Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

4 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I've played a few minutes of Mega Man X, the collections have released. Looks and feels good, and it's going to take effort on my part to keep focus on Banner Saga 1 and Captain Toad. I'm glad, what with Nintendo not doing a Virtual Console like I want, that there are companies like CAPCOM who re-release their own SNES games. And if they hadn't fucked up the pricing for the Street Fighter collection, I'd have bought that one too. With a price like this, it needs to get a 50% discount before I'm even considering buying it.

Nice, I'll be getting X Collection 1 for now and maybe X Collection 2 if I finish the games in the first set. 

Street Fighter wasn't on my radar since I hate - and I'm terrible at - fighting games. But I remember the pricing being questionable. 

Last night I made a very stupid move in Hollow Knight and lost about 4k geo because I wasn't paying attention. Damn. I'm still loving the game, but I am at the point now where I've explored 99% of the areas that I have access to (to add insult to injury, last night I found a treasure room that I couldn't reach with my previous abilities... and I lost all the geo in that room when I lost my "ghost geo" later on). I have 2 or 3 areas I can explore, but they all involve boss fights that are very challenging at my current ability/skill levels. I'll keep swinging away at it. 

On 7/21/2018 at 4:37 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I trust y'all have seen this sucker by now right, about Spyro?

Nice, I hope it's true. I'd definitely get Spyro on Switch. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Nice, I'll be getting X Collection 1 for now and maybe X Collection 2 if I finish the games in the first set. 

I never played any Mega Man game other than the first X game (and had to be told recently that Mega Man X apparently is not Mega Man 10), but I've heard that the quality of the games in the second X collection is pretty debatable.

Street Fighter wasn't on my radar since I hate - and I'm terrible at - fighting games. But I remember the pricing being questionable. 

It's €50 for what amounts to four different games in several different versions. Capcom be damned, they're infamous for how many iterations of a Street Fighter game they make and I'm not going to count the collection as containing twelve different games. It's four, and they're getring at most €20 from me for the collection, perhaps I'll even wait until it's less than that.

I'm not into fighting games as a rule but I'll make exceptions for Smash Bros. and for Street Fighter II Turbo.

Last night I made a very stupid move in Hollow Knight and lost about 4k geo because I wasn't paying attention. Damn. I'm still loving the game, but I am at the point now where I've explored 99% of the areas that I have access to (to add insult to injury, last night I found a treasure room that I couldn't reach with my previous abilities... and I lost all the geo in that room when I lost my "ghost geo" later on). I have 2 or 3 areas I can explore, but they all involve boss fights that are very challenging at my current ability/skill levels. I'll keep swinging away at it. 

Sounds a bit like how I play Banner Saga, making a choice, immediately regretting my choice and then seeing my last save was from multiple fights ago.

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I never played any Mega Man game other than the first X game (and had to be told recently that Mega Man X apparently is not Mega Man 10), but I've heard that the quality of the games in the second X collection is pretty debatable.

It's €50 for what amounts to four different games in several different versions. Capcom be damned, they're infamous for how many iterations of a Street Fighter game they make and I'm not going to count the collection as containing twelve different games. It's four, and they're getring at most €20 from me for the collection, perhaps I'll even wait until it's less than that.

I'm not into fighting games as a rule but I'll make exceptions for Smash Bros. and for Street Fighter II Turbo.

Sounds a bit like how I play Banner Saga, making a choice, immediately regretting my choice and then seeing my last save was from multiple fights ago.

I've heard the same thing about Mega Man X Collection 2, but if I like the first set, I figure I'll get it just to have the whole thing.

If you haven't figured out from your brief time with Hollow Knight, you can't go back to previous saves. Making a mistake where you lose money is permanent. That said, the game gives you 2 options for getting your money back (plus I think there are charms you can equip to help, but I'm not sure). Sadly, I screwed up my chance because I set the Switch down for a few seconds to grab a drink of water, and I forgot that I had to fight to get my money back... and I came back to see I had gotten killed, losing the money permanently. It was a dumb mistake I could have caught by just pausing the game.

Lots of people on my friend list with Mario Tennis Aces played for only a couple of hours, if not less. Seems like I'm not the only one with buyer's remorse. It seemed so mich more fun than it ended up being...

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I've heard the same thing about Mega Man X Collection 2, but if I like the first set, I figure I'll get it just to have the whole thing.

If you haven't figured out from your brief time with Hollow Knight, you can't go back to previous saves. Making a mistake where you lose money is permanent. That said, the game gives you 2 options for getting your money back (plus I think there are charms you can equip to help, but I'm not sure). Sadly, I screwed up my chance because I set the Switch down for a few seconds to grab a drink of water, and I forgot that I had to fight to get my money back... and I came back to see I had gotten killed, losing the money permanently. It was a dumb mistake I could have caught by just pausing the game.

Okay, I accept. Yours is much more stupid than mine. :D

Seriously, I'll never leave a game unpaused unless something's really urgent or distracting.

20 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Okay, I accept. Yours is much more stupid than mine. :D

Seriously, I'll never leave a game unpaused unless something's really urgent or distracting.

The thing is, I thought it was a cutscene moment. And it started out that way, but I wasn't paying attention to notice the change.

Spoiler

There is a person in the game that you can trade a Rancid Egg to, in order to avoid having to get back to your "dead ghost" to recover your geo after dying. I had only done this once before, and I had forgotten that he doesn't just give you your geo back... instead, he summons your ghost to where he is, which you kill and then recover your geo. I forgot about the fighting part, so I assumed he would finish up his summon animation and I would come back to find myself with my geo back. If I had been playing on the TV I would have seen my character getting stomped by my ghost, and had time to run back and recover before dying.

Thankfully I had reached a point in the game where I've bought all the upgrades that I am aware of, so losing geo (the currency in the game) is less annoying now. Still, I won't be making that mistake again...

I just unlocked the "completion percentage" status in Hollow Knight, and I am at 67%. I don't think I'll try hitting 100% - honestly I was expecting to finish the main story without getting as high as I already am.

Is anybody else getting Semblance? I I like that it's made by a small team from a part of the world that isn't cranking out tons of games. Also it looks cool and has a really neat gameplay hook. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks right up my alley as a puzzle-platformer. Also, it's dirt cheap! I grabbed it and Mega Max X Legacy Collection 1 yesterday.

Now I just need DrinkBox Studios to announces that Guacamelee 2 is coming to Switch. I loved the first game on Vita, and played it again on PS4, but that kind of game is just perfect as a portable experience. Now I'll have to decide whether to get it on PS4 in a few weeks, or wait for a likely Switch port, but who knows when.

I just saw my first Switch in the wild. On the train I took to get to work, some dude around my age was playing Mega Man X.

This is not a sitcom so we didn't start chatting together even though I was gaming on my Switch as well (Banner Saga), but it's fun to see a Switch player in the wild.

I've finished the first stage in Mega Man X. It's cool that you can only save at times the game would give you a passcode. Immediate save states lessen the experience in old games for me somehow, and I tend to ignore them, so this save system is pretty cool in my eyes.

18 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The thing is, I thought it was a cutscene moment. And it started out that way, but I wasn't paying attention to notice the change.

Reveal hidden contents

There is a person in the game that you can trade a Rancid Egg to, in order to avoid having to get back to your "dead ghost" to recover your geo after dying. I had only done this once before, and I had forgotten that he doesn't just give you your geo back... instead, he summons your ghost to where he is, which you kill and then recover your geo. I forgot about the fighting part, so I assumed he would finish up his summon animation and I would come back to find myself with my geo back. If I had been playing on the TV I would have seen my character getting stomped by my ghost, and had time to run back and recover before dying.

Thankfully I had reached a point in the game where I've bought all the upgrades that I am aware of, so losing geo (the currency in the game) is less annoying now. Still, I won't be making that mistake again...

If a game can't pause during a cutscene, I'll wait out the cutscene, pause then and only then leave the game alone. But that's me.

Is anybody else getting Semblance? I I like that it's made by a small team from a part of the world that isn't cranking out tons of games. Also it looks cool and has a really neat gameplay hook. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks right up my alley as a puzzle-platformer. Also, it's dirt cheap! I grabbed it and Mega Max X Legacy Collection 1 yesterday.

Puzzle-platformer, you say? Let me know if you like it. I don't know anything about it.

Now I just need DrinkBox Studios to announces that Guacamelee 2 is coming to Switch. I loved the first game on Vita, and played it again on PS4, but that kind of game is just perfect as a portable experience. Now I'll have to decide whether to get it on PS4 in a few weeks, or wait for a likely Switch port, but who knows when.

I thought Guacamelee 1 was fun. Don't know if I'd immediately buy a sequel, depends on my backlog I guess.

5 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I just saw my first Switch in the wild. On the train I took to get to work, some dude around my age was playing Mega Man X.

This is not a sitcom so we didn't start chatting together even though I was gaming on my Switch as well (Banner Saga), but it's fun to see a Switch player in the wild.

Nice, I've seen a few Switches in the wild, but not many since I used to ride a train (which was a longer ride and was more conducive to getting out laptops or portable game systems than the metro).

I've finished the first stage in Mega Man X. It's cool that you can only save at times the game would give you a passcode. Immediate save states lessen the experience in old games for me somehow, and I tend to ignore them, so this save system is pretty cool in my eyes.

Hmm, good thing they have the "easy mode" (I forget what it's called) for noobs like myself.

If a game can't pause during a cutscene, I'll wait out the cutscene, pause then and only then leave the game alone. But that's me.

You love kicking people while they're down, don't you? :P

Anyway, I walked about 10 feet to the kitchen for my water and the TV is viewable from the next room over. I do that all the time with games unpaused, especially during cutscenes. Multi-tasking is a must when you have toddlers. Unfortunately, I was playing handheld so the TV wasn't a factor this time. But as I said, the effect wasn't that bad because I had reached the point in the game where there wasn't anything left to buy that I had access to.

Side note, when I got into the Metal Gear Solid series, I played the remake of MGS1 on Gamecube, and then MGS2, 3, and 4 on PS3. I was annoyed that 2 and 3 didn't let you pause during the cutscenes (I don't think the MGS1 remake did either, but the effect felt worse as I played the rest of the series in close succession), which could get fairly long. I loved that MGS4 finally allowed pausing during cutscenes.

Puzzle-platformer, you say? Let me know if you like it. I don't know anything about it.

Yeah, Semblance is an indie game made by a small team from South Africa. It has a very creative gameplay hook, which involves changing the terrain to allow for higher jumps and such. It looks pretty cool but I haven't tried it yet. I'll start it now that I've finished Hollow Knight.

I thought Guacamelee 1 was fun. Don't know if I'd immediately buy a sequel, depends on my backlog I guess.

Guacamelee is one of my favorite Metroidvanias (I Platinumed it twice), and I loved the Mutant Blob games that the same developer made prior to that. Guac 2 is a must buy for me.

Also, I beat Hollow Knight at 67% (I mentioned that completion rate in my last post). It turns out I had saved right before the final boss. I'll do some checking online, into optional bosses and such. Also, the final DLC is coming in a few weeks. The only time I consulted a guide online was looking at an overview map of the various areas (which was just a light spoiler), and I also checked strategy tips on Reddit for one tough boss fight (which was not the final story boss, interestingly enough).

15 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hmm, good thing they have the "easy mode" (I forget what it's called) for noobs like myself.

"Rookie" mode, I think. I'm not using it so I don't know what it changes to the game.

You love kicking people while they're down, don't you? :P

Only when they deserve it. Just think of it like this: the more we discuss this, the bigger the chance that you'll think about pausing a game before you go do something else for a moment.

Anyway, I walked about 10 feet to the kitchen for my water and the TV is viewable from the next room over. I do that all the time with games unpaused, especially during cutscenes. Multi-tasking is a must when you have toddlers. Unfortunately, I was playing handheld so the TV wasn't a factor this time. But as I said, the effect wasn't that bad because I had reached the point in the game where there wasn't anything left to buy that I had access to.

Personally, I always pause, even if I think I'm back in a moment. On the Switch, I even return to the home menu, so my leaving doesn't count towards the playtime of the game.

Side note, when I got into the Metal Gear Solid series, I played the remake of MGS1 on Gamecube, and then MGS2, 3, and 4 on PS3. I was annoyed that 2 and 3 didn't let you pause during the cutscenes (I don't think the MGS1 remake did either, but the effect felt worse as I played the rest of the series in close succession), which could get fairly long. I loved that MGS4 finally allowed pausing during cutscenes.

Yeah I don't like it when there's no pausing in cutscenes. Alien Isolation wouldn't even allow pausing if you were making a screenshot.

Yeah, Semblance is an indie game made by a small team from South Africa. It has a very creative gameplay hook, which involves changing the terrain to allow for higher jumps and such. It looks pretty cool but I haven't tried it yet. I'll start it now that I've finished Hollow Knight.

I'll check out its eShop page. I'll probably not pirchase itright away unless it's very cool and cheap.

Guacamelee is one of my favorite Metroidvanias (I Platinumed it twice), and I loved the Mutant Blob games that the same developer made prior to that. Guac 2 is a must buy for me.

I'm not into MetroidVania games per se, but seem to enjoy more and more of them these days. Nontheless, I'll wait for more info.

Also, I beat Hollow Knight at 67% (I mentioned that completion rate in my last post). It turns out I had saved right before the final boss. I'll do some checking online, into optional bosses and such. Also, the final DLC is coming in a few weeks. The only time I consulted a guide online was looking at an overview map of the various areas (which was just a light spoiler), and I also checked strategy tips on Reddit for one tough boss fight (which was not the final story boss, interestingly enough).

I'll restart Hollow Knight after finishing the Banner Saga trilogy, I think. Perhaps I'll do some other stuff first if the final DLC is juat a few days away.

37 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Only when they deserve it. Just think of it like this: the more we discuss this, the bigger the chance that you'll think about pausing a game before you go do something else for a moment.

Personally, I always pause, even if I think I'm back in a moment. On the Switch, I even return to the home menu, so my leaving doesn't count towards the playtime of the game.

Yeah I don't like it when there's no pausing in cutscenes. Alien Isolation wouldn't even allow pausing if you were making a screenshot.

It's not likely that I'll change my pausing habits. Those 10 seconds of cutscene that I save by walking to grab a drink and come back, is 10 seconds sooner I get back to a playable part of the game, while still experiencing the cutscene at least peripherally (if it's not clear, I'm walking from my family room with TV over to the next-door kitchen, which is an open space with no walls in between). This was a bit different since I was playing in handheld mode, but if it wasn't clear, I thought the game was showing a cutscene I'd already seen before (which was correct). My mistake was in forgetting that the cutscene is followed by having to fight off the Spectre enemy immediately afterwards. It's the same principle as loading a savegame and grabbing a drink while the save loads, except for the combat right afterwards in HK's case.

I stopped caring about playtimes long ago, because most developers don't take the programming effort to calculate it accurately anyway. Pausing should always suspend the playtime counter, and it almost never does (there could be exceptions for games with maps and such, but pausing and changing Options shouldn't count towards playtime). I'm pretty sure there are PS4 games (maybe even all of them) where going to the Home Menu even counts against playtime. Forget that nonsense.

Anyway, I think that all games should have pause-able cutscenes. I remember a few PS3 games paused when pushing the Home Screen (which was just an overlay, not a different screen like on PS4, X1, and Switch), but a lot of them did not (including MGS2 and 3). Hollow Knight is interesting, because you can pause with the + button, but the game does not pause when looking at the map, inventory, or journal. I wonder if it pauses if you press Home without pushing + first. I've done it and found the game unpaused when I resume the game, but I don't know if it's unpaused in between.

47 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I'll check out its eShop page. I'll probably not pirchase itright away unless it's very cool and cheap.

I played a few minutes of it just now. It's very minimalistic in design, so the game doesn't do a lot of explaining. I have mixed feelings about that (I think it's a good choice for some games but not others), but I'll keep playing. The malleable platforming is pretty cool, but it is structured - not every part of the terrain can be changed. In the US, it's $9 right now (the "normal" price is $9.99), so it should be cheap for you too.

49 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I stopped caring about playtimes long ago, because most developers don't take the programming effort to calculate it accurately anyway. 

Don't really have anything to add to the other points so I'm just quoting this. I was talking about the playtime on your Switch game list; which just counts all the time spent having the game on. I like having that accurate, and occasionally my breaks in between playing a game can really make a dent in such a thing.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Also, I beat Hollow Knight at 67% (I mentioned that completion rate in my last post). It turns out I had saved right before the final boss. I'll do some checking online, into optional bosses and such.

I can't remember what my completed-ness was when I played Hollow Knight on the PC... but which final boss are you referring to?  Because there's a final-final boss (and different endings) that you can only get if you finish certain things.  Which I think requires a fair amount of the more obscure optional stuff to be complete (certain items to be obtained, etc).

I have a hard time remembering though, since I kinda accidentally stumbled into the final-final boss purely from seeking out as much optional stuff as possible in my playthrough. xD  Which is a rare thing for me.  Some of the optional stuff was pretty awesome IMO, not as much of a grind as other games tend to make it.  But I'm also pretty biased.

Edited by Dreakon13

26 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Don't really have anything to add to the other points so I'm just quoting this. I was talking about the playtime on your Switch game list; which just counts all the time spent having the game on. I like having that accurate, and occasionally my breaks in between playing a game can really make a dent in such a thing.

Fair point, but what's the point of that Switch playtime being accurate? It's not finely-detailed enough for me to care. If it ever starts reporting actual hours (i.e. get rid of the "about" and "greater than", etc.), instead of the weird thresholds that I don't understand, I might be more interested. And I'm not just trying to be snarky here... I genuinely do find it frustrating that it reports playtime in strange ways. It doesn't truly bother me, but because it's so strange, I just ignore it for the most part.

Anyway, it was probably obvious, but I was originally talking about gameplay hours reported by games themselves - for example Hollow Knight. Those times are always greatly inflated for me because they don't stop the gameplay timer when paused. I really don't understand that logic of the developers - if you bother to code in a gameplay length estimate, why not take the small extra effort needed to pause and resume the timer when the game is paused and unpaused? It seems like nobody actually cares about this.

20 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I can't remember what my completed-ness was when I played Hollow Knight on the PC... but which final boss are you referring to?  Because there's a final-final boss (and different endings) that you can only get if you finish certain things.  Which I think requires a fair amount of the more obscure optional stuff to be complete (certain items to be obtained, etc).

I have a hard time remembering though, since I kinda accidentally stumbled into the final-final boss purely from seeking out as much optional stuff as possible in my playthrough. xD  Which is a rare thing for me.  Some of the optional stuff was pretty awesome IMO, not as much of a grind as other games tend to make it.  But I'm also pretty biased.

I don't want to spoil this for other players, so I'll use spoiler tags.

Spoiler

I'm referring to The Hollow Knight as the final boss, since that triggers the end cutscene and credits. According to this page, I got the first ending.

As for optional stuff, I would need to compare to a walkthrough guide to tell you what I haven't done. I know there is an additional nail upgrade that I didn't get, because I only have 1 out of the 3 Pale Ore needed for that upgrade. I don't know where those other 2 Pale Ore are, and even with a guide it would be tough since I didn't use map markers to indicate where I got the ones I've already collected. When I found tips for fighting the Watcher Knights (that was a tough fight for me, much tougher than The Hollow Knight), I saw people mentioning focus powers and charms that I don't have. I am sure there are mask and focus upgrades I don't have.

I bought all the charms from the vendors I've discovered, but I have several missing spots for additional ones.

I explored the map pretty thoroughly. I'm sure there are secrets I haven't uncovered, but there are no visible transitions I have not explored. There are 2 or 3 "open" areas that are not fully mapped, such as Howling Cliffs, but exploring those areas have only led to dead ends. I don't have the achievement for Buying all Maps from Cornifer, so obviously I haven't found an area or two.

I don't have the ability to get through the "black energy" pillar barriers either.

I haven't fought any of the Dream enemies in the Spirit Glade, and there is one enemy I marked that I haven't fought in another part of the map. Pretty sure that was a dream enemy that will just give me dream orbs (or whatever they're called) though. I know I have at least one more dream orb upgrade for 1200 of them.

Maybe I should consult a detailed walkthrough and do some of the optional content. I don't even know how much of the DLC I have experienced (besides the map markers of course).

15 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Fair point, but what's the point of that Switch playtime being accurate? It's not finely-detailed enough for me to care. If it ever starts reporting actual hours (i.e. get rid of the "about" and "greater than", etc.), instead of the weird thresholds that I don't understand, I might be more interested.

It's there, I don't want it to be inaccurate. Just like I go out of my book in my e-reader if I get distracted by something, so my reading time remains accurate. Yeah showing the time in segments of five hours is a stupid choice, but they have the correct time somewhere so if they ever go to an hourly format my times are still correct.

And honestly, with games like Stardew Valley on 65-70 hours, it's less important to know the exact playtime.

I'd love to see a top five for each person on my friend list (and for myself) though to see the five games with the longest playtime. I've got Stardew Valley and Breath Of The Wild at 65-70, then Mario + Rabbids at either 20-25 or 25-30, Mario Kart at 15-20, after that I don't know. Think I've got a fair few games on 10-15 but I don't think any games except the four I've mentioned go beyond 15.

Oh wait... Pic-a-Pix Deluxe and Picross S both have many hours into them.

Here's today's purchases (also bought Bleed and Slain yesterday on the toilet)

done.png

Thing is, after all that I STILL have too much credit on the account and can't add the rest of my eShop gift cards yet from the Fortnite deal. I swear in the last month I've actually MADE a good half a grand from that EB promotion. Must have done it at least 20 times now.

Also I got a new Joy-Con yesterday, had to drive nearly an hour to get the closest store with a new one in stock (36 bucks) but then traded my dead one in for 22, and then the 15 buck bonus eShop code with the Fortnite deal so I actually made a dollar on getting a new remote, so I'm not too fussed tbh.

But with like today's purchases, some are just no fucking brainers. So I'm sure since you all care, you remember my N3DSXL up and vanished a while back and I replaced it with a 2DS? Well, Revelations obviously isn't anywhere near as good without the C stick so here's the dealie, I took it to EB, they gave me 6 bucks (plus 20%, so 7.20) and then the 15 buck Fortnite cred kicked it up to 22.20, meaning AFTER buying the shiny new Switch version I gained 7.20. Considering I only paid 5 bucks for it around 2 years ago, I did alright there, that's over 15 straight profit.

3 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I'd love to see a top five for each person on my friend list (and for myself) though to see the five games with the longest playtime. I've got Stardew Valley and Breath Of The Wild at 65-70, then Mario + Rabbids at either 20-25 or 25-30, Mario Kart at 15-20, after that I don't know. Think I've got a fair few games on 10-15 but I don't think any games except the four I've mentioned go beyond 15.

Me: Fortnite - 95 hours, definitely gonna hit 100 tonight, booked in to do some duos in the returning playground mode with a mate. 

NBA Playgrounds - 40 hours, though it got wiped, but I remember.

Breath of the Wild - 20 hours.

Doom - 15 or 20 hours

There's a couple things like LA Noire that are 10 or 15 but other than that, the rest are all 5 or under. Even Wolf 2 took me only about 6 or 7 hours to clock and the Switch just says 5 until I hit 10, so.

By the way, I finished Banner Saga. Here's where blocks of five hours is stupid, because I'm close to ten hours on that one, not just over five. And I've got more smaller games that took me between 5 and 10 hours to finish.

Really enjoyed Banner Saga and I've bought the second and third game. Story ended really strong, about halfway through the game it really started pulling me in. That was about the time when they really started getting into the background of the setting.

I'd recommend Banner Saga to anyone who's into this kind of medieval slash mythological story, and doesn't outright hate tactical RPG gameplay.

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy let me know what you think of Chromagun. I'm semi interested but not willing to make the leap.

And I've got L.A. Noire at 10-15 too but I was in Homicide when I decided to restart and play without any hints on, and after that I'll get the game to 100%, so it'll end up at 30 or thereabouts I guess.

Hope it's okay to interrupt your talks as I have some questions:

- Is there a possibility to see all games in the eShop and browse them either from A-Z, or filter them by publisher/developer and/or genre? I found a way to browse the games from A-Z on the Nintendo-site, but not on the Switch itself

- Is there a possibility to see a changelog so you get to know what was updated with a patch/update for a game? And is there a way to see the download progress? 

- Any possibility to mute the button sounds while navigating through the system menu?

Overall I enjoyed the few hours I spend so far but these things are annoying me a bit. :|

3 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy let me know what you think of Chromagun. I'm semi interested but not willing to make the leap.

Can already tell you, I played the demo a while back before it was mysteriously delisted, wish I archived it rather than deleted it but whatever. 

In the demo, and AFAIK the whole game really, you have to solve puzzles by playing Splatoon. Nah but you have this gun that shoots colored ink right, and there's a good three or four different colors (again I'm talking the demo only, the game may have more, it may be the same, I don't know, will get back to you), and you know in [insert game here] when you have to follow the lines to the end and hit the switch or whatever? Think Breath of the Wild when you put the balls into the things in the shrines or Watch Dogs when you had to hack the thing and follow it's path, etc. So in the demo there were doors and shit you had to get through and you would do that by luring the enemies into the trigger zone or whatever (been a while) and you'd do that by painting.

So the enemies are these flying drone things kinda like what Luke trained with in Ep IV, you can shoot them and turn them into the color you choose. If you shoot a wall or door or mechanism or [insert whatever else here] and they are the same color and nearby, they will become tethered to it. You use this to make them unlock the doors and stuff. I'm not explaining it very well, but it's much more intuitive than I'm making it sound.

Thing is, you can't quote unquote undo your mistakes. Say you shoot something yellow and you need it orange, shoot a blue on there and you're fucked. But if you shoot a red on there it will mix into orange and whatnot. Again, I am not doing it justice. But basically it's all about colors being the way you make your way through the game, ignore me, I'm butchering it. Check out some gameplay and I think you'll understand a LOT better than I'm putting it out as. 

Definitely a fun and relatively unique puzzle game, obvious Portal vibes were obvious though, but not unwelcome.

3 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

And I've got L.A. Noire at 10-15 too but I was in Homicide when I decided to restart and play without any hints on, and after that I'll get the game to 100%, so it'll end up at 30 or thereabouts I guess.

I fully intend to eventually finish it but I'm still probs only two thirds of the way through it at most. Do enjoy the game, just have too many damn other games to play as well. I'm gonna start trying to focus (yet again) on one game at a time. Worked great with Crash and Wolf 2 recently, finally finished the trilogy and Wolf 2 turned out to be an absolute delight. Loved every second. 

Also shoutout to Wolf 2 on Switch, I'm not saying they topped Doom, but they definitely matched it.

It's there, I don't want it to be inaccurate. Just like I go out of my book in my e-reader if I get distracted by something, so my reading time remains accurate. Yeah showing the time in segments of five hours is a stupid choice, but they have the correct time somewhere so if they ever go to an hourly format my times are still correct.

And honestly, with games like Stardew Valley on 65-70 hours, it's less important to know the exact playtime.

Oh wait... Pic-a-Pix Deluxe and Picross S both have many hours into them.

Fair enough. Between the segments of time bugging me, and none of the other consoles reporting played time, I just don't care about the feature. Also, I'm still not convinced that the time is paused when you go to the Home Menu. Have you actually tested that thoroughly? You'd have to be on the home menu for enough time to make the time bump up to the next 5-hour increment to really know for sure, and most people don't spend that much time paused (although I certainly do - but not in one sitting).

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

- Is there a possibility to see all games in the eShop and browse them either from A-Z, or filter them by publisher/developer and/or genre? I found a way to browse the games from A-Z on the Nintendo-site, but not on the Switch itself

- Is there a possibility to see a changelog so you get to know what was updated with a patch/update for a game? And is there a way to see the download progress? 

- Any possibility to mute the button sounds while navigating through the system menu?

Overall I enjoyed the few hours I spend so far but these things are annoying me a bit. :|

1. Not sure, sorry.

2. Nope. I remember PS3 had a couple of patches that showed changelogs, but it was like 1% of my games. Then Vita and PS4 made it mandatory as far as I can tell (although they don't require developers to use HELPFUL patch notes - sometimes it's just "see website for details"). But Switch is like Xbox One - no patch notes anywhere. I boot up my Xbox One every month or so to download patches and such (no, I don't know why I do this either), and almost every time it patches most if not all of my Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible games, and I have no idea what it's doing, and why those games are still getting patched (I'm guessing they are patches to improve the BC). Without notes, I have no idea what any of them actually are. Come on Microsoft and Nintendo, it's 2018. Sony and Steam have been doing this for years!

3. I don't think so, but could be wrong.

I liked the demo, I think I'll jump on the sale price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Extra note: only the most recent games you've played (the ones still on your home menu) get auto-updates.

Also, if you use the parental app you can set the allowed playtime to zero minutes per day which ensures that nobody can play your games unless they know your passcode.

Things I want to add to the answers from @MosesRockefeller:

- if you go to search in the eShop, you can search with filters. This includes a basic price filter (under 10, 10-30, over 30) and a genre filter. You can't sort alphabetically. If you know a game from the publisher you want to search for, search for that game and open it. Click up, and you'll highlight the publisher - pressing A results in a list of all other games of that publisher.

- download progress is shown by the white line at the bottom of the game's icon, selecting the game while it's downloading shows expanded progress stats (and if it's a patch your downloading and not the base game, you can opt to start the game without the download being ready).

Only thing that annoys me is that there's no option for maps on the home page. I just want to sort my games in backlog and played through, wothout having to delete games...

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Can already tell you, (...)

Definitely a fun and relatively unique puzzle game, obvious Portal vibes were obvious though, but not unwelcome.

I fully intend to eventually finish it but I'm still probs only two thirds of the way through it at most. Do enjoy the game, just have too many damn other games to play as well. I'm gonna start trying to focus (yet again) on one game at a time. Worked great with Crash and Wolf 2 recently, finally finished the trilogy and Wolf 2 turned out to be an absolute delight. Loved every second. 

Also shoutout to Wolf 2 on Switch, I'm not saying they topped Doom, but they definitely matched it.

I know what the game's about, just wanted an opinion on quality :)

I think I'll skip it this time and focus on other stuff.

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I liked the demo, I think I'll jump on the sale price

I'm skipping it this time, I've got enough of a backlog right now and there's more coming up.

8 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Fair enough. Between the segments of time bugging me, and none of the other consoles reporting played time, I just don't care about the feature. Also, I'm still not convinced that the time is paused when you go to the Home Menu. Have you actually tested that thoroughly? You'd have to be on the home menu for enough time to make the time bump up to the next 5-hour increment to really know for sure, and most people don't spend that much time paused (although I certainly do - but not in one sitting).

Games under five hours played go up with every hour, so pick a "played for a while" game for yourself, turn it on and switch to the home menu, then wait for a couple of hours. I'm pretty certain home menu stops the clock, and I'm absolutely certain sleep mode stops the clock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Games under five hours played go up with every hour, so pick a "played for a while" game for yourself, turn it on and switch to the home menu, then wait for a couple of hours. I'm pretty certain home menu stops the clock, and I'm absolutely certain sleep mode stops the clock.

If it does, that's an improvement over the PS4, which never stops the clock (maybe sleep mode, but I've never left a game running on sleep mode). I'll try it out.

I just saw that Picross S2 is releasing next week. I didn't finish all the Mega puzzles in S (to be honest I dislike the Mega mode and it seems hard just to be mean), but I more than got my money's worth all the same. I'll definitely be grabbing the sequel.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

none of the other consoles reporting played time

Forgot to comment on this in the end but thought about it before writing my previous post: doesn't X1 mention playing time? I don't have one but I recall an achievement site being able to tell X1 game playtimes, and they must get the info from somewhere...

If it does, that's an improvement over the PS4, which never stops the clock (maybe sleep mode, but I've never left a game running on sleep mode). I'll try it out.

Where does PS4 habe a timer?

I've had Banner Saga on in sleep mode a few times because of its irregular saving intervals, and my short playtimes on workdays (about half an hour in the train to work, about half an hour during lunch break, and again in the train back from work). So if sleep mode counted, I would definitely have gone over 10 hours on Banner Saga.

Actually, only time I use sleep mode is 1) if it's docked, 2) if it's charging, or 3) if I'm playing a game I don't want to quit and restart on, and those first two are more because it's a hassle having it off so having a game on is my main reason for keeping the Switch in sleep mode instead of just turning it off. Why would you put it on sleep mode if you don't have a game on?

I just saw that Picross S2 is releasing next week. I didn't finish all the Mega puzzles in S (to be honest I dislike the Mega mode and it seems hard just to be mean), but I more than got my money's worth all the same. I'll definitely be grabbing the sequel.

I saw it too but its text confuses me. Is it a whole new game, or is it one new mode combined with all the puzzles from the last game?