Fall 2017 Backlog Challenge

Mission 100%: Fall 2017 Backlog Challenge

Special thanks to damon8r351 for originally hosting the challenge.

If you're like me, you've got an insanely large backlog and have no good reason you keep putting it off and watching it grow. Why not do something about it? Like previous backlog challenges, this event is a challenge to the community to select between 5 and 15 games from your backlog and complete them to 100% starting 00:01 AM EST September 1 and ending at 23:59 US EST on November 30. If you complete the maximum of 15 before the end of the challenge, you can add up to 5 more games for a total of 20.

Now, here are the details and rules. 

• Event Philosophy: This is a firm commitment to complete the games you say you will within the time limit, so choose games you know you can finish, and select a manageable number. The minimum for the event is 5 games, and the maximum is 15. If you finish 15 games before November 30, you can add up to five more. Otherwise, you're limited to 15. Once the event begins, the list is locked in. You can change your games as much as you want until 23:59 EST on August 31. If you want to add more games to your list or want to continue after finishing your list, you can add games to your list up to a maximum of 15. The object is not to just earn the platinum as applicable, but to reach 100% trophy completion for it. DLC is included and you will have to complete any new DLC that's released during the challenge. If you don't like DLC, don't put a game with it on your list. You can start late if you want, but you will be committed to whatever you put on your list. 
  • Eligible Games: Any game with trophies are eligible for the event, with a few exceptions. One game can have a completion percentage of up to 25%, but the rest must be 20% or under. Unplayed games and 0% games are fine as long as they're part of your backlog. Due to the heavy amount of releases in the fall, anything that releases before and during the challenge is fair game. Standalone DLC (like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy) is acceptable as long as it's not part of another trophy list. If it is (Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare for example), you have to also complete the other trophies. You can also do a game where 100% is unobtainable if you feel strongly about it, but you must complete all obtainable trophies. Individual episodes of a game that has separate trophy lists, such as in early Telltale games or Broken Sword on the Vita, count as a single game; therefore, Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse counts as 1 game, not 5. For this event, you may complete a game you have previously done for a different platform or region before the start of this event, but you may not do the same game multiple times during this event. Cross-saving a game for an easy completion will also be ineligible.
  • Eligible Participants: Anyone is eligible to participate, provided you are serious about completing the games you say will. However, if you have flagged games on your PSNProfile, you are banned from participating unless you hide the games, get unflagged, or use a different profile. No cheating!

Participants:

Edited by Chansey
  • Like 4

I made a video about my list. ^_^

In case you don't want to watch that, here is my dedicated list:

1. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (1.5+2.5)
  2. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (1.5+2.5)
  3. Sly 3: Honor among Thieves (Vita)
  4. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (Vita)
  5. World of Final Fantasy (PS4)

All of these are untouched except the last one, which only has a completion of 14%.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MidnightCJ said:

I made a video about my list. ^_^

In case you don't want to watch that, here is my dedicated list:

1. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (1.5+2.5)
  2. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix (1.5+2.5)
  3. Sly 3: Honor among Thieves (Vita)
  4. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (Vita)
  5. World of Final Fantasy (PS4)

All of these are untouched except the last one, which only has a completion of 14%.

Very nice! Giving you points for creativity! Added. Are the Kingdom Hearts games on PS3 or PS4? Just curious.

Edited by Geodude

32 minutes ago, Geodude said:

Very nice! Giving you points for creativity! Added. Are the Kingdom Hearts games on PS3 or PS4? Just curious.

I stated (1.5+2.5) so they are part of the full collection on PS4. I don't think I could survive the PS3 remixes even if I got a PS3 back because 1.5 Remix was a bit too difficult due to the multiple plays you need to do to get all the trophies.

OK, this might be a REALLY daft thing to try and do for me I'm sure... but let's throw myself in the Deep End here.

I'm going to try and finish the following 5 games:

Final Fantasy X HD (Vita) - Currently playing this, and at 10% complete so consider that my game that's allowed to be at 25%... (I'll even stop playing if I get close to 25% before the start of the backlog challenge).

Remember Me (PS3) - Had this one on my shelf for so long and never actually got around to it, played it for all of 1 hour on a friends console. Definitely going to be a challenge as some of the trophies look quite skill based.

Alice: Madness Returns (PS3) - Had this one at 34% on my old account years ago, but not played it in over 2 years and it's one of my favourite games. It deserves me going for the platinum trophy, especially as it's never even been played on this account so I'll have to start from scratch.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Remastered (PS4) - Got this one at 20% exactly, so it's ready and primed for me to finish this as part of the backlog challenge, and as the PS4 version has no online trophies I should be able to platinum it.

Oceanhorn: Monster Of Uncharted Seas (Vita) - Was really lucky to get a copy of this from Limited Run, with them selling out in only 3 minutes. I think I owe it to all the people who missed out to make sure this game is played fully. So I'm adding it to the list.

As I currently don't have any Platinum Trophies at all; (though I'm hoping to have the 'InFamous' one before the end of the month), I'm going to stick to only 5 games. I've got a JRPG, two third person action/brawler games, a third person shooter, and an isometric adventure game... so a good mix I think. Cool challenge, it'll be nice to take part and maybe with a bit of luck, by the end of November I'll have 6 platinums; 'InFamous' and these 5...

Ok I am keen for another go, but after a dismal showing last event with 2/20 I will be a little more practical in my choices ? Due to it not starting till September I am just going to list some of my choices now if thats ok and then add as it gets closer.

PS4

Final Fantasy XV (JP stack)  (300th Plat ?)

Nier Automata 

Everbody's Golf

PS3

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters 

Vita

IA/VT Colorful

VR

Robinson The Journey 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BurnedChipmunk said:

Oceanhorn: Monster Of Uncharted Seas (Vita) - Was really lucky to get a copy of this from Limited Run, with them selling out in only 3 minutes. I think I owe it to all the people who missed out to make sure this game is played fully. So I'm adding it to the list.

Good luck on that. I think you will enjoy it... except the fishing. Gawd, the fishing trophy was a pain with those last two fish. ?

For everyone wondering on my list, let me explain why I chose what I did:

• Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix: I saw a video on Youtube of Bl00dyBizkit(a famous Kingdom Hearts II speedrunner) earning the platinum trophy in under 16 hours. I thought "if a famous speedrunner can speedrun the platinum journey in under 18 hours, surely I can get the platinum and beat the insane bosses in under 3 months." I have actually gotten Level Master for this game on an older account so it's not the grind that bothers me, it's the three Crown achievements(Mushroom XII will be frustrating, I'll die infinite times against the Data Org - although I did defeat Data Xaldin and Zexion on Begineer) and Lingering Will... oh boy...) Everything else is really easy.
  • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix: Since I am platinuming the sequel and now I am playing on the PS4 collection which fixed a few trophies, I decided to just go for it so I could be consistent and say I got the platinums for Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II before Kingdom Hearts III shows up.  The Sephiroth fight is going to be the worst, and I don't relish Unknown but whatever.
  • Honor Among Thieves / Thieves in Time: To be honest, I hate these games. Not because they are bad games, but because getting platinums in these is a pain in the @$$. Sly 3 has the dreaded Master Thief Challenges and I had to watch certain boss gloating multiple times because I wasn't gud enough to beat them. Thieves in Time has the 8-Bit Bentley which is very terrfiying. However, to be fair to the Sly series, I intend to plat them and show I am not scared of them. I platted both before, I can do it again. At least the Vita versions are a lot easier to stomach.
  • World of Final Fantasy: This is not too bad. The only problem is the grinding. I stopped playing at Watchfields and have yet to go back to it. This is unforgivable as my very first trophy on this account was from this game. I owe it to get the platinum in it and it's easy to grind out levels once you unlock certain areas. If I do the grind every day for two months I should be able to get Reynn and Lann to Level 99 and master a few Mirage grids so I can breeze through the tougher boss fights.
Edited by MidnightCJ

I start as well - and while I'm playing down my list I complete games with completions >50% outside this challenge. And there's also the possibility to expand the list here, so... I hope I get plenty of time to play ;) Anyway, here's my first list with 9 games:

• LEGO The Lord of the Rings (PS3): It's one of those games where you can breeze your way to the plat once the story's over. Have that currently at 16% completion and I honestly don't think this gme shouldn't be a problem.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3): Since I've played theis game (along with R&C1 and Up Your Arsenal) I never had the chance to beat them. Now - with trophies - I finally get my chance to get it over with! Also stuck at 16% and when this game is completed, I might move in the first game and this on Vita as well. And all this stuff with collecting stuff or getting certain Skill Points isn't really a problem.
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2: The Final Fantasy series ranges along my personal favorites with other big names like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed and Ratchet & Clank. So, getting this game done (I own a strategy guide; is it legal to use them?) would add another big series to the completed game collection. I plan to complete Lightning Returns: FFXIII outside this challenge, since it's waaaaay over the 25% mark! I've got a bigger portion to do here, since this game has a completion of only 8%.
  • Diablo III (PS3): RPG's are just my genre of games. That's why I add this great game as well! Since I know the story quite well (have platted Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls since March this year) this is just a completion candidate to get some more space on PS3 and in my game collection. And here's also the only game one can have with a maximum of 25% completion, since this game is for me at 21% and it also seems like this has the easier list of both of the Diablo games on PlayStation.
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (PS3): Since this challenge also targets games that haven't been played yet, I add this LEGO game as well. The 4 DLC's this game has shouldn't be a problem as well, as I wait for this stuff to be on sale and saving money while obtaining them. This should make my 2nd backlog (I divide the pile of games into a backlog with already started games and one with fresh stuff) get at least a bit smaller.
  • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS3): Disney meets Final Fantasy - this concept fascinated me on PS2 as well, but never got the chance to beat this game. And I honestly don't see anything that should stop me from getting this game done - only thing I fear is a big grind... Have that game started but it's stuck on 0% since then.
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories (PS3): I must admit that I never played the original game on the good-old Gameboy Advance, but since it's part of the KH 1.5 HD Remix on PS3, I got to have this game as well. Battling monsters with cards is quite the funny concept and this (along with KH Final Mix) are the gold pieces that I save for the time when the other games on this list are completed. It's standing at 3% and with a good planning stage, the completion of the whole KH HD 1.5 Remix could be done.
  • MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death: A dungeon crawler, huh? One hell of a grind, if you ask me, but since it's on Vita, I can play every time and everywhere. So, getting this thing over with takes one big grind out of my backlog. Although I only own a 16GB mem card, I should make room by completing some games beforehanded. This is stuck at 4% and getting that over with could cause some headaches for me... Ouch!
  • Final Fantasy X HD (PS3/Vita): The very first Final Fantasy game I ever played. On PS2 I got to the desert but never really past it. Now I get a 2nd chance on PS3 and Vita since cross-save helps me to play on both platforms - trophies can be obtained on either of them and since they're both linked with the same PSN ID I shouldn't be getting any problems here, right? This game stands at 9% and the Eternal Calm bonus is already done - I own a strategy guide for this game as well!

I already lampshaded that question but here it is again in full: If one owns a (online or print doesn't matter) strategy guide for a game, is it legal to use them in this challenge? And this challenge starts calculated after US time zones - when is it starting e. g. in Germany? Since I'm from there, that would be good to know. And let us all rain these trophies down like the trees shake off the leaves :lol:

Edited by dein-the-dragoon
miscounted a little...

On 2017-07-30 at 5:37 PM, coldsphinx93 said:

Hello,

i have never posted before on this site but I would be very interested in signing up for this challenge. I can have a list ready to go later. 

Ok so I have decided which games I will go for. Here is my list:

1. Lego City Undercover

2. Alice: Madness Returns

3. Nier Automata

4. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

5. The Escapists

6. Zero Escape Zero Time Dilemma

7. Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havoc

8. Seasons After Fall

9. Far Cry 4

10. Cosmic Star Heroine

All of these games I own but have not started on my profile yet.

21 hours ago, dein-the-dragoon said:

If one owns a (online or print doesn't matter) strategy guide for a game, is it legal to use them in this challenge?

There's no rule against strategy guides. This challenge isn't about being fair, it's about getting the platinums within three months, and if you need a guide to help you with the tough parts, that's your prerogative. I have used online guides for the games I am going to play a couple of times myself. ;)

I think we're up to 5 participants now (6 if the OP is taking part). Hopefully we get a couple more as it'll nice to be part of a big backlog event like this; keep each other to task, celebrate milestones and encourage each other past the tougher trophies etc. Still we've got enough that it'll feel like a good community thing I think.

I'm guessing this is a regular challenge. After all, naming it the "Fall 2017" challenge would indicate that this is a quarterly event. How many people normally take part? Is there usually much of a community aspect to it; discussions and the like?

14 minutes ago, BurnedChipmunk said:

I think we're up to 5 participants now (6 if the OP is taking part). Hopefully we get a couple more as it'll nice to be part of a big backlog event like this; keep each other to task, celebrate milestones and encourage each other past the tougher trophies etc. Still we've got enough that it'll feel like a good community thing I think.

I'm guessing this is a regular challenge. After all, naming it the "Fall 2017" challenge would indicate that this is a quarterly event. How many people normally take part? Is there usually much of a community aspect to it; discussions and the like?

I quite like to read how other people are progressing and finding their games. I will try to write up some of my own experiences each week or so too. ?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dein-the-dragoon said:

I already lampshaded that question but here it is again in full: If one owns a (online or print doesn't matter) strategy guide for a game, is it legal to use them in this challenge? And this challenge starts calculated after US time zones - when is it starting e. g. in Germany? Since I'm from there, that would be good to know. And let us all rain these trophies down like the trees shake off the leaves :lol:

Yeah, as long as you don't hack the trophies, I don't care what you use to help you get it done! xD For guidance-US eastern time is five hours behind GMT. Look it' up 'cause I'm too lazy to do it myself. :P

37 minutes ago, BurnedChipmunk said:

Just hosting it.

I think I've added everyone who had a list posted. Let me know if I missed one.

Quick update for me. I'll be adding a sixth game to my list, 'Shantae & The Pirate's Curse', another lucky purchase from Limited Run that I should show a little love to I think... I've barely played it. This ups my total to 6 for the challenge, which is only 2 games per month. I think this is manageable. It also adds a 2D Platformer, which is something I was missing from my list.

Additionally, though not a game I'm playing for the Fall Backlog Challenge. I'm going to add another game to my own personal list. I'l going to finish, and attempt to platinum 'Fallout 4' with all the DLC. I've just uninstalled all my mods and started a new game on Survival mode (so much fun). As the backlog challenge doesn't start till next month, this is my personal August challenge and hopefully my second platinum. I'm too late to join the Summer Backlog Challenge and I don't think adding another RPG to the Fall Backlog challenge would be a good idea for me... It'd probably be too much. But this way I have something to do for this month, rather than jump into the games on my list early and accidentally jump the gun and push them past the 20% mark.

Ultimately I'm hoping to have 10 platinum trophies by the end of this year... For, December I want to add 'Uncharted 2' and 'InFamous: First Light' to my list of platinums, which are games I've already played quite a bit of but as December is a busy year that's probably a good thing. If there's a Winter Challenge (as I'm sure there likely will be I'll have a think what to add to that then).

Happy gaming guys.

I'd like to join. Here's my list:

PS4

- Costume Quest 2 (0%)

- Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (0%)

- Eventide: Slavic Fable (0%)

- forma.8 (0%)

- Hitman GO (0%)

- Lara Croft GO (0%)

- Life is Strange (0%)

- Limbo (0%)

- Murdered: Soul Suspect (0%)

- Oxenfree (0%)

- The Deadly Tower of Monsters (0%)

- The Swapper (0%)

- Thumper (21%)

- Until Dawn (0%)

- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (0%)

Edited by Surge3Beast
Revised list of games

Thought about it a bit and I can actually get a preliminary list of unfinished games up for now.

Demon Gaze (7%)

Dragon Quest Builders (3%)

flower (14%)

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (16%)

Let's Fish! Hooked On (15%)

Edited list on page 3

That should be good enough for now. I'll add to it when the Summer Challenge is close to finishing.

Edited by Arctic Cress
new list made

A full three months to attack my backlog, huh? Well I have to take into account that I'll have the new Uncharted, Shadow of War and South Park: SoT occupying my time during this challenge, but I'm definitely interested in knocking out a few of my games currently still on my backlog!

Here's what I think I'll be able to start and finish by the end of November:

1. God of War (Vita) - 11% (7/36)
  2. 101 Ways to Die - 0% (0/31)
  3. Batman: A Telltale Games Series - 0% (0/31)
  4. God of War II (Vita) - 0% (0/35)
  5. Life Is Strange - 0% (0/59)

Edited by hotdog_president

On 8/6/2017 at 4:45 AM, Surge3Beast said:

I'd like to join. Here's my list:

PS4

- Batman: Telltale (0%)

- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (0%)

- Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (0%)

- Ether One (0%)

- Eventide: Slavic Fable (0%)

- Hitman GO (0%)

- Lara Croft GO (0%)

- Life is Strange (0%)

- The Deadly Tower of Monsters (0%)

- The Swapper (0%)

- Thumper (21%)

- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (0%)

15 hours ago, Arctic Cress said:

Thought about it a bit and I can actually get a preliminary list of unfinished games up for now.

Demon Gaze (7%)

Dragon Quest Builders (3%)

flower (14%)

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (16%)

Let's Fish! Hooked On (15%)

That should be good enough for now. I'll add to it when the Summer Challenge is close to finishing.

15 minutes ago, hotdog_president said:

A full three months to attack my backlog, huh? Well I have to take into account that I'll have the new Uncharted, Shadow of War and South Park: SoT occupying my time during this challenge, but I'm definitely interested in knocking out a few of my games currently still on my backlog!

Here's what I think I'll be able to start and finish by the end of November:

1. God of War (Vita) - 11% (7/36)
  2. 101 Ways to Die - 0% (0/31)
  3. Batman: A Telltale Games Series - 0% (0/31)
  4. STEINS;GATE (PS3) - 0% (0/42)
  5. Puss In Boots - 0% (0/40)

Added. Best of luck!