This console generation is somewhat disappointing

Gommes_

I mostly agree with you but at the same time, I think the newer systems haven't had enough time to "cook" per se. 

I agree with this. We haven't truly pushed the boundaries for this generations consoles quite yet. I think it's too early right now to make a justifiable conclusion on how this console generation compares with the previous generation. 

I liked the games from last generation that you've called failures (RE6 and the FFXIII trilogy) but I've disliked a lot of the games you've called big succesors (including GTA 4&5, Minecraft, and Gears of War.)

Well this is great and I know some people who can't stand GTA 5 either.

The difference is that the general perception was outstanding for GTA and for Resident Evil 6 it was not. There are just some titles

where the majority of people has the same feeling about when it comes to good and bad games. The only thing that unites players in

this generation though, seems to be their hate for certain games and not their love. There will always be people who dislike blockbusters

but will like the "outsiders".

RDR for instance is seen as masterpiece, as much as Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7 and so on...

But games for the ps4?

Well this is great and I know some people who can't stand GTA 5 either.

The difference is that the general perception was outstanding for GTA and for Resident Evil 6 it was not. There are just some titles

where the majority of people has the same feeling about when it comes to good and bad games. The only thing that unites players in

this generation though, seems to be their hate for certain games and not their love. There will always be people who dislike blockbusters

but will like the "outsiders".

RDR for instance is seen as masterpiece, as much as Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy 7 and so on...

But games for the ps4?

That's the thing though. It's all subjective. A masterpiece to one could be a trainwreck to another. No one should consider a game a bad game simply because other people consider it bad. If I enjoy a game then it's a good game to me. If I dislike a game then it's a bad game to me. When you start labeling games as good or bad simply because that's what everyone else thinks it leads to disappointments in games and in generations.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 1

You can't compare a 'finished' generation like PS3/X360 with a still growing generation that is PS4/XB1 imo.

I know and I stated that in my post. Nevertheless, many of the listed games came out in the first 3 years.

So exactly the time that has passed now for the ps4

Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Gta 4, Dragon Age, Gears of War, Infamous, Bayonetta, Modern Warfare, Dead Space, Borderlands, Mirrors Edge, Skate and Uncharted came

all out within the first 3 years

I think it's too early to tell. Just look at the video game releases of the PS3 up until Dragon Age Origins (which would be around the 3 years old period) and I think we're doing perfectly as expected, I think we're doing better on average than the last generation was at this point overall. The consensus will improve as the generation progresses.

• Like 1

No one should consider a game a bad game simply because other people consider it bad. If I enjoy a game then it's a good game to me. If I dislike a game then it's a bad game to me. When you start labeling games as good or bad simply because that's what everyone else thinks it leads to disappointments in games and in generations.

Absolutely but isn't it weird that the overall perception of this generation is so negative? As stated before I wasn't pointing out my personal preferences,

rather than the opinions of critics and players. I am not here to tell anyone what to like and what not. I am just observing how the market is

evolving and reacting to the latest games

Absolutely but isn't it weird that the overall perception of this generation is so negative? As stated before I wasn't pointing out my personal preferences,

rather than the opinions of critics and players. I am not here to tell anyone what to like and what not. I am just observing how the market is

evolving and reacting to the latest games

Is that the overall perception of this generation though? That's a serious question. I don't look at many reviews or critic's opinions so I don't know. I'm personally content with this generation. It's on par for what it was 3 years into last generation for me personally. If anything, the handheld (vita specifically) is far superior in terms of games that I like to last gen's handheld (Nintendo DS.)

Edited by kuuhaku

Is that the overall perception of this generation though? That's a serious question. I don't look at many reviews or critic's opinions so I don't know. I'm personally content with this generation. It's on par for what it was 3 years into last generation for me personally. If anything, the handheld (vita specifically) is far superior in terms of games that I like to last gen's handheld (Nintendo DS.)

Unfortunately it is. Just as an example: http://www.gamecrate.com/opinion-why-current-console-generation-disappointment/13792

If you interested in it google it, there are tons of videos and articles. Go to metacritic, read steam and amazon reviews and you'll be amazed ;)

Btw I forgot The Division in my hyped up trash list :)

I agree with this. We haven't truly pushed the boundaries for this generations consoles quite yet. I think it's too early right now to make a justifiable conclusion on how this console generation compares with the previous generation. 

This is not really true. This gen of consoles don't have some super secret button hidden somewhere that'll suddenly open the flood gates of technological advancement and innovation; they're shitty PCs. What you see is what you get; there is a reason we're getting mid gen upgrades because the XBone and PS4 released criminally underpowered. 

But to address the OP this gen seems fine so far. Comparing it to a finished, extraordinarily long generation at this point just isn't very fair. It's got its fair share of good, great and amazing games. Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Shadow of Mordor, Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid V all come to mind with more to come.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it is. Just as an example: http://www.gamecrate.com/opinion-why-current-console-generation-disappointment/13792

If you interested in it google it, there are tons of videos and articles. Go to metacritic, read steam and amazon reviews and you'll be amazed ;)

Btw I forgot The Division in my hyped up trash list :)

I googled it and found this http://kotaku.com/5369850/where-are-all-the-next-gen-games

It's about the last generation and was written about the same amount of time into the 7th gen that we're into the 8th gen. It makes claims that the current gen (7th gen) games just aren't at the scale of the last generation of gaming (6th gen.) It seems like critics like their member berries and will eventually think of this generation with the same fondness as the last once we're in in the next generation.

If you're disappointed then don't play the games. Stick with what you know you like.

How am I supposed to know what I will like? And I don't just want to play the 20th part of one franchise. Gaming for me is about getting to know many different genres and titles.

The same for movies. One can like Mission Impossible, Paper Man and everything inbetween. But to figure that out you have to watch all kinds of movies or to stay on topic

play all kinds of games.

• Like 1

This is not really true. This gen of consoles don't have some super secret button hidden somewhere that'll suddenly open the flood gates of technological advancement and innovation; they're shitty PCs. What you see is what you get; there is a reason we're getting mid gen upgrades because the XBone and PS4 released criminally underpowered. 

Then explain to me why there is such a big difference between Uncharted 1 & The Last of Us. Developers get more skilled at optimizing their games for that platform the more they use it, it's also part of the reason why some developers choose to outsource their ports.

You're partly right though. I suppose the PS4 & X1 upgrades are more necessary to follow with the recent trends 4k, HDR & VR rather than having better graphics at 1080p.

• Like 1

Then explain to me why there is such a big difference between Uncharted 1 & The Last of Us. Developers get more skilled at optimizing their games for that platform the more they use it, it's also part of the reason why some developers choose to outsource their ports.

You're partly right though. I suppose the PS4 & X1 upgrades are more necessary to follow with the recent trends 4k, HDR & VR rather than having better graphics at 1080p.

This gen of consoles

This gen

THIS gen. Did not mention last gen.

i agree that creativity seems to be lacking a bit as companies can often just take templates from last gen knowing they will sell just based on previous successes and by overhyping their release...i think the novelty will eventually wear off and perhaps a new generation of games will come, perhaps not...supply and demand is kind of how it works i think...i found movies and music to be the same for the longest time...we'll have to be patient and see what's up for the future as every generation has eventually given birth to what i would deem as classics...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1