Super Golden Oldies: Dust Off Your Ancient Consoles Event 2017 Edition

They are all such great games and Link to the past is no exception. I've never finished Skyward Sword or Twighlight Princess though all 3 early s/nes games have a place in my gaming history. I remember so well to this day playing LTTP and thinking,, damn! Everything is quite logical in game play but you're given such little guidance that every accomplishment is exactly that. At the end of the day it seems like you've enjoyed playing it and that's exactly what gaming is all about

It amazes me how absorbed you can get into to SNES titles in 2017 but I think my next game will be Shin Megami tensei. I do own the cart and a Super Famicom to play it on, However I'll play the translated version on the Super Famicom with the sd2snes cart, this puts it in the softcore section but at least I get the SNES/SFC experience at a faster pace. It's probably not even legal but the sd2snes is a god send to any snes owner, even if it's just for translations.

• Like 1

On 23-1-2017 at 6:56 AM, Z1MZUM said:

They are all such great games and Link to the past is no exception. I've never finished Skyward Sword or Twighlight Princess though all 3 early s/nes games have a place in my gaming history. I remember so well to this day playing LTTP and thinking,, damn! Everything is quite logical in game play but you're given such little guidance that every accomplishment is exactly that. At the end of the day it seems like you've enjoyed playing it and that's exactly what gaming is all about

It amazes me how absorbed you can get into to SNES titles in 2017 but I think my next game will be Shin Megami tensei. I do own the cart and a Super Famicom to play it on, However I'll play the translated version on the Super Famicom with the sd2snes cart, this puts it in the softcore section but at least I get the SNES/SFC experience at a faster pace. It's probably not even legal but the sd2snes is a god send to any snes owner, even if it's just for translations.

Link To The Past and Ocarina Of Time are my absolute favourites. Ocarina Of Time was one of the first games I played on the N64, it really opened my eyes to what worlds could be created by games. I do so hope that it won't be long until it's available on the Switch...

I greatly enjoyed Link To The Past, not just because it's such a good game but also because I finally got through it after a couple of missed attempts a few years ago. It proves to me that the SNES still has some new content left for me.

And yeah I still to this day find great joy in gaming on the SNES. There are so many gems to be found on it...

Have fun with Shin Megami, I don't know that game.

Update:

I played through the rest of the Metal Slug games, don't know how much I can say here before I start repeating myself though. I think MS2 and MS3 are the best of the series.

Started on Psychonauts but that is not old enough for this event. I'll play some more SNES games soon, in preparation for the Switch.

Update:

maxresdefault.jpg

So, I decided to do a playthrough of Super Mario Bros. 2 today. Played through the whole thing, though I missed a lot since I forgot how warps worked in this game, warped myself from late in world 1 straight to world 4...

Still a fun game even though it's blatantly obvious that it was never supposed to be a Mario game.

52 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Haven't forgotten this event, but I've mainly been a combination of busy, tied up in co-op, or just not in the mood to game. Entirely my fault.  :facepalm:

Sorry for flaking this month, I should do better in the future.

I think this was one of the reasons for making it twelve games in twelve months instead of six games in three months :D

Seeing as I have already played through eight games (yay for Metal Slugs and their short length), I feel like I'm probably okay this time around :)

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think this was one of the reasons for making it twelve games in twelve months instead of six games in three months :D

Seeing as I have already played through eight games (yay for Metal Slugs and their short length), I feel like I'm probably okay this time around :)

Still, trying for at least one a month is in the first post. 12 should easily be doable, though. I'm in the mood for an RPG...

Yep, you're blazing through! Have a favorite out of the ones so far?

5 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

Still, trying for at least one a month is in the first post. 12 should easily be doable, though. I'm in the mood for an RPG...

Yep, you're blazing through! Have a favorite out of the ones so far?

I'm not going to act all tough on you now and be called out as a hypocrite later, March is so filled with new games for me... Yeah I see that I wrote at least one game a month in the OP but on second thought, do we need a rule like that? Don't we have less time for gaming in some months, for instance with large holidays, finals, deadlines?

Personally, I doubt I'll get much classic gaming done in March and my summer vacation will be iffy as well, though I will probably have some N64 games on my Switch by then (yay!) :)

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past is definitely my favourite. I keep feeling shame that it's taken me so damn long to finally completely play through the game, very glad I did so before Breath Of The Wild though. Ocarina Of Time is one of the few games (definitely one of the first) that absolutely amazed me, I knew nothing about it when I first started it (I bought my N64 used and Ocarina was one of the games I got along with it). I've enjoyed a few Zelda games since then but I never felt that same sense of wonder, though A Link To The Past comes close and I have a good feeling about Breath Of The Wild.

@Kubanga @SyIaris @Z1MZUM

How are you all doing on this event? Working hard, or hardly working?

Haven't had any non-PS4 gaming time since last week's Super Mario Bros 2 myself. I'm going to try to get rid of some more stuff on my PlayStation backlog so I don't know how active I will be this next month.

On a different topic, I decided to go ahead and create an event for Switch gamers as well...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/45332-switch-it-up-event-for-nintendo-switch-gamers/

On 31-1-2017 at 11:15 PM, cris3f said:

I would like to participate in the even with my N64, playing Super Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina, but I can't due to not meeting some of the requirements. Have fun anyway, some very good games going to be played.

Start posting more in the threads and join us at a later point :)

@BillyHorrible 

This is a great idea!! I wish I could take part, but unfortunately most of the games I want to play are rpgs, and that would eat up most of each month. 

Although I'll probably revisit Kings Quest V (such a great game. Such a hard game if you don't know what you're doing lol) at some point in the next few months sense it's not long(if you know what to do....)  and have been thinking about it a lot. 

If there was a way to change it so longer rpgs count for more months, I've been getting a big itch to play Legend of Legaia for the 30 some odd times, and this event would be a great excuse to ignore my backlog lol

6 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

@BillyHorrible 

This is a great idea!! I wish I could take part, but unfortunately most of the games I want to play are rpgs, and that would eat up most of each month. 

Although I'll probably revisit Kings Quest V (such a great game. Such a hard game if you don't know what you're doing lol) at some point in the next few months sense it's not long(if you know what to do....)  and have been thinking about it a lot. 

If there was a way to change it so longer rpgs count for more months, I've been getting a big itch to play Legend of Legaia for the 30 some odd times, and this event would be a great excuse to ignore my backlog lol

What you could always do is select a bunch of RPGs, and a couple of short games to balance it out. Games like Metal Slug, Kirby's Dream Land, Super Mario Bros. and so on take about an hour or two to get through.

In the previous event, the requirement was at least two games per month. I changed it to one game per month specifically for RPG players B)

Edited by BillyHorrible

13 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Haven't had any non-PS4 gaming time since last week's Super Mario Bros 2 myself. I'm going to try to get rid of some more stuff on my PlayStation backlog so I don't know how active I will be this next month.

On a different topic, I decided to go ahead and create an event for Switch gamers as well...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/45332-switch-it-up-event-for-nintendo-switch-gamers/

Wow I completely forgot! I've been cleaning out my backlog a lot this month so far so I haven't had much time to do this. Next on the agenda though is GTA San Andreas and I'll probably complete it this month.

16 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I started Shin Megami Tensei on the sfc and it's a pretty solid game so far, similar to the first persona game on playstation. Don't know if we want too many spoilers but this it is an old game, Lets just say that I'm currently locked up in the police station being wrongly convicted for the murder of a school girl in a park while trying to date my neighbor. It's typical smt madness only on 16bit format, absolutely brilliant. There can be so much content in these old games and the graphics have never bothered me.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't relate to the "anti-trophy" thing (in fact, for me achievement systems just tend to make games live longer, though I can also settle for in-game achievement lists) but I've been meaning to clear out some of the older stuff from my giant backlog for a while, so considering joining... a question though, is the "one game each month" a hard rule, or could I "make up" for it later by beating 2 games during the next month? Might have to wait until the start of a month to join.

Otherwise I already have an idea about what games I want to play... :3

13 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

Can't relate to the "anti-trophy" thing (in fact, for me achievement systems just tend to make games live longer, though I can also settle for in-game achievement lists) but I've been meaning to clear out some of the older stuff from my giant backlog for a while, so considering joining... a question though, is the "one game each month" a hard rule, or could I "make up" for it later by beating 2 games during the next month? Might have to wait until the start of a month to join.

Otherwise I already have an idea about what games I want to play... :3

It's not a hard rule, it's meant as "keep occasionally playing those old games throughout the year" instead of "churn out your whole list in one month". I changed the rules in the OP to reflect this.

So, bring on your list! You can enter right away or wait until the start of a month, your choice. If you start right now it's at least 11 games for you, if you wait until March it's at least 10 games.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 11:07 AM, BillyHorrible said:

I'm not going to act all tough on you now and be called out as a hypocrite later, March is so filled with new games for me... Yeah I see that I wrote at least one game a month in the OP but on second thought, do we need a rule like that? Don't we have less time for gaming in some months, for instance with large holidays, finals, deadlines?

Personally, I doubt I'll get much classic gaming done in March and my summer vacation will be iffy as well, though I will probably have some N64 games on my Switch by then (yay!) :)

The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past is definitely my favourite. I keep feeling shame that it's taken me so damn long to finally completely play through the game, very glad I did so before Breath Of The Wild though. Ocarina Of Time is one of the few games (definitely one of the first) that absolutely amazed me, I knew nothing about it when I first started it (I bought my N64 used and Ocarina was one of the games I got along with it). I've enjoyed a few Zelda games since then but I never felt that same sense of wonder, though A Link To The Past comes close and I have a good feeling about Breath Of The Wild.

March certainly looks like a good month for games. Not sure if I'll be able to join in on the Switch gaming since pre-orders sold out so quickly, but I'll be hoping whatever everyone gets on it is enjoyable.  :D

It's been sitting in my backlog since... probably 2004 or so. Awesome game, I just got stuck (tried at random for years) at ...Moldorm? and haven't gone back recently. Ocarina of Time was definitely one of the best in the series, here's hoping Breath of the Wild will be as good as it looks!

On 2/8/2017 at 1:08 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Hardly working. Definitely hardly working.  :facepalm:

Played and beat Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, which is a cute little 90s/mascot sidescrolling platformer that got lost in the shadow of games like Spyro and Crash. Would advise playing it on PSP/Vita when possible; it looks pretty bad on a larger screen. Visually, it's somewhat unique in that your environment is still 3d and will snake around you or rotate if you jump to a platform that allows you to run in another direction. Story's pretty generic save-the-princess type stuff at its base, though not bad. It's short but a little frustrating, as a fall will instantly kill you and the controls are pretty slippery.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SyIaris said:

March certainly looks like a good month for games. Not sure if I'll be able to join in on the Switch gaming since pre-orders sold out so quickly, but I'll be hoping whatever everyone gets on it is enjoyable.  :D

It's been sitting in my backlog since... probably 2004 or so. Awesome game, I just got stuck (tried at random for years) at ...Moldorm? and haven't gone back recently. Ocarina of Time was definitely one of the best in the series, here's hoping Breath of the Wild will be as good as it looks!

There are still options left to get a Switch. FYE seems to have pre-orders left and stores like Toys'R'Us don't do pre-orders it seems. Been discussing options with a few people in the main Switch thread.

Yeah I'm hoping Breath Of The Wild will be awesome. I'm very glad I finished Link To The Past, you should try again sometime. Don't know if the Zelda sale is still going on the VC but it was 30% off...

13 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Hardly working. Definitely hardly working.  :facepalm:

Played and beat Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, which is a cute little 90s/mascot sidescrolling platformer that got lost in the shadow of games like Spyro and Crash. Would advise playing it on PSP/Vita when possible; it looks pretty bad on a larger screen. Visually, it's somewhat unique in that your environment is still 3d and will snake around you or rotate if you jump to a platform that allows you to run in another direction. Story's pretty generic save-the-princess type stuff at its base, though not bad. It's short but a little frustrating, as a fall will instantly kill you and the controls are pretty slippery.

Updated the OP :)

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely hoping for a nice VC list on the switch. SNES and GBA would be especially awesome to me, though I don't have anything specific in mind. Don't need LttP on VC, though, I've got the GBA release.  :)

Not much to update on; thinking I'll probably add Day of the Tentacle to my list at some point, and I played a little Twisted Metal. Not really into it, unsurprisingly, but it certainly fits for the sake of list variety/types of games I don't usually play. Not entirely sure where the "done" checkpoint would be in what seems to just be arena matches.  :dunno:

• Like 1

On 21-2-2017 at 11:04 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Now if there's many VC games on the Switch right away, I'm probably going to be even more active for this event...

11 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Definitely hoping for a nice VC list on the switch. SNES and GBA would be especially awesome to me, though I don't have anything specific in mind. Don't need LttP on VC, though, I've got the GBA release.  :)

Yeah let's hope the VC doesn't take too long to build up on the Switch. I get that they didn't want to put too many games out there at first but I do hope that we'll get some basic stuff in the first year, like the Zeldas and Marios. It would be fun to get to play through Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2, especially since it will be a while before Super Mario Odyssey and a new Super Mario Party will be released.

Not much to update on; thinking I'll probably add Day of the Tentacle to my list at some point, and I played a little Twisted Metal. Not really into it, unsurprisingly, but it certainly fits for the sake of list variety/types of games I don't usually play. Not entirely sure where the "done" checkpoint would be in what seems to just be arena matches.  :dunno:

Changed Twisted Metal for you in the OP. Day Of The Tentacle is very cool and I'd advise you to play it.

Don't know about when Twisted Metal would be played through but is there some kind of endgame or final boss?

I don't know what my first new game for this event will be. Getting the Switch tomorrow but there's no VC games on it yet, and World Of Goo isn't old enough. So it'll all depend on when do I feel like booting up the SNES, and which game I'd like to play at that point.

Edited by BillyHorrible

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Twisted Metal is done. Turns out you get a "congratulations!" screen and bizarre ending once you clear the levels.

Reminds me of a more violent version of Mario Kart 64's battle stages, though most of the levels are much bigger. The contrast is a negative one - in fairness, it could be because I wasn't sitting with a group of friends all trying to beat each other in this one.

So, combat racer/arena game with a selection of gun(/flamethrower/rocket/etc)-equipped cars varying from a monster truck to an ice cream machine to a motorcycle with others in between. It's pretty short, but it struck me as dull and repetitive. It's you versus increasing numbers of other vehicles, limited lives, and you need to be the last one standing.

Can't complain since I got it free from a Playstation Home promotion, but it's really not one I'd be interested in playing again. Seems like it's fairly niche, but I could see it being fun to goof around in with someone or with cheats on.

Toss up whether I'll go for a PS4 re-release (Day of the Tentacle is still tempting...) or stop being lazy and set up the Wii for the next game.  :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SyIaris said:

Well, Twisted Metal is done. Turns out you get a "congratulations!" screen and bizarre ending once you clear the levels.

Reminds me of a more violent version of Mario Kart 64's battle stages, though most of the levels are much bigger. The contrast is a negative one - in fairness, it could be because I wasn't sitting with a group of friends all trying to beat each other in this one.

So, combat racer/arena game with a selection of gun(/flamethrower/rocket/etc)-equipped cars varying from a monster truck to an ice cream machine to a motorcycle with others in between. It's pretty short, but it struck me as dull and repetitive. It's you versus increasing numbers of other vehicles, limited lives, and you need to be the last one standing.

Can't complain since I got it free from a Playstation Home promotion, but it's really not one I'd be interested in playing again. Seems like it's fairly niche, but I could see it being fun to goof around in with someone or with cheats on.

Toss up whether I'll go for a PS4 re-release (Day of the Tentacle is still tempting...) or stop being lazy and set up the Wii for the next game.  :P

Congrats! And yeah, games like that are probably most enjoyed with three others. Super excited for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, already have four controllers...

Wii setup can be done at any time, The Day Of The Tentacle demands your attention! Did you ever play it? It's my favourite point and click adventure of all time, possibly tied with Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. I'm actually thinking about making my next game Full Throttle, which releases about three weeks from now. There's a pre-order sale (20% off, €12 instead of €15) and there's the PSN thing where if you buy €50 worth of stuff in March then you get €10 back in April. Already bought three games in the last sale (Hue, TYPE:RIDER and INSIDE) for a total of €17, adding Full Throttle and I only have to find €21 worth of content to get €10 back. If I just had realised this before, I would have just bought Firewatch and The Witness in the last sale...

It's been kind of quiet for me this month as I had the new Switch with Zelda and several other games, as well as the KYC3 event, a bunch of PS4 games I bought on a sale and played one after another, and to top it all off I've decided to finish my Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag multiplayer grind so I would have all multiplayer in the series done and I could start on getting a platinum in all of them.

That's all going to change now, though. I just bought two games that count for this event and I've pre-ordered another one.

Pre-ordered: Full Throttle Remastered.

Told you I'd play this one right at the start, it was in my OP from the beginning... Well it's going to be released mid-April and I'll play it right away. Never played Full Throttle before though I played and loved Day Of The Tentacle, Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis and Sam & Max Hit The Road, while I played and enjoyed the Monkey Island and Grim Fandango remasters.

Bought: ICO & Shadow Of The Colossus.

Two games I've never played. I didn't have a PS2 myself, I never saw something about ICO but Colossus has been on my radar since it was released, and when I got the PS3 my backlog had quickly become so big that I decided not to buy them every time they went on sale, though it was always a hard decision. Well, my backlog is smaller now and they're on sale together for €6 so bring it!