So, how is this game?

AJ_Radio

1 hour ago, da-Noob123 said:

I really struggled with this game at first but like Henry, I was actually "learning" how to do things. When you first start riding a horse you can't just go straight to a sprint or you will fall off, unlike Skyrim or any other fantasy RPG you don't instinctively know how to swing a sword or an axe. You got to put the work in and my gosh do you get sucked into the game putting in said work. 

I guess this is really the fundamental concept that makes this game unique. You aren’t a hero out to save the world like you are in most games, but rather just a regular Joe Blow peasant, so you have to put the work in to learn skills from the ground up similar to the way you would in real life. It seems this concept is a big part of why people either love or hate the game, but personally I think it sounds like something very unique and I always appreciate a game that does something different. I’m honestly really looking forward to it!

The only thing that turns me off a little is some of the trophies. The Virgin trophy is a good example, I hate these full game length trophies that force you to play a certain way, especially if it’s something like that which forces you to skip a part of the game which is conventionally part of the fun in RPGs (ie. romances). It’s a minor issue, but that’s really the only thing I’ve seen that turns me off at all.

Speaking of stuff like that, do you think it’s better to make some key saves and save scum those kind of storylines after finishing the game or better to just do a whole second run combined with those DLC trophies? Also is there an NG+ system in this game where you can start anew with your skills and whatnot carried over? Just wondering the best way to go about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I guess this is really the fundamental concept that makes this game unique. You aren’t a hero out to save the world like you are in most games, but rather just a regular Joe Blow peasant, so you have to put the work in to learn skills from the ground up similar to the way you would in real life. It seems this concept is a big part of why people either love or hate the game, but personally I think it sounds like something very unique and I always appreciate a game that does something different. I’m honestly really looking forward to it!

The only thing that turns me off a little is some of the trophies. The Virgin trophy is a good example, I hate these full game length trophies that force you to play a certain way, especially if it’s something like that which forces you to skip a part of the game which is conventionally part of the fun in RPGs (ie. romances). It’s a minor issue, but that’s really the only thing I’ve seen that turns me off at all.

Speaking of stuff like that, do you think it’s better to make some key saves and save scum those kind of storylines after finishing the game or better to just do a whole second run combined with those DLC trophies? Also is there an NG+ system in this game where you can start anew with your skills and whatnot carried over? Just wondering the best way to go about it.

I had planned on going for 100% in 2 playthroughs. The first being a completionist do everything run, which was largely successful except for the glitch/ bug/ bane of my existence otherwise I would just need Merciful and Virgin for the platinum. The second run was meant to be a Hardcore run with all debuffs and Merciful Virgin on top. After playing through the game and doing research it is still feasible to do in 2 runs but sounds like I might be tearing my hair out by the end of things. HC was not really meant for a pacifist run so for me I'll do 3 runs, the last being a HC speedrun and the second Merciful Virgin. 

You could save scum on your completionist run for Merciful Virgin but it would probably be an incredibly boring first playthrough. Alternatively, and I do not recommend this, you could attempt a HC Completionist run but I would only recommend that to someone going for the trophy stack and was already experienced with the game. 2 playthroughs is the minimum, 3 probably best for your sanity. There is no NG+.

Edited by da-Noob123

As you could see in the infinite loading screen topic, I also encountered that bug and had to start the game from the beggining just for a few trophies (that bug happens at the start of the last quests). Even with that, I really really enjoyed my time in the game as Henry. It isn't for everyone, but if you can connect with the premise of a 'realistic' medieval game, starting as a nobody incapable of doing a thing and training from zero, you will love it. There are amazing moments and  the game is very well written, I would recommend anyone to give it at least a chance

On 2021-12-14 at 1:01 PM, da-Noob123 said:

I had planned on going for 100% in 2 playthroughs. The first being a completionist do everything run, which was largely successful except for the glitch/ bug/ bane of my existence otherwise I would just need Merciful and Virgin for the platinum. The second run was meant to be a Hardcore run with all debuffs and Merciful Virgin on top. After playing through the game and doing research it is still feasible to do in 2 runs but sounds like I might be tearing my hair out by the end of things. HC was not really meant for a pacifist run so for me I'll do 3 runs, the last being a HC speedrun and the second Merciful Virgin. 

You could save scum on your completionist run for Merciful Virgin but it would probably be an incredibly boring first playthrough. Alternatively, and I do not recommend this, you could attempt a HC Completionist run but I would only recommend that to someone going for the trophy stack and was already experienced with the game. 2 playthroughs is the minimum, 3 probably best for your sanity. There is no NG+.

Damn, it bugs the shit out of me when a really long, complex game like this has multiple game-length trophies that contradict one another. 3 playthroughs sounds like a bit much to me so hopefully I can find a way to do it in 2 without too much frustration. 

In ideal circumstances I would want to do a Completionist playthrough first where I enjoy the story to it’s fullest and let things play out naturally (ie. romances and story choices and such), and then follow up with a speedy 2nd playthrough aiming to mop up trophies like Merciful/Virgin. The problem seems like to be the hardcore trophies making some of these difficult to combine together for convenience sake.

On paper you’d think a hardcore run would actually mesh perfectly with a pacifist run because you avoid combat encounters as much as possible, but is this not the case? Without playing the game yet, it’s hard to get any context for what a HC pacifist run like this would actually entail.

I suppose there’s always the option of leaving the 3 hardcore trophies for a future playthrough since they are DLC trophies, but leaving games unfinished bothers me too lol. I am picky, I know. However, this might be the best way to enjoy the game and trophy list without getting burnt out on it, as well as leaving the door open to return in the future for another run.

I suppose I still have a lot of research to do before I start this one, but I just grabbed the Royal Edition while it’s on sale so now I just have to make time for it. Thanks for all the information man, much appreciated! ?

@dieselmanchild I’m going to be starting the Royal Edition next week and I plan on doing it with 2 playthroughs (barring any game breaking bugs). First will be doing everything possible including all story related DLC and 2nd playthrough will be a speedrun on Hardcore with all modifiers as well as no kills and remaining a virgin so I’ll let you know how it goes. The biggest hurdle is making sure I don’t lock myself out of any missable trophies. I’m hoping that playing it on a PS5 may come in useful with possible bugs/glitches as I played Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, which is known to be quite buggy, on my PS5 earlier this year and almost no issues with it at all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FilmFanatic said:

@dieselmanchild I’m going to be starting the Royal Edition next week and I plan on doing it with 2 playthroughs (barring any game breaking bugs). First will be doing everything possible including all story related DLC and 2nd playthrough will be a speedrun on Hardcore with all modifiers as well as no kills and remaining a virgin so I’ll let you know how it goes. The biggest hurdle is making sure I don’t lock myself out of any missable trophies. I’m hoping that playing it on a PS5 may come in useful with possible bugs/glitches as I played Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, which is known to be quite buggy, on my PS5 earlier this year and almost no issues with it at all.

That’s great man! As always with these big RPGs, the missable trophies are a bit worrisome, but the trophy guides seem pretty thorough in this respect so if you make a note of each of them and keep an eye out it as you play, I’m sure you’ll have no problem. Playing on a PS5 will surely be a really nice experience! 

Just be sure to make a lot of backup saves frequently along the way or before attempting any big trophies/missable, so in the event that something does go wrong, you can hopefully fall back on an earlier one without losing too much progress. This will probably be particularly important on your 2nd run as I believe I read earlier that HC mode disables all auto-saves (among other things), so make sure to keep lots of backups just in case!

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your time with the game! Let me know how your plan of attack works out because if it’s successful I will definitely be copying your strategy. If I don’t hear from you in a few weeks I’ll shoot you a private message so you can fill me in. Have fun!! ?

• Like 2

You can obtain every trophy with just a normal playthrough and then a hardcore one. I would advice some things

- DON'T do anything related to "A woman's lot" DLC. This DLC brings a few quest and the use of a dog as a companion, but don't even use the dog, I didn't do any quest from this DLC but encountered that infinite loading screen just because I used the dog.

- Don't learn how to read until you do the Pribyslavitz DLC, as one trophy ask you to complete the dlc without being able to read.

- Read the description of the trophies for "A woman's lot" DLC, as two of them require to do certain things in the quests of the main game. Just write a list of those things and be careful to complete them.

- In your normal playthrough, do the merciful trophy, as hardcore is easier if you can kill the enemies. Also, leave the virgin trophy for your hardcore playthrough, as some optional quest/trophies require you to... be intimate with a woman, and these are easily avoided if you focus on the main quests in your hardcore run.

- After completing the normal playthrough, do every trophy available, DLCs included, so you hopefully only need to do the 3 trophies from the hardcore DLC and virgin. Hardcore isn't that difficult, but it disables fast travelling and your location in the map, so try to do the trophies in the normal run for your own sanity :P.

And don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any doubt, and have fun!!! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Damn, it bugs the shit out of me when a really long, complex game like this has multiple game-length trophies that contradict one another. 3 playthroughs sounds like a bit much to me so hopefully I can find a way to do it in 2 without too much frustration. 

In ideal circumstances I would want to do a Completionist playthrough first where I enjoy the story to it’s fullest and let things play out naturally (ie. romances and story choices and such), and then follow up with a speedy 2nd playthrough aiming to mop up trophies like Merciful/Virgin. The problem seems like to be the hardcore trophies making some of these difficult to combine together for convenience sake.

On paper you’d think a hardcore run would actually mesh perfectly with a pacifist run because you avoid combat encounters as much as possible, but is this not the case? Without playing the game yet, it’s hard to get any context for what a HC pacifist run like this would actually entail.

I suppose there’s always the option of leaving the 3 hardcore trophies for a future playthrough since they are DLC trophies, but leaving games unfinished bothers me too lol. I am picky, I know. However, this might be the best way to enjoy the game and trophy list without getting burnt out on it, as well as leaving the door open to return in the future for another run.

I suppose I still have a lot of research to do before I start this one, but I just grabbed the Royal Edition while it’s on sale so now I just have to make time for it. Thanks for all the information man, much appreciated! 1f642.png

For the most part the pacifist HC is pretty straight forward but the endgame has a lot battles with heavily armored enemies that you can damage but not kill and they will kill your companion characters if you can't walk the fine line of damaging but not killing them. At least from what I researched. 2 runs is doable but it seems more trouble than it is worth. In the thread about the infinite loading screen Demek said a speedrun should take about 8-10 hours which if you are just doing the main campaign sounds about right if you already know where to go and whatnot. Your completionist run will be 10x longer easily but any subsequent run should be a breeze timewise.

Glad to hear you and FilmFanatic picked it up, this game needs some more love.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

i love the game played last year and platinum #30 and very happy with it, hours and hours of training to become a fighter and all the different quests awesome , cant rate it more...role playing of the highest order , just make time for it i would say to any new starter , make a huge session for a month or 2 and your will be rewarded for your efforts - hardmode is something im thinking of doing, i left it so i could play again...may turn my 200 hours into 400 but i dont mind :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Waspfarmer said:

i love the game played last year and platinum #30 and very happy with it, hours and hours of training to become a fighter and all the different quests awesome , cant rate it more...role playing of the highest order , just make time for it i would say to any new starter , make a huge session for a month or 2 and your will be rewarded for your efforts - hardmode is something im thinking of doing, i left it so i could play again...may turn my 200 hours into 400 but i dont mind :)

Any advice or tips when it comes to the quest trophy? It's the main one that keeps me from going for the Plat; I'd love to take my time with the game but I really don't want to have to rush through it. I don't think I've ever been able to find a proper walkthrough for the Platinum either or at least a full, complete guide on which quests are time sensitive.

13 hours ago, Creasy007 said:

Any advice or tips when it comes to the quest trophy? It's the main one that keeps me from going for the Plat; I'd love to take my time with the game but I really don't want to have to rush through it. I don't think I've ever been able to find a proper walkthrough for the Platinum either or at least a full, complete guide on which quests are time sensitive.

best thing to do is make many many different save files, so if a mistake is made u can reload it at a earlier point, the guides on this website are helpful , for example i should of been at a quest start at 12pm game time and was late and it failed, re-load earlier save ( manual saves by the way ) and had no problem

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, Creasy007 said:

When doing my completionist run I followed the guides on PStrophies.org and on PSNP. The KCD Fandom website is really helpful too. If I recall correctly, you don't actually need to do all quests, more like 80% or so. Completing the DLC's count towards this to. Looking at my trophies, I got Completionist before entering the monastery which is probably 2/3 of the way through the campaign and still had a good amount of side quests to do. 

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 6:42 PM, Creasy007 said:

oh another thing comes to mind , be careful of your actions in game or in towns etc, quest npc's (as the game will warn you) will not speak to you if u perform bad deeds, stealing / harming people and stuff - again from my exp i had 1 town's rep degrade badly for being seen choking a townsperson and to repair the rep took awhile and i needed this npc to like me to carry on the quest ,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cauvuh_Lakrwa said:

If your into history and especially the medieval ages this is a must play. If you're a completionist read the guide first. Still haven't completed this one because of the hardcore playthrough.

I'm currently working on my HC w/ all debuffs run and it's not too hard so far. I am nearing the end of the early game grinding. I.E. Leveling combat skills w/ Bernard, maxing Herbalism to level strength and have plenty of plants to grind alchemy for gold. Plus thievery of course. Just beat the tourney on my first attempt, going to get all 5 pieces of Leipa armor then I will finally go hunting with Sir Hans Capon and probably just blitz the campaign as I have an excellent foundation to work from now.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

I'm currently working on my HC w/ all debuffs run and it's not too hard so far. I am nearing the end of the early game grinding. I.E. Leveling combat skills w/ Bernard, maxing Herbalism to level strength and have plenty of plants to grind alchemy for gold. Plus thievery of course. Just beat the tourney on my first attempt, going to get all 5 pieces of Leipa armor then I will finally go hunting with Sir Hans Capon and probably just blitz the campaign as I have an excellent foundation to work from now.

The hardcore playthrough really wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It sounds like you’re doing everything right — taking some time at the start to build a foundation for your run is essential. As for money, make sure to take advantage of sneaking/thieving and looting shops at night as I found this was by far the best way to make loads of money with the least time/effort involved.

One of the harder parts of HC mode in my opinion is the navigation, but if you paid attention in your first playthrough you should have a pretty good feel for the general areas of the map and should be able to get around without too much trouble. Try to stick to the main roads and paths that are viewable on the map and pay attention to landmarks and the location of the sun as you’re travelling and you shouldn’t get lost too often.

However, one major tip here is to go talk to Berthold at the hunting lodge/archery area IMMEDIATELY when you get to Rattay. He gives you a quest that involves catching a few lost Nightengale birds around the map, and will give you a few cages to use as traps. Ignore the quest, but use the cages! Dropping a cage on the ground will mark the cage’s location on the map where you are standing, which becomes an invaluable trick when you’re out in rural areas and feel a bit lost. It will help you pinpoint your exact location on the map, then you can just pick it back up and continue on your way.

Good luck with the rest of your run! Despite the needlessly complicated trophy list, Kingdom Come Deliverance was one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played, and turned out to be a wonderful experience. It’s been about 7 months or so since I finished and yet I still think of this game often and long for something similar to play. It was an awesome game! ?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

The hardcore playthrough really wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. It sounds like you’re doing everything right — taking some time at the start to build a foundation for your run is essential. As for money, make sure to take advantage of sneaking/thieving and looting shops at night as I found this was by far the best way to make loads of money with the least time/effort involved.

One of the harder parts of HC mode in my opinion is the navigation, but if you paid attention in your first playthrough you should have a pretty good feel for the general areas of the map and should be able to get around without too much trouble. Try to stick to the main roads and paths that are viewable on the map and pay attention to landmarks and the location of the sun as you’re travelling and you shouldn’t get lost too often.

However, one major tip here is to go talk to Berthold at the hunting lodge/archery area IMMEDIATELY when you get to Rattay. He gives you a quest that involves catching a few lost Nightengale birds around the map, and will give you a few cages to use as traps. Ignore the quest, but use the cages! Dropping a cage on the ground will mark the cage’s location on the map where you are standing, which becomes an invaluable trick when you’re out in rural areas and feel a bit lost. It will help you pinpoint your exact location on the map, then you can just pick it back up and continue on your way.

Good luck with the rest of your run! Despite the needlessly complicated trophy list, Kingdom Come Deliverance was one of the best RPGs I’ve ever played, and turned out to be a wonderful experience. It’s been about 7 months or so since I finished and yet I still think of this game often and long for something similar to play. It was an awesome game! 1f642.png

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, I remember you were on the fence about it. 

Yes, the bird cages are most definitely useful for finding where you are on the map especially with the sleep walking debuff, although I am pretty familiar with most areas now. I use the Cockerel potion for energy & nourishment in a pinch to avoid sleeping but I think during some main story missions this debuff is turned off. Ever since I have had the mission to meet Sir Hans to go hunting I have not slept walked - another reason this is the perfect time to grind.

I have Fallout New Vegas in my backlog which also has a similar hardcore mode if you have not played it already Diesel.

• Like 1

On 2022-08-27 at 4:58 AM, da-Noob123 said:

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, I remember you were on the fence about it. 

Yes, the bird cages are most definitely useful for finding where you are on the map especially with the sleep walking debuff, although I am pretty familiar with most areas now. I use the Cockerel potion for energy & nourishment in a pinch to avoid sleeping but I think during some main story missions this debuff is turned off. Ever since I have had the mission to meet Sir Hans to go hunting I have not slept walked - another reason this is the perfect time to grind.

I have Fallout New Vegas in my backlog which also has a similar hardcore mode if you have not played it already Diesel.

Thanks! Yes I had wanted to check this one out for awhile but I did a ton of research first because I was a bit put off by the overly complex trophies and the fact people seemed to have such polarizing opinions about this one. Like you either love it or hate it kinda thing. Thankfully I ended up loving it and count it among my favourite RPG experiences to date. It’s just such a unique game, there is nothing else like it on the market as far as I know. Thanks for answering my questions back then. ?

I really need to check out some Fallout games because I haven’t played anything since Fallout 3 and that was way before I got into trophy hunting. I’d love to add some to my list and see how the series evolved.

Good luck finishing your run man.

Edited by dieselmanchild
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LadyGallethX3 said:

The base game is on Ps Plus Extra, but also seeing the Complete Royal Edition now on sale for super cheap $5.99 if a plus member. Just for dlc alone, that is worth it, right? Thinking of taking the plunge!

YES. The DLC for this game add new missions and explain some parts of the story in more detail, they are a great, and for that price, buy then without doubt.

Just keep in mind one thing. One of the DLC, “A woman’s lot” can bug your playthrough; there is a point in the game, just near the end, when the game refuses to load after a certain cutscene (you get trapped in an infinite loading screen), and if happens if you have started this DLC. It’s best to avoid EVERYTHING related to that DLC, even the dog companion, before finishing the base game. I had to replay the game from the beginning and the only thing I did was bringing the dog to hunt with me, and just for that…it wasn’t a great feeling…

That said, it’s one of the best game I’ve ever played, please don’t hesitate and give it a chance!

• 1 month later...

Honestly, it has to be the most immersive single player game I have ever played. I don't even mind the bugs or slow loading times, it's that good to me. Even the combat can be fun once you understand how it works. I really hope more people give this game a chance.

Hopefully a sequel is in the works. With a cliffhanger like that, there has to be.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I put about 90 hours into it before I decided I had had enough of rpgs for a bit and wanted to play something different. I still hadn't barely scratched the surface, and it's one of those games where I wish I had just stick with it, due to the controls being how they are. I had got used to all the systems, sword fighting was coming along nicely then I tried to pick it up again a few weeks back after about 6 months and I had forgotten how everything worked. It's a shame as I really don't want to have to start it again.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently playing it on PS5 after playing it a bit on PC. The story so far is interesting and the game-play isn't terrible. Some mechanics could use some work and the horse can be more annoying than Witcher 3 at times. If you plan on running around in a more Skyrim sense be prepared to be disappointed. It seems like literally every object has collision tied to it one way or another. Most bushes you'd be able to walk through you end up having to jump over or go completely around. The worst thing I have experienced so far is a bug that STOPS you from finishing the story. For me the game gives an infinite load screen at the beginning of the Cold Steel, Hot Blood. I'm pretty pissed as I've spent 90 hours on my current play-through. Looking through forums some say it's due to playing the DLC before finishing the story which is odd considering it's supposed to be an open world with different ways to do things. Prior to finding a bug that massive I would have given the game an 8 or 9 but after running into a bug so obvious without a patch I'd give it a 4 maybe a 5. The only thing that really saves it for me is the story and how well they did the world building and overall atmosphere.

As for the trophies the game offers a nice challenge for those that want a rare platinum so if you wanna deal with some aggravation to get it I say go for it. If you want a game that works properly and you can play how you want while earning a platinum this isn't it.