Suggestion: Earn forum badges as in trophies

Just now, Dragon-Archon said:

It's been suggested before, but I can't find the thread. IIRC it wasn't implemented because badges would encourage things like spamming posts or something like that, though I'm not sure.

Hasn't there been a feature - about a year ago - where there was some sort of user leaderboard for likes? This was also turned down pretty quick because some just posted a million things a day to get likes to be on top of the daily leaderboard. Pretty sure there was something like this for a short time, but was turned down rather quickly. Maybe I'm just trippin' :D

2 minutes ago, dalailama1989 said:

Hasn't there been a feature - about a year ago - where there was some sort of user leaderboard for likes? This was also turned down pretty quick because some just posted a million things a day to get likes to be on top of the daily leaderboard. Pretty sure there was something like this for a short time, but was turned down rather quickly. Maybe I'm just trippin' :D

Yeah, that used to be there. Then people abused it so it was removed.

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

Perhaps badges could be awarded for :

Guides added,

Years as PSNP member 

etc.

I like this idea. It would be cool to know if somebody has written trophy guides at a glance, and maybe winning guide of the year could have its own unique badge too.

This site already has quite a few gaming events like project platinum and what not where you get badge-like awards. Right now people tend to put those in their signatures or on their 'About Me' pages, but don't you think it would be better if those could be displayed more easily? I don't see why so many people are against the idea... :dunno:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FawltyPowers said:

Badges are there to stand out so when someone has more badges than someone else your eye is immediately drawn to it and by that token, even if subliminally, people are going to focus more on what they've written as "correct" than others, that their opinion is more valid. This is the reason I'm principally against the idea.

Okay, let's say that's true, how is it any different from the 'Like' system currently in place? If you think someone's opinion would be considered more valid the higher number of badges they have, what about someone with more 'Likes'?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Okay, let's say that's true, how is it any different from the 'Like' system currently in place? If you think someone's opinion would be considered more valid the higher number of badges they have, what about someone with more 'Likes'?

Realistically, thinking about it more, you're right. I'm going to delete that comment.

Well, a similar thing does exist on playstationtrophies.org forums and I kind of stopped using that website since most of the time I saw people just put themselves into every thread to increase their post counts, since there are site awards there that are tied to post count. I know reputation points here cap members and only allow them to give 25 likes each day, but I still see various members sending "friendly" messages to others in status updates just to increase the number of likes they get. Since your PSN profile already has milestones to the side of it, none of the badges need to be tied to your trophy accomplishments because I don't think forum members need to be reminded that you have a certain number of ultra rare trophies or platinums. If a badge system was added to this website, I just think it should have nothing to do with people's reputation number or post count, because people would simply exploit that with a few of their friends or something.

The only things that are currently part of this website that I really think people should be getting recognition for is making trophy guides or helping people with trophies they've already attained through playing that game with the person until they can get the trophy, playstationtrophies.org has the latter with the "Helping Hand" award, that award works by having members put forward a person who has shown that they are willing to help people with games, although the award isn't entirely pure since they basically gave it to mods who just showed up to gaming events and hosted a team's lobby. This website does give people guide promotion, because when you view a guide writer's PSN profile you will be able to see all the published guides that they are a part of. I guess site badges for guides could be awarded in tiers like Bronze - 1 Guide, Silver - 5+ Guides, Gold - 10+ Guides and Platinum - 20+ Guides and of course badges for winning guide of the year at any point. I guess with badges, this website should also have official game nights and events, rather than sub-forum events, there'd then be more variety and it would make the forums more interactive. However with official events there'd also need to be more staff added to this website to oversee events to see that people really attended and stayed for an appropriate amount of time. I doubt Parker, Stevieboy or Sly would have the time to attend each event for that purpose. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1