played 100% of the game, which includes DLC.

You *can* buy a game and enjoy it for what it is. Just stop caring about some arbitrary number. You're forcing yourself if you care about such a meaningless number, no one else is forcing you to do anything.

I've said it before that DLC should be calculated outside of the main game. It is NOT part of the main game, it's a subcatergory of the main game.

Metal gear Rising Main game trophies

- DLC Trophies

- DLC Trophies

- DLC Trophies

That's how it should be in my opinion. It's a simular issue, but this time for completion's sake. In order to get Metal Gear Rising 100%  I need to spend another twenty euros. I haven't done that because I think it's absurd. I don't know much about website design. But is it really that difficult to make DLC count as sub categories of main games that you can 100% separately?

I don't see DLC being removed from completion %. Whether we like it or not if you don't have the DLC trophies you don't have 100% in that game. If you remove DLC from the overall % why not multiplayer trophies or unobtainable trophies?

I believe the upcoming site update is removing the average rarity stat so that part of your suggestion might already in motion

Because multiplayer trophies and unobtainable don't require you to pay more money to get the trophies. I'd love to have DLC being removed from your profile unless you earn a trophy for it. It would be so much better and nicer to not have to worry about your completion % cuz of some stupid DLC. And also some DLC could be removed from the store so you can't earn the trophies for them anyway.

• Like 1