Let's Talk: God of War

DNA-VL

I'm currently playing it on the difficulty Give Me God of War and boy oh boy its a challenge lol i am though loving the visuals and story so far.

Being a big fan of the first three God of War games i was quite skeptical on this one though mainly because of the light reboot but i'm happy to say that i like the new approach, combat is fluid, the new over-the-shoulder camera view works well and the story is gripping - it does make me miss the hack-n-slash and ruthlessness of Kratos from the originals but i'm happy with this.

I've barely scratched the surface of the story but it already feels like a game i'd rate a 9 or 10/10 by the end, also being another candidate for 2018 Game of the Year.

So...

What difficulty are you playing?

How do you feel about the reboot of the series?

Did you prefer the "old" style of God of War?

Should there have been a trophy for completing on the hardest difficulty?

Rate it out of 10?

FINALLY finished the game and wow!

+ Visually gorgeous

+ Great story

+ Fluid and fun combat

- Little weapon variety

- 9/10.

Edited by DNA-VL
Update on game...
  • Like 1

I just finished the game, and I can safely say that this is one of the most impressive games I've ever played. Not just from the phenomenal story and character development, but from a technological standpoint this is among the most technically fleshed out games ever, in my opinion. Without a doubt, this will probably be top three best games of the year.

I was playing on hard difficulty, and I think this game completely blows the rest of the series out of the water. Perhaps the fact that it is a unique take on a series makes it so fun and refreshing, but I adore it. I don't think there should have been a difficulty trophy personally, but then again, I cared more about everything else besides the combat. Not that the game has bad or boring combat, I loved it, I just found it quite easy to learn and master.

Solid 10/10 for me, will definitely remember this game for years to come.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ManaFear said:

I just finished the game, and I can safely say that this is one of the most impressive games I've ever played. Not just from the phenomenal story and character development, but from a technological standpoint this is among the most technically fleshed out games ever, in my opinion. Without a doubt, this will probably be top three best games of the year.

Nice one, i am liking the storytelling more compared to the originals and just by the first big cinematic fight alone i was blown away, also the fact there is barely any loading screens which is is a incredible feat. I definitely see this being top 3 this year and easily the must play game on PS4.

29 minutes ago, ManaFear said:

I was playing on hard difficulty, and I think this game completely blows the rest of the series out of the water. Perhaps the fact that it is a unique take on a series makes it so fun and refreshing, but I adore it. I don't think there should have been a difficulty trophy personally, but then again, I cared more about everything else besides the combat. Not that the game has bad or boring combat, I loved it, I just found it quite easy to learn and master.

Solid 10/10 for me, will definitely remember this game for years to come.

I think i need to tone down the difficulty to Hard too lol, just so i can enjoy the game more and gain a better experience...

and yeah as much as i love the originals i feel this one refreshes the series perfectly and takes it to new heights...

I found the combat quite simple to learn too...

This is a solid 4 or 5/10 for me. Everything about it is disappointing, from the story, to the gameplay, to the pacing, to the music... It just kept disappointing the more I played. Combat got a lot better about halfway through but it still wasnt fun.

That said, it is a very pretty game, and outside of Kratos falling through objects when dying, I havent encountered any bugs at all. So on a techincal level, it's very impressive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madbuk said:

This is a solid 4 or 5/10 for me. Everything about it is disappointing, from the story, to the gameplay, to the pacing, to the music... It just kept disappointing the more I played. Combat got a lot better about halfway through but it still wasnt fun.

That said, it is a very pretty game, and outside of Kratos falling through objects when dying, I havent encountered any bugs at all. So on a techincal level, it's very impressive.

That's quite a harsh rating but fair enough, i can't agree with you though - maybe the music is a little sub par but that's about it sorry.

GOW is definitely a gorgeous looking game though and technically yes its impressive, i cant really argue the story just yet but the pacing doesn't seem too bad to me.

I love the God Of War series but have zero interest in this game (as a GoW game) because as far as I’m concerned the only thing GoW about this game is the name and look of the main character. I do however have several questions if anyone can answer them assuming they are answered in the game.

How does Kratos end up in the world he’s in?

Do we know who the boys mother is?

Does the kid/mother know about Kratos’ past?

Do they know why his skin is white?

14 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

How does Kratos end up in the world he’s in?

Do we know who the boys mother is?

Does the kid/mother know about Kratos’ past?

lets just say its definitely a sequel and not a reboot and Kratos' past is more than just a reference ;)

• Like 1

I know everyone’s entitled to their own opinions an all but seriously how can anyone not like this game? It makes the other god of war games look like shit. So far I’m loving everything about it from the story to the characters, the different areas are all great looking, combat isn’t simple button mashing like the previous games this time more strategy is involved, the open world is done really well and it’s one of the very few games where doing side activities and getting collectibles doesn’t feel like meaningless chores. So far a solid 9/10 from me and I’m pretty sure it’ll be a 10/10 by the time I’m done with the game. Only downside is that I ran into a gamebreaking bug and have to wait for a patch but other than that an excellent game all around no doubt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

Wait, is his skin supposed to still be ghostly white? It looks pretty normal to me, to the point that I wondered why that is, since it's never touched upon. The son has a lighter skin tone as a point of reference.

16 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

Wait, is his skin supposed to still be ghostly white? It looks pretty normal to me, to the point that I wondered why that is, since it's never touched upon. The son has a lighter skin tone as a point of reference.

I haven’t played the game but looking at a video of gameplay his skin is the same white with red symbol from the previous games. It would strike me as odd if it wasn’t the same ghostly white as the previous games as the reason for his skin looking like that is the reason why he went after Ares in the first place.

24 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

It's explained in the original God of War on PS2. I've marked it as a spoiler if you haven't played it yet.

Spoiler

When he was Ares' servant, he and his army came across a village that worshipped Athena. He was then driven by Ares into blood rage and killed all the villagers. In the end, he was too late to realize he was tricked by Ares and killed both his wife (the first one) and his daughter.

The village oracle then cursed him to wear the ashes of his dead family on his skin. This is how he got his white skin coloration and the nickname "Ghost of Sparta".

Edited by omarbanzai

58 minutes ago, omarbanzai said:

It's explained in the original God of War on PS2. I've marked it as a spoiler if you haven't played it yet.

Reveal hidden contents

When he was Ares' servant, he and his army came across a village that worshipped Athena. He was then driven by Ares into blood rage and killed all the villagers. In the end, he was too late to realize he was tricked by Ares and killed both his wife (the first one) and his daughter.

The village oracle then cursed him to wear the ashes of his dead family on his skin. This is how he got his white skin coloration and the nickname "Ghost of Sparta".

Guys, I've played all of the games, I know why the skin was supposed to be white in the first place. I was saying I couldn't understand why it looks normal in the new one. Though I guess in the comparison with [antagonist] in the above screenshot, it might not be entirely normal after all. It still was way more noticeable in the previous games.

• Like 1