JRPGs Recommendations (preferably no Random Encounters)

MosesRockefeller

Nah, what we actually need is universal Language -> Japanese translator so everything can be in Japanese :awesome:

I knew you'd say something along those lines, you are nothing if not predictable.  :lol: 

Lol :lol:, you should definitely watch the video.

Wow, that was amazing. Although I don't think the world can withstand TWO Weskers like it had at the end. There is Complete Global Saturation, and Complete Global OVERSaturation after all.  :awesome:

MDN VII has random encounters again. They're on the overworld map instead of the dungeons though.

Well that's frustrating, but still I'm sure they're handled better than in HDN1 now that the developers have had years to work on the series. If nothing else, it shouldn't take as long to load the initial combat animations.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Well that's frustrating, but still I'm sure they're handled better than in HDN1 now that the developers have had years to work on the series. If nothing else, it shouldn't take as long to load the initial combat animations.

I started with the Re;birth trilogy and the gameplay in MDN VII feels like a huge step backwards from them. The animations load more quickly, but everything else is a mess. The story seems like the only redeeming quality for the game.

Wow, that was amazing. Although I don't think the world can withstand TWO Weskers like it had at the end. There is Complete Global Saturation, and Complete Global OVERSaturation after all.  :awesome:

:facepalm: Why would anyone create that video ...

I started with the Re;birth trilogy and the gameplay in MDN VII feels like a huge step backwards from them. The animations load more quickly, but everything else is a mess. The story seems like the only redeeming quality for the game.

That sounds disappointing, I was interested in MDN.

Besides the questionable overworld and hilariously awful Spelunky clone, I found MDN a lot better. The lack of need to raise an EXE guage to max before/during a fight to finish off a boss all at once, skills actually doing damage, slicker UI, no ridiculously small dungeons (admittedly some of them are now pointlessly big), increased walking speed, and other small things made me feel the game is more polished.

And since I actually never answered the op, time to actually answer. If you want a simple, cute tactical RPG, try Luminous Arc 3 (While Stella Glow is the effective the sequal, I personally don't want to support its English version given Atlus's lackluster dub imo. Also, as a game, the endgame feels like a forced difficulty jump, maybe because of being forced to release the game under bankruptcy)

I'll second most of the Tales of games. However, if you really dislike random encounters, you can play the original ToH (not ToHR), which I personally found far more hilarious (easy 100 combos for everyone). Just avoid Innoncence and Tempest.  

You can also head back to old Mother 1-3 games (Earthbound), or for other Nintendo games, maybe Paper Mario  and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (The last good Paper Mario xD)

Besides the questionable overworld and hilariously awful Spelunky clone, I found MDN a lot better. The lack of need to raise an EXE guage to max before/during a fight to finish off a boss all at once, skills actually doing damage, slicker UI, no ridiculously small dungeons (admittedly some of them are now pointlessly big), increased walking speed, and other small things made me feel the game is more polished.

My main problem is the split from Physical and Magical attacks to non-elemental and elemental attacks. It feels like going from 4th+ gen pokemon to 3rd- gen pokemon in that regard. Trying to use an attack with Blanc that would have used her physical damage in a previous game does very little damage because it takes 70% of its power from her elemental damage. It's just like using Fire Punch with a Hitmonchan and being surprised that it does very little damage.

My second biggest problem is with the combo system. Having combos be limited by which weapon you use and not being able to use the same attack multiple times in a combo are both terrible ideas.

I don't really like that transformations require EXE drive instead of MP. Because it's so easy to charge the EXE drive it's not a huge deal though.

My second biggest problem is with the combo system. Having combos be limited by which weapon you use and not being able to use the same attack multiple times in a combo are both terrible ideas.

This was fun in terms of figuring out the best combo, but I do agree that it was annoying to keep switching whenever I got a new weapon...

For that reason, I kept the low damage weapons.

Anyway, Trails in the Sky (Sora no Kiseki) series is the recommended start. You should play both because FC and SC are one story split into two games (you will realize it, FC ends on HUGE cliffhanger :D) similarly to Trails of Cold Steel (Sen no Kisek) :D You should play both games in both series =D

Two questions about Trails in the Sky: 

1. Wikipedia says it is inspired by the movie "Castle in the Sky". Is that true? If so, awesome. :)

2. Is the heroine here the inspiration for Estelle in Hyperdevotion Noire? If so, is Estelle Bright always looking for "Legendary" things and using her patented "boing boing" move?  :eyebrow:

1. Wikipedia says it is inspired by the movie "Castle in the Sky". Is that true? If so, awesome. :)

2. Is the heroine here the inspiration for Estelle in Hyperdevotion Noire? If so, is Estelle Bright always looking for "Legendary" things and using her patented "boing boing" move?  :eyebrow:

1. Dunno, really. Miyazaki influenced the whole industry so it's hard to say no =D

2. Nope, Nep Estelle is Dragon Quest

1. Dunno, really. Miyazaki influenced the whole industry so it's hard to say no =D

2. Nope, Nep Estelle is Dragon Quest

1. Well I think the comment was in reference to the sky castle theme. Since I haven't played it yet I didn't know if it had any specific story parallels. 

2. That is... interesting, since DQ is typically on Nintendo platforms. Estelle in Nep is definitely NOT consistent with the Nintendo family-friendly "brand image".  xD

1. Well I think the comment was in reference to the sky castle theme. Since I haven't played it yet I didn't know if it had any specific story parallels. 

Probably the setting can be somehow compared =D If you like the setting of Laputa, you won't be disappointed =D

2. That is... interesting, since DQ is typically on Nintendo platforms. Estelle in Nep is definitely NOT consistent with the Nintendo family-friendly "brand image".  xD

Neps always do things differently :awesome:

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

:facepalm: Why would anyone create that video ...

That sounds disappointing, I was interested in MDN.

Don't let someone's opinion of the game keep you from playing it. What feels like a step back to them could mean nothing to you. Play the demo (if one is available) and decide for yourself.

During the late PS and PS2 era DQ had their launch release of DQVII and DQVIII on those (as well as a rerelease of DQ5). If I remember correctly, Noire was supposed to show how important partner's were to Sony in the PS2 era, which made the choice sensible.

Sweet Home, Majuu Ou, Clock Tower, classic Shin Megami Tensei and all of these horror VNs from the SNES say hi.

Or how about on the NES:

About to get it on like James Bond (Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode)

berlin_at_night2.png

Clean up on aisle sieben (Robot Hitler's head explodes in Bionic Commando)

ripbc.png

Edited by awf9495

Sweet Home, Majuu Ou, Clock Tower, classic Shin Megami Tensei and all of these horror VNs from the SNES say hi.

Or how about on the NES:

About to get it on like James Bond (Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode)

berlin_at_night2.png

Clean up on aisle sieben (Robot Hitler's head explodes in Bionic Commando)

ripbc.png

Oh how much Ninty changed.

Golgo 13. Oh, the memories. 

But Hitler's head exploding is perfect family material. I remember Dave Chappelle talking about how he would kill a slave owner on The Chappelle Show every episode if he could. I feel the same about Hitler.

I played Wolfenstein 3D when I was 14 or 15, and watching Hitler's bloody demise is one of my cherished childhood memories. :)

Anyway, yeah, Nintendo has definitely changed... it's at least partially the Wii's fault. I think the success of that platform with moms and kids caused Nintendo to make things more kiddie-friendly. All the third party developers jumping ship probably contributed as well. 

Back on topic, I grabbed the PSP version of Trails in the Sky 1 on PSN, so I now have tits on my Vita. :)

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Best purchase you could ever do!

So I started the game and got to the point of rescuing the two boys from the tower. I haven't really experienced enough yet to get a feel for the game as a whole, but so far I'm liking it. The humor is good (which is very important to me since I love the dialog in the HDN games) and the combat is fun so far. I am assuming there is NO voice acting in the USA PSP version? The only voices I've heard are during combat. I don't mind reading the text, but I'd rather at least have the Japanese voices to listen to instead of nothing. Maybe it would have made the game too big for the PSP? 

Also, I picked up a few JRPGs during the USA PSN flash sale, as if I needed more games for the backlog. :)

So I started the game and got to the point of rescuing the two boys from the tower. I haven't really experienced enough yet to get a feel for the game as a whole, but so far I'm liking it. The humor is good (which is very important to me since I love the dialog in the HDN games) and the combat is fun so far. I am assuming there is NO voice acting in the USA PSP version? The only voices I've heard are during combat. I don't mind reading the text, but I'd rather at least have the Japanese voices to listen to instead of nothing. Maybe it would have made the game too big for the PSP? 

There is no voice acting (except the battle, that is) in the PSP versions.

This is the true essence of old-school JRPGs, you read, read, read and read :) That's actually the reason why lazy modern gamers either do not like Kiseki games or simply do not even try them. :/

And it's also reason why EVOLUTION versions exist. Full voice acting is the main reason why they were developed and main selling point. (Because frankly, they are Vita games, they do not get on sale so 95% of buyers are Kiseki fans and they obviously have the games completed at least once =D)

What you are supposed to listen is the BGM :D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami