√Letter On Vita Vs. PS4?

Cynthia-Roses

8 hours ago, DennisWilles said:

If there's 2 versions, the PS4 version will always be superior. Why limit yourself if you can experience something on a big screen, with much better sound and more comfort reading? At home this isn't even a question, there is absolutely no reason to play a handheld at home if you have a PS4. And if you're on a train then.. well, then you gotta ask yourself why you even bother playing it in such an uncomfortable place instead of waiting a few hours to be home.

If a game only comes out on a handheld then fair enough but every other time it's a handicap. 

Handhelds are only truly useful if you travel a lot. If you're communing to work every day and it takes 2-3 hours, then you can kind of get away with it. Or if you go on holiday and you want to play something in the car or while you're on the plane, obviously that is when the Vita will destroy the PS4.

Any other case... I'm sorry, but the Vita can't compete with the PS4. I know a lot of people live in the past and play with their Vita while in their bed. Sometimes I do as well. But it's extremely rare, especially since I have a PS4 in my room as well. I enjoy my Vita, but it doesn't get much use because I have always preferred having a controller and a TV screen. To me that will always be gaming. Also the reason why I don't have PSVR yet.

4 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Because it's more comfortable on Vita? :awesome: 

How do you imagine that? Without headphones, the sound is absolutely garbage. My Nintendo 2DS' one speaker has better sound than the Vita's speakers. So you're locked to having to play with headphones for hours on end. I find that very uncomfortable after a few hours. Then you have to constantly strain your neck looking downward at the screen all the time. For me, I fidget and reposition myself a lot when I play the Vita, which isn't what I would classify as comfortable.

Meanwhile, I can vegetate in front of my TV for 10 hours if I have the time to burn without getting up, going to take a leak, or getting any sort of snack. That's something I would call comfortable. You also have the option of playing with a headphone, or using a surround system to make the sound so much better. I know, we're talking about visual novels, and consoles won't blow you away that much more when it's visual novels we're talking about, but I vastly preferred Steins;Gate on PS3 than I did on the Vita. For the reasons I listed here...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

How do you imagine that? Without headphones, the sound is absolutely garbage. My Nintendo 2DS' one speaker has better sound than the Vita's speakers. So you're locked to having to play with headphones for hours on end. I find that very uncomfortable after a few hours. Then you have to constantly strain your neck looking downward at the screen all the time. For me, I fidget and reposition myself a lot when I play the Vita, which isn't what I would classify as comfortable.

Meanwhile, I can vegetate in front of my TV for 10 hours if I have the time to burn without getting up, going to take a leak, or getting any sort of snack. That's something I would call comfortable. You also have the option of playing with a headphone, or using a surround system to make the sound so much better. I know, we're talking about visual novels, and consoles won't blow you away that much more when it's visual novels we're talking about, but I vastly preferred Steins;Gate on PS3 than I did on the Vita. For the reasons I listed here...

Then I must have a special Vita (well, obviously I do :awesome: ) because I can hear perfectly fine. I even have to sometimes tune it down because it's so loud. In fact, having headphones usually makes it worse xD

And lying in the bed with Vita is not really thing of a past, it's the most comfortable thing in the world :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

I always play with headphones as I don't really mind them but even without the headphones the sound is pretty good actually, in my opinion. Sure, it's nothing compared to my speakers but it's not bad at all.

11 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

And lying in the bed with Vita is not really thing of a past, it's the most comfortable thing in the world :P

True, it's frikkin' amazing :P

• Like 1

I'll bring it back to the good old example of reading a book since that's essentially what a VN is. How do you read them? You hold them in your hand and they have regular sized pages, right? You know, like a normal person. :P Or do you blow them up to A0 size and sit halfway across the room reading them? I know what one I prefer. Hint: It's not the latter. :P

10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Exactly this, there is no need to take anything else in consideration.

That should be enough said, but not for some people apparently. I thought it was pretty obvious that you play VN's on a handheld for the best experience, but some people like to live a life of ignorance. :P We can't be mad at these people, though, we should pity them because they aren't able to experience these games to their fullest. It's quite sad really. :lol:

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 2

I haven't played a lot of VNs but after recently playing Hakuoki:Stories of the Shinsengumi on the big screen on my PS3, I prefer playing them on Vita.

Yes, it looked great but I prefer reading a game (subtitles) on a handheld rather than the big screen. I find subtitles in film fairly innocuous after years of watching foreign films and don't actually notice myself doing it. That experience is, for me, the same on the Vita.

I found on the PS3 (and I would assume PS4) that the text did not incorporate as smoothly for me and found myself concentrating on the text and ignoring the visuals. This ruins the "visual" side of a VN for me and I will likely not repeat this unless a free version of one gets issued on PS+ for PS3/4.  I'll stick with the Vita.

Just my two cents. Everyone has their own preferences and as long as the game gets enjoyed, that's all that really matters.

10 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'll bring it back to the good old example of reading a book since that's essentially what a VN is. How do you read them? You hold them in your hand and they have regular sized pages, right? You know, like a normal person. :P Or do you blow them up to A0 size and sit halfway across the room reading them? I know what one I prefer. Hint: It's not the latter. :P

That should be enough said, but not for some people apparently. I thought it was pretty obvious that you play VN's on a handheld for the best experience, but some people like to live a life of ignorance. :P We can't be mad at these people, though, we should pity them because they aren't able to experience these games to their fullest. It's quite sad really. :lol:

Except a visual novel is not a book. You're not flipping through pages like you would with a physical book. Therefore, your very simplistic analogy is shit.

This is like saying you're not allowed to listen to an audiobook any way you want to. You HAVE to listen to it in your old CD player. Right? :/

Edited by Stevieboy

8 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

We can tone down the elitism a bit, me thinks.

To play devil's advocate here though: A visual novel is more... Visual than reading a book. Big pictures, lots of pretty art... And pretty art looks better on a higher res, nicer screen. Let's also not forget that one of the most popular consoles of all time for VNs was the PS2. So there are advantages to playing on a home console vs. a handheld.

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

For the record, it was a joke that someone took a little too seriously...

Your tone does not make that obvious. Considering you were building an argument against playing on consoles.

Respect other people's ideals of how they prefer playing and try not to crap on them. We all have opinions and they are all valid, that's why they are opinions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

For the record, it was a joke that someone took a little too seriously...

When you resort to shaming other people in your jokes you need to be extra careful in setting it up so it won't be taken the wrong way. Slapping random emoticons here and there isn't the answer. I'm sure you'll improve on your comedy if you practice on it vehemently, daily, and without posting on the internet :P

• Like 1

And I thought this thread was just about the question if there are any performance differences* between the PS4- and PS Vita-version that make one version superior to the other and not about the preferred playing habits and if one way to read a VN is the better way than the other.

*advice:
No there's none. The game might have slightly longer loading times on the Vita like gary_danial said but the only loading times are the ones when you change the in-game location and those loading times are 2 seconds max and it's not even a real loading screen so you will barely notice it.

Gameplay-wise and enjoyment-wise there won't be any differences between both version.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

And I thought this thread was just about the question if there are any performance differences* between the PS4- and PS Vita-version that make one version superior to the other and not about the preferred playing habits and if one way to read a VN is the better way than the other.

*advice:
No there's none. The game might have slightly longer loading times on the Vita like gary_danial said but the only loading times are the ones when you change the in-game location and those loading times are 2 seconds max and it's not even a real loading screen so you will barely notice it.

Gameplay-wise and enjoyment-wise there won't be any differences between both version.

This is super refreshing to hear echoed so I know it's not jsut one person. I am very glad about this because I truly want to enjoy this game to the fullest and I was hoping the lower price for the Vita version didn't come at a huge cost.

There is of course... One other drawback of the Vita version that a lot of people never consider: when you're married Vita games suck unless you own two Vitas. Me and my wife share a Vita, so if she wants to earn trophies... She can't without some really obnoxious memory card fuffing that requires you to like reset the whole system or some crap. So if I get it on the Vita I am pretty much ensuring my wife can't play it in the event she wants to.

That is a consideration to make: PS4 is more multiple user friendly.

2 minutes ago, ars said:

Is there a gallery mode? You DO get hi-res screencaps on PS4 so there's that. But I do agree Vita is made for VN, buy the Vita games now they still exist to prolong your handheld's life...

There's some gallery but IIRC you only unlock it if you do one optional sidequest and it doesn't unlock normally by getting one ending. Like I said, I don't remember the exact conditions and I'm not even sure I unlocked it for myself.

2 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

This is super refreshing to hear echoed so I know it's not jsut one person. I am very glad about this because I truly want to enjoy this game to the fullest and I was hoping the lower price for the Vita version didn't come at a huge cost.

There is of course... One other drawback of the Vita version that a lot of people never consider: when you're married Vita games suck unless you own two Vitas. Me and my wife share a Vita, so if she wants to earn trophies... She can't without some really obnoxious memory card fuffing that requires you to like reset the whole system or some crap. So if I get it on the Vita I am pretty much ensuring my wife can't play it in the event she wants to.

That is a consideration to make: PS4 is more multiple user friendly.

I'm enjoying my Vita and prefer some games on it (like VNs) but I can accept if there are better versions or other benefits which make others play those versions.

From what I got from some other posts of yours you're a person that prefers to buy the download versions, right? If so and there's a high chance that your wife is interested in playing/reading this game too then I would consider buying the download version for the PS4 as the memory card resetting (and seeing that introduction video for the umpteenth time) isn't fun at all. If you also buy physical versions than I would say you can go for any of the versions. But it's up to you and you just have to weighing up if it's worth to pay $60 for a VN with a maximum length of 10 to 15 hours or if you want to go for the $40-version.

11 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

From what I got from some other posts of yours you're a person that prefers to buy the download versions, right?

I actually prefer physical copies. Sometimes I bite the bullet and "Deal with" the download versions, but I loathe their limitations. It makes things complicated when you have two people who use the system and we are considering getting a second PS4 that will make it even more complicated with digital games because we can't BOTH be primary users on both systems.

2 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

I actually prefer physical copies. Sometimes I bite the bullet and "Deal with" the download versions, but I loathe their limitations. It makes things complicated when you have two people who use the system and we are considering getting a second PS4 that will make it even more complicated with digital games because we can't BOTH be primary users on both systems.

Okay, got it wrong then. And I realized that I totally misunderstood your point about the Vita as I somehow read that you have two Vita. My bad.

But still I would say that it's more practical to go for a PS4-copy then, but instead of download the retail version.

• Like 1

I think battery life should be a factor as well. You only get five hours of life on your Vita if you're playing on max brightness, which is kind of a must if you're playing in any sort of sunlight. And then you're a prisoner of the charger cord. So then the Vita loses it's only good strength, the portability.

Same thing could be said about the Dualshock 4's battery life, but since you're at home anyway, it's much easier to connect it and charge as you play.

Either way, whether some like to laugh heartily about it and make painfully unironic jokes or not, a 1080p game on a large TV is better than a 720p game on a five inch Vita screen, in virtually every single case outside of a long distance travel. And since I don't travel much, I'm sure you can imagine how useful that is to me.

33 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I think battery life should be a factor as well. You only get five hours of life on your Vita if you're playing on max brightness, which is kind of a must if you're playing in any sort of sunlight. And then you're a prisoner of the charger cord. So then the Vita loses it's only good strength, the portability.

Vita is not 720p. 5 hours is about the time any portable system has juice for something resources heavy (laptops even less) so that is something you expect from them. You carry a backup battery pack if you need more out of your mobile phone/pad/laptop/handheld. Don't keep brightness at full and put it on standby when you don't use it, Vita lasts me a full work day with travel too. I fail to see your reasons why we'd need to scrape for excuses to put two completely different things against each other as a gaming platform.

If you like to play PS4 at home then go ahead, but PS4 not having battery issues doesn't make it any more portable. Portability kind of being Vita's point :) And if you only play at home the battery becomes a non-issue, then it's about whether you want hi-res (or account share as Cynthia-Roses pointed out), or release a TV for other family members' use. Doesn't make either product "better" as a whole, you pick them based on what you want out of it.

Moving on to some real criticism, Cynthia-Roses' complaint about Vita being single account locked, that's a big design handicap along with the proprietary and overpriced memory cards, overpriced games... Restrictive stuff like that kills products unless you have a massive fanbase that's generally OK with anything, like Apple does.

7 hours ago, Valyrious said:

True, and given VNs are usually a lot of text that you don't want to just stop reading mid chapter due to forgetting what was happening, unless you are not leaving the house it limits portability for me.

6 hours ago, ars said:

Vita is not 720p

Correct, it's actually 544p which is a step above HQ and a step below HD. It's sort of "in between" really.

6 hours ago, ars said:

5 hours is about the time any portable system has juice for something resources heavy (laptops even less) so that is something you expect from them.

It wasn't always but in recent years it's sadly become the case and everyone started doing it so we sort of started accepting it. Though I can admit there are a few products that break the trend. Apple's Macbooks generally get close to 7-8 hours of battery life, and the OpenPandora actually achieves 10 hours of battery life regardless of what you're doing on it and that was a device made by a small team. Some of these big AAA manufacturers need to start investing in better battery tech. I would gladly pay a little more for extended battery life, considering many of the 2000mAH batteries that people sell for the Dualshock 4 are only like $5-10, they could easily afford to start sticking bigger batteries in systems.

Nintendo was cheeky about it with the Wii U Gamepad where they put a 3-4 hour battery in the pad but purposely made the battery bay big enough to fit a double sized unit in and then sold that unit from their website from day one. Like they knew that it would need a bigger battery and they sold it separately.

6 hours ago, ars said:

Don't keep brightness at full

True, but it just feels foolish sometimes to have to make further compromise to get that portability considering I'm already sacrificing playing it on my much nicer TV screen, and playing in SD over 1080pHD.

6 hours ago, ars said:

Vita lasts me a full work day with travel too. I fail to see your reasons why we'd need to scrape for excuses to put two completely different things against each other as a gaming platform.

I think it's more of he is explaining how the need for either version depends on the person. For many that 1080p is important and for others portability is important.

6 hours ago, ars said:

Moving on to some real criticism, Cynthia-Roses' complaint about Vita being single account locked, that's a big design handicap along with the proprietary and overpriced memory cards, overpriced games... Restrictive stuff like that kills products unless you have a massive fanbase that's generally OK with anything, like Apple does.

Truth! It works for Apple because their products target a specific market and that market is super dedicated. Plus... You can never really complain too much about Apple products performance. They have lower end hardware, but somehow they run so smooth...