Jack Tretton says the Vita came too late

FlareXV

Well, it's the only kind of topic people can talk when it comes to Vita.

More Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. :awesome:

Yeah it's really sad this thing, i don't care if this time as 2 said to me it's an interview it's still the same, even i don't know Kojima could tell this won't make it different if a Casual Ytbuer tell it to make an example on how much i care who say this now...

Yeah :awesome: Seriously i don't get why PsVita get so much, hate? While the 3Ds seems a wonderful console and the fact that the 3D sucks is ignored... the only games i envy to it are Ace Attorney and Professor Layton, i won't buy it just for 3-4 games. I Gladly leave Pokèmon to who has it, i prefer so much my Digimon on vita :3

Yeah it's really sad this thing, i don't care if this time as 2 said to me it's an interview it's still the same, even i don't know Kojima could tell this won't make it different if a Casual Ytbuer tell it to make an example on how much i care who say this now...

Kojima is westaboo, he wouldn't touch Vita with a 4 meter pole xD

While the 3Ds seems a wonderful console and the fact that the 3D sucks is ignored... 

Well, best new features are those you can ignore xD

Kojima is westaboo, he wouldn't touch Vita with a 4 meter pole xD

Well, best new features are those you can ignore xD

Yeah i know it was to say a famous name in Gaming world as example xD

Oh well honestly i'm Kinda happy they ignored the Retro-Touch on Vita, wasn't so great :P

I would love to buy the vita, but the memory card prices...

heck i been really interested in the white oled screen one from jpn lately.

It seems jpn still have plenty of new vitas, even ones with special game backplated ones.

Sometimes I wonder if the Vita would of sold better had they reduced the price of the memory cards, but bumped up the cost of the system itself to compensate before it launched. I mean people like to complain about how expensive the memory cards are, but the system itself was actually very affordable. In my opinion, that kind of balances it out. I guess people don't see it that way though and only look at the negative.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3

The memory card problem turned off a lot of people. I am still an avid Vita player, but hopefully Playstation's next handheld isn't so restrictive on storage space and has better support overall. 

That's assuming Sony will ever make another handheld. I wouldn't be so confident of that. They're most likely just going to focus on consoles and VR from now on thanks to the Vita's poor sales. It's a shame, isn't it? We're all to blame for this tragedy. Well not me, but you get my point. :P

The memory card problem turned off a lot of people. I am still an avid Vita player, but hopefully Playstation's next handheld isn't so restrictive on storage space and has better support overall.

I was hoping Sony would had magically reveal the new vita/handheld rumours over last months conference. But sadly nothing. Imagine a new handheld that could play digital ps3 games...i would had hopped on that instant buy train.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

That's assuming Sony will ever make another handheld. I wouldn't be so confident of that. They're most likely just going to focus on consoles and VR from now on thanks to the Vita's poor sales. It's a shame, isn't it? We're all to blame for this tragedy. Well not me, but you get my point. :P

Yep the Far we Go the worst it get, nope? :P

Anyway Don't get "I won't buy Vita for the Memory card" okay they are expansive but i live enough With my 8 GB memory, i have 4-5 Games on It, how many games should i play at the same time? And the otehrs are saved on PC, that cost 30 € even 25 somewhere so not much and that's it, if you add the console nowadays you spend like 200 Not few moneys but even not a lot for something to use wherever you want or are!

But then there are people that have no problem get a 1000 €/$ Iphone, ok.... (this thining of mine is in general not to people here i want to say this!)

Edited by Puriddu9427

I was hoping Sony would had magically reveal the new vita/handheld rumours over last months conference. But sadly nothing. Imagine a new handheld that could play digital ps3 games...i would had hopped on that instant buy train.

There were leaks actually... 

But since they did not reveal it on TGS, it's not going to be anywhere.

Especially since the next event is PS4K Experience. 

Sometimes I wonder if the Vita would of sold better had they reduced the price of the memory cards, but bumped up the cost of the system itself to compensate before it launched. I mean people like to complain about how expensive the memory cards are, but the system itself was actually very affordable. In my opinion, that kind of balances it out. I guess people don't see it that way though and only look at the negative.

Of course it would. =D

Remember, if you offered people 30 bucks game with 10 bucks shipping they would say screw it.

If you, however, offered 40 bucks same game with free shipping, they would jump on it :awesome:

Yep the Far we Go the worst it get, nope? :P

Anyway Don't get "I won't buy Vita for the Memory card" okay they are expansive but i live enough With my 8 GB memory, i have 4-5 Games on It, how many games should i play at the same time? And the otehrs are saved on PC, that cost 30 € even 25 somewhere so not much and that's it, if you add the console nowadays you spend like 200 Not few moneys but even not a lot for something to use wherever you want or are!

But then there are people that have no problem get a 1000 €/$ Iphone, ok.... (this thining of mine is in general not to people here i want to say this!)

Exactly, it's a one time purchase.

Especially if you buy 32GB one.

• Like 1

Exactly, it's a one time purchase.

Especially if you buy 32GB one.

Yeah seriously you buy it Once and that's it you use that not that you need 3-4 to play....

Well 32 it's still over 100 maybe? Or that's 64, but still even just with a 16 GB you can have like 10 titles i think it's enough to play if somebody wants variation, i'm already happy with 5-6!

Yeah seriously you buy it Once and that's it you use that not that you need 3-4 to play....

Well 32 it's still over 100 maybe? Or that's 64, but still even just with a 16 GB you can have like 10 titles i think it's enough to play if somebody wants variation, i'm already happy with 5-6!

I think it's 64GB one that is 100€.

I bought 32GB for 40€ iirc.

I think it's 64GB one that is 100€.

I bought 32GB for 40€ iirc.

Really? Wow you were so lucky then i got Mine (8GB) for 30 € Togheter with the Code for Motorstorm RC (That unfortunately i bought a week before -_-) :P

You got it so Big because you want to keep the games where Hanakana is in? :awesome:

As I see this "problem" is a unwillingness of any company nowadays to risk... And by 'to risk' I mean to risk at all. That's why we don't have new brand cool unique and not standart games nowadays from top companies... EVERYTHING is a sequel or mix.

Same in movie industry and music.

PS VITA was launched to bring new quality of mobile gaming close to home consoles. But after good amount of starting games in 2012 (NFS MW, RAYMAN DILOGY, SFxTekken, MK9, INJUSTICE with exclusives) they jecaust decided to stop making new games cause as they realised amount of money they should spend not brings as much profit as they wanted. So now we have PS VITA as additional device for PS NOW, REMOTE PLAY, CROSS-BUY VERSIONS ETC.

Actually I don't see how they should make a successor cause now VITA doesn't need more hardware cause most functions used to bring streaming picture via internet. And indie games works normally. Of course they could improve hardware to make these games works without lags but remember that even famous games ports works badly because different companies works on ports. ON PSP independent companies made new games in famous universies (GOW DILOGY, NFS, CODED ARMS, MGS PEACE WALKER, SOUL CALIBUR, MK)

OFC SONY can bring new revision with better hardware (like nintendo new 3ds) but I think they will anger their customers even more because of wishing to sell almost dead product again.

So... what we have?

1. NO UNIQUE GAMES after 2012-2013 bunch of titles. Only Uncharted was a game in famous universe from home consoles... 

2. PORTS of FAMOUS GAMES WORKS BAD (RATCHET & CLANK TRILOGY, GOW DILOGY, JAK & DAXTER TRILOGY, RESOGUN) with bad graphics (it could be better I believe) and low unstable FPS.

3. Cross-buy indies often available on mobile smartphones and it's better to play it there. For example I compared TWD 1-2 and The Wolf Among Us and it works much better on my smartphone. Same goes for Angry Birds Star Wars

Also you can't download games from friends acc and discounts are rare than for ps4.

So it's a problem for mobile handheld gaming. If they not make new brand games than they will lose to smartphones.

3DS have their games and also it's JAPANESE favourite handheld. Look on PSV in JAPAN still plenty of new niche games coming out. Japanese gamers are crazy :D

So I also want to see some news about Vita successor but I doubt they do that...

And even if they do I doubt I would buy it.

• Like 1

Really? Wow you were so lucky then i got Mine (8GB) for 30 € Togheter with the Code for Motorstorm RC (That unfortunately i bought a week before -_-) :P

Yup, my country has pretty nice prices compared to rest of EU sometimes =D

Another thing was that I got it 3 years ago when the were available in stock so their price wasn't artificially raised due to limited amount =D

You got it so Big because you want to keep the games where Hanakana is in? :awesome:

Of course :awesome: But... there's a problem, HanaKana game == physical version :awesome:

Nah, because the only digital games I buy for Vita are 3GBs and over and I want to have all of them prepared in order to avoid unnecessary long downloads =D

1. NO UNIQUE GAMES after 2012-2013 bunch of titles. Only Uncharted was a game in famous universe from home consoles...

You should specify you mean western :P

We all know there are MORE than unique Japanese games :D

Look on PSV in JAPAN still plenty of new niche games coming out. Japanese gamers are crazy :D

And that's why we love it :P

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Yup, my country has pretty nice prices compared to rest of EU sometimes =D

Another thing was that I got it 3 years ago when the were available in stock so their price wasn't artificially raised due to limited amount =D

Of course :awesome: But... there's a problem, HanaKana game == physical version :awesome:

Yeah i see Wow, here all PsVita Products are pretty expensive unfortunately... (The Reason why i only have 3 games Retail after 4 years of Vita) :(

Ah is that so there? Here probably it cost less now than before to say xD Well Lucky Man you are Satoshi :P

Ah You have to Feel the game itself where she is in it, i see xD:awesome:

Imported the 64g from eBay for around €85

I'm so happy with all that space xD

Same here.. managed to import 64gb from Japan for £54 on Amazon last year... though now I am back to having to delete and manage space again  xD

In terms of the discussion.... one thing I remember that Jack Tretton said back when he worked for Sony was that the attach rate was really high for the Vita... something like 10:1 in NA [excluding PS+ games]. Probably higher than PSP [since a lot of sales were after the console had been hacked]. This is where Sony makes the most money so I would not put it past them to release another if it made financial sense. 

I only bought a Vita in 2014 so have had no shortage of games to catch-up on as well as new releases. It is my platform of choice for all the indie cross play stuff as it seems to work better for me on the smaller screen vs large TV. I can image if I bought at launch there may have been more barren patches.

One thing I would say is that a motivating factor for me buying the Vita was remote play on PS4 since I travel a lot and hoped to remote back to home. They were leaning heavily into this but the reality for me never really stacked up in most cases as firstly the Vita's wifi is poor and struggles to hold the required 5mb up/down even in a hotel room where I have 50d/20u on my iphone + the rear touch is a terrible substitute for L2/R2 and most developers never bothered to create Vita specific control schemes for remote play. The exception was Fallout 4 which had a dedicated scheme that worked really well. 

That said this weakness encouraged me to buy/play more Vita games... so maybe it was a Sony tactic all along  :D

As I see this "problem" is a unwillingness of any company nowadays to risk... And by 'to risk' I mean to risk at all. That's why we don't have new brand cool unique and not standart games nowadays from top companies... EVERYTHING is a sequel or mix.

Same in movie industry and music.

I partly agree with the risk factor.  It's all about the bottom line so play it safe.  But I think the real reason for lack of new ideas has to do with creativity.  I taught in North Korea and China, and their education systems essentially treat students like computers and program them (China is improving in this area).  Originality/creativity are sacrificed/murdered for conformity and unity.  Students giving answers that aren't straight out of a book is almost a miracle.  Standardized testing and centralization is the trend in the west (especially America) and it is killing independent thought, creativity and most importantly critical thinking.  Nowadays it's all about programing kids to pass tests.  Talk to any college prof, they'll tell you that they have to dumb down their classes and if they want students to write research papers, they have to teach them how, because they didn't learn in high school.

On the topic, I think the price was the initial problem for the Vita, and the lack of support was the sustaining issue.  Ill agree with Just_ here and say that Sony was unwilling to take chances and throw money at the vita which ended up choking it out.

They definitely should not have a Vita 2, it will just be an abortion like the first and all the other PS hobbies that they abandon.

2. PORTS of FAMOUS GAMES WORKS BAD (RATCHET & CLANK TRILOGY, GOW DILOGY, JAK & DAXTER TRILOGY, RESOGUN) with bad graphics (it could be better I believe) and low unstable FPS.

3. Cross-buy indies often available on mobile smartphones and it's better to play it there. For example I compared TWD 1-2 and The Wolf Among Us and it works much better on my smartphone. Same goes for Angry Birds Star Wars

Also you can't download games from friends acc and discounts are rare than for ps4.

R&C ports are fine. GoW, other than the halved framerate is fine. Jak's issues with framerate are overblown, the real problems are controls for Jak 2 & 3, and a glitch with grabbing moving ledges in J&D. I swear half the people that talk ish on those games never played them, if they did they'd know there are bigger issues, the framerate isn't perfect but they are not the problem people act like they are. You want a game with real framerate problems, play The Amazing Spider-Man on Vita.

discounts on what? Games or the system? Games go on sale all the time.

Telltale games perform poorly on most things, not just Vita. And comparing on what? What smartphone do you have,because mobile games do not perform the same on every single smartphone because they're all different. Even iOS it's not just teh same one device, since some games still work on older hardware they probably shouldn't.

So why did the PSP sell 82 million units while the Vita has sold 13 million (not responsible for the accuracy of said figures)?  It seems to be pretty simple IMO - the PSP appealed to a larger demographic with huge exclusives (at release) in core franchises - God of War, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet & Clank and Burnout. The Vita has a good Uncharted and a terrible Call of Duty.  What would have happened if Sony had gone all in to support the Vita with another Uncharted, a God of War, and an inFamous?  What if they "convinced" 2K to release that rumored Bioshock game and Rockstar to create San Andreas Stories or something similar?  I don't think the Vita was too late, I think that Sony gave up on supporting it shortly after release.  I love the Vita for what it is and have enjoyed playing lots of games on it, but it is easier to point the finger at mobile games than point the thumb.

So why did the PSP sell 82 million units while the Vita has sold 13 million (not responsible for the accuracy of said figures)?  It seems to be pretty simple IMO - the PSP appealed to a larger demographic with huge exclusives (at release) in core franchises - God of War, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet & Clank and Burnout. The Vita has a good Uncharted and a terrible Call of Duty.  What would have happened if Sony had gone all in to support the Vita with another Uncharted, a God of War, and an inFamous?  What if they "convinced" 2K to release that rumored Bioshock game and Rockstar to create San Andreas Stories or something similar?  I don't think the Vita was too late, I think that Sony gave up on supporting it shortly after release.  I love the Vita for what it is and have enjoyed playing lots of games on it, but it is easier to point the finger at mobile games than point the thumb.

I think the rampant piracy and emulators very early on in the PSPs life contributed greatly to it's early sales. Those sales numbers convinced bigger publishers to push larger titles to the device. So if Sony had been a bit more lax on the security of the Vita, let the piracy crowd get in and build some buzz, garner some hardware sales then release the lock down hardware, they could have convinced the publishers that the number of units out there were worth developing for. However, I'm sure many of those developers for the PSP saw their PSP titles sales numbers and decided from those whether or not it was worth developing on Vita.

It's hard to summarize everything and point to *one* factor as *the* only factor that mattered. There were a plethora of factors that all combined to get where we are.