Legit or not Legit

DanielVT

Legit or not Legit  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is using cheat codes that developers purposely place in a game, or glitches that developers are more than aware of constitute as illegitimate?

• No, it's perfectly fair. It's not boosting, and it saves valuable time. It's not like you are hacking or once again, it is not boosting.
    • It is absolutely cheating, and it will ruin your perfect record DanielVT

Hello Everyone!

I need to see what the community thinks about something. As everyone knows, I am a 100% Legit gamer. I never boost, and never will. However, I have been debating whether or not to use developer created cheat codes (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed) or to use well-known glitches (JAK II & III) to get trophies faster. I have a busy life, and I would prefer to not waste time when there is a faster method to accomplishing a trophy. One is still completing the trophy requirement, just in a bit of a different way. I do not personally think it is illegitimate, as I am not hacking a game, nor would I be boosting. I just want to see what everyone else thinks. I want to keep my bragging rights as I am nearly 3,000 trophies in. Thanks everyone, and I will close the poll by the time I finish KZ3 MP's Platinum. Until then, vote away!

Edited by DanielVT

Personally, I don't feel it is legitimate if you take advantage of a glitch because the game was not intended to be played like that regardless of whether or not the developer knows about the flaw. I feel trophies shouldn't be about braggind rights but moreso your own personal accomplishments and I know I'd ratehr do something the right way than cheat to do it, but if all you care about is trophy count (not specifically you Daniel, I'm speaking in general) than it really doesn't make a difference.

Parker

• Like 4

Personally, I don't feel it is legitimate if you take advantage of a glitch because the game was not intended to be played like that regardless of whether or not the developer knows about the flaw. I feel trophies shouldn't be about braggind rights but moreso your own personal accomplishments and I know I'd ratehr do something the right way than cheat to do it, but if all you care about is trophy count (not specifically you Daniel, I'm speaking in general) than it really doesn't make a difference.

Parker

I really just care about getting the trophies and finishing up the games, while getting the whole experience. To me the experience is tarnished if I have to just think about getting all collectables etc. As for the Force Unleashed I have already played it around 3-4 times. So I have the experience for sure, now I want the trophies, and if the developers created "cheats" that did not disable trophies, it seems legitimate. As for the Jak games, I want to finish the games and enjoy them, and not have to stress out about getting all the collectables. Using the "glitch" still follows the requirement of the trophy which is "collect all x precursor orbs". This way I don't have to waste unnecessary hours of my life in frustration. I will do it all this way if the majority of the community says that it would not tarnish my legit record (which I care alot about). Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1

In my personal opinion, if you actually took the time to achieve the trophy (glitch or what not) then you earned it fair and square. It's not as if you took someone else's save to use to get a plat and if that was the case (which it isn't here), then that would be cheating and 0% legit in any way, shape, or form. Personally, I think it's not that big of a deal if you use a glitch or a cheat code (that the developer made themselves).

As long as you enjoyed the game and have fun, don't worry about it. B)

• Like 2

As long as it's offline, go have fun, screw around, glitch your game, mod it, hack it. But if it is for online purpose and be #1 leaderboard with 99999999999999999 point and screw legit player of their legitimate place or like in some RPG have every item in the game, maximum stats and then bring this character online just to show off and make the game boring to other people, then no, get lost.

I feel that boosting and glitching trophies are in the same category. You're still playing the game, but you're not unlocking the trophy as the developers intended. I don't see anything wrong with either as long as it's not affecting another person's game though.

If you're after bragging rights, I think you're morally obligated to yourself to do it legit. I mean, if legit is that important to you, why would it be all right to glitch in sp and not boost? I would think you're own stance for not boosting mp would carry over to not glitching or cheating in sp. It just seems hypocritical to me to say one is wrong and the other is ok.

• Like 1

I feel that boosting and glitching trophies are in the same category. You're still playing the game, but you're not unlocking the trophy as the developers intended. I don't see anything wrong with either as long as it's not affecting another person's game though.

If you're after bragging rights, I think you're morally obligated to yourself to do it legit. I mean, if legit is that important to you, why would it be all right to glitch in sp and not boost? I would think you're own stance for not boosting mp would carry over to not glitching or cheating in sp. It just seems hypocritical to me to say one is wrong and the other is ok.

Well, I farm kills in SP all the time. In SP games it just does not feel like cheating. In MP it does and I cannot tell why I feel that way.

In my personal opinion, if you actually took the time to achieve the trophy (glitch or what not) then you earned it fair and square. It's not as if you took someone else's save to use to get a plat and if that was the case (which it isn't here), then that would be cheating and 0% legit in any way, shape, or form. Personally, I think it's not that big of a deal if you use a glitch or a cheat code (that the developer made themselves).

As long as you enjoyed the game and have fun, don't worry about it. B)

Agreed, this is pretty much what I am thinking at the moment. It does not feel non-legit at all. If I was hacking, yes. Using developer made shortcuts...no.

I think it's legit. There is nothing wrong with boosting with friends.

Agreed, although I am not boosting as this is offline sp. I never boost trophies and never shall, in that way I still consider myself 100% legit.

Edited by DanielVT

Well, I farm kills in SP all the time. In SP games it just does not feel like cheating. In MP it does and I cannot tell why I feel that way.

Farming kills in sp or mp isn't glitching or cheating though. Using invisible boundaries or unlimited ammo is glitching and trading wins is an example of boosting. What exactly are you considering a glitch or cheat?

Farming kills in sp or mp isn't glitching or cheating though. Using invisible boundaries or unlimited ammo is glitching and trading wins is an example of boosting. What exactly are you considering a glitch or cheat?

In JAK II and III you can do a challenge that has you find a precursor orb. Before you find it jump in mid-air over it, and then restart the challenge, as you restart you will land on the orb and it will add to your orb total, and this can be done as many times as one likes. It makes collecting 356 or whatever it is much faster thus saving time and frustration. I don't consider this bad at all. Also in Star Wars, Sith Master difficulty is nearly impossible, so the developers gave codes that made you unlock the hardest difficulty instantly, and also you get get all powers. They also did not have this method turn off the trophies so to speak. Thus they created this avenue and they still let you get trophies this way. I find all of these examples to be fair and not cheating at all.

I don't really understand the point of this thread then. While I'm ok with boosting and glitching, you're the one with the self imposed "100% legit" trophy earning requirement. Why bother making this thread if you're ok with glitching and cheats? Just do it and forget about what other people think.

Btw, Sith Master is gonna be a pain no matter what if all you're unlocking is the difficulties and force powers.

unless it is a hack then i consider it to be earned fairly

I agree, and thanks for your input.

I don't really understand the point of this thread then. While I'm ok with boosting and glitching, you're the one with the self imposed "100% legit" trophy earning requirement. Why bother making this thread if you're ok with glitching and cheats? Just do it and forget about what other people think.

Btw, Sith Master is gonna be a pain no matter what if all you're unlocking is the difficulties and force powers.

Glitches and developer created codes do not seem like cheating to me. I created this thread as I wanted to test the waters so to speak. I am proud of my "legitness" so to speak, and wanted to confirm with everyone that that would not be lost if I did in fact use glitches and codes etc. It seems that everyone says it is not bad, and thus I will probably do it. Also, I will have to see what other codes there are for Star Wars, I think there are some that refill your health.....we'll see, but it will be nice to finish up that game!

Well Dan, yes and no. While I totally agree with the cheat codes the developers INTENTIONALY put in the game, I'm not too sure about Jak II & III. I mean, is it really considered legit? I don't think taking advantage of a bug in a game gives you "bragging rights" while you can go in, kick ass, and get the trophy in an hour or two. Hard trophies are what define plat hunters, not short cuts. In my eyes, taking advantage of that glitch might as well be boosting, as you didn't really invest the time that would make it worth it.

Your poll sucks because boosting is perfectly legitimate. Therefore I have abstained from voting.

Hmmmm.....

Trophy: Get 100 kills in multiplayer.

Legitimate way: Have fun with the game and dominate until you get 100 kills.

Illegitimate way: Play with a friend and kill him rapidly while he does nothing.

Now, please tell me which one was boosting? :rolleyes:

Edited by navep9

Hmmmm.....

Illegitimate way: Play with a friend and kill him rapidly while he does nothing.

Your multiple choice question also suffers the same retardation as the options in this poll. The legitimate way is getting 100 kills without a hack.

• Like 4

Hmmmm.....

Honestly why even bother with the illegitimate way. May as well flog yourself in the face repeatedly than just kill someone over and over again because you won't have fun doing either. Games are for fun, hence the reason we call them games. If boosting doesn't detract from the fun, I say have at it.

• Like 1

Stupid poll is stupid. Why can't the answers simply be 'yes' and 'no'? In that case I would agree with one of them, now.. I don't (i'll vote for the 2nd option though).

Using ingame codes / glitches is just as 'bad' as boosting. Still, it's not cheating. So if you're planning to do that, your little 'record' will be ruined.

Edited by Mr Maarwa
  • Like 1

Its really upto you, i don't consider things that are in the game to be considered cheating. Hacking and using game saves i dont' agree with, such as a game save or jailbroken ps3s.

I'd use glitches and in game codes. If it is in the single player campaign, cause its just effecting/affecting me and my game, not really affecting anyone else. They are available to anyone to use in their games.

To be fair, nobody should be bothered how others play their games, as long as it doesn't affect you. :)

• Like 3