RIP Hitman

Sinthoras_96

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15623302/square-enix-drops-hitman-developer-io-interactive

Square Enix sells the Hitman developer IO Interactive and puts the Hitman series on ice. 

This is a huge shame. 

Deus Ex -> Won't be continued for the next couple of years

Hitman -> Probably won't be continued at all. 

What's next?  It's such a shame,  that these kind of Singleplayer only exploration / stealth / saindbox  games don't sell well anymore. I really love them.

I also heard that Dishonored 2 was a flop and it seems like the new Prey game doesn't sell that well either. Let's hope that Bethesda won't shut down / sell Arkane Studios. They are pretty much the only team left now, that still does these kind of games with a triple A budget ...

• 1 year later...

Well, this topic certainly turned into a bunch of doom thinking that thankfully never became real.

IO Interactive did a complete buyout, they managed to hold on to the Hitman license, and Hitman 2 is planned for release less than three months from now.

Joy to the world!

On 12/05/2017 at 4:53 AM, Shadiochao said:

Well I was waiting for all of Hitman's DLC to be released before I started playing and I heard they had wanted at least two more seasons, so I suppose that's worked out pretty nicely for me

Hitman now has a complete edition, with all trophy DLCs and two non-trophy campaigns (one of which is exclusive for PS4).

Also, Hitman 2 will not be episodic, just one full game (six settings, just like this game) with two additional DLC stories/missions. So it may be more to your liking in terms of buying it closer to release.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Well, this topic certainly turned into a bunch of doom thinking that thankfully never became real.

IO Interactive did a complete buyout, they managed to hold on to the Hitman license, and Hitman 2 is planned for release less than three months from now.

Joy to the world!

Hitman now has a complete edition, with all trophy DLCs and two non-trophy campaigns (one of which is exclusive for PS4).

Also, Hitman 2 will not be episodic, just one full game (six settings, just like this game) with two additional DLC stories/missions. So it may be more to your liking in terms of buying it closer to release.

Have you even read when the last post was? ?

1 hour ago, ZireaelSan said:

Have you even read when the last post was? 1f602.png

Yes.

Longer answer: yes, my first line.

1 hour ago, Ash Williams said:

I was checking my trophies for this game (going for the 100% in preparation for the sequel), went to the full forum threads list to see if there's a "game thoughts" thread, and saw RIP HITMAN so naturally I checked it out, and decided to bring the good news in case the people who posted earlier hadn't heard it yet :)

35 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Yes.

Longer answer: yes, my first line.

I was checking my trophies for this game (going for the 100% in preparation for the sequel), went to the full forum threads list to see if there's a "game thoughts" thread, and saw RIP HITMAN so naturally I checked it out, and decided to bring the good news in case the people who posted earlier hadn't heard it yet :)

Hmh well seeing the new hitman has no page yet, fair point!

Looking forward to it and no episodic feature... yeay!

4 minutes ago, ZireaelSan said:

Hmh well seeing the new hitman has no page yet, fair point!

Looking forward to it and no episodic feature... yeay!

Have to admit, I didn't pay for this game until it had the complete edition with everything released. Now that I've enjoyed the first game, I wouldn't have had any problems with another episodic game, but not being episodic probably works in the game's best interest. All gamers are happy with an up-front completed game, trophy hunters (of which I am not one) are happy with a platinum, collectors (of which I am one) are happy that that expensive collector's edition they're buying actually comes with a complete game (which also counts for people who just buy the game, but while an episodic game can always be bought later upon completion, you'll usually have to be there day one for collector's editions).

• 8 months later...

Can tell that this is quite logical end of the story and telling this playing Hitman right now. I mean there is so huge difference between what I remember Hitman was and what it turned to be right now. Don't understand how this design should attract players, when to have fun in game you actually need to complete strict instruction first, followed with typical grind. Back in the day, the player decided how and what opportunities to make for the target, and has had very big arsenal right from the start. What ever IO planed to develop, they actually made very tedious, empty for action and improvisation acts, linear crap:).

On 06/05/2019 at 8:57 PM, Bloodytears1666 said:

Can tell that this is quite logical end of the story and telling this playing Hitman right now. I mean there is so huge difference between what I remember Hitman was and what it turned to be right now. Don't understand how this design should attract players, when to have fun in game you actually need to complete strict instruction first, followed with typical grind. Back in the day, the player decided how and what opportunities to make for the target, and has had very big arsenal right from the start. What ever IO planed to develop, they actually made very tedious, empty for action and improvisation acts, linear crap:).

Hitman 2013 is my first Hitman. I can see what you mean. BUT after a little time, you will have big arsenal with hands when starting a mission and you will have a lot of ways to complete a mission (following opportunities, around 6-8 on each map, or not, it is up to you, you are not forced to follow instructions: in general players only do that to get quickly the trophies). Also you have to think of the game with main missions but also the contracts, the escalation modes and the elusive targets. Putting all that together, the player can really take different approchs. My conclusion is I feel your opinion is a bit rigorous and unfair with regards to what the developers have done, in particular with the level-design (Sapienza, Paris, for instance). So play more and tell us if you have still the same opinion after. 

2 hours ago, djippps said:

Hitman 2013 is my first Hitman. I can see what you mean. BUT after a little time, you will have big arsenal with hands when starting a mission and you will have a lot of ways to complete a mission (following opportunities, around 6-8 on each map, or not, it is up to you, you are not forced to follow instructions: in general players only do that to get quickly the trophies). Also you have to think of the game with main missions but also the contracts, the escalation modes and the elusive targets. Putting all that together, the player can really take different approchs. My conclusion is I feel your opinion is a bit rigorous and unfair with regards to what the developers have done, in particular with the level-design (Sapienza, Paris, for instance). So play more and tell us if you have still the same opinion after. 

Well, I have my fun anyway, just still frustrated that I have to do a lot of in my opinion boring and tedious stuff to start my own game. Those opportunities not only for trophies, but also for a better gear, since they greatly affect score and this nonsense - level mastery. Plus about what you said, as long as I know elusive targets no more available? Game says that I missed them from the start.

Anyway glad that Silent Assassin challenge hasn't disappeared anywhere - the best part of this game and it's core for me. Gonna try out professional difficulty too. To add my first ever impression of Hitman was that I entered, completely silently and in signature suit, into Italian mansion, waited for a target get face to face alone in a room, threw flowers bouquet into his face and killed him with straight headshot, no opportunities needed, the fun has been gained and this has been more than 15 years ago!

2 hours ago, Hayabusa85 said:

This is a two year old thread that got randomly bumped.  Hitman and IO are still alive.

Nothing holds up to simply discuss the game here, either elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 12/05/2017 at 2:33 AM, Sinthoras_96 said:

Square Enix sells the Hitman developer IO Interactive and puts the Hitman series on ice. This is a huge shame. 

Deus Ex -> Won't be continued for the next couple of years

Hitman -> Probably won't be continued at all. 

What's next?  It's such a shame,  that these kind of Singleplayer only exploration / stealth / saindbox  games don't sell well anymore. I really love them.

Looking back at this, a lot has changed since this post.

IO Interactive's doing this alone proved to be success with Hitman III concluding the World of Assassination TrilogyIO Interactive grew even further to be one of the best game developers out there. Autopopping trophies for H2 to H3 and from PS4 to PS5... Cross-buy DLCs... generous game save mechanics... etc.  It was a blessing in disguise that Square Enix had let them go.

The same can be said with Deus Ex. Square Enix sold Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics in what the new owners - Embracer Group dubbed it  THE STEAL OF THE CENTURY.  This is a mistake on SE to let them go in my opinion.  I think the board of investors at SE are old old men who want to cash in quickly so they can enjoy their retirement.  They only sold them for $300M, not at lot for studios that did Tomb Raider, Deus Ex etc.

"Hitman probably won't be continued at all." This notion did not aged well but turned out to be better in the end.

So what is next for Square Enix? Apparently cloud services and block-chain technolgy... they have given up on games! 

Edited by Eispan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Eispan said:

Looking back at this, a lot has changed since this post.

IO Interactive's doing this alone proved to be success with Hitman III concluding the World of Assassination TrilogyIO Interactive grew even further to be one of the best game developers out there. Autopopping trophies for H2 to H3 and from PS4 to PS5... Cross-buy DLCs... generous game save mechanics... etc.  It was a blessing in disguise that Square Enix had let them go.

The same can be said with Deus Ex. Square Enix sold Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics in what the new owners call the GREAT STEAL of the century.  This is a mistake in my opinion.  I think the board of investors at SE are old old men who want to cash in quickly so they can enjoy their retirement.  They only sold them for $300M, not at lot for studios that did Tomb Raider, Deus Ex etc.

"Hitman probably won't be continued at all." This notion did not age well. LOL.

So what is next for Square Enix? Apparently cloud services and block-chain technolgy... they have given up on games! 

Weoo, when I created this Thread, it wasn't clear that IO was keeping the Hitman IP. It looked like Square would just keep it it and sit on it without doing anything. 

Definitely nice to see, how everything turned out. Really looking forward to new Deus Ex and Tomb Raider games too. 

• Like 2