Playstation Experience 2016 - Many localizations announced

Satoshi Ookami

Hey! You of all people should know the backlog won't permit making a brash move like that. :P It's a slow beast you slowly get through only to add more and more onto it until it crushes your very soul. xD

Good to know it's not related. I figured that was the case, but I wasn't sure. Maybe I'll get around to it when the Vita is on its dying breath as a last swan song too the greatest handheld ever made. :giggle:

Time to tame that beast and show him who's the boss.... oh who am I kidding, as if that's even possible :lol:.

But the Vita will never die.

• Like 1

I've yet to play Ys Celceta, although I know I really should. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and I actually own the game, but you know how the backlog struggles go. :P I see you made the guide on this site, so I look forward to using it when I do play it. ;)

Now that Ys Origin is coming to Vita, though, I'm wondering if I should play that first. I'll admit that I don't know much about the series and I'm not sure if they're related or not. If they are, it would make sense to play Origin first. Even if they aren't, maybe it's better to start with the more dated game and move my way up? Not sure. :hmm:

Ys Origin is not a good entry to start off with if you've never played an Ys game before.  If you've never played an Ys game, go for Memories of Celceta because that's a really good starting point to dive into the world and the series lore with even if it's also one of the newest entries.  If you have played an Ys game before, make sure you have played I&II before playing Origin because Origin pretty much will spoil nearly all of those games.  I&II is playable on Vita since it's available on PSN (same goes for Oath in Felgnana, Seven, and Ark of Napishtim, but PSP Ark of Napishtim isn't very good since it was ported by Konami, not Falcom, if you want that one, get it on PC).

Otherwise, the games can pretty much be played in any order.  Most fans will recommend starting with either Memories of Celceta or Oath in Felghana though since those are solid games that are easy to jump into the plot with.  The only games in the series that may have systems that feel dated are going to be I&II with its bump combat and Ark of Napishtim which was greatly improved upon with Oath in Felghana and Origin.  Those games are sill fun, but they will feel like a step back from the rest of the games.

Ys Origin holds up well and has aged quite well.  It's going to be a more challenging entry than Memories of Celceta is.  It's split into three paths where you play as one of the three characters.  Each character has a different playstyle, but overall the game will remain mostly the same with some minor differences between the paths.  Once you know what you are doing, it's very possible to beat a path in under 5 hours, so it's not a long game, but it is going to be a bit more grindy, especially on higher difficulties, than Celceta is.  Celceta is more of a explore the world and as long as you aren't avoiding monsters you are capable of beating, you'll be fine on levels, but it is a bit longer and the platinum will require two playthoughs.

By the way, my advice for anyone who plays Ys Origin, start with Hugo's path.  For one, his skills and playstyle make it the easiest.  For another, his path is a bit more entertaining because he's got such an abrasive personality and pisses off nearly everyone in rather hilarious ways at times.  Storywise, I found his path the most fun.

• Like 2

Ys Origin is not a good entry to start off with if you've never played an Ys game before.  If you've never played an Ys game, go for Memories of Celceta because that's a really good starting point to dive into the world and the series lore with even if it's also one of the newest entries.  If you have played an Ys game before, make sure you have played I&II before playing Origin because Origin pretty much will spoil nearly all of those games.  I&II is playable on Vita since it's available on PSN (same goes for Oath in Felgnana, Seven, and Ark of Napishtim, but PSP Ark of Napishtim isn't very good since it was ported by Konami, not Falcom, if you want that one, get it on PC).

Otherwise, the games can pretty much be played in any order.  Most fans will recommend starting with either Memories of Celceta or Oath in Felghana though since those are solid games that are easy to jump into the plot with.  The only games in the series that may have systems that feel dated are going to be I&II with its bump combat and Ark of Napishtim which was greatly improved upon with Oath in Felghana and Origin.  Those games are sill fun, but they will feel like a step back from the rest of the games.

Ys Origin holds up well and has aged quite well.  It's going to be a more challenging entry than Memories of Celceta is.  It's split into three paths where you play as one of the three characters.  Each character has a different playstyle, but overall the game will remain mostly the same with some minor differences between the paths.  Once you know what you are doing, it's very possible to beat a path in under 5 hours, so it's not a long game, but it is going to be a bit more grindy, especially on higher difficulties, than Celceta is.  Celceta is more of a explore the world and as long as you aren't avoiding monsters you are capable of beating, you'll be fine on levels, but it is a bit longer and the platinum will require two playthoughs.

By the way, my advice for anyone who plays Ys Origin, start with Hugo's path.  For one, his skills and playstyle make it the easiest.  For another, his path is a bit more entertaining because he's got such an abrasive personality and pisses off nearly everyone in rather hilarious ways at times.  Storywise, I found his path the most fun.

Oh, it's not? I figured with a name like Origin, it would have been a logical place to start. I didn't know it was a prequel to Ys I. I'm glad to hear a lot of the older Ys games are playable on Vita. I'll have to look into buying them.

Okay, I'll start with Celceta then since I already own that one. I'm surprised I still haven't played it yet tbh. I love JRPGs, and Celceta is one of the most highly praised on the platform. One of these days! :P

Now that you explain it, Origin sounds quite complicated. Probably not the best place to start for a noob like me. :P I appreciate you going into detail and explaining these things to me. You've done it a few times now, and it's very helpful! :)  

Oh, it's not? I figured with a name like Origin, it would have been a logical place to start. I didn't know it was a prequel to Ys I. I'm glad to hear a lot of the older Ys games are playable on Vita. I'll have to look into buying them.

Okay, I'll start with Celceta then since I already own that one. I'm surprised I still haven't played it yet tbh. I love JRPGs, and Celceta is one of the most highly praised on the platform. One of these days! :P

Now that you explain it, Origin sounds quite complicated. Probably not the best place to start for a noob like me. :P I appreciate you going into detail and explaining these things to me. You've done it a few times now, and it's very helpful! :)  

Ys Origin is a prequel game that takes place 700 years before Ys I.  So its there mostly to show the events that led up to what happened in Ys I and II which is the resolution.  The thing is, a big part of Ys I and II is the fact that you know nothing about the place and get to discover what happened, so playing Origin first can ruin some of the mystery.  The other reason why it's not very reflective is the lack of Adol, who is the main character and who you'll play as for the majority of the rest of the games (though Seven and Celceta have a party system that does let you swap characters for some different playstyles).

• Like 1

What about the other Ys game? Will it not be localized? If it is, I probably missed the news.

I wonder how many times I'm going to quote it =D

XSEED is waiting for PS4 to hit Japan. No one knows whether they already started working on Vita version so the translation can only be ported or they will start working once the PS4 version is out.

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

In that case Origins will be perfect if they adapt Steam achievements :D (And they will o.O)

So many playthroughs, hoo boy.

On 12/5/2016 at 8:48 AM, ladynadiad said:

Ys Origin is not a good entry to start off with if you've never played an Ys game before.

Oopsies. Origins was my first Ys game. ... I have no regrets.

59 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

Oopsies. Origins was my first Ys game. ... I have no regrets.

Personally I would say it's totally fine to play Ys: Origins before any other game of the series but I guess the impact when you saw Hugo's or Toal's ending wasn't as great as when you played Ys I & II first.
Gameplay-wise I would recommend Ys: Origins at least much more as a starting point than I & II with their bumping system. Especially Darm Tower was annoying with that mechanic. :\

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, MegaZeroXX said:

Is Ys Origin that will be coming out this February 21 has a Trophy set?

With only a few exceptions every game released since 2009 has a trophy list. You can get an impression of what they might look like by looking at the Steam achievement-list:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/207350/achievements

• 2 weeks later...

Ys Origin for Vita got delayed to May 30, PS4-version will still release on February 21. :/

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/ys-origin-ps4-ps-vita-yunica-hugo-trailer-ps-vita-version-delayed-may-30

@mking_63 (so you also get informed).

A "new" trailer was also released:

Spoiler

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Ys Origin for Vita got delayed to May 30, PS4-version will still release on February 21. :/

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/ys-origin-ps4-ps-vita-yunica-hugo-trailer-ps-vita-version-delayed-may-30

I would usually be annoyed because of this, but there's way too many games coming out over the next few months anyway, so I can wait until May. It will be worth it for the best version. ;)