A weak and shallow remake

Sir-Syzygy

It's worth playing for the gameplay (even though 30fps is an obvious downgrade), but yeah, it definitely lost the charm of the original game. The characters are so one-dimensional now, whereas before they actually developed over the course of the game. Ratchet wants to save the galaxy and is friends with Clank from the get-go (despite them hardly talking). I keep seeing people mention the pretty graphics as a plus point and that's kind of sad. When did we expect so little out of games?

This scene pretty much sums up the direction they took the game in:

Spoiler

Image result for how do you do fellow kids

I would recommend people watch TheGamingBritShow video linked earlier in the thread as it really goes into detail on all the problems the game has. I'm not saying it's a bad game, and there's no real reason not to play it since the game is on PS+, but I definitely feel like it's overrated.

• Like 1

In the time when the mascot platformers had to wield guns, R&C was probably the best incarnation. R&C has some small problems here and there, but overall it's actually great. Of the original saga, I think R&C 1 and 2 was by far the best. R&C 1 feels a bit unpolished, while R&C 2 fixes this a bit. R&C 3 just went in all the wrong directions, and for me it's just no fun at all. Deadlocked just continued this trend.

I've not played the remake, but it's not long since I played R&C1 on PS3, and it had held up IMO, but as I said, I think it was a bit unpolished and R&C 2 did this better.

There's also the Future saga, which is actually pretty damn good. More polished, and when they go away from what made 3 and deadlocked awful, they're amazing. There's only 2 of the 4 games that got any trophies. Crack in Time is by far the best one of them with trophies. Into the Nexus was a low budget repeat of the formula. Good at what it does, but you've done everything before except for like one new gadget, and the game is very short.

So, I think R&C1, R&C2, Crack in Time are definitely the best ones with trophies, with Into the Nexus coming in at a distant 4th for a short little repeat tour. :P 

Edited by MMDE

19 minutes ago, Jaco said:

@MMDE Do you mean Into the Nexus? FFA is one of the spinoffs. And how could you not love 3? Courtney Gears, man! :P

Honestly, I don't remember not loving the reboot, because it was fun as hell to play. But the story was probably lacking compared to past titles. 

I did indeed mean Into the Nexus. FFA was shiet, but not as bad as A4O.

Edited by MMDE

I really love Ratchet & Clank, and I quickly played the new one when it came out and got the plat. 

I liked the game, but I hated that Ratchet and Clank barely talked to each other. The dialogue was a huge step down from the old games.

I had fun with it. I played the older titles years ago and I forgot what fun they were until I played this game. The R&C and KH games were always in my ps2, they got me through a lot back then so when the remake was announced I was happy. 

I liked it, not much else to say.

i downloaded it at the weekend and i started to play it, and i actually really enjoyed it! i never played the older ones but the story isn't too bad and the gameplay is pretty decent. i'm looking forward to playing some more at the weekend if it's not deleted by the time i go back to it!

On 12/03/2018 at 1:07 PM, Golden Devil Gamer said:

I haven't played the new R&C yet, but the change in tone is what's putting me off from the series. I had the game on hold for almost two years, though I should actually give it a try someday (maybe after playing the HD collection). Gameplay wise, it seems similar to the previous games, and the game's got some pretty visuals. Hopefully those make up for the lackluster change in tone. There's a pretty good video that goes in-depth with the tonal change. 

If you have the time to watch this long video, it explains where the new game went wrong in great detail.

In short, my opinion is this: the original trilogy was great. The best of the PS2 mascot-era. They were made for young teens. The rest of the games after the fourth entry (gladiator/deadlocked) were all made for pre-teens, including this 2016 game.

The new game has received WAY too much praise for visuals alone. The characters are nonsensical and two-dimensional. The story is boring. The original was filled with character subtext and the story had purpose.

The series in general was been diminishing in quality since the original, and this new entry is no exception to that trend. Insomniac failed so hard with this game that I'm actually worried for Spudrmans.

• Like 1

As some one who grew up on these games , playing every game near releas if not on release , also watching the movie. I cant say i havnt enjoyed playing any of the ratchet and clanks even the film wasnt terrible. But my favorite has always been the 1st ratchet and clank. If they remade the exact game just better graphics i would have been disapointed so happy they changed thing , my only problem is with the galactic rangers , personaly i dont like how ratchet is part of a team and thats where he starts. But i must say apart from that they have saved the franchise with having a universe of talking charecters. Whereas before only important charecters spoke. Now there room for more story. By the end of the ps3 serries it felt you where getting no where. Overall , all ratchet and clanks are must plays to me ?

I can only second what has been repeatedly said before. R&C 2016 is the peak of the series from a gameplay perspective while also setting the standard for the quality of cartoonish 3D animation for years to come. It is easily the closest we’ve gotten to a playable Pixar movie.

It’s just that the writing has taken a massive nosedive. Jokes fall flat more often and are generally more lazily written. The narrative is painfully by the numbers. The changes made to the characters of Ratchet and Clank have no positive impact compared to the original, in fact it completely destroys their character dynamic.

I’m positive that the team can do a better job in any potential sequel that doesn’t have to adapt any god awful movies.

23 minutes ago, Happy said:

I can only second what has been repeatedly said before. R&C 2016 is the peak of the series from a gameplay perspective while also setting the standard for the quality of cartoonish 3D animation for years to come. It is easily the closest we’ve gotten to a playable Pixar movie.

It’s just that the writing has taken a massive nosedive. Jokes fall flat more often and are generally more lazily written. The narrative is painfully by the numbers. The changes made to the characters of Ratchet and Clank have no positive impact compared to the original, in fact it completely destroys their character dynamic.

I’m positive that the team can do a better job in any potential sequel that doesn’t have to adapt any god awful movies.

Is the gameplay really the peak of the series, though? I mean it's a definite improvement over the original, but it is a 30fps game. Personally, I feel like A Crack in Time had the best gameplay in the series since it was the last game that was 60fps, and that really does make a huge difference in how a game feels to play. The mechanics were already refined by that point too. I don't think R&C 2016 really improves upon that formula in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

I became a fan from the moment when I played the demo of the first game in 2002. Played all of Insomniac's R&C games, apart from All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault, even played Size Matters, and I've gotta say I highly enjoyed the PS4 game. I consider A Crack in Time to be the best game. It's the most ambitious one and has the best story imo. For me the first game is the worst Insomniac has made (not counting the aformentioned spin-offs), mostly because of how unlikeable Ratchet is and the controls are absolutely horrible. A lot of people say the first game is the hardest, which I can see why, but for me it's only hard because the controls are too floaty and because you can't strafe.

The PS4 game is a modern take on the original game. It improves upon the controls, making the game easier in the process, while it also adds great gameplay elements added in later games as well like strafing and leveling. The weapons are a "greatest hits" of the entire series, which makes them better than the original's for me.

My biggest gripe with the new game is the story, specifically the way it's told. Unlike some, I actually like that Ratchet isn't a douche like in the original. I hate original Ratchet. What I don't like about this new story is that everything is told through the Qwark filter. I can't take anything seriously because this is Qwark's version of the story. This is also why I like the movie's version of the story 10 times more. An unfiltered version of the story.

[SPOILERS START HERE] Simply compare the movie's ending with the game's ending. The movie's ending is pure perfection, seeing Dr. Nefarious turn into a robot, perfectly setting up the sequel with him as the main villain. The game ends with the dude who Qwark shared his time with in prison seemingly becoming the main villain for the next game. What the...? This is also what I mean with the Qwark filter. In his version of the story, he doesn't want to reveal that Dr. Nefarious is still alive and will be the main villain again. This hurts the story badly. [SPOILERS END HERE]

For me the movie's story is far better than the game's story. But this is the only thing I really don't like about the game. The rest is great! I want them to do a sequel to this game, but with the movie's story in mind, not the game's story.

Edited by Asimb0mb