Braid Dev: New Xbox 'Not Strictly About Games'

Aranea Highwind

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/braid-dev-new-xbox-not-strictly-about-games

Jonathan Blow, the independent game developer behind Braid, revealed his new gameThe Witness at Sony’s PlayStation 4 reveal. And while it’s not a PlayStation 4 exclusive,it will be on Sony’s platform first.

Speaking with Edge Online, Blow notes that the new, still-unknown Xbox 360 successor is “not strictly about games,” leading him to PlayStation 4 as a result.

“To me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. It’s trying to be the

of the living room device, which is fine and maybe it’s the right thing for Microsoft to do, business-wise. I don’t know; I actually don’t think it is, but they’ve certainly thought about it more than me!”

Blow then goes into his previous working relationship with Microsoft. “I’ve had a bad time working with Microsoft in the past. Maybe not super bad, but a moderately bad time in terms of business relationships. Other developers who are friends of mine have had a horrible time, so the idea of signing up again with Microsoft isn’t something I’d have ruled out, but there’s a certain amount of dread I have about doing that again.”

He notes that he doesn’t “have that [feeling] with Sony.” But he goes on to say, “Who knows, maybe it’ll turn out to be just as bad at the end! But I don’t think so.”

This isn’t the first time Blow has made his unhappiness with Microsoft known. He notedback in February that he doesn’t “have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now,” while echoing the same general sentiment from the Edge interview, noting that his studio “like the positioning of the PS4 more than what we perceive Microsoft’s positioning is going to be.”

I wonder why the console will not be strictly about games maybe they will implement more social crap pages on the console like the others are doing

Are they doing something new like Sony? If it is, I might not find it useful to where I'm at like what happened to Sony Conference :unsure: Most of the features of PS4, I may not find in very useful. I'm sure it will be the same with Xbox. The only thing I want Microsoft to fix on their next console is their controller. I personally find it difficult to grasp.

Edited by NightWing127

This has always been the case with Xbox, they want you to watch TV, play music, browse the web, control your AC, wash your dishes, fix your car....

The console is very versatile but they loose some focus on the important part of the console, the games. On SONY's conference they made sure to only advertise features that exploit the game experience on one way or the other, Microsoft has never showed this kind of mentality in my opinion, thats why I always say MS has the best console but not the games SONY does.

That is one thing I was very happy about with the PlayStation 4. Sure it has a lot of social features and all that, but the conference made it known that the machine is a gaming console first and foremost and anything else is just icing on top.

Microsoft really needs to step it up if they want to best Sony, but right now I don't see that happening.

Parker

Yes,YEs Microsoft is building a apple tv / neoTV / roku machine that plays games! I think SOft knew the PS4 was out for blood and they SAW this! THey were not going to fight anymore so they wanted to do the stream movies/ online facebook SS media thing plus games! So, Yes PS4 will have that stuff BUT ITS A GAMING MACHINE :) plsu I have A apple tv thanks Xbox but no thanks! OH I do own both and will buy both but its always Sony first ) I own like every console at one time and still play my amiga 500 :)

Microsoft is trying to do too much at the same time... Looks like if they keep going like this, it will be 70% entertainment center (tv replacemenent) and 20% gaming console.

While there is nothing wrong with that, it's seems stupid to try and to implement all this, since this started as a gaming console.

I really hate the way that the new generation consoles( from what been told for us so far) are all focused in social and everything in one device crap, everytime I read those articles I see myself going back to Pc games, Because i really dont need and honestly dont see the point in making consoles that do 50 things instead of just focusing on games , I mean if I want to watch a movie, hear a song, etc i use the Pc, the only point for me having a videogame are the games.