Status comment character limit

Dreggit

There seems to be a character/line limit for status update comments. On more than one occasion I've gone past this limit without knowing and lost what I was saying, which is frustrating because there is no warning from what I can see that you've gone over a limit and everything is going to get cutoff. This likely ranks near-bottom of the list on things to do, but I feel that there needs to be a way to show visably what that limit is or to force a limitation of input lines/characters so that at the very least you can't type past the limit.

This thread sprouted up more because I'm irritated as I was making a reply to a comment on my status update that got cut off. As polished as this site is, I'm surprised that there is nothing to limit input already. I, admit I do not know the limitations of the sites code or build but I feel that something could be done.

• Like 3

There seems to be a character/line limit for status update comments. On more than one occasion I've gone past this limit without knowing and lost what I was saying, which is frustrating because there is no warning from what I can see that you've gone over a limit and everything is going to get cutoff. This likely ranks near-bottom of the list on things to do, but I feel that there needs to be a way to show visably what that limit is or to force a limitation of input lines/characters so that at the very least you can't type past the limit.

This thread sprouted up more because I'm irritated as I was making a reply to a comment on my status update that got cut off. As polished as this site is, I'm surprised that there is nothing to limit input already. I, admit I do not know the limitations of the sites code or build but I feel that something could be done.

I made a status about this a while ago and it's the only thing in my About Me page. I believe the total character count is 500 (minus your user name). It's just a theory. I can post up to 491 characters and I have a 9 character user name. Might be coincidence and everyone might just have a 491 character limitation for statuses, but that seems like a really weird number choice.

• Like 1

This would be nice.  I find when I'm typing extra long comments to status updates that it's always best to copy what I wrote incase anything is cut off.  It was really annoying the first times it happened with me though and not being aware there was a limit.  Something like a countdown that is used for guide descriptions would be good to have.

I made a status about this a while ago and it's the only thing in my About Me page. I believe the total character count is 500 (minus your user name). It's just a theory. I can post up to 491 characters and I have a 9 character user name. Might be coincidence and everyone might just have a 491 character limitation for statuses, but that seems like a really weird number choice.

I posted 497 in this status. My name's 7 characters.

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 2

497 plus the [...], so 500 total characters. Gets cut to 497 + [...] if 501 characters or higher.

I wonder how big an answer can be.

EDIT: Answers (or replies to status updates) can be equally big, up to 500 characters, getting cut at the 497th and added [...] to it if 501 characters or more are sent.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 2

Stop typing such long things then.  Just assume it's like Twitter and go 140 characters.  Short and to the point.

That would make sense if this wasn't a forum. Some statuses have discussions in them that can be lengthy. But without some kind of visible character limit countdown or a fullstop it, as it stands in the moment, it gives the illusion that a response can be as long as needed, which is not the case here

• Like 1

Yup, this is something I've been wanting for a long time. I'm always worried that my status or comment is going to go over this limit, and so like others have mentioned, I'll always copy what I said before posting just in case it gets cut off. It would be nice if the status updates did something similar to Twitter where it shows you the exact amount of characters you have remaining.

On the topic of improving status updates, I'd also like to see an option to not receive notifications from a status you have commented in. I've seen it many times in the past where a status will totally blow up, and you'll be flooded with notifications, or you've said what you wanted to say, and the status has completely derailed since you left that comment. Now you can always delete your comment to stop getting notifications from it, but I don't really like doing that, and I think there should be a more convenient solution.

• Like 1