Playstation App Coming to iPhone, iPad and Android

DanielVT

Playstation App Coming to iPhone, iPad and Android

Big second screen plans.

by Justin Davis

http://www.ign.com/a...pad-and-android

Sony spent a lot of time at its Future of Playstation conference explaining in detail how Playstation Vita owners will be able to utilize their handheld as another option for experiencing Playstation 4 games.

On stage, other platforms like Apple's iPhone and iPad and Android handsets were only mentioned in passing. But in Sony Computer Entertainment's official press release more details were provided on what iOS and Android users have in store for them:

"A new application from SCE called 'PlayStation App' will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android- based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices."

The news sounds very similar to Microsoft's SmartGlass initiative, announced at E3 2012.

Specific examples and availability details are not yet available. Sony will presumably have more to say about the second screen functionality in key PS4 titles as the console approaches its late 2013 launch.

ps4_ios_android_app-300x190.jpg

Edited by DanielVT
  • Like 1

I still have a crappy Nokia that doesn't even have a camera or Bluetooth... So this isn't for me, and I honestly don't care :P

All this integration for social networking and remote play just isn't for me. I want my PS4 in my living room, hooked up to my tv, and me to play it with my DS4, nothing more ;)

I still have a crappy Nokia that doesn't even have a camera or Bluetooth... So this isn't for me, and I honestly don't care :P

All this integration for social networking and remote play just isn't for me. I want my PS4 in my living room, hooked up to my tv, and me to play it with my DS4, nothing more ;)

I agree. I doubt I'll use many of the social features. I don't have that many real-life friends that are dedicated gamers, and I don't really want my real name/face to be available for strangers to see. I still hope they give us the option to change our existing PSN ID.

I agree. I doubt I'll use many of the social features. I don't have that many real-life friends that are dedicated gamers, and I don't really want my real name/face to be available for strangers to see. I still hope they give us the option to change our existing PSN ID.

Same here. Only about 4 of my real-life friends actually play the PS3, and only 2 of them are actually into gaming as much as I am.

Of course I can understand why they're doing it, it's the "in" thing at the moment.

Edited by Chambers35

Wow, I really like the idea of being able to use my iPhone to view my in-game maps. I'm one of those gamers that constantly looks at maps to make sure I'm searching every corner for hidden goodies. This will save much time.

I did correlate this with that. Wow.....that is an awesome feature. It makes trophy-whoring that much easier!

The most important part about this (assuming they can deliver on it) is that having this on an iPad is a far superior option to Microsoft having the same thing on Surface tablets, from an installed-base perspective if nothing else.

Exactly! Fantastic.....EVERYONE has an Apple device! Sony seems totally prepared this go-around to take Microsoft down. They have done nothing but learn from their mistakes and seem to have everything down perfect. I think the fact that they decided to announce first is a statement. It basically says we don't care what MS comes up with. We are confident that our system has EVERYTHING and are unworried by MS's attempts to copy our plan. Essentially anything MS adds to the Xbox 720 is going to look like they copied Sony since Sony came out first.

• Like 1

Exactly! Fantastic.....EVERYONE has an Apple device! Sony seems totally prepared this go-around to take Microsoft down. They have done nothing but learn from their mistakes and seem to have everything down perfect. I think the fact that they decided to announce first is a statement. It basically says we don't care what MS comes up with. We are confident that our system has EVERYTHING and are unworried by MS's attempts to copy our plan. Essentially anything MS adds to the Xbox 720 is going to look like they copied Sony since Sony came out first.

Umm. Not everyone is apple happy. I have a Samsung device and I don't plan on joining the herd of apple sheep anytime soon. It shows the android logo as well, so not Microsoft, but google. I don't care for the xbox either, but just sayin :P

Umm. Not everyone is apple happy. I have a Samsung device and I don't plan on joining the herd of apple sheep anytime soon. It shows the android logo as well, so not Microsoft, but google. I don't care for the xbox either, but just sayin :P

I understand, it just seems that EVERYONE (other than you lol :P) has some sort of Apple device. :)

I understand, it just seems that EVERYONE (other than you lol :P) has some sort of Apple device. :)

True. A lot do, (I used to have an ipod) but I left that train when my product would malfunction and they thought it was OK to give me a refurbished one that was just someone else's broken piece of shit...not to mention charge me an arm and a leg for it after it already cost a lot. I refuse to buy the ipad (rather, big ipod, bigger ipod and tiny tiny ipod touch.)

I generally live by the principle that if something cost a lot of money, then it should be of better quality than other alternatives. (I feel the same with the PS3/PS4 for that matter.)

I would suggest that this app for apple/android is all about the connections - the DriveClub game intro stated that you could keep tabs on your challenges away from the console so your smart phone is an long range remote device.

Plus you know how it is here - someone asks you for a match / race /game and you dont own the title, but with this app you could have the game bought and installed by the time you got home!

Yeah, and I should have elaborated on my comment. The PS app will apparently work on iPads and Android devices. If the Xbox will ONLY work with Surface, that's huge.

• Like 1