The Park Talk

Lady_Galleth

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, BG_painter said:

hello! this game is for sale now in psn and i am considering buying it. i can tell you liked it, but tell how is the game? puzzles? finding itens? enemies to fight? walking simulator? (lol) i wouyld like to hear your opinion.

I played it with a friend on his PC. The game lasts for 1h and it's pretty much a walking simulator.

I actually screamed a couple of times xD when suddenly something scary spawns in your face.

I didn't like/really understand the ending, but it was a decent game.

I'm really considering to get it for $4.89 and get the 100% but I'm not sure if it is worthy...

Edited by charlijaen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, charlijaen said:

I played it with a friend on his PC. The game lasts for 1h and it's pretty much a walking simulator.

I actually screamed a couple of times xD when suddenly something scary spawns in your face.

I didn't like/really understand the ending, but it was a decent game.

I'm really considering to get it for $4.89 and get the 100% but I'm not sure if it is worthy...

thank you!

• Like 1

Yeah, for 5 bucks it's worth it. If you're not too into scares like I am, watch a Let's Play of it first beforehand so you know when things get scary, though I only remember... two, maybe three jumpscares? It's a pretty enjoyable experience... if you enjoy killer chipmunks, that is. :D The ending is ambiguous, but, if you do get it, I' be happy to tell you all my interpretation of it. And it is short, though my playthrough lasted about 3 hours because I was too busy running around exploring. Granted, the world isn't that big, but... X3

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heavy story spoilers, seriously, if you wanna play the game then don't read:

Spoiler

It seems she might have killed someone at "The Park" as a child. Then she got treatments her mom and the sheriff agreed to give her without her say. She described it as being agony, but she needed it, but she didn't want the agony etc. She seems to have got electroshock treatment for example. When she got older she got her own kid. The man seems to have been out of the picture for a while, but she got a picture of him with her at some point. The Hamsel and Gretel story's ending had a nice twist, where they said the kids couldn't just live on candies and sweets, so they eat the witch. She explains at some point that kids is just a lot of work and just sucks the life out of you, anyone who says otherwise is dishonest etc. This seems to have been the case for her, the kid was too much for her. She tries her best to overcome the urge to kill a child, but she seems to become more and more violent and more and more driven to do so. Eventually she kills her own child. I don't think she does this in the park at all, because the actual location where she is most of the time before she kills the child is at her own house, she just thinks back to the park where she did her first kill I think. Eventually she's at the police office, where she's told them that she's lost her child.

idk, please do feel free correct me! :) 

• 5 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the game, it takes around 1-2 hrs to complete and  it did make me jump a couple of times and a huge reveal near the end.

( EXPLANATION SPOILERS) The story is that your character is mentally unstable and when she went to a theme park she killed her kid and when the police confronted her she only admitted that she didn't know where her child was but she actually did as you learn during her (flashback if you may) during the game that she genuinely is ill and there was abuse within the family so therefore hid the memory of what happened to her child.

Edited by ZachBoardyHD
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just finished the 100% for the game, it's doable on a single run thought it's not super long so if you need to double run it for a few "missable" trophies it's not the end of the world.  As for the explanation of the 2.5 stories happening during your trek I'll throw my $0.02 behind a spoiler tag in a second, all in all it's not a rare 100% but a well done semi-interactive story a la Gone Home where depending on the amount of searching and reading you do will determine how much mileage you'll get from the project.  It would be interesting to see this dev team make another one with a more expansive budget and longer story in mind, they had a few neat tricks they employed that would be fun in a bigger budget piece.

Spoiler

It appears from doing my best to check out anything interactive in the playable areas that there are effective 2.5-3 story lines going on at the time: 1. Lorraine (the player) searching for her son, 2. Lorraine struggling with severe postpartum depression and unresolved mental instability, 3. The allegedly sinister backstory for the amusement park itself.

Let's get one obvious thing out of the way, your son is dead at the time of the game, also spoiler in a spoiler you killed him during a psychotic break brought on by misuse of anti-psychosis medication.  At the end of the game when you are journeying through the repeating versions of your home/apartment that get further and further twisted (showing the lapse of time in the real world as your character descended into madness) pay attention to the various interactive objects in the various versions of "home" and the other set pieces.  My guess as to what happened is that as Lorraine became further and further detached and unpredictable due to the prescription drugs she was abusing she ended up smashing Callum in the head with a pipe wrench while he was watching television killing him.  My reasoning here is that in the first few "worlds" it allows you to interact with both his blue baseball cap and the wrench while the chair is upright in from the of TV, in later worlds the chair is on its side with a blood stain beneath it and in one world you are able to interact with a bloody baseball cap.  PS pick up the books you are allowed to interact with and flip them over the test on the back changes following her descent into madness, half from internal psychosis and half from guilt from killing her child.

The constant referencing to "Hanzel and Gretyl" is in some ways a metaphor and some ways a red herring, Lorraine sees the part of herself that she tries to suppress with drugs and reconstructed memories with the witch from the story and equates her own mother with the mother from the story who actively abandoned her children.  If you read the letters in the repeating world you'll find a response letter from her mother indicating she can't forgive Lorraine for sticking by her father's side when the mother left and indicating she doesn't want to have any further contact with Lorraine.  Also there is a letter from the attorney for the dead boyfriend's estate (I believe, it could be referencing the father) indicating that due to familial interference she is unable to receive any support following the death of her lover guaranteeing financial ruin and poverty for her and Callum, which was the major domino to fall for her psyche.

As far as I can determine, Callum's father worked and died at the amusement park you visit in the game.

There does appear to be some attempt at a cursed/sinister backstory for the park that the park you are running around is actually the second version of the park the first being run by a sadistic monster who used the carefree appearance of an amusement park to lure children in for gruesome experiments or just sport killing, and the second owner using the dark spiritual emanations left by all the slaughtered children to achieve some Lovecraftian end (notice the C'thulu t-shirt Callum is wearing).  It is possible that the original Chad the Chipmunk was the one responsible for the gruesome child mutilation in Park 1.0 and subsequent Chad's get overwhelmed by the darkness of the character.  The info didn't fully line up and given that you are reading everything through the eyes of a protagonist desperate to avoid the reality that her child died by her own hand and is looking for "monsters" that could have done this deed, the fact that the house of horrors is mostly just mirrors hinting that the child killing monster she is looking for stares back at her in every mirror.  So that being said it's possible that everything to do with the park "story" is all a giant misdirect.

PS don't forget that the first line and the last line of the game are similar and that the info desk attendant and the police officer from the end of the game are the same person, so given that he she says she constantly returns to the park in her heart and mind, this game may never have happened ?

feel free to add or subtract as you feel fit.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:38 AM, ZachBoardyHD said:

( EXPLANATION SPOILERS) The story is that your character is mentally unstable and when she went to a theme park she killed her kid and when the police confronted her she only admitted that she didn't know where her child was but she actually did as you learn during her (flashback if you may) during the game that she genuinely is ill and there was abuse within the family so therefore hid the memory of what happened to her child.

Just finished this surprise of a game and this was almost exactly my take as well. Got it for 4 bucks, spent about 2 hours on it. Not too shabby, the story was a lot better than I expected and the last act is only a little short of greatness.

• Like 1