No Unreal Engine 4 or Frostbite 3 on WiiU

Parker

I can't say this is surprising news but it sucks for WiiU owners who were promised huge 3rd party support for the system.

When someone asks if Unreal Engine 4 will work on Wii U, Epic co-founder Mark Rein bursts out laughing. "No," he says.

Following an Unreal Engine presentation at 2013's Game Developer Conference, Rein clarifies his response to IGN, still laughing, "I just laugh at the question...Unreal Engine 4, we're not PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or Wii U. It's next-gen technology. That's what we're aiming for."

So while UE4 proper won't make its way onto Wii U, Rein explains that developers are capable of porting software powered by the engine. "The truth is, if a developer wanted to take an Unreal Engine game and put it on Wii U, they could," Rein continues. "Unreal Engine 3 is kicking ass on Wii U. The best games on Wii U are made on our technology. What more do you want from us?"

In addition, says Eurogamer, Nintendo's hardware won't see the likes of Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age 3's Frostbite Engine 3.

Parker

Not sure if thats big of a deal...most players who have a ps3/360 will jump on board to ps4/nextbox and if they want a Wii U its gonna be for games like Mario and Zelda not battlefield 4.

Thats how i feel anyway, apart from exclusives i buy the games for PS3. (Soon to be 4...)

• Like 2

I hardly buy games from EA (Mirrors edge and Mass effect are the only ones) so this doesn't affect me if I consider a Wii U. Still this does worry me, I hate to see them go down the road of the Dreamcast. I hope not, Nintendo makes really fun games and have come a long way in the console business.

I still think that Nintendo should have made a real next-generation console. I played the WiiU, and it was great fun for several days.....but nothing that the Wii couldn't of done with a few modifications. I see it as a potentially fatal mistake by Nintendo, I really hope they pull out of this slump. Their stuff is starting to get boring.

It's a shame when your console from 1998 was more quality than your current 2013 one.

I still think that Nintendo should have made a real next-generation console. I played the WiiU, and it was great fun for several days.....but nothing that the Wii couldn't of done with a few modifications. I see it as a potentially fatal mistake by Nintendo, I really hope they pull out of this slump. Their stuff is starting to get boring.

It's a shame when your console from 1998 was more quality than your current 2013 one.

But why put effort into  a console, when you can instead cut back on features and sell it for a huge profit. Then when your competitors release their new consoles you can slash the price of yours and still make a profit (and undersell them at Holiday season).

It is a shame that people are still so willing to just hand their money over to companies and don't bother asking for anything in return.

• Like 1

I think people tends to feel safety in brand name instead of doing research and such. Hell I'm avoiding the Wii U, it's an useless console to me and even some of the developers are seeing this and moving onto the big boy consoles and the PC. Sad you gone from ruling the 16-bit generation with an excellent number of 1st and 3rd party titles to singing at bowling alleys. I can see I hate to say Nintendo doing Handhelds in the future.

But why put effort into  a console, when you can instead cut back on features and sell it for a huge profit. Then when your competitors release their new consoles you can slash the price of yours and still make a profit (and undersell them at Holiday season).

It is a shame that people are still so willing to just hand their money over to companies and don't bother asking for anything in return.

Luckily, that doesn't seem to be happening with the WiiU. According to a few sources it has had the worst launch of any of the current generation consoles and really shows no sign of increasing. It seems only the biggest of Nintendo fans have purchased the system while others (like myself) are waiting for them to actually do something decent before I allow them to take my money again.

Parker

Luckily, that doesn't seem to be happening with the WiiU. According to a few sources it has had the worst launch of any of the current generation consoles and really shows no sign of increasing. It seems only the biggest of Nintendo fans have purchased the system while others (like myself) are waiting for them to actually do something decent before I allow them to take my money again.

Parker

But the same thing happened with the 3ds, so they quickly got a zelda, mario kart, 2 mario games, a monster hunter and kingdom hearts out and they got their sales.

The thing is though they aren't trying anything new, they know their fans will just buy a system to get to play any of those games again. Also like I said they over charged for their system (just like the 3ds) and then will slash the price come Christmas time to beat out the PS4/720.

They are done getting money from me. They have burned me too many times in the past and I don't really care about anything they are doing any more. I don't need to play Mario 240 and Legend of Zelda 56.

• Like 1

Not sure if thats big of a deal...most players who have a ps3/360 will jump on board to ps4/nextbox and if they want a Wii U its gonna be for Bayonetta 2.

Fixed it abit. Let's be honest. Zelda is getting boring, Skyward was extremely mediocre. And to be honest Nintendo has always been Mediocre graphics but Amazing gameplay. And mediocre isn't bad it's just that when compared it's a joke. But on it's own they are amazing. Like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime. The gameplay was enjoyable more than anything, even warranting more playthroughs. I grew up with the NES then had a Gameboy Advance and then a Gamecube so I was never in the graphics department. But the games where really enjoyable.Then comes the Wii and shoves a mandatory gimmick with an outdated graphical leap. Some games where fun but the forced gimmick crippled it.

Mario is still somewhat fun but now it's just a complete copy/paste formula. Like NSMB2.

Personally (and I wish I was kidding) I will buy the Wii U for just 2 games. Monster Hunter and Bayonetta 2. And that leaves a lot to say. Because I love games, but even more I love good games that are worth the console. And, the wii u is not worth it.  :|

Fixed it abit. Let's be honest. Zelda is getting boring, Skyward was extremely mediocre. And to be honest Nintendo has always been Mediocre graphics but Amazing gameplay. And mediocre isn't bad it's just that when compared it's a joke. But on it's own they are amazing. Like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime. The gameplay was enjoyable more than anything, even warranting more playthroughs. I grew up with the NES then had a Gameboy Advance and then a Gamecube so I was never in the graphics department. But the games where really enjoyable.Then comes the Wii and shoves a mandatory gimmick with an outdated graphical leap. Some games where fun but the forced gimmick crippled it.

Mario is still somewhat fun but now it's just a complete copy/paste formula. Like NSMB2.

Personally (and I wish I was kidding) I will buy the Wii U for just 2 games. Monster Hunter and Bayonetta 2. And that leaves a lot to say. Because I love games, but even more I love good games that are worth the console. And, the wii u is not worth it.  :|

Don't forget a new smash bros. something Sony couldn't even pull off with All stars.

To me, the Wii U isn't worth it yet since the memory is low compare to the current PS3/360. Pretty sure the PS4 will start the same way.

I'm in the same boat with the games I would get for the Wii U. (101 heroes looks fun also.)

Don't forget a new smash bros. something Sony couldn't even pull off with All stars.

To me, the Wii U isn't worth it yet since the memory is low compare to the current PS3/360. Pretty sure the PS4 will start the same way.

I'm in the same boat with the games I would get for the Wii U. (101 heroes looks fun also.)

I doubt it. Sony has already stated that the PlayStation 4 will have a pretty big HDD at launch and I'm sure they saw all the backlash the WiiU got for it's tiny drive.

Once the WiiU gets a proper Harvest Moon I'll have to break down and buy one. More than likely I'll buy used because I don't want to give Nintendo my money for something I don't support, but dammit I have to have all the Harvest Moon!

Parker

Wii U is going to be one of those cheap-o consoles yet the kids will want an PS4 more. The downside is you all better start skilling up to keel em over and over again to drink their tears, take it from an tear drinker like me. The upside is more good stuff for the PS4. Still I see the Wii U as one of Nintendo's biggest flops. They might just go handheld at next generation if they keep on playing behind the 8-ball for the tech.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/30/unreal-engine-4-not-designed-to-work-on-wii-u/

So according to Engadget the engine can be run on Wii U, and also PS3 and 360.

From what I understand it will be a severely downscaled version of the engine in order for it to run on current gen consoles, which sadly includes the WiiU. The PS4 and I'm assuming the Nextbox will be able to run the true engine.

Parker