Ps4's Profile pic/Avatars problem

Emanuele97G

Hi everyone! i have a problem with Ps4's Profile pic/Avatars.
From about 2 weeks i've noticed that my avatars looks really bad, they're in a low resolution, i can even see the pixel!!! Profile pics are free so i don't get angry for that, but i have bought a lot of PSN avatars and this problem is unacceptable!!

Can someone help me?

Here's 2 screenshot of how my Profile Pic/avatar looks (screenshot are from my Ps4, i used my smartphone for a zoom)

DYAUbtp.jpg

ZCanbKr.jpg

This is the real Pic i used for Profiles Pic

aJlC1xr.jpg

Edited by Emanuele97G

..i personally don't see anything wrong. Sure the picture of the drawing might look bad because you're uploading it. But like I said.. I don't see anything wrong with the PSN avatar. You're still able to tell that that's that. My Chiaki Nanami avatar looks fine on PSN, maybe you're thrown off by the style of the avatar. And my real name request picture is a picture of myself &my boyfriend. The quality is a bit meh, but nothing to freak out over.

..i personally don't see anything wrong. Sure the picture of the drawing might look bad because you're uploading it. But like I said.. I don't see anything wrong with the PSN avatar. You're still able to tell that that's that. My Chiaki Nanami avatar looks fine on PSN, maybe you're thrown off by the style of the avatar. And my real name request picture is a picture of myself &my boyfriend. The quality is a bit meh, but nothing to freak out over.

I've changed profile pic 5-6 times but all pic i choose looks really bad! if you look with more attention at the avatar (the one with the black twin pigtail girl) you can see it looks really bad too!! I've tried to change avatar too but all looks bad.. i'm angry because i've bought a lot of avatars

Profile pic might just be blurry because bad cropping. Mess around with the picture size on your PC and you should be fine.

The avatar though, it's sprite art... I think it supposed to have some edges on it. Also it's a really small picture with a lot of detail so that might lower the quality.

EDIT: I have that picture that I have on my forum profile on my PS4 Profile bpic with 40KB file size and dimensions of 640x640. Looks fine to me on my PS4.

Edited by totallycrushed

(gonna go off topic here for a bit)

I never actually cared about my avatar as I used this spyro one since the day I first open a PSN account six or seven years ago.

as for a profile picture I usually used the ones I capture with the share button from the games I played, all of them looks sharp and high res'd, but I hate the fact that you can't use a photo you have stored on a USB sticks or something, for an example I have thousands of pictures include the drawings I did and post on my DA page all stored on an external hard drive, I tried to use one of them as my profile pic then I got shocked that unlike the ps3 where you can save any pic on a USB stick into the ps3's HDD, the ps4 don't even allow you to copy them and store them into it's HDD.

whether there something I didn't learn yet about on the ps4 or Sony did this so no one will use an inappropriate content and use them as a profile pic.

My guess is to save on resources, the PS4 downscales the avatar and profile pic to some preset size, a not-very-big size. TV pixels are much bigger than monitor and phone pixels, so when you look at the full image on your phone or computer, then the downscaled image on your TV, it's noticeable. The super-thin pen strokes in your profile picture, especially, are getting lost in the downscale. Try using a high-contrast image without a lot of thin strokes and see if you like the results better.

Here, I went ahead and cropped that to 450x450 that should be usable. 

As for the avatar, other than the solutions listed earlier I don't think there's much you can do. The fact that it's detailed sprite art that has been sized down to the normal avatar size and slightly upscaled when looking on PS4 profile. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, it's just an avatar.

post-150763-0-53873900-1477492271_thumb.jpg

Here, I went ahead and cropped that to 450x450 that should be usable.

As for the avatar, other than the solutions listed earlier I don't think there's much you can do. The fact that it's detailed sprite art that has been sized down to the normal avatar size and slightly upscaled when looking on PS4 profile. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, it's just an avatar.

That pic too look bad... i don't understand what appening in my Ps4... i like personalize my profile so i hate this problem!! and I paid for a lot of avatar and is unacceptable that they looks so so bad!!!

Omg this Japanese mania is infecting my Italian fellows as well :'( where is this world going ..

Anyway I had the same problem with the profile background pic. I had to find a version of that photo with different dimensions. Good luck!

Luckily in the right way because i don't want a world with CoD or Skyrim Again ;)

There are plenty of 14 years old for That games :awesome:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! i have a problem with Ps4's Profile pic/Avatars.

From about 2 weeks i've noticed that my avatars looks really bad, they're in a low resolution, i can even see the pixel!!! Profile pics are free so i don't get angry for that, but i have bought a lot of PSN avatars and this problem is unacceptable!!

Same thing is happening to me. Every single photo i upload appears to be in low resolution. Do you know now how to fix it?

I have the same problem with avatar quality. Everything was alright, but now every avatar (premium or standard one) is absolutely pixelated. It only shows when you go to profile section (the one with cover photo). It's not a problem with my console as you can tell more people are having the same problem. I've checked it on my friend's PS4 and the problem occurs there as well. Sony needs to fix this, it's unacceptable. 

I'm having the exact same problem!

Profile pics and Avatars used look crisp and clear a month ago but now it's all blurry and low res for some odd reason

I've been looking everywhere for a solution to fix this problem cause it's starting to bother me but found nothing

No matter what size the profile pic is or how sharp it looks, the problem still occurs

I really wish Sony fix this problem since I'm not the only one experiencing this!

God Bless!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There's no fix at the moment, it's on Sony side. There's a way to see your avatar perfectly but it's only when changing background color.
Go to your profile, [...]  -> [Change Cover image] -> [Change Background Color] -> Now you can see your profile picture to its best but it's useless you're the only one to see it.

At least you know it's not because of  your profile picture resolution. And for everyone, the minimum resolution for a clear image is 440x440. ;)