So, what Dragon Quest is this?

starcrunch061

Like soultaker655 said it's a free version.

It seems you are able to get this if you finish Dragon Quest XI and enter some specific code as far as I understand:

It has been revealed that the original Dragon Quest is a bonus for users who clear Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.

To obtain the original Dragon Quest on either PlayStation 4 or 3DS, the player simply needs to enter the “Spell of Restoration” that appears in the credits after the true ending. Doing so will enable the player to download the original Dragon Quest.

http://gematsu.com/2017/07/dragon-quest-free-version-ps4-trophies-surface

This is pretty cool. Square has dabbled a bit with free stuff for beating their games with the free themes from FFXIII and the Kingdom Hearts collections. Pretty interesting to see them expanding on it. Hopefully other companies will start to follow suite, and start doing something similar.

• 1 year later...

So a year plus in now...

It clearly will not be coming to the US. So I suppose then two questions exist for me:

Is it possible/how to get this trilogy (DQ I, II, & III) in the US? I am assuming per the comments above I can't just use the old "create another PSN profile to access a foreign PSN store" to buy + download the three on my US PS4. Am I to assume that you actually must first beat DQ XI, the Japanese version, in order to receive and redeem a code to download? Because, as one who doesn't personally speak Japanese, that might be stretching my limits. Which, I rather suppose, leads perfectly into my next question…

If I *could* manage getting them on my US-based PS4, just how feasible is it playing the three PS4 rereleases as an English, non-Japanese speaker? Doable, or so awkward and problematic as to make gameplay (Not following along with the story, but merely just playing the game without self-defeating myself through boneheaded mistakes by way of linguistics…?) pretty much the next closest thing to impossible as it gets?

It's just that it really sucks there are trophies now for the first three DQ games, yet I find them out of reach and all but inaccessible. Dragon Warrior I was the game that got my 6-year old self into RPGs for the very first time ever - indeed, it was my very first RPG ever! It was a natural leap from being crazily into Zelda as a six year old to seeing this on the shelf and taking the plunge.

Now, some 30 years later, I'd *really* love showing off my passion for the series by having these three games 100%'ed on my PSN account. Heck, I just played and beat DQ1 on my tablet via an NES emulator (it's okay! I still have my Dragon Warrior 1 cartridge+manual, so I'm all good legally speaking!) in 2018, just to replay it before XI reached our shores.

The fact the Erdrick Trilogy is on PS4 and has trophy support is so freaking tantalizing and torturous that it hurts. Hopefully that pain can transform into ecstasy if there is *some* reasonable way of getting this right here. But... based on the hints lying around this thread, that don't sound too promising right now.

Edited by Coladar
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 1/25/2019 at 6:33 PM, Coladar said:

So a year plus in now...

It clearly will not be coming to the US. So I suppose then two questions exist for me:

Is it possible/how to get this trilogy (DQ I, II, & III) in the US? I am assuming per the comments above I can't just use the old "create another PSN profile to access a foreign PSN store" to buy + download the three on my US PS4. Am I to assume that you actually must first beat DQ XI, the Japanese version, in order to receive and redeem a code to download? Because, as one who doesn't personally speak Japanese, that might be stretching my limits. Which, I rather suppose, leads perfectly into my next question…

If I *could* manage getting them on my US-based PS4, just how feasible is it playing the three PS4 rereleases as an English, non-Japanese speaker? Doable, or so awkward and problematic as to make gameplay (Not following along with the story, but merely just playing the game without self-defeating myself through boneheaded mistakes by way of linguistics…?) pretty much the next closest thing to impossible as it gets?

It's just that it really sucks there are trophies now for the first three DQ games, yet I find them out of reach and all but inaccessible. Dragon Warrior I was the game that got my 6-year old self into RPGs for the very first time ever - indeed, it was my very first RPG ever! It was a natural leap from being crazily into Zelda as a six year old to seeing this on the shelf and taking the plunge.

Now, some 30 years later, I'd *really* love showing off my passion for the series by having these three games 100%'ed on my PSN account. Heck, I just played and beat DQ1 on my tablet via an NES emulator (it's okay! I still have my Dragon Warrior 1 cartridge+manual, so I'm all good legally speaking!) in 2018, just to replay it before XI reached our shores.

The fact the Erdrick Trilogy is on PS4 and has trophy support is so freaking tantalizing and torturous that it hurts. Hopefully that pain can transform into ecstasy if there is *some* reasonable way of getting this right here. But... based on the hints lying around this thread, that don't sound too promising right now.

In order to get foreign digital games, you need to make a foreign account. Then you either need a credit card from that country or buy currency cards off a site.

DQ1-3 are currently on sale on the Hong Kong store. They're about $15USD right now all together. They're fully in Japanese but you could always play alongside them in English on another device if you wanted the trophies but don't know Japanese. You can either get fan translated versions of the old games or just pirate the official mobile versions if you didn't want to pay twice. They're old turn based RPGs so they're not that hard to complete.

However if you want the "free" version then things become more difficult. I think you specifically need the original version of DQXI in Japanese. Not the Definitve Edition. The original version never gets a discount sale anymore unfortunately. Then you also have to beat it with a Japanese account since it redirects you to the Japanese store after entering the code.

(Which the code is "horii toriyama sugiyama dorakuesuto pepepe".)

This might have also been a timed promotion which may be over already.

• Like 1