Randy Pitchford Teases Duke Nukem Announcement

Parker

Gearbox is planning to reveal... something Duke Nukem-related next Thursday, December 1.

The hint comes from CEO Randy Pitchford, responding to a fan's interest in a Duke Nukem-Gears of War crossover:

@DuvalMagic 

A Duke Nukem/Gears of War crossover would be pretty badass....

Was the email from the future?

@Alex_Everatt On December 1st, we are announcing something you might really enjoy :)

While it's unlikely it will be as straightforward as the tweet suggests (although, Gears of War 4 isn't exactly free of unusual cameos, considering it includes hip-hop duo Run the Jewels already), it does seem probable that the announcement will be made at The Game Awards, which take place on the same day.

It's long been suspected that Duke would be added to Gearbox's hero shooter Battleborn, which would satisfy the crossover criterion, but with Duke Nukem 3D celebrating its 20th anniversary, it wouldn't be all that surprising to learn that a new game in the series is on the way.

It's fair to say that Duke's recent history has been a little less than illustrious - something Gearbox will likely be keen to remedy with whatever they announce next.

Source: IGN

I'd love to see a new Duke Nukem game but I don't have much faith in Randy Pitchford or Gearbox anymore. I'd love for them to prove me wrong though. 

Parker

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. But even so, that's definitely not the game we deserved, we deserved a way much better game than what it was. Hopefully we'll be getting a new game. Even though I did enjoy Duke Nukem Forever, I am still a bit skeptical as to how Gearbox can handle a new game in the series. I do have some trust in them left, as to handling something that ain't their typical Borderlands games', but they definitely will have a lot to handle if they apply themselves as the team to make the next Duke Nukem title. If they do, hopefully they'll make things right this time around. I really believe they will make a new game, but as whether this upcoming announcement will be related to that, I've no idea. Would be the best time though, seeing as how Duke Nukem has celebrated its 20th Anniversary recently.

Edited by A Flopping Brawl3r

giphy.gif

I'd rather Gearbox just let this series rest in peace. It has its place in history and that's where it belongs. Sure, it would be cool to see the series come back in a way similar to how Doom or Wolfenstein did, but this is Gearbox we're talking about. I don't believe they're capable of making a game of such high quality.

Oh yeah, Battleborn is a game that exists... Sure, put Duke in as a cameo for your dead on arrival shooter, Gearbox. That will help. :P

Like the Wolfenstein reboot in 2009, Duke Nukem Forever was more enjoyable imo than people claimed, but could have- and should have- been better. Then Wolfenstein: The New Order came about and put to bed any doubts that there was more life in the old series than the revival suggested.

Hopefully it's a new game and not some cross-over. I was talking with some co-workers about Duke Nukem a while ago, and how I was hoping for a new game sometime. I'd like to see what Gearbox could do with it, rather than just finishing and releasing someone else's project.

So long as they don't make that Duke Begins thing that was floating around 10 years or so back I'm down.

I mean, I'd be down anyway, but the last thing I want is an origin story for the one guy in gaming least deserving of a story. I fucking love me some Duke, but if they try too hard with a story the whole thing could get fucked on. Sure, it *could* work, but unlikely. 

Anyway, when I read this a couple days ago I shit my pants a little bit. Here's hoping, but it seems unlikely they'll announce anything particularly great. Duke 3D PS4 came and went with no rumours or rumblings of a new game, and now, as we literally enter the last month of Duke 3D's 20th anniversary year, I'm supposed to get hyped? I mean, I am, but like, I doubt you'd wait until this far along, unless Duke 3D on PS4/Xbone sold a metric shitload and that's what's prompting this announcement, which I'd be all for anyway to be honest.

Hail to the God Damned King, Baby.