Monster Hunter World Anticipation Thread

Happy

5 hours ago, wackt1 said:

is this your very first monster hunter game? If so, I can lend you a few tips on weapons, mechanics, and on some of the returning monsters.

I've only played God Eater, which I really enjoyed. Though, truthfully, I had to be carried for the last few missions. One in particular was really hard for me to do alone. But it is my 1st Monster Hunter game, and I would like those tips. 

11 hours ago, VetoShizuko said:

Seems like most of us would get the platinum just by playing the game like we've always have lol 

I appreciate these kinds of trophies lol, souls series is the same. As long as you can complete the game, there's not much extra stuff you need to do to get them all. 

I liked the ranged weapons on this one, I'll probably pick it up when I clear some backlog...

2 hours ago, Xel said:

Local retail shop has it, I'm off to go pick it up now. Should be exciting! 

19 minutes ago, Happy said:

Maaaan i feel like everyone’s local shop is breaking street date but mine.

I ordered mine online, and found out today that it's delayed! Doesn't matter anyway. I've been sick all week, and I'm sure I won't be able top play it tomorrow if I wanted to.

On 31-12-2017 at 8:45 PM, Happy said:

I feel like you already found the solution to some of your issues with the controls. In these games heavy weapons are deliberately designed to be slow as hell. Your greatsword things won't get any faster even after 500 hours of playing. They're not exactly unresponsive but it's easy for some of your inputs to get eaten up by some long animations which makes it feel like the game isn't doing what you're telling it to do. If you want to be fast on your feet you're best off switching to Sword&Shield/Dual Swords/Insect Glaive. 

The camera is really not all that great. Some series veterans would go as far as to tell you that learning how to deal with it is part of the difficulty which i'm not quite so sure about. I haven't really seen anyone complain about the camera all that much after having put a decent amount of time into these games so you'll probably have less issues with it once you've gotten accustomed to it.

UI interface is also a valid complaint, luckily you won't have as much stuff in your inventory as in the beta when actually playing the game so you won't have to navigate it as much.

Framerate issues are also there. The beta is the same build they used for their Gamescom demo in mid august so there's a chance they've improved upon this aspect since then. If you don't have a PS4 Pro i wouldn't count on it though.

To comment on the difficulty, the gear you're given in the beta is pretty good considering the monsters you're supposed to fight as your quest targets. How much trouble you have with a monster depends on how good your gear is to a way bigger extent than what you'd be used to from playing Souls games. Mashing buttons is not really a viable strategy in the actual game, or at least it hasn't been in the past. 

I've touched upon the whole gear thing a bit but i guess i'll elaborate on it a bit. Something that the beta didn't really represent all that well is that Monster Hunter is all about progression. You fight monsters, carve them for materials and use those materials to make better gear so you can go fight bigger monsters for better materials and so on. This gameplay loop persists through pretty much the entire game. Working towards making a new weapon or armor and fetting better at fighting a particular monster in the process is what you'll be doing for most of your time playing. You can go from having a lot of trouble with a particular monster to completely destroying it in 10 minutes and wearing its skin as a skirt which i find very rewarding.

To finally address the whole Dark Souls comparison thing, there's some similarities but way more differences. Dark Souls is more about exploration and less about long term progression. The way you approach combat is also pretty different, especially in multiplayer. I'd find it hard to make any kind of "If you like X you'll like/dislike Y" statement but i'd at least say that you shouldn't go into this expecting something akin to a Souls game. 

If you generally enjoy long term progression is RPGs you'll probably also find things to enjoy here, that's the closest to a recommendation i can give you. 

I really hope so. That's the main thing I hated about the Beta I even set my Pro to performance.

11 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

I've only played God Eater, which I really enjoyed. Though, truthfully, I had to be carried for the last few missions. One in particular was really hard for me to do alone. But it is my 1st Monster Hunter game, and I would like those tips. 

God eater had a game, I thought is was just an anime.

If the game lets you create your own main character(don't judge but I love creating my main character to be a sexy and smart girl :D) I might pick this up when it launches even though it has a couple of multiplayer trophies. If the hype makes a lot of people love the game, I could easily get 100 quests done in multiplayer and the game looks like FFXIV without all of the set-up. :)

6 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

If the game lets you create your own main character(don't judge but I love creating my main character to be a sexy and smart girl :D) I might pick this up when it launches even though it has a couple of multiplayer trophies. If the hype makes a lot of people love the game, I could easily get 100 quests done in multiplayer and the game looks like FFXIV without all of the set-up. :)

7 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

YOU CAN BE A CAT PERSON FOR YOUR MAIN?!?! :o

Well, definitely looking into this. Thanks for the video! ?

You can't actually play as a cat person (you could at a previous point in the series). Instead they act as companion characters.

Is it too early to vote for GOTY? :) I'm in love... I have spent the last hour or two just responding to hunters SOS's and having a blast.

I'm a single player fan at heart but there is just something about hunting with others that is so satisfying.