AJ_Radio's Disappointing Backlog and Wishlist

AJ_Radio

I really enjoyed reading your last three reviews AJ - great stuff! Particularly the Detroit one.

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

We already hit that point where video games are movies, because the AAA gaming industry has the technology for it.

Oooooohhhh - I really hope not. Both Hollywood cinema and AAA gaming (if you want to call it that),  unfortunately at times creep into the artistically barren territory... Yeah, they might be flashy and pretty (sometimes they are neither, yet still they get all the ticket sales ?)  but sometimes they just don't have that much to say, or really do anything other than be something we've seen before so many times in a slightly different skin. That might sound unusually jaded for me, but I'm so passionate about film, that the thought of it being like top notch industry standard video games makes me a little sad. I'm not saying they need to do those things either, it'd just be nice if they tried to innovate a bit more - instead of leaving that task up to both Indie Filmmakers and Developers. I'm fairly sure that's not what you were implying anyway, I just found it a bit of a scary thought is all.

That was a very interesting review of Detroit though - I have very mixed feelings on Detriot.. I like it sure, quite a lot actually. Yet I just can't ignore how unoriginal it is... I don't hate David Cage at all, but I don't think he deserves any points for originality in this game.  It's practically beat for beat the plot of the TV show Humans, which is itself an adaptation of a Swedish show, made long before Detroit was released. Self aware androids? Check. A robot revolution/uprising? Check. A house maid robot befriending a girl? Check. A jaded police officer, paired off with a synth partner? Check. An android sex worker escaping from where they work? Check.  I'm really fond of that show, yes it gets a bit silly sometimes, but to see David Cage essentially cannibalise it and be lauded as a creative mastermind (by some at least) makes me a little sad.

I did very much enjoy your take on Detroit though, it's interesting to read a perspective on the game of someone who is more of a gameplay focused individual -  I'm hoping I'm not being too presumptuous by assuming that either. Detroit is so impressive graphically, like you I'm on the vanilla PS4 - and even played through that, it looks so damn impressive in places. I agree with a lot of your takes on the protagonists too - apart from Markus, he's a bit of a fanny, I couldn't help but think North probably would have served as a better protagonist for that specific part of the story, but that's just me I think. I think she's ever so slightly more compelling as a character.

Well done on the more streamlined reviews thing too! It's something I just don't think I can manage - I end up getting far too invested in what I'm discussing and then realise I've probably written far too much. Silly me.

Edited by rjkclarke

10 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Oooooohhhh - I really hope not. Both Hollywood cinema and AAA gaming (if you want to call it that),  unfortunately at times creep into the artistically barren territory... Yeah, they might be flashy and pretty (sometimes they are neither, yet still they get all the ticket sales 1f914.png)  but sometimes they just don't have that much to say, or really do anything other than be something we've seen before so many times in a slightly different skin. That might sound unusually jaded for me, but I'm so passionate about film, that the thought of it being like top notch industry standard video games makes me a little sad. I'm not saying they need to do those things either, it'd just be nice if they tried to innovate a bit more - instead of leaving that task up to both Indie Filmmakers and Developers. I'm fairly sure that's not what you were implying anyway, I just found it a bit of a scary thought is all.

That was a very interesting review of Detroit though - I have very mixed feelings on Detriot.. I like it sure, quite a lot actually. Yet I just can't ignore how unoriginal it is... I don't hate David Cage at all, but I don't think he deserves any points for originality in this game.  It's practically beat for beat the plot of the TV show Humans, which is itself an adaptation of a Swedish show, made long before Detroit was released. Self aware androids? Check. A robot revolution/uprising? Check. A house maid robot befriending a girl? Check. A jaded police officer, paired off with a synth partner? Check. An android sex worker escaping from where they work? Check.  I'm really fond of that show, yes it gets a bit silly sometimes, but to see David Cage essentially cannibalise it and be lauded as a creative mastermind (by some at least) makes me a little sad.

I did very much enjoy your take on Detroit though, it's interesting to read a perspective on the game of someone who is more of a gameplay focused individual -  I'm hoping I'm not being too presumptuous by assuming that either. Detroit is so impressive graphically, like you I'm on the vanilla PS4 - and even played through that, it looks so damn impressive in places. I agree with a lot of your takes on the protagonists too - apart from Markus, he's a bit of a fanny, I couldn't help but think North probably would have served as a better protagonist for that specific part of the story, but that's just me I think. I think she's ever so slightly more compelling as a character.

Well done on the more streamlined reviews thing too! It's something I just don't think I can manage - I end up getting far too invested in what I'm discussing and then realise I've probably written far too much. Silly me.

That's what I thought of Uncharted 4. It was trying to be like Hollywood cinema. Not original at all. It borrowed heavily from old and classic 90s action movies. Instead of being more gameplay focused, it was trying to be more story focused. Made sense, because the same guys made The Last of Us. It just didn't work as well for Uncharted 4.

I don't like or hate David Cage, but he is not my favorite guy. Not by a longshot.

I tried to be fair, because otherwise people are going to bash me for not buying Life is Strange 2 and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I never said they are bad games, they just don't appeal to me. You take one glance at my profile and you will see I'm a pretty gameplay focused individual. Max Payne 3 has a story and all, but it still delivers on the gameplay, which is why I'm playing that right now. Games that toss out the gameplay aspect to replace it with purely story is a big turn off for me. It may be great for someone else on this website, but it's not my cup of tea.

Agreed on Detroit. The visuals are really impressive. North was opting for a violent approach, I generally like to pick a more pacifist approach since that is more in line with my nature. Markus wasn't my favorite character, Connor was, with Kara being second place.

Thanks for the comment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

That's what I thought of Uncharted 4. It was trying to be like Hollywood cinema. Not original at all. It borrowed heavily from old and classic 90s action movies. Instead of being more gameplay focused, it was trying to be more story focused. Made sense, because the same guys made The Last of Us. It just didn't work as well for Uncharted 4.

Interesting you mention Uncharted 4 specifically - I think you and I share a probably very unpopular opinion there. The thing is, if I saw a film that was like Uncharted 4, I definitely wouldn't like it. It's one of the entries in that series I think I actually like the least. Sam Drakes wrinkled ball bag forehead and constant perplexed Humanzee appearance, and just all round being a pretty unlikeable character put me off a bit. I think that's precisely why I never finished The Last of Us... This was 100% a me problem I'll add, I just got turned off by everyone saying how cinematic it was, and when I finally got to playing it, I thought, "If this was a film, I'd definitely not be singing its praises". But I haven't finished it, so I guess I'm not exactly qualified to judge The Last of Us.  Neither of those are bad games, I just didn't enjoy them to the wild degree most people seem to.

12 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

tried to be fair, because otherwise people are going to bash me for not buying Life is Strange 2 and Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I never said they are bad games, they just don't appeal to me. You take one glance at my profile and you will see I'm a pretty gameplay focused individual. Max Payne 3 has a story and all, but it still delivers on the gameplay, which is why I'm playing that right now. Games that toss out the gameplay aspect to replace it with purely story is a big turn off for me. It may be great for someone else on this website, but it's not my cup of tea.

Why would people bash you for not buying Life is Strange 2 or Hellblade? Has that happened before? That's quite bizarre. I would have thought that its up to the individual what he or she wants to play and leave it at that.. Nothing wrong with being a more gameplay oriented individual. I like to try and balance those two things when I can. Dip my toes in with a bit of both. I do love it when a game can appeal to me on a purely mechanical level though - I think it's an age thing. I don't think you and I are too dissimilar in age, judging by some of the references I've seen you make in other peoples threads. I'm 30, and started playing video games on a Commodore 16, that ran games off of cassettes. Before getting a SNES a bit later. So - you, I and many others probably all over this forum will have had similar backgrounds where we grew up playing games that primarily didn't have much of a story. So as annoyingly on the fence as that sounds, I do like to do a bit of gameplay heavy and story heavy things where I can. Which I think my trophy list reflects to a degree. If purely story driven things aren't your cup of tea, that's fine, nobody should attack you for it.

20 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Agreed on Detroit. The visuals are really impressive. North was opting for a violent approach, I generally like to pick a more pacifist approach since that is more in line with my nature. Markus wasn't my favorite character, Connor was, with Kara being second place.

I'm far more inclined towards pacifism too, believe me. I just thought the idea of North having her predisposed tendency towards violence being changed organically by events happening around her; acts of compassion, humility, gratitude, that kind of thing would have probably been a slightly more compelling story than what we got with Markus. Growing to accept that humans aren't always the horrific monsters that she's been led to believe (although let's be real, quite often we are). Or similarly if you as a player wanted to take North  down the more violent path, then they could have found ways and means to do that. It's all what ifs of course, but I just never got as invested in Markus as I wanted to be. Connor was my favourite character too, well I mean of the playable ones - Hank was actually my favourite character, in fact he's my favourite character in any David Cage game, really interesting character I thought.

2 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Interesting you mention Uncharted 4 specifically - I think you and I share a probably very unpopular opinion there. The thing is, if I saw a film that was like Uncharted 4, I definitely wouldn't like it. It's one of the entries in that series I think I actually like the least. Sam Drakes wrinkled ball bag forehead and constant perplexed Humanzee appearance, and just all round being a pretty unlikeable character put me off a bit. I think that's precisely why I never finished The Last of Us... This was 100% a me problem I'll add, I just got turned off by everyone saying how cinematic it was, and when I finally got to playing it, I thought, "If this was a film, I'd definitely not be singing its praises". But I haven't finished it, so I guess I'm not exactly qualified to judge The Last of Us.  Neither of those are bad games, I just didn't enjoy them to the wild degree most people seem to.

I didn't like Sam in Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I may be revealing a spoiler for people who haven't played it yet, but he was completely shoehorned in. Still a good game, just didn't like how Naughty Dog handled him.

I always felt The Last of Us was overrated. This caters more towards the people who binge watch Netflix and HBO. I'm not a big movie guy, neither am I big on dramatic spectacles like Game of Thrones. Although I will say The Sopranos is still perhaps my favorite show of all time, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

The Last of Us does everything well, but none of it is original. It's not the game that bothers me, it's the braindead fanbase who keep harping it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. The more vocal minority spoke out against The Last of Us Part II when that leaked footage came out, resulting in a complete shitstorm on social media, with Neil Druckmann getting involved. I don't like Neil, based on the attitude I've seen from him he comes off as an arrogant bastard. The crunch culture at Naughty Dog is another issue, but I don't want to drag this on more than I need to.

The sequel didn't deserve all those awards last year and it certainly didn't deserve the GOTY of 2020. The awards are just a joke at this point, and it isn't limited to video games it's across all mediums of entertainment.

In short, all good games, just not the masterpieces people claim them to be.

Why would people bash you for not buying Life is Strange 2 or Hellblade? Has that happened before? That's quite bizarre. I would have thought that its up to the individual what he or she wants to play and leave it at that.. Nothing wrong with being a more gameplay oriented individual. I like to try and balance those two things when I can. Dip my toes in with a bit of both. I do love it when a game can appeal to me on a purely mechanical level though - I think it's an age thing. I don't think you and I are too dissimilar in age, judging by some of the references I've seen you make in other peoples threads. I'm 30, and started playing video games on a Commodore 16, that ran games off of cassettes. Before getting a SNES a bit later. So - you, I and many others probably all over this forum will have had similar backgrounds where we grew up playing games that primarily didn't have much of a story. So as annoyingly on the fence as that sounds, I do like to do a bit of gameplay heavy and story heavy things where I can. Which I think my trophy list reflects to a degree. If purely story driven things aren't your cup of tea, that's fine, nobody should attack you for it.

I don't think it's anything to do with age. Cassylvania is older than me and has completely different tastes in contrast to mine. She prefers good story driven games and indie RPGs, for me I'm not a big fan of either. The latter is more of me just not willing to spend a lot of time on them. I follow her thread occasionally, and it's interesting to hear Cassylvania speak her mind from a different angle.

My childhood was centered around Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog. Those two mascots were what got my start in gaming. Super Mario Bros 3 was the first video game I ever played, so you can easily guess where my love for platformers came from.

Regarding Life is Strange 2, I was bashed a little for it because I just cast it off as being a story featuring a bunch of prepubescent teens who haven't reached adulthood yet. I had a hard time getting thru Life is Strange with Chloe and Max. Chloe being the overly sensitive senior at high school who still looks like she's 13 - 14, and Max being the rebellious tomboy with a troubled past. A lot of people loved it, but once I got to the scene where that girl committed suicide from depression, that was a big turn off.

I remember the cassettes and VHS tapes and all that old stuff. We were the last kids to really use that stuff. Interesting to think we witnessed the transition from the analog age of times past to the digital age we live in today.

I'm far more inclined towards pacifism too, believe me. I just thought the idea of North having her predisposed tendency towards violence being changed organically by events happening around her; acts of compassion, humility, gratitude, that kind of thing would have probably been a slightly more compelling story than what we got with Markus. Growing to accept that humans aren't always the horrific monsters that she's been led to believe (although let's be real, quite often we are). Or similarly if you as a player wanted to take North  down the more violent path, then they could have found ways and means to do that. It's all what ifs of course, but I just never got as invested in Markus as I wanted to be. Connor was my favourite character too, well I mean of the playable ones - Hank was actually my favourite character, in fact he's my favourite character in any David Cage game, really interesting character I thought.

North was too pushy, as a lot of young women are in their 20s. Markus was the leader of the deviants and Jericho, as the player you could decide if you wanted to make Josh happy or North happy. Josh was the guy pushing for the pacifist approach, North was the girl pushing for the violent approach. In the violent playthrough, I had Markus killed off to save time, with North becoming the leader of the deviants. North and Josh don't like each other because they have different values, so when you play as Markus, you have to make that choice. You can't please both North and Josh in the same playthrough.

Even when you infiltrated the Stratford Tower, North was the one wanting to kill the humans standing in the way, whereas Josh was opting to find a more covert approach.

Hank was the tired 'Baby Boomer' has been cop. Basically a stereotype of the typical has been American throwing his life away at the bar drinking himself to death. Connor and Hank develop an unconventional relationship, which I thought was handled very well in the game.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Fixed a few typos

22 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

The Last of Us does everything well, but none of it is original. It's not the game that bothers me, it's the braindead fanbase who keep harping it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. The more vocal minority spoke out against The Last of Us Part II when that leaked footage came out, resulting in a complete shitstorm on social media, with Neil Druckmann getting involved. I don't like Neil, based on the attitude I've seen from him he comes off as an arrogant bastard. The crunch culture at Naughty Dog is another issue, but I don't want to drag this on more than I need to.

They aren't all brain-dead, to be fair - some of the most intelligent people I know really enjoy The Last of Us. ironically, when you alluded to Last of Us being aimed at people who watch a lot of Netflix TV shows and film, I tend to find the opposite. I'm generalising amongst some of my friends a little here, but the majority of them that aren't particularly interested in film or have just a passing interest tend to be the ones that get the most out of that game. I often wonder, if that's because something like The Last of Us is what they think a cinematic experience should be.

From what I've seen of how Neil Druckman conducts himself, I can't exactly say I'm his biggest fan either - like many people in a similar position to his. It's his way or the highway by the looks of it. I've heard Joss Whedon can be a little like that with some of his cast members on occasion.

32 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I don't think it's anything to do with age. Cassylvania is older than me and has completely different tastes in contrast to mine. She prefers good story driven games and indie RPGs, for me I'm not a big fan of either. The latter is more of me just not willing to spend a lot of time on them. I follow her thread occasionally, and it's interesting to hear Cassylvania speak her mind from a different angle.

There I go making silly assumptions again - ultimately, yes I suppose it does all just boil down to that persons specific tastes. Some of the fighting games yourself and Copanele play, I'd probably never attempt, but I really enjoy reading about your respective experiences with them, plenty of other examples like that. I just don't think I have the dexterity for games like those at the moment,  I'm pretty much always running on below the amount of sleep I should be, so I tend to swerve a lot of things that mean my brain needs to work lightning fast these days.

40 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

My childhood was centered around Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog. Those two mascots were what got my start in gaming. Super Mario Bros 3 was the first video game I ever played, so you can easily guess where my love for platformers came from.

So was mine to be honest, less Sonic though and more just Mario. I kind of drifted away from platformers as I got older. It's not as if I stopped liking them, there just got to a point where I dabbled with them less and less. There's definitely some I'd like to pick up and playthrough at some point, because it's still a genre I'm fond of. It's good to see you are still getting plenty of enjoyment out of it though.

44 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Regarding Life is Strange 2, I was bashed a little for it because I just cast it off as being a story featuring a bunch of prepubescent teens who haven't reached adulthood yet. I had a hard time getting thru Life is Strange with Chloe and Max. Chloe being the overly sensitive senior at high school who still looks like she's 13 - 14, and Max being the rebellious tomboy with a troubled past. A lot of people loved it, but once I got to the scene where that girl committed suicide from depression, that was a big turn off.

I don't have any opinion on Life is Strange 2 - I've not actually played it yet. I did enjoy the other two games for what they were. That girl didn't die in my game. I do know the bit you mean though. I'd much rather play those two than one of the TellTale games though (their version of Monkey Island is the exception). I always find they stray a little too close to just being misery porn, especially Game of Thrones. Both Life is Strange games do at least contain a fair bit of humour peppered in amongst the melodrama.  Although, admittedly I haven't ever played Walking Dead which everyone seems to praise the highest. So I'm in no way an expert on the TellTale games.

54 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

North was too pushy, as a lot of young women are in their 20s. Markus was the leader of the deviants and Jericho, as the player you could decide if you wanted to make Josh happy or North happy. Josh was the guy pushing for the pacifist approach, North was the girl pushing for the violent approach. In the violent playthrough, I had Markus killed off to save time, with North becoming the leader of the deviants. North and Josh don't like each other because they have different values, so when you play as Markus, you have to make that choice. You can't please both North and Josh in the same playthrough.

Even when you infiltrated the Stratford Tower, North was the one wanting to kill the humans standing in the way, whereas Josh was opting to find a more covert approach.

My punctuation in that sentence about North in my last reply is appalling. Someone please staple a dictionary to my head!!

I was more just throwing around ideas about how they could have improved the story a bit by replacing Markus with North, then tweaking her character a bit. I just made a terrible job of making that clear I think. I guess that happens when it's 2AM.. I would have just gone back to the drawing board with Norths character and made her less two dimensional... And thrown Marcus out completely -  but then you don't get the stuff with Carl, which I thought was quite good. I mean hypothetically of course, that's just if I'd personally  been writing the story. I think she has all the components to be the more interesting part of that whole Android rights scenario - but ultimately in the actual game she isn't. You got Markus killed, whilst I was always accidentally getting Kara killed - honestly that happened to me far too often, those guys just could not seem to catch a break!

24 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

They aren't all brain-dead, to be fair - some of the most intelligent people I know really enjoy The Last of Us. ironically, when you alluded to Last of Us being aimed at people who watch a lot of Netflix TV shows and film, I tend to find the opposite. I'm generalising amongst some of my friends a little here, but the majority of them that aren't particularly interested in film or have just a passing interest tend to be the ones that get the most out of that game. I often wonder, if that's because something like The Last of Us is what they think a cinematic experience should be.

I think there is a parallel between people who watch the dramatic modern shows on Netflix and the people who love The Last of Us. It also shows we grew up. The video game industry is the most profitable entertainment medium, by far.

I enjoy some cinematics here and there, but they aren't why I play video games. For many people today, they want the cinematics and atmosphere.

From what I've seen of how Neil Druckman conducts himself, I can't exactly say I'm his biggest fan either - like many people in a similar position to his. It's his way or the highway by the looks of it. I've heard Joss Whedon can be a little like that with some of his cast members on occasion.

I respect the old guys. I don't respect Neil, he's a part of the newer generation of business heads and gaming people. He's a lot older than me, in his early 40s, but he's still quite young compared to a lot of gaming developers.

Joss Whedon I don't like either. Though I don't know nearly as much about him.

There I go making silly assumptions again - ultimately, yes I suppose it does all just boil down to that persons specific tastes. Some of the fighting games yourself and Copanele play, I'd probably never attempt, but I really enjoy reading about your respective experiences with them, plenty of other examples like that. I just don't think I have the dexterity for games like those at the moment,  I'm pretty much always running on below the amount of sleep I should be, so I tend to swerve a lot of things that mean my brain needs to work lightning fast these days.

I ain't the fighting dude. Copanele is the guy you want to talk to concerning hard fighting games like Super Street Fighter IV and Battle Fantasia. I saw that and went "Nope, I ain't doing that crap". Kudos to him, he's a fucking beast.

So was mine to be honest, less Sonic though and more just Mario. I kind of drifted away from platformers as I got older. It's not as if I stopped liking them, there just got to a point where I dabbled with them less and less. There's definitely some I'd like to pick up and playthrough at some point, because it's still a genre I'm fond of. It's good to see you are still getting plenty of enjoyment out of it though.

Platformers haven't changed in the last 10 years. It's an old genre, so I can understand why most people went away from it. They go back to the old days of gaming. The feeling I got playing Super Mario World from all those years ago is unparalleled. Then again, I was a little kid that didn't know anything, so you think everything was better.

I don't have any opinion on Life is Strange 2 - I've not actually played it yet. I did enjoy the other two games for what they were. That girl didn't die in my game. I do know the bit you mean though. I'd much rather play those two than one of the TellTale games though (their version of Monkey Island is the exception). I always find they stray a little too close to just being misery porn, especially Game of Thrones. Both Life is Strange games do at least contain a fair bit of humour peppered in amongst the melodrama.  Although, admittedly I haven't ever played Walking Dead which everyone seems to praise the highest. So I'm in no way an expert on the TellTale games.

I wasn't going to repeat that section just to see that young girl live. At least Life is Strange had branching paths. TellTale Games always gave you the same conclusions regardless of your choices, which aggravated me.

There are some TellTale Games I like though. Tales of Monkey Island is one. I enjoyed Back to the Future, lighthearted humor with likable characters. I prefer that stuff over the more grim, sadistic environment of the Walking Dead. Strong Bad wasn't terrible either.

Sam and Max is the last TellTale Games set I haven't played yet. Looking forward to it, even if the games run like shit at times.

I was more just throwing around ideas about how they could have improved the story a bit by replacing Markus with North, then tweaking her character a bit. I just made a terrible job of making that clear I think. I guess that happens when it's 2AM.. I would have just gone back to the drawing board with Norths character and made her less two dimensional... And thrown Marcus out completely -  but then you don't get the stuff with Carl, which I thought was quite good. I mean hypothetically of course, that's just if I'd personally  been writing the story. I think she has all the components to be the more interesting part of that whole Android rights scenario - but ultimately in the actual game she isn't. You got Markus killed, whilst I was always accidentally getting Kara killed - honestly that happened to me far too often, those guys just could not seem to catch a break!

I didn't like North. Once you had Markus killed and she became the leader of the deviants she basically became more self centered. Markus was made to be the stronger leader, who can help settle disputes and tensions between the other androids. North held the attitude of the all or nothing approach, when you got into that big fight at the end, she just had her fellow androids killed off until she finally admitted to defeat.

Wasn't a big fan of the violent playthrough. You basically have to piss off Hank as much as possible, to the point where he quits the police force and commits suicide with his own gun at his home. Hank was my favorite side character, you saw a heart in him when Connor leaves the Tracis alive, and sparing the Chloe that Kamski orders you to kill. When you killed them, Hank just turned more aggressive and uncooperative, revealing that Connor was a machine tasked to do his duty.

I despised Amanda. Would of satisfied me to see her shot and killed.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Fixed typo

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I ain't the fighting dude. Copanele is the guy you want to talk to concerning hard fighting games like Super Street Fighter IV and Battle Fantasia. I saw that and went "Nope, I ain't doing that crap". Kudos to him, he's a fucking beast.

I know he's more the fighting dude - but you played the Art of Fighting games fairly recently - or at least you reviewed them fairly recently. I was more alluding to those specifically. They sounded quite a challenge, well of patience at the very least. Copanele is a beast, That's for sure. Must have been born with +1 in his dexterity stat haha. 

There are some TellTale Games I like though. Tales of Monkey Island is one. I enjoyed Back to the Future, lighthearted humor with likable characters. I prefer that stuff over the more grim, sadistic environment of the Walking Dead. Strong Bad wasn't terrible either.

Sam and Max is the last TellTale Games set I haven't played yet. Looking forward to it, even if the games run like shit at times.

I never played TellTale's Back to the Future - perhaps I ought to give that one a go at some point. I don't particularly dislike Telltale or anything - I'm really fond of Tales from the Borderlands, that game really nailed the kind of humour you'd come to expect from that series. I thought it felt like an authentic, but very different entry into the series. So they did a great job with that one.

Strong Bad and Sam and Max are two that I very nearly rushed out and bought when the PS3 store closure was announced. Despite the fact I stupidly never purchased them when I'd consistently seen them on sale for years, despite knowing I'd almost certainly like them. I think they are on PSNow though. If I had a better internet connection, playing that way would probably be the better option. 

Wasn't a big fan of the violent playthrough. You basically have to piss off Hank as much as possible, to the point where he quits the police force and commits suicide with his own gun at his home. Hank was my favorite side character, you saw a heart in him when Connor leaves the Tracis alive, and sparing the Chloe that Kamski orders you to kill. When you killed them, Hank just turned more aggressive and uncooperative, revealing that Connor was a machine tasked to do his duty.

Something tells me you didn't like North haha. That's fine though, I don't particularly like her either. Not as she's presented in the game. She's more likeable if you kind of explore the pacifist route, and end up finding out why she does feel the way she does. I just thought her character had lots of potential that wasn't really capitalised on properly. They could have done things differently with her. Could say the same about Markus to be fair.

I wasn't the biggest lover of the violent playthrough myself  - some of it just made me feel really grimy. You're right, Hank certainly does go down a dark path in that playthrough. Hanks an absolute testament to Clancy Browns ability as an actor, he brings so much to that character, that I think in another actors hands might be a little less effective.

Platinum :platinum: #277: Angry Video Game Nerd I & II Deluxe (May 18th, 2021)

1La79727.png

Difficulty: 3/10

Excitement Rating: 7/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 6 - 7 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 19S5cf2db.png Totally Perfect Nerd Achieve a perfect on all stages in all games )

gTY0QvO.jpg

I'm not going to dive into how much I dislike the Angry Video Game Nerd now, his divided fanbase, his character getting progressively worse, or the modern episodes featuring a bunch of dickhead characters. It's a "Shitload of fuck" as the Nerd himself would say.

Mike Matei has done a lot to sour my feelings for him and James Rolfe. For a guy in his 40s, I guess there are people out there who never truly grew up. James & Mike made history on the internet, with a likeable nerd character playing old NES games that made a lot of Gen X dudes put a smile on their faces. The character itself attracted a lot of young people including myself.

This was the first video I watched from the nerd:

The series has changed so much. Both the nerd character and James himself. Its disheartening to see him as he is now, but like everything, nothing good lasts forever.

I love the old episodes of AVGN. They bring back a lot of warm memories.

Many old fans are aware of the movie James Rolfe made, but perhaps not everybody is familiar with the video games based off of his character. Angry Video Game Nerd 1 & 2 Deluxe is basically two games in one. They are old school platformers to a T.

I regard these games as slightly above average, not great, but not mediocre either. They are entirely linear, and are a throwback to the platformers of old. References are abundant, not just from old Nintendo games but also from old episodes. Of course, there is the nerd, but there is Guitar Guy, Mike Matei, and Bullsh*t Man, all playable characters as long as you unlock them. Unfortunately they're only in the first nerd game.

I really enjoyed all the references in these games. The Power Glove was a NES accessory that was notably bad, so bad that the nerd made an ordeal out of it in one of his early episodes. In the second nerd game it serves as an upgrade, so I thought that nice of them to put it in.

The games do nothing we haven't already seen before. But they just go to show the popularity of the nerd character. I still go back and watch those old episodes because they left an impression on me when I was younger. James Rolfe definitely made his mark in internet entertainment history, and defined a generation who still loves and plays video games.

AVGN as he is today? Can't blame anybody for not liking him. His younger self, many reasons to love him.

===========

On 8/19/2021 at 7:18 AM, rjkclarke said:

I wasn't the biggest lover of the violent playthrough myself  - some of it just made me feel really grimy. You're right, Hank certainly does go down a dark path in that playthrough. Hanks an absolute testament to Clancy Browns ability as an actor, he brings so much to that character, that I think in another actors hands might be a little less effective.

You need natural talent and range to be a good actor. Clancy Brown has been in the business for a very long time, so he has honed his craft. Other actors who may not have the experience and longevity may not be as effective, so I agree with your comment.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Hardest Trophy: 19S5cf2db.png Totally Perfect Nerd Achieve a perfect on all stages in all games )

I'm not going to dive into how much I dislike the Angry Video Game Nerd now, his divided fanbase, his character getting progressively worse, or the modern episodes featuring a bunch of dickhead characters. It's a "Shitload of fuck" as the Nerd himself would say.

AVGN as he is today? Can't blame anybody for not liking him. His younger self, many reasons to love him.

You need natural talent and range to be a good actor. Clancy Brown has been in the business for a very long time, so he has honed his craft. Other actors who may not have the experience and longevity may not be as effective, so I agree with your comment.

Classic AVGN had some funny episodes through the mid 2010's, I still love his reactions to Crazy Bus' bizarre "music". Like all things, peoples opinions on matters shift over time, and regardless of how people may feel about current AVGN, the beauty of the internet is that we can still watch back on those old memories.

Clancy Brown is definitely a fantastic actor in many different mediums; physical acting, motion capture, and voice acting. I still find it so cool how he played Captain Byron Hadley in the Shawshank Redemption, one of my favourite films out there. It's great that his presence in the world of acting also reached Detroit. Hank just wouldn't be the same without Clancy filling the role.

I see you're also working on Max Payne 3 in the meanwhile, good luck. The online shutting down for that game is similar to me finally getting the rest of the Sonic games done amidst the PS3 store shutdown. It seems that online shenanigans are a good motivator! ?
You've made good progress with a current 55 of 68 trophies, nice work so far.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Classic AVGN had some funny episodes through the mid 2010's, I still love his reactions to Crazy Bus' bizarre "music". Like all things, peoples opinions on matters shift over time, and regardless of how people may feel about current AVGN, the beauty of the internet is that we can still watch back on those old memories.

Well he is like The Simpsons. Some people like the modern episodes like people like the modern AVGN episodes on YouTube. But they have lost a lot of their fanbase. You can't continue to cater to your old fans, you have to attract new fans as time moves on. But The Simpsons is losing more fans they're gaining them. Nobody cares about the show anymore, at least not the general public. It's over 30 years old, and it is completely burnt out. I can't blame the writers on the show struggling to come up with new ideas.

James Rolfe still pulls in a fair amount of views for his content. The fanbase has also changed a lot over the years. I met a lot of great guys out there who were massive fans of AVGN, who feel the same way I do in that the character just doesn't appeal to them anymore. So we move on to another guy, to another television series on Netflix. That's the beauty of the internet.

45 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Clancy Brown is definitely a fantastic actor in many different mediums; physical acting, motion capture, and voice acting. I still find it so cool how he played Captain Byron Hadley in the Shawshank Redemption, one of my favourite films out there. It's great that his presence in the world of acting also reached Detroit. Hank just wouldn't be the same without Clancy filling the role.

I remember that movie, but I wasn't old enough to understand it until much later. Still one of the highest rating films on IMDB, I guess I will have to rewatch it to note Clancy Brown.

• Like 1

On 19.8.2021 at 5:24 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Platformers haven't changed in the last 10 years. It's an old genre, so I can understand why most people went away from it. They go back to the old days of gaming. The feeling I got playing Super Mario World from all those years ago is unparalleled. Then again, I was a little kid that didn't know anything, so you think everything was better.

To which type of platformers are you referring here specifically? Well, actually, it doesn't matter, I don't agree either way ? Many subgenres of the pure platforming games are actually experiencing an extreme boom, with games being constantly released, many of which bring new and unique things to the table. 

You gotta play more platformers my man! I'm surprised to see you make such a statement! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

To which type of platformers are you referring here specifically? Well, actually, it doesn't matter, I don't agree either way 1f605.png Many subgenres of the pure platforming games are actually experiencing an extreme boom, with games being constantly released, many of which bring new and unique things to the table. 

You gotta play more platformers my man! I'm surprised to see you make such a statement! 

Not going to entirely disagree, but....... meh. I'm not even going to try to make a counterstatement.

Speaking of which, we have to try out Super Meat Boy Forever. And don't worry, I will be playing Nex Machina soon.

11 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Not going to entirely disagree, but....... meh. I'm not even going to try to make a counterstatement.

Not interested in a discussion about one of the genres you always claim to be one you are most adept at? Well then.

Speaking of which, we have to try out Super Meat Boy Forever.

I already own the game. It's one of the games I'm considering for my plat #100 coming up. Not that I care about milestones, but maybe this one deserves a bit more thought put into it.

And don't worry, I will be playing Nex Machina soon.

Well, you have already played it ? just not on your main.

8 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I was told Matterfall wasn't nearly as good. From the little I played of Nex Machina, it's already more difficult than Resogun.

Matterfall is not as good as Nex, but it's still a game worth playing. From the limited experience I have with Housemarque (3 games), their titles are just worth trying out. 

Waiting for Returnal to go on sale and get to it! It just looks like so much fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Not interested in a discussion about one of the genres you always claim to be one you are most adept at? Well then.

The problem is my backlog. I have stuff like Spelunky, which is a RNG platformer that I bought dating back to 2016 - 2017 that I still haven’t played. Shovel Knight isn’t finished either. Still need to go back and play the DLC. 

I already own the game. It's one of the games I'm considering for my plat #100 coming up. Not that I care about milestones, but maybe this one deserves a bit more thought put into it.

Let me know what you think.

Matterfall is not as good as Nex, but it's still a game worth playing. From the limited experience I have with Housemarque (3 games), their titles are just worth trying out. 

Play Resogun. You won’t regret it.

On 8/23/2021 at 0:12 AM, AJ_Radio said:

The problem is my backlog. I have stuff like Spelunky, which is a RNG platformer that I bought dating back to 2016 - 2017 that I still haven’t played. Shovel Knight isn’t finished either. Still need to go back and play the DLC. 

Yeah I know that your backlog is pretty large ? You have a couple of very good games lined up, too! If I were in your shoes I just wouldn't play stuff like Blazing Agent or whatever the hell that SBCG4AP series was and instead try to get straight to the good games! 

On 8/23/2021 at 0:12 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Play Resogun. You won’t regret it.

For sure. I have it in my wishlist ever since we talked about it when you completed it. Hasen't gone on sale since though ? I will grab it as soon as it is cheaper! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Yeah I know that your backlog is pretty large 1f605.png You have a couple of very good games lined up, too! If I were in your shoes I just wouldn't play stuff like Blazing Agent or whatever the hell that SBCG4AP series was and instead try to get straight to the good games!

I thought SBCG4AP was pretty good for an old TellTale game. There are far, far worse point and clicks/interactive dramas, etc. Strong Bad reminds me a lot of the old Adult Swim block on Cartoon Network. Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Robot Chicken, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, the Venture Bros. We had some good shit back then.

Blasting Agent was a bad game, definitely. Poor quality, low production values.

20 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

For sure. I have it in my wishlist ever since we talked about it when you completed it. Hasen't gone on sale since though 1f610.png I will grab it as soon as it is cheaper! 

My hands are tied playing Max Payne 3 now. Depending on how many times I have to do NYMHC it may take a lot longer.

My tip of advice on Resogun. Just boost the Rank 50 trophy. No seriously, just boost that with an online partner. Unless you want to play on Hero difficulty saving all Humans and without losing a life with countless numbers of revenge bullets.

Everything else is doable solo, including Commando. I'll see if I can edit that video I saved on my console and upload it to YouTube.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Platinum :platinum: #278: Need for Speed Rivals (May 31st, 2021)

1L7897e6.png

Difficulty: 4/10

Excitement Rating: 4/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 20+ Hours

Hardest Trophy:17Se7da12.png Racer Rank 60 ( Reach Racer Rank 60 )

WoCC03E.jpg

Picked up this game back in late March at a bargain bin price at Amazon. Was one of the PS4 launch games and this marked the first game Ghost Games stepped in for the Need for Speed franchise.

I'm not particularly a big racing car guy. Hell, I never bothered much with any car magazine, let alone subscribed to one. I do enjoy playing a racing game every once in a blue moon. For the Need for Speed series, I wanted to pick something that wasn't too old, but also wasn't going to be bogged down with annoying online trophy requirements. Thus, Need for Speed Rivals was my pick.

Online trophies were easy, a big thanks to @MidnightDragon for helping me with the online back in April. I made that epic rant back when I made my status update on this because I was so frustrated with it. A few details as to why.

In past and present Need for Speed games, there is generally live action scenes. Rivals in contrast, has a rather barebones story. A group of racers wish to cause havoc and chaos to prove they are sending a message, while the cops wish to put an end to their destruction. You play as both factions, and both are equally as lackluster.

To have an easier time on myself, I played the Cops faction first. The squad cars have a good arsenal of weapons, such as EMP and Shockwaves that temporarily disable certain abilities on a car. Need for Speed Rivals is played on an open world, but if you want to play by yourself you have to manually change the settings as the game will automatically try to put you in an online session with other players. The only time you need to play online is to get the easy online trophies, one for beating an online player in an race, the other for busting an online player as a cop. Nothing bad at all.

In order to get better and faster cars for both factions (Racer and Cop) you have to complete a series of events, something this game calls speedlists. You access the Career Overview page, and you pick from three choices that each offer a different set of events. Some events require you to beat races, others require you to bust enemy racers, a few just require you to use police tech a certain amount of times. So on and so forth. You will not be able to go back and pick a majority of events until you beat the story, which as I said, is lackluster. If you are struggling to complete a series of events you can pick a different choice, but once you satisfy the requirements for the events and rank up you cannot go back and pick the other two choices until you finish the story line. Once you reach Rank 20 you should of beaten the story, and you can go back and play the other two choices you didn't pick the first time around. You need to play all the speedlists to get to Rank 60, as both the Racer and Cop faction. This in turn makes the game very tedious.

Maybe I just wasn't used to Need for Speed, but the gameplay mechanics were my biggest frustration with Rivals. When I tried completing certain events there was always obstacles in my way. There are pedestrian cars scattered throughout the open world, they do absolutely nothing beneficial. The events you play in the open world range from Easy to Hard difficulty. Beating events on Hard difficulty requires your car to be tuned up a bit. Races for the most part was the AI rubberbanding, a game mechanic that unfortunately plagues a lot of racing games. I found the Racer faction a slog to get through not just because of the events, but because of the Cops always on your tail. For the most part you are basically on your own as the Racer faction, as AI racers are just as much of an enemy to you as the Cops are. That is why I feel the Cop faction is far better to start off as. Also, as the Racer, you have to bank points, which are your reward for doing certain moves (driving on the wrong side of the road while avoiding pedestrian cars) and completing events. If you completely crash as a Racer, you lose all the points you accumulated and are forced to start over. Cops, in contrast, don't have to worry about this problem.

I found a lot of races and hot pursuits to be frustrating, as I had to try a number of them over and over until I finally succeeded. The Cops in this game are brutal, which made getting to Racer Rank 60 a royal pain in the ass. So many times I crashed and had to start over. I understand Need for Speed is more of an arcade racer and not a driving simulator like Gran Turismo, but I found Rivals in a lot of aspects, not that good of a game.

Graphics were sufficient. A couple of the music tracks were good, but the soundtrack for Need for Speed Rivals was a bunch of techno and some boring music that I quickly forgot after I stopped playing the game. The open world was alright, but a big gripe I had was the inability to completely pause the game. Even playing completely offline, this game still didn't allow me to fully pause it, which led me to think that Electronic Arts was trying to make this a fully online integrated game.

Wasn't a big fan of Rivals. There was very little story, some of the game mechanics were aggravating, and getting thru all those speedlists was a chore. Maybe if I played this back in 2013 my opinion would of been better, but I don't know if I will be playing another Need for Speed game anytime soon. I'm definitely avoiding Need for Speed 2015. One day I might try out Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered, but playing thru Rivals left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not a hard platinum, but a bit of a slog to play.

Edited by AJ_Radio
added some commentary
  • Like 3

On 21/08/2021 at 5:44 PM, AJ_Radio said:

1La79727.png

Difficulty: 3/10

Excitement Rating: 7/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 6 - 7 Hours

gTY0QvO.jpg

Mike Matei has done a lot to sour my feelings for him and James Rolfe. For a guy in his 40s, I guess there are people out there who never truly grew up. James & Mike made history on the internet, with a likeable nerd character playing old NES games that made a lot of Gen X dudes put a smile on their faces. The character itself attracted a lot of young people including myself.

This was the first video I watched from the nerd:

The series has changed so much. Both the nerd character and James himself. Its disheartening to see him as he is now, but like everything, nothing good lasts forever.

I love the old episodes of AVGN. They bring back a lot of warm memories.

Many old fans are aware of the movie James Rolfe made, but perhaps not everybody is familiar with the video games based off of his character. Angry Video Game Nerd 1 & 2 Deluxe is basically two games in one. They are old school platformers to a T.

I used to watch Angry Joe, but sadly same thing happened to him. HIs old Angry Reviews are fantastic, but now his new ones just mostly involve 95% footage of him and his mates playing the game, which looks like clips from twitch.

Most of his channel is just pre-recored low quality effort, trailer reactions, reviewing action figures, movies etc. Which anybody can do.

AVGN also does movies and other content.

I guess you have to blame youtube for that, as if it's all about ad revenue, daily new content, you have to make fodder stuff to keep your channel going.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, enaysoft said:

I used to watch Angry Joe, but sadly same thing happened to him. HIs old Angry Reviews are fantastic, but now his new ones just mostly involve 95% footage of him and his mates playing the game, which looks like clips from twitch.

Most of his channel is just pre-recored low quality effort, trailer reactions, reviewing action figures, movies etc. Which anybody can do.

AVGN also does movies and other content.

I guess you have to blame youtube for that, as if it's all about ad revenue, daily new content, you have to make fodder stuff to keep your channel going.

I lost respect for Angry Joe after that copyright crap that happened to him several years back. Angry Joe like the AVGN himself both came on when YouTube video game reviews were in their infancy. AVGN along with The Irate Gamer were the first two guys to really push forth video game reviewing on a digital format, therefore I consider them both pioneers.

Angry Joe reviews on his old stuff were spot on. Unfortunately, his content is no better than thousands of other YouTubers now.

I discovered a trophy hunter here who does YouTube content. Only 1000 subscribers to his name, but his video quality, camera equipment and delivery is just as good as Angry Joe, AVGN and the other guys.

YouTube used to be about "you". Today it's about Google, and getting the money flowing in so your YouTube channel doesn't fall into obscurity.

100% Game #26: Resogun

Lc7a599.png

Difficulty: 8/10

Excitement Rating: 9/10

It took quite some time, but I finally obtained the 100% for the PS4 version of Resogun back in June this year.

What can I say about this great game from Housemarque that hasn't already been said? Resogun is a lot of fun, whether you're playing by yourself or you're playing with a co-op partner.

I'm not going to talk about the base game trophies as I'm going to focus purely on the DLC trophies. The majority of the DLC trophies are frankly, not that hard to get. However, to get any of the DLC packs fully complete, you have to do some rather difficult objectives.

The easiest DLC for me was Resogun Heroes, with the hardest trophy being to survive to the 5th day in Survival mode. While still not that easy, it took a lot less practice than I spent on the other DLCs.

I found the Resogun Challengers DLC to be next to impossible without a boosting partner. I reached Rank 50 with the help of a partner because points can be accumulated by playing the same mode over and over. The Construction Kit DLC was fun for its own reasons, but I struggled with a couple trophies, including NAVDML.

The hardest trophy was completing Commando Mode. Unlike the other modes, you're not controlling a ship, you're controlling a person, a commando with a weapon. The goal is to keep your house from being destroyed, and you have to survive 20 waves to beat Commando Mode, which takes roughly 20 - 23 minutes to finish. I will be uploading my successful run on YouTube pretty soon. In short, I spent around 12 hours making attempts to beat this mode, definitely would of been easier with a co-op partner.

I'm considering buying Super Stardust Ultra, but I don't own a PS VR so the 100% is unobtainable for me. I'm working on Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition and will tackle Nex Machina at some point. 

Resogun on the PS4, one of the harder and most prestigious 100% titles to earn.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dude I'm not sure if you talked about it elsewhere, but I saw you did the 100% for Duke Nukem Forever and I was wondering how you felt about it. I'm interested in doing it too so if you recommend it that would go some way to shaping my decision honestly. I can get a copy for $10 on eBay and the dlc is $10 so for an almost UR plat that's not bad

3 hours ago, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

Hey dude I'm not sure if you talked about it elsewhere, but I saw you did the 100% for Duke Nukem Forever and I was wondering how you felt about it. I'm interested in doing it too so if you recommend it that would go some way to shaping my decision honestly. I can get a copy for $10 on eBay and the dlc is $10 so for an almost UR plat that's not bad

I had to play it because Duke Nukem was what I grew up with, believe it or not. Unfortunately Duke Nukem Forever isn't that good of a game, went thru development hell for over a decade and the final product, disappointing. There are certainly worse games out there, but I remember being pretty disappointed when the game first came out.

I'm practically months behind on my own thread. It takes a while for me to write up stories on the games I've done and sometimes I just don't feel entirely up to it, especially when you're making textbook posts.

I'll get to it, just have to catch up with the other games I've done before.