Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

Does this mean I can add Fortnite to my list of completed titles, since only the BR mode is available for Switch?

36297868_985205888304424_599458511601637 

14 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Quake 1 felt a lot different from 2 and 4 though... it was more of a horror movie vibe from what I recall.

tumblr_ltad2xXg5m1qbw75zo1_500.gif

41 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Does this mean I can add Fortnite to my list of completed titles, since only the BR mode is available for Switch?

Hide contents

36297868_985205888304424_599458511601637 

Nope, itmeans you can never add Fortnite to your completed titles list.

Hey, YOU were the one starting a grouping called uncompletables, Fortnite is one of them.

Hide contents

tumblr_ltad2xXg5m1qbw75zo1_500.gif

Ugh. Am I the only one getting annoyed when a gif is not long enough to actually have a person say what his subtitles say?

WT6Hk.gif

Took me so long to find this one when I first used it, because most of those gifs just used anything from "call guidelines than actual rules" to "tual rules". It's so annoying...

10 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

It's not just you. Reviewers scored the game lower points because they thought the single player was a little hard. I'm not too far in the story mode yet (only the second world) but so far I think the difficulty is fair and balanced. That might change as I progress further.

I tried the multiplayer too. I've won a few games but overall I think I need a little more practice. There are a few tricks other players know about that I'm still dunce about LOL.

It gets pretty annoying later on. I'm on what I think is the final world already. Game desperately needs a "reset" option instead of simply "quit" so I don't have to sit through the minute long 'haha, better luck next time' dialogue cutscenes a hundred times.

I highly believe the difficulty is meant to cover up the games incredibly short length.

3 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Nope, itmeans you can never add Fortnite to your completed titles list.

Hey, YOU were the one starting a grouping called uncompletables, Fortnite is one of them.

Ugh. Am I the only one getting annoyed when a gif is not long enough to actually have a person say what his subtitles say?

If I make the rules then, I can change them. Yup. I got the Invisible Platinum trophy in that game and everything.

It annoys the crap out of me tbh, I don't really care, but it does annoy me. I didn't care enough though, to find a full one for a useless reference.

5 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

WT6Hk.gif

Took me so long to find this one when I first used it, because most of those gifs just used anything from "call guidelines than actual rules" to "tual rules". It's so annoying...

Agreed. Also, I don't know what the "horror film" picture is from.

MosesRockefeller... proudly not understanding 99% of memes since 2001!

20 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

It's not just you. Reviewers scored the game lower points because they thought the single player was a little hard. I'm not too far in the story mode yet (only the second world) but so far I think the difficulty is fair and balanced. That might change as I progress further.

I tried the multiplayer too. I've won a few games but overall I think I need a little more practice. There are a few tricks other players know about that I'm still dunce about LOL.

10 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

It gets pretty annoying later on. I'm on what I think is the final world already. Game desperately needs a "reset" option instead of simply "quit" so I don't have to sit through the minute long 'haha, better luck next time' dialogue cutscenes a hundred times.

I highly believe the difficulty is meant to cover up the games incredibly short length.

Cool to hear it's a bit difficult. Nintendo games have been getting too easy lately, a short difficult game might be more enjoyable to me right now than a long and easy one.

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Agreed. Also, I don't know what the "horror film" picture is from.

MosesRockefeller... proudly not understanding 99% of memes since 2001!

I recognise Andy Samberg (if you haven't yet, watch Brooklyn Nine  Nine, great show) so it's probably something from the band he's in (Lonely Island), or a Saturday Night Live sketch.

All you need to know about Lonely Island:

1 hour ago, Cthulhu said:

I recognise Andy Samberg (if you haven't yet, watch Brooklyn Nine  Nine, great show) so it's probably something from the band he's in (Lonely Island), or a Saturday Night Live sketch.

Huh, I didn't recognize him. I've seen him in a bunch of stuff; he guest starred in Parks and Recreation (a great show and way funnier than The Office IMO), and I liked him a lot in 7 Days in Hell.

So, Lumines Remastered and Donkey Kong DLC for Mario+Rabbids came out yesterday. I grabbed both. Has anybody played them yet?

I also broke down and got Owlboy on sale, despite my strong objection to it not having an in-game map. The graphics style is lovely, and with it on sale I decided it was time to put aside my objections and get it.

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

So, Lumines Remastered and Donkey Kong DLC for Mario+Rabbids came out yesterday. I grabbed both. Has anybody played them yet?

I won't buy anything for a while, I hope. Pode looks interesting though.

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I also broke down and got Owlboy on sale, despite my strong objection to it not having an in-game map. The graphics style is lovely, and with it on sale I decided it was time to put aside my objections and get it.

By now I'm expecting it to be mediocre, let me know what you think of it afterwards, especially compared to Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight and Yoku's Island Express.

Honestly, earning Xbox achievements in Minecraft on Switch is... absolutely not as weird as some people said and it's almost like I don't care.

Anyway, here's my latest Switch business.

Picked up

- Crash N-Sane Trilogy

- Mario Tennis Aces

- Minecraft

- Rayman Legends

- Wolfenstein 2

- FIFA 18

- $50 eShop vouchers

Hoping that that will keep me afloat at least until the end of the year, gonna try to focus on finishing up my Switch backlog for the rest of the year. The fifty can be either for Shakedown Hawaii if it ever comes out, or the NS Online, or something else on sale that's worthwhile, but I am really gonna be attacking the backlog while I got the next two years off while Caitlyn's studying (still working part time but I've gone from five days a week to one or two some weeks when they need me).

Also clocked in over 40 hours on Fortnite. Remember like 3 weeks ago when I wanted to give it another go on Switch... because I thought it was absolutely shit on Xbox? Well I love the thing now and it's surprisingly turned out to be one of the most fun two player games I have despite it not having a traditional two player mode. You know what all this means?

FORTNITE ON SWITCH IS MY MOST PLAYED SWITCH GAME, PERIOD. It took pretty much a year for someone to dethrone NBA Playgrounds, and had it's patch not ruined everything it probably would have had another 40 odd hours on it at least, but yup, in around two weeks of being available, Fortnite has become my most played Switch game. Now sure, a lot of people sunk a good hundred hours into Zelda and 40 is a drop in the ocean to them, hell, my buddy Nathan has well over 220 hours last I saw, and my bud Zac has 180 something in NBA 2K, but 40 hours is a shitload to me, and it's only looking to get higher. Also I won a game again this morning, and nearly won another two throughout the day, dang it.

"Obtained" a copy of Yoku's Island Express on PC to try it... which is typically what I'll do whenever possible since I don't want to support digital, but I like to avoid paying a premium for a physical copy of a game I'm not even sure I'll like.  It was fun in the prologue section I played, very unusual for a Metroidvania.

Went ahead and ordered myself a Switch copy on eBay.  The beauty of these obscure physical releases, is that it may be overpriced if I buy it in a store or from a "buy it now" on eBay... but every so often someone starts an auction at a lower price and underestimate the interest in the game (not because its a bad game, but just fewer people even aware there is a physical option available).  So I jumped on one of those with very little push-back from other bidders and brought my price for a new copy of Yoku's Island Express down considerably. ??

My Switch collection is still pretty modest (only like 10-15 games?) but it's quickly turning into a platformers paradise.  Mario Odyssey, Axiom Verge, Owlboy, Hollow Knight, The End Is Nigh, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.  Now Yoku's Island Paradise.  Keep 'em coming, I say!  (Just need someone somewhere to announce a physical copy of Hollow Knight now!)

EDIT:
Also, LimitedRunGames first Switch release started shipping a few days ago... and mine arrived yesterday!  So beautiful. xD Pretty lukewarm on the point n' click adventure style of the game in general, guess we'll see how I like it when I try it someday.  But any LRG#1 is welcome in my collection.

dZJlfdw.jpg

Edited by Dreakon13

Woohoo! I finished the Story mode in Death Squared. Thanks again @Cthulhu for encouraging me to stick with it. I got badly stuck on two levels after I broke through my initial roadblock on level 16, but I finally finished those levels after about 30 minutes of trying each. Usually it doesn't take more than 10 minutes, but those two were doozies for me. I also tried the first couple of Party levels. They're pretty cool, but I imagine they get frustrating with only a solo player after a while. What a great game though; $15 for 80 solo story levels, 40 2-player levels, and even more "bonus" multiplayer levels. I thought the voice acting in the Story mode was great, especially for an indie game. Oftentimes the voice acting in indie games very amateurish but it was actually decently acted and pretty amusing at times! It also plays great on the Switch, with no slowdowns or control issues. I strongly recommend the game.

Finally, one more game to cross off my list! Now if I can just balance it out so that I don't complete 2 games and buy 6 more in the same month. :awesome:

Edited by MosesRockefeller

@MosesRockefeller well done!

And now the final twist. In the story mode, the Dave and Iris... are voiced by the same actor. His Dave was apparently just a placeholder initially but apparently his delivery was so funny that the devs decided to keep him as both characters.

But yeah, Death Squared is great value for money even at full price. Can't wait to see what they'll do next.

Just beat Crash 1. Plays perfectly fine on Switch, as far as I remember from the PS4 version, the graphics haven't taken too bad of a drop, thing plays perfectly smooth and is hella fun.

One thing though, I always forget how much I fucking hate Crash 1 until I replay Crash 1. Thank zombie Jesus for the PROPERLY implemented save feature in the N-Sane version or else I'd be proper fucked probs.

12 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Just beat Crash 1. Plays perfectly fine on Switch, as far as I remember from the PS4 version, the graphics haven't taken too bad of a drop, thing plays perfectly smooth and is hella fun.

One thing though, I always forget how much I fucking hate Crash 1 until I replay Crash 1. Thank zombie Jesus for the PROPERLY implemented save feature in the N-Sane version or else I'd be proper fucked probs.

It's good to hear that Sly 1 has proper saves now (it saves after every level I assume?). I played a bit of the PS1 Classic version about a year ago and having to make a lot of progress to get a savepoint was a major turn-off. That said, I didn't play it when the game was new (I never had a PS1 or PS2), so I'm still not convinced the N-Sane version is for me. But it's good to hear that things were improved at least. I'll probably get the Switch version on a discount.

I am spending more time with Hollow Knight now. I got the map for the first area and bought some of the map upgrades. I definitely wish the map showed at least an outline of explored areas, but I'm managing okay so far. I haven't done much exploration past the first area though.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

It's good to hear that Sly 1 has proper saves now (it saves after every level I assume?). I played a bit of the PS1 Classic version about a year ago and having to make a lot of progress to get a savepoint was a major turn-off. That said, I didn't play it when the game was new (I never had a PS1 or PS2), so I'm still not convinced the N-Sane version is for me. But it's good to hear that things were improved at least. I'll probably get the Switch version on a discount.

The save method is identical to what I remember of the PS4 version, which is a VAST improvement. It auto saves after every level you finish, but you can always save and load up to 3 slots any time at the level select screen at your own discretion (good for multiple playthroughs too I guess), which is great if you suck and wanna do the infinite life spamming you can do at the start of The High Road. The old method sucks, you could only save if you unlocked and completed a bonus room, killed a boss (of which there are like 4 in the whole game), or did a level without dying AND got all the boxes. N-Sane version gives you more checkpoints and when you die in a bonus room you can keep going unlimited and auto saves and all that, much better, honestly I'm still torn a year on over what I prefer in the new version, shiny visuals or proper saving in the first one.

How's this for a discount? Crash is 70 retail here right (good few places are doing 60 odd though, the odd did 50 on launch day, but let's go with 70), but Amazon have it for it for 50. now, if you spend 79 or more in one transaction as a new user you can use a code to get 20 bucks off. Awesome, so I got and buy FIFA 18 for 20, now we're at 70. So I order Chibi Robo on 3DS w/ Amiibo, and Super Stardust VR for 10 and 9 respectively... because those two are part of a BOGOF deal, and for some reason they only made me pay for the 9 one not the 10 one. So 79 on the dot, take off the 20, now we're down to 59 for 4 games. Chibi-Robo traded at EB for 6 dollars, plus my 20% bonus, 7.20 now, the Amiibo was 2.50 and another 20% so 3 bucks, so now 10.20 traded in for Chibi. Stardust was 5 plus 20% so 6, so 16.20 traded for those 2, bringing my 59 dollar purchase down to $42.80. So I got Crash and FIFA for 42.80, buuuut factor in the gold coins if you wish and that's another 70 for Crash and 90 for FIFA so a buck sixty off there, bringing my overall cost (depending on how you look at it) down to $41.20 for a 70 RRP game day one with a copy of the latest FIFA that I half had my eye on* chucked in for good measure.

*Don't judge me, I don't like sports games either but I rented FIFA for the shit of it months back on Switch and it was weirdly fun on the portable, and I LOVE taking silly screenshots of the goal replays, I got one where it looks like they're doing yoga, a few of guys headbutting the ball into the goal while looking braindead, it's great. Plus the game is pretty fun for a quick pick up and play sesh every now and then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

*Don't judge me, I don't like sports games either but I rented FIFA for the shit of it months back on Switch and it was weirdly fun on the portable, and I LOVE taking silly screenshots of the goal replays, I got one where it looks like they're doing yoga, a few of guys headbutting the ball into the goal while looking braindead, it's great. Plus the game is pretty fun for a quick pick up and play sesh every now and then.

That reminds me of photos of athletes masterfully practicing their field of sports and the snapshots capturing all the weirdest and most hilariously extreme expressions on their faces. lol

I continued Adventure Mode in Mario Tennis yesterday and I think the next tennis battle will be the final one. Or perhaps there will be a surprise challenger.
Quite a fun game and I think I'm slowly getting a hang of how to consistently respond to Zone Shots. I wish they hadn't mapped Trick Shot to X in addition to the right stick though because I sometimes accidentally trigger it when trying to lob shot and fail to hit the ball because of it. There's nothing in the settings to disable it either - you can only disable the right stick trigger. :facepalm:

I'm seriously on the fence with this.  Ever since I bought Hollow Knight for the Switch, it's really the only game I've had the itch to play... but I've been holding off hoping to hear something about the final DLC pack.  I already played through it once on PC and loved it (<< avatar lol).  Definitely want to play through it again.

Either I wait and take in the whole experience at once after the final DLC pack comes out.  Or I play through it now like I'm itching to, then just come back for the final DLC content whenever that happens (or play through a third time, but that seems unlikely even in this case).  Decisions...

EDIT: Eee!  In a Reddit AMA, Team Cherry dev said in response to a physical release for Hollow Knight... "Yep, we're working on make it happen right now! Hopefully have some news to share very soon!"  Guess my dream of owning a second Hollow Knight physical release (alongside my limited IndieBox PC copy, which is actually quite valuable these days) is coming true! ?  So I should probably play it in celebration of this news, right?

Edited by Dreakon13

11 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I'm seriously on the fence with this.  Ever since I bought Hollow Knight for the Switch, it's really the only game I've had the itch to play... but I've been holding off hoping to hear something about the final DLC pack.  I already played through it once on PC and loved it (<< avatar lol).  Definitely want to play through it again.

Either I wait and take in the whole experience at once after the final DLC pack comes out.  Or I play through it now like I'm itching to, then just come back for the final DLC content whenever that happens (or play through a third time, but that seems unlikely even in this case).  Decisions...

EDIT: Eee!  In a Reddit AMA, Team Cherry dev said in response to a physical release for Hollow Knight... "Yep, we're working on make it happen right now! Hopefully have some news to share very soon!"  Guess my dream of owning a second Hollow Knight physical release (alongside my limited IndieBox PC copy, which is actually quite valuable these days) is coming true! 1f911.png  So I should probably play it in celebration of this news, right?

Yeah, you should play it. I'm starting to get into it now. The map is the only negative I can find with the game, and it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker so far. 

Well, apparently both LIMBO and INSIDE have released for the Switch, LIMBO for €10 and INSIDE for €20. I'd say the games are worth it for those prices if you've never played them before. It's going to be the second time I buy INSIDE and the third time I buy LIMBO, so I'll wait for a bit of a sale.

Both games are gloomy puzzle platformers that start with a kid in a forest, and take it from there. INSIDE gives you many more snippets of its story than LIMBO does.

I'd say INSIDE is the superior of the two, with more refined gameplay, a bigger story, more puzzles, a higher WTF quotient and a more satisfying conclusion. But that doesn't mean that LIMBO isn't good, just that INSIDE is better.

Also, I decided that now with the good weather, I'd go read more (coursed through The Stand, and busy on Altered Carbon now), so I've only played little bits on the Switch here and there (still better compared to PS4, which I've only used in the past weeks for the challenges in Rayman Legends). On the Switch, I've started on Rayman Legends as well now (great platformer, one of the best from the past decade in my eyes) and I've played through some shorter games like Subsurface Circular, Frederic 2 and Semispheres. I've also played an hour or so of Bayonetta 1 (@MosesRockefeller don't know if I already said this but yeah, I like it) and I played the first two stages in Bloodstained Curse Of The Moon and the BRAIN section in MEMBRANE. 

Looking through my backlog, I've got enough games to last me the rest of the year, I think.

1 hour ago, Cthulhu said:

Well, apparently both LIMBO and INSIDE have released for the Switch, LIMBO for €10 and INSIDE for €20. I'd say the games are worth it for those prices if you've never played them before. It's going to be the second time I buy INSIDE and the third time I buy LIMBO, so I'll wait for a bit of a sale.

Both games are gloomy puzzle platformers that start with a kid in a forest, and take it from there. INSIDE gives you many more snippets of its story than LIMBO does.

I'd say INSIDE is the superior of the two, with more refined gameplay, a bigger story, more puzzles, a higher WTF quotient and a more satisfying conclusion. But that doesn't mean that LIMBO isn't good, just that INSIDE is better.

I've already played Limbo, and Inside is on my PS4 backlog. I'd rather play it portable, but I don't think I want to spend $20 just for that. Maybe I'll get it on sale.

I'm mostly playing Hollow Knight now, which is getting really good. I just got the dash and dream nail upgrades. The weird map system is still a sticking point for me, but I'm living with it (and yes, I'll probably mention it every time I mention the game :P ).

I also played several demos: Sushi Striker, Happy Birthdays, Portal Knights, Super Chariot, Lode Runner, and Octopath Traveler. I will probably play Octopath Traveler's Prologue some more, since I haven't gotten very far with it (I haven't done any combat for example). At first I wrote it off because of the retro graphics, but after actually seeing it in action it's not visually terrible. It's still not a must-buy for me but I'm at least intrigued. Most of the other demos were fine, but not awesome for me. They all performed well, thankfully. Super Chariot seemed cool but it didn't grab me. Lode Runner is a little too basic to draw me in (also I got stuck on the 3rd level and couldn't figure out how to proceed). Portal Knights seemed like almost exactly the same game as Dragon Quest Builders for the little bit I played, but it didn't have the same charm so it's a pass for me. Happy Birthdays was interesting. I'm not really into god games but it seems competent enough.

Sushi Striker was the highlight of all those demos for me. The anime sequences were funny and silly, and the gameplay is pretty fun. I can't justify it being a $50 game though. For me, this is a maximum $20 game. Since it is a first-party Nintendo game, it will probably never get that cheap. I liked what I played but it's just not the kind of game I spend nearly full price on.

Hello Switch players, 

Quick Question re Micro SD Cards

I don't currently use one but have acquired a Samsung 128GB Evo Plus SD card. Would this be suitable for Switch. The size is more than enough for me but just wondering if they will work ok in the Switch. 

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

5 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

Hello Switch players, 

Quick Question re Micro SD Cards

I don't currently use one but have acquired a Samsung 128GB Evo Plus SD card. Would this be suitable for Switch. The size is more than enough for me but just wondering if they will work ok in the Switch. 

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I think that one works. Google for Switch microSD minimum speeds and check if your card's stats are at least as good. I've mentioned them somewhere here before but I don't know them off the top of my head.