Backlog Anonymous - The event to end all backloggery (Year 1)

Decided to go through my list and do one last purge. I'll go through a little of each one.

Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD - I already played this game a couple of times before. Once on Wii and once on gamecube. I picked up the HD version because I do really enjoy the game, and wanted the Wolf Link amiibo. I just have no desire to play it again. I'm happy to have it in my collection, but I've got plenty of other things to play, so it didn't make sense to go back to a game I've already played multiple times.

God Eater Resurrection - Much like Twilight Princess, I played the original version of this game already. I played it to death too. Got to 100% and kept playing with friends. It's a great game, I just have no real interest in playing it again. Especially since I'd be playing it alone.

Mega Man Starforce Pegasus -  I once had the goal to play every Mega Man game, so I picked this up. I just do not like it though. It's trying to change up the Battle Network formula by making battles 3D and having the camera behind the player, but it just doesn't work very well. It just made the game harder to play. I got stuck on a boss a while ago, and going back to it just sounds awful. So I just decided to remove it.

Akiba's Trip -  I picked this up a while ago thinking it might be fun, but I am just not weeb enough to enjoy it. It just feels like a bland action game to me. If I were more weeb and into Japanese culture, I'd probably like it a lot more, but it just doesn't interest me all that much.

Legasista - When I started this game, I was really enjoying it. But the game never really changes. About 15 hours in it feels the same as it did when I first started, and it just got old. The story wasn't interesting enough to keep me going, and I have no interest in playing more of it. 

Bloodborne - I actually bought my first PS4 for this game, after watching the Game Grumps play it. Unlike the Souls games,  it looked like it had a great balance of control and difficulty. While the Souls games have only ever felt hard because of the clunky controls. Which just makes the games feel unfair to me. Anyway, so it looked neat and I picked it up, and I really liked it. I ended up running into the same problem as Legasista though. The whole game just felt very samey. Play through same area over and over until you find the boss and have the whole area memorized. Fight the boss over and over until you've got the pattern memorized. Most of the areas looked too similar too, and that didn't help. I eventually ended up selling it, but made sure to grab it again when it was free on PS+. I tried going back to it after getting PS+ again, but it just felt even worse jumping back in. I had no idea where to go or what I was doing and felt like I had to start all over to relearn the game, and the thought of that just sounds awful to me. I do consider it a good game, but I'd rather watch other people play it than play it myself.

Trinity Universe - This is a game I absolutely loved when I first played it. I spent dozens of hours playing through the randomized dungeons and had a great time. Then when I was about 40 hours in, my PS3 died, and I lost my save. What made it worse, is that it was literally days before cloud saving was implemented. So, at the time I went and bought a new PS3, but starting over after being 40 hours in was just too daunting, and I shelved it. Fast forward a few years, and I finally decide to pop it in. I was excited to play the game again, because I had forgotten most of what happened by that point. I start playing and after the first dungeon, a lot of the game came rushing back, and I just didn't want to do everything I had done before again. So, I shelved it again. Fast forward another few years and it's still sitting on my shelf. I try it again, and something different happens. There's no feeling of dread or not wanting to do everything again, I just don't think it's fun. I'm just not into that kind of humor anymore, and the gameplay is just incredibly dated. So I've just decided to permanently shelve it. I enjoyed my initial time with it, but it's just not for me anymore.

Which brings me down to 35 games left. This is the last real purge, since now I haven't played most of the games I have left. They may be removed one by one, but there wont be any need for a real purge.

• Like 3

mhu07q.png

Finished The Long Reach on the PS Vita. Disturbing horror story. Great for the PS Vita, for the PS4 I would have chosen some better graphs ?. Game was not always clear what to do but hey it is a puzzle horror game anyway! Short but sweet.

That brings me back to 0 available game points (had -2 when I started the new year) , need 3 to get myself The Division 2

Edited by gladiatorrrrrrr
  • Like 4

God-Eater-2-Rage-Burst-Key-Art.jpg  

Beat God Eater 2.

It was pretty good. There were a couple of things they changed about the gameplay that was kind of annoying, mostly that you can't quick devour anymore, but was otherwise a fun sequel. I especially liked the inclusion of a Scythe weapon. Scythe's are my favorite weapon, but they're rarely done well in games, if at all. But GE2 nailed it. The blood arts was a neat addition as well. Story was decent enough. I like the first one a bit more, but 2 was still enjoyable. 

Down to just 3 more games on my PS4 backlog. I'm going to have to sell it again at the end of the month for rent money, so I'm trying to get through all of it before then. Mainly so I won't feel the need to buy one again until there's something specific I want to play. I mainly just want to stick to my Switch, for the flexibility of being portable.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, gladiatorrrrrrr said:

@ExHaseoGot God Eater 2 for the PSVIta, not yet on my backlog list but on my 'possible to add' , Looking at your review I might add it to my back log list (or swap with another game) how long did it take you to finish it?

It took me about 30 hours for the main story, but Rage Burst comes with all of the DLC. From what I hear, all the DLC is an entire second story. So to do everything it's probably double that. I just called it done because I thought I'd have to sell my PS4 (which I luckily dont now).

I definitely recommend playing it either way. It's a fun game, especially if you like Monster Hunter style games. It's a good balance of fast paced action and strategy. 

Edit - Apparently I'd been getting screwed on my paychecks without knowing it, and today I got a big ol' check of all that back pay. So I'm pretty excited. I don't have to sell my PS4. Since both just got a price cut, I also picked up Spider-Man and Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition. Spider-Man is only $40, and FFXV Royal Edition is only $20. I'm pretty excited for both of these. I love Spider-Man, and I'm really interested in how the FFXV DLC changes the game.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 3

Jumped back into Resident Evil 1 and it is more puzzle heavy then the remake of RE2 but isn't proving to be too difficult. A little frustrated right now as I was trying to go for a speed run (under 3 hours) mixed with a no save run and I got I shotted by the dang Hunters when I was making good time. Probably been playing between 1:30 - 1:40 minutes with another hour of game time to go.

Wanted to save myself a playthrough, but looks like I'm on try number 4 to get this speedrun ?

• Like 1

And got it!

2 hrs 46 min and 42 sec, Starsenal, ink is for squids, don't stop running, and every woman for herself all unlocked at once :D

Now to beat True Survivor with Jill (set to automatic hard mode), and beat the game with Chris on Invisible Enemy Mode before my next RE platinum is mine

• Like 4

Third game of this year is Until Dawn

This 'game' was like playing a straight up movie, but without the excitement of something like Uncharted. The horror element felt stretched and forced at points with things stolen from Saw and The Decent. But, for an easy game to ease out the burnout from RE HD, this did nicely. I didn't really have any expectations of the game going in, but I am glad I did not have to pay for it at least.

Stats for the Event - 2019

Total Game Points: -2

Games Platinumed/100%: 3

Games Bought: 0

Total Game Beaten During Event 2018 - 2019: 37

So close to being out of the negatives with points!

• Like 3

Finished lots of stuff recently. Lots of DLC especially. So here comes a big update!

Spider-Man - This was a fantastic game. Easily in the top 5 best games this generation. I had some minor issues with it, mainly with their decisions to change certain characters from the source material, but it's strengths more than made up for it. Traversing the city was fluid and fun, the combat was fun, the game was gorgeous, the story was great, and the characters had a lot of depth. I also played on Spectacular mode, because the person at Gamestop recommended it. They said it was way too easy otherwise. And I'm glad I took their advice. Playing on Spectacular made me really feel like Spider-Man, because it's all about not getting hit. I'm really looking forward the inevitable sequel. I actually liked the game so much, I did something I almost never do, bought the season pass. I'm generally against Season Passes and opt to wait for the bundle later on, but the game felt like a complete experience without it. It didn't feel like they cut content out to throw back in later like a lot of games do these days, and I really wanted to support those kinds of decisions.

Spider-Man CTNS DLC - All that being said, I wasn't super into the DLC. It was pretty good, but it was too much of the same. It followed a very specific formula for each pack (outside of the story), that was in line with the main game. IMO it would have been way better for the DLC packs to build off of the previous one, instead of be completely separate. Much like how the different acts in the game build off of the previous one to add more. Making them separate made them feel a bit tedious, and I ended up not even bothering with a lot of the side missions because of it. I did the ones that had some story, like the art collection and crime scenes ones, but didn't bother with the Screwball or random crimes. Screwball also just got on my nerves, haha. Overall, they were worth the price though. They added an extra 2+ hours of content for each pack, and that's pretty good for DLC, so I'm happy with it.

Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition - I originally played FFXV shortly after it first came out. Before any of the DLC came out and a lot of stuff was changed. The DLC felt like cut content to just sell to me later, so I refused to buy it until a bundle came out and got a hefty price drop. And it finally dropped to $20, so I picked it up. I played through again, and I didn't notice too many changes throughout most of the story. The little things they added definitely helped the flow of the game though. The last couple chapters were changed drastically though, and most definitely for the better. They worked waaaaay better than the original and explained a lot that was just left unanswered in the original. Having the "Verse 2" follow Gladio and Ignis was great, and finally showed just what happened to the Empire's leader and Ravus. The extra bosses in Chapter 15 were great too, and really added a lot. It felt like a real culmination of the game and helped show the bond between the Chocobros. It was overall just a much better experience. It's just a shame that it took so long. I would have much rather had them wait another year or two and release everything together, instead of the weird beta type version we got that slowly got changed. Which brings me to the Episode DLC. I'll talk more about specifics with each Episode below, but I had a couple of pretty major issues with it. For one, it's hard to tell if it's actually canon. Things happen in each pack that contradicts what's said and shown in the main story. And two, it should have been integrated into the story. It was really annoying having to go out to the main menu when a party member left to play their episode. It makes sense for Ignis, because it has lots of spoilers for the ending, but they could have just made the spoilers more vague, instead of straight up showing the cutscenes, and it would have been fine. At the very least, it would have been nice to be given the option to play the Episodes as the party members left/came back. Just like they did with Verse 2 of Chapter 14. Anyway, FFXV Royal Edition is still full of issues, but it's a much more complete experience. Still a good game overall, and worth playing, but it doesn't live up to the wait, and certainly doesn't live up to the expectations set by Versus XIII.

Episode Gladio - I have no strong feelings one way or the other about this. It was fine. It was fitting for Gladio's character.

Episode Prompto - I mentioned above that it's hard to tell if these episodes are canon, and Prompto's is the biggest reason why. We have no idea how Prompto gets out in the cold or how he gets all that snow gear. And by the end, we have no idea how/why he gets captured and beaten up. We don't even know if the Prompto that was captured is the real Prompto anymore. It explains a lot of the backstory on the Empire, but doesn't explain anything about Prompto we didn't already know. I also didn't like the gameplay very much. It was fine, but they made it a huge pain to reload and the bullet capacity was way too limited. You shouldn't have to be in people's faces to kill them with a gun, so that you can get more ammo. You can even see the guns laying on the ground after enemies are defeated. You should have been able to pick them up. It was incredibly disappointing because of all of this. It was neat to see more Aranea, but that's really the only good thing about this DLC. It's almost better to just skip it, and assume Ardyn just kidnapped Prompto after he fell off the train.

Episode Ignis - This one could be argued that it suffers a bit from the same thing Prompto's does, in that it's hard to tell if it's canon, but it could also be argued that Ignis simply lied to Noctis to spare his feelings. I decided to believe he's just lying to Noct, because it's perfectly in line with Ignis' character. With that in mind, this DLC was easily the best by far. The combat was fun, the story was interesting and explained a lot of missing info, and it showed just how much of a badass Ignis really is. I really enjoyed the alternate ending too. It was pretty cool that they added it in. Like I said above though, I just with it was better integrated into the actual game. 

I also removed Tales of the Abyss 3DS from my list. I got it for Christmas a few years ago, and just got around to playing it. I've already played the PS2 version, and apparently the 3DS version is literally the same thing, except for whatever reason they made the menus and dialogue super ugly. It's like they thought they were putting it on the DS instead of 3DS, and downgraded it, when there wasn't really any reason to. Since I've already played it and this is an inferior version anyway, I just decided to take it off. Which brings me down to just 1 games on my 3DS/DS backlog.

With all of this, I'm back up to 13 points, with just 31 games left on the backlog.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 4

Picked up Modern Warfare and The Witness from PS+.

Not normally a fan of CoD but with there being no online trophies, I thought that it might be worthwhile to take another stab at the series.

The Witness has random generated puzzles and is set in first person perspective similar to Ether One and Master Reboot. How can I say no to that?

Anyone else snagging from plus this month?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BlazzingWind said:

Picked up Modern Warfare and The Witness from PS+.

Not normally a fan of CoD but with there being no online trophies, I thought that it might be worthwhile to take another stab at the series.

The Witness has random generated puzzles and is set in first person perspective similar to Ether One and Master Reboot. How can I say no to that?

Anyone else snagging from plus this month?

I didn't know that MWR had no online trophies. I'm definitely grabbing it now! I remember enjoying in the gameplay from the original, I just really didn't want to have to play online.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I didn't know that MWR had no online trophies. I'm definitely grabbing it now! I remember enjoying in the gameplay from the original, I just really didn't want to have to play online.

I took a look through the trophies and did not see any online component

• Like 2

Finished Yakuza 0 100% and got the plat. It's definitely one of my favourite games now and I hope the rest of the franchise holds up. I've heard Mahjong is easier in all the other games either due to there being less requirements or there being 'cheat' tiles, so we'll see. After I'd calmed down and read far too many guides it wasn't so bad. All the other games were somewhat less painful though.

Started Yakuza Kiwami cause I need to know how the story continues, let's just hope I don't get burnt out on the side stuff. There looks to be a lot less since you're only controlling the one character this time but we'll see.

Yakuza is the only franchise I've found so far where I legitimately care about characters dying. I feel such attachment to all of them and feel terrible when they die. I don't really like where Majima's gone in terms of character, but I get that 0 was made after the original Yakuza. So maybe in 0 they toned him down a little too much. His current state looks to be pretty far gone from what we saw in the prequel. Still I'm looking forward to seeing how everything pans out.

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 2