Kittet's Trophy To-Dos

Kittet3

Just now, kingofbattle8174 said:

I like the idea of just focusing on just a small portion at a time. Sometimes when you see a whole list it can be a little overwhelming. Good luck to you.

Thank you! I got the idea from participating in some of the events on site and seeing how much more motivated I was when I had a single game or group of games to focus on. It also goes along with the concept that humans are happier with fewer choices (like 2 ice cream flavors vs 20)

Stand-Up Update 1:

Milestone: PSN Level 32!

{Book of Unwritten Spoilers}

I played a good portion of 'Book of Unwritten Tales 2' yesterday and I'm at close to the last section of the game. I really like the game, but my favorite parts are in the beginning of chapter 1. Wilbur is a really interesting main character and a truly 'flawed hero' type and that really draws me to him. The most impactful scene is after the first chapter and Wilbur realizes he messed up and it's his fault the evil girl takes over. He lives in the rat's bed for days, too depressed to move or interact, until he's talked into taking responsibility for what happened and convinced that part of that responsibility is to try to fix things. I found this impactful because it really gave a good life lesson in a more realistic light then normal life lessons in games happen, as well as shows depression in a more relatable light. 

Pirate Poker was an annoying trophy to get, especially since my controller kept "sticking" and not letting me choose options some rounds. I found it easiest to try and get the pirate into a situation where he had to say 'five of a kind' and then accuse him of cheating. Even then, it was two-to-two before I won, so a lot of this trophy was up to chance. 

1 minute ago, Cassylvania said:

I like the plan. That's what I try to do too -- no more than four active games at any time. Might be worth trying to knock out the easy/short games first.

Not sure I understand the ice cream analogy, though. I'll take 20 flavors of ice cream over two any day... 1f366.png

Thanks! I'm trying to keep a mix of short and medium games on my sprint backlog so I can use the shorter games as breaks between the longer ones. Finishing the shorter ones also help me stay motivated that I'm actually making progress.

The ice cream analogy is an experiment that was done when people went to ice cream shops. At one shop, people had 20 flavors to choose from and at another shop, there was only 2 or 3. The study found that people were happier with their decision when there were only a few flavors to choose. I don't remember where I heard about the study from, but it always stood out to me and I think of it when I'm struggling to make a decision.

Hello.

Since I will be starting my own personal checklist/trophy journal in a couple of days (when I finally have some time to sit down and get into it), I thought it'd be a good idea to start following some of the checklists around here. ^_^

So... I see you said you played mostly SNES and N64 when you were younger. The N64 was my first console ever. I still cherish it to this day. Every now and then I like to turn it on and play a couple of games for some good old nostalgia. Some of my favorites games are Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark, TLoZ: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and Super Smash Bros. to name but a few. Which games did you enjoyed the most on that console?

Let me know what you think of Papo and Yo when you play it. Bought that game a long time go after hearing many positive critics around it but I haven't had any motivation to start playing the game as of yet. ?

I will be checking the progress on your thread every now and then.

• Like 1

Just now, Honor_Hand said:

Hello.

Since I will be starting my own personal checklist/trophy journal in a couple of days (when I finally have some time to sit down and get into it), I thought it'd be a good idea to start following some of the checklists around here. ^_^

So... I see you said you played mostly SNES and N64 when you were younger. The N64 was my first console ever. I still cherish it to this day. Every now and then I like to turn it on and play a couple of games for some good old nostalgia. Some of my favorites games are Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark, TLoZ: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 and Super Smash Bros. to name but a few. Which games did you enjoyed the most on that console?

Let me know what you think of Papo and Yo when you play it. Bought that game a long time go after hearing many positive critics around it but I haven't had any motivation to start playing the game as of yet. 1f605.png

I will be checking the progress on your thread every now and then.

Hello and welcome!

I loved Super Mario 64 and played that to death, even though I had absolutely no idea what I was doing half the time. I also played too much Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium (the old one and the new one) and I dabbled in 'Hey You! Pikachu', but I have a decent accent so Pikachu had trouble understanding me. (She never did made a stew to Bulbasaur's satisfaction) And of course, Mario Kart racing and Diddy Kong Racing. When I got older my parents got another N64 at a garage sale and I played Ocarina of Time (I even had the official strategy book I followed) and loved it, although I don't think I ever got to finish it. I never played Banjo-Kazooie, unfortunately, and Star Fox never interested me much. 

I actually already did one playthrough of Papo and Yo, I just have to do a cleanup since the game requires two. It's not super amazing gameplay wise, but the symbolic story is really thought-provoking so I recommend doing at least one playthrough of it.

I'll make sure to check out your checklist when you get it up!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

Hello and welcome!

I loved Super Mario 64 and played that to death, even though I had absolutely no idea what I was doing half the time. I also played too much Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium (the old one and the new one) and I dabbled in 'Hey You! Pikachu', but I have a decent accent so Pikachu had trouble understanding me. (She never did made a stew to Bulbasaur's satisfaction) And of course, Mario Kart racing and Diddy Kong Racing. When I got older my parents got another N64 at a garage sale and I played Ocarina of Time (I even had the official strategy book I followed) and loved it, although I don't think I ever got to finish it. I never played Banjo-Kazooie, unfortunately, and Star Fox never interested me much. 

I actually already did one playthrough of Papo and Yo, I just have to do a cleanup since the game requires two. It's not super amazing gameplay wise, but the symbolic story is really thought-provoking so I recommend doing at least one playthrough of it.

I'll make sure to check out your checklist when you get it up!

SM64 is AWESOME. I think it is one of the few games out there that I have completed like a bazillion 10 times, 120 stars and everything. Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 were great as well. Had a good time with the minigames and the battles, games were way more exciting to play once you transfer your Pokemon from the old GB games into it. Hey, You Pikachu was a nightmare for me, I remember getting the game years ago thinking about how cool would have been to command Pikachu and then been massively disappointed because the critter never understood I think that I said. Then again, I'm a Spanish speaker and my English level as a child wasn't that great but still lol.

Thanks for your opinion on Papo and Yo. I'll try to check it out eventually.

• Like 1

Retrospective 1:

1S1d469c.png

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 [PS3]

This was my second time playing this game- the first time I played it on the PS4 after getting it in a Humble Bundle. When this version came out for PSPlus, I was a bit disappointed because it's quite a long game and I didn't think I would ever actually want to sit down and play it again. But, with the help of the Spring Fling event, I completed it, although it took a bit longer than the 6 days I completed the first one in.

The humor in this game is really what draws me to it as the characters keep some self-awareness about them that this is a game. An example is a shopkeeper who says he will give us what we need if we get him 10 wolf pelts. We ended up finding one and giving it to him, and then stealing it back 9 times and regifting it. In the end, the shopkeeper asks what we learned and Wilbur comments that "gathering quests are a waste of time". There's a bunch of this type of humor sprinkled into the game which makes it really fun to listen to.

Final Thoughts

Difficulty: 2

Enjoyment: 7

Stand-Up Update 2:

I made a lot of good progress yesterday!

Asemblance: I found a good (okay, decent) video guide and I got all but the white shift ending. The white shift ending involving doing a sequence of events at very specific seconds apart from each other and it's trickier then it should be for a 70 cent game. I don't understand any of the story in this game besides I think something happened to my wife? 

Minecraft Story Mode:  I completed chapter 3! I'm really surprised on how much I enjoyed this game. A while back I played the free first season of alot of Telltale games and Minecraft really stuck out to me, mostly because of Reuben. I love Reuben. 

Clicker Heros: I prestige for the third time. Not much to report.

Yasai Ninja: We completed the jumping level in only about 25 deaths each! I really hope the co-op trophy pops for me and doesn't glitch so I can fly through the jumping levels solo on pro mode.

Today I'm going to try and finish up Asemblance and perhaps get Papo and Yo going for the Spring Fling event. My partner and I are going to complete probably just one more level in Yasai Ninja tonight since it looks like another difficult exploration one where we will probably be getting lost lots. 

Edited by Kittet3
  • Like 1

Retrospective 2:

9See059e.png

Papo and Yo [PS3]

It may have taken 3 years (and a month) for me to finish this six-hour game, but I am happy I waited so I could experience the story a second time. The first time I played, I got the play the game with no tips trophy glitched because I had used chapter select to get a trophy I missed, so my second playthrough was a full one. This put me off playing it, but I now realize you basically have to do a full playthrough to get all the hats anyway, so it wasn't the huge deal I was making it out to be.

This game is about the author's life of having an alcoholic father and him coming to terms with it. He does so in a really round-a-bout way with the game being full of symbolic relations (his father is a monster and the alcohol is frogs). I wasn't the biggest fan during my the first playthrough because I thought the game lacked a really convincing explanation of what was going on. During my second playthrough, the ending really hit me as the game explained the relationships and I think I rushed through that the first time. I think it would have been even better if there was a clear explanation of where the boy was in his life now - Did he finally get away from his father and this is his way of coping? Or is this years later and he's battling PTSD? I also wanted a clear explanation of who that girl was and what she symbolized. 

Trophy-wise, it's pretty straight-forward. The only annoyance is that the collectibles can't be gathered until you complete a playthrough. Even though the game is symbolic, knowing the symbols don't add a lot to the gameplay, so I thought that was rather unnecessary.

Final Thoughts:

Enjoyment: 7/10

Difficulty: 2/10

Thanks for your take on Papo & Yo Kittet3. :)

I'll be sure to not use chapter select when I play this game. I was planning to do a regular playthrough without paying much attention to the trophies and then a second one focusing on the hats and then cleaning up everything I may have missed.

I owe you a reputation point for your post. Seems like I'm always short on them. :|

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honor_Hand said:

Thanks for your take on Papo & Yo Kittet3. :)

I'll be sure to not use chapter select when I play this game. I was planning to do a regular playthrough without paying much attention to the trophies and then a second one focusing on the hats and then cleaning up everything I may have missed.

I owe you a reputation point for your post. Seems like I'm always short on them. :|

No problem! 

Always make sure to press continue when you go back into the game or it messes up the no-tips trophy (also don't use tip boxes :P). Everything else can be easily cleaned up while going for the hats. The puzzles are not at all tricky, but I would recommend reading the first paragraph of the trophy guide on PSPT so you do have a bit of background knowledge on the game because I think that adds to the story more than being completely blind. I don't think reading that took anything away from the ending and you probably already heard enough bits and pieces of the story that you have a basic idea of the premise. 

Lol, no worries. I always seem to run out too. I just can't keep them in supply. :dunno:

Stand-Up Update 3:

Milestone: 75 Day Trophy Streak!

Slow day because I had to study for my final this morning, but I just thought I would celebrate that I beat my personal best of a 74 day trophy streak and I am currently on a 75 day trophy streak. :highfive: I hope to continue it, but I'm doing a bit of traveling this summer, so we'll have to see how it goes with flying and everything.

Yasai Ninja: Had a strange glitch where my partner and I died and the screen stayed black. We were still in the game since we got controller feedback when we moved, but the graphics just wouldn't return, even if we died a second time. We called it a night after that, so we'll have to see how it behaves this time around.

Loadout : I picked Loadout as the next game on my list. Even with the 100 hour trophy, I think it will be a fun game to play when I have an odd ten minutes here and there. I got to level 5 easy enough and my partner will probably join to help me with the campaign.

Minecraft Story Mode: I'm super sad this is almost done, only 1.5 chapters left and then the DLC. I have season two, but I think I may wait a bit between seasons just because I have alot of longer games on my list.

Clicker Heros: Found a strange bug where, if I change the date without closing the application, the game bugs out and activates all my powerups indefinitely. It's useful, but it's still a slow slog to level up.

EDIT: So I took a long look at my backlog and got worried that I wasn't getting a diverse set of games. I went through and added categories to each of my backlog spaces and changed the games around a bit. I'm still experimenting to see how I like it.

Edited by Kittet3

Stand-Up Update 4:

Milestone: 5 trophies per day!

I changed up my to-do list to ensure I am playing a larger variety of games.

Minecraft: Story Mode:  How do I make a spoiler tag. I'm going to need a spoiler tag for this.

HOW COULD THEY KILL REUBEN! I cried. I'm crushed. He was the reason I purchased Minecraft season 1 and 2. Season 2 is going to be awful without him. They couldn't even give him a respectful death, they MADE HIM INTO PORKCHOPS. 

Yasai Ninja: We finally got to the final level! (Also, my partner had to admit I was the ultimate ninja since I died less than him). We plan on finishing the final level tonight and then working on gathering the scrolls. Depending on if the coop trophy pops or not, we might do a hybrid coop, solo approach for pro mode. The sequel to this game is available on sale, but for some reason, my partner's response to getting that game was a resounding NO. :hmm:

Clicker Heros: Still clicking.

Loadout: Super addicting and tons of fun. I'm not too worried about focusing on leveling up or doing the campaign since I need 100 hours anyway.

Furmins: This was a recent addiction since I needed a VITA game. This reminds me alot of the mobile game "Cut The Rope", which I enjoyed. It's super easy and getting 3 stars haven't been an issue.

Flower:  I'm on the final level. I do have some bonus flowers to clean up and I had a weird glitch on the second to last level where it kicked me to the main menu and said I finished it without letting me actually finish it, so I didn't get my bonus flowers I gathered.

• Like 1

Stand-Up Update 5:

So this is more like an announcement update, but I just got accepted to work and study in South Korea for 10 weeks this summer! I'm super excited as I haven't ever been outside my state for over 8 days, so 70 days is going to be a big change. 

Why this is relevant is that I will not be taking my consoles with me besides the vita, so my gaming habits will be changing. I still hope to continue my trophy-a-day streak, but I probably won't be keeping a small backlog of games like I am now, but rather I will just have my vita backlog available. I'm also considering getting Playstation Now while I'm abroad so I can play games on my PC, but I won't be making any final decision on that until I get there. 

I will be updating my first post with my VITA backlog in the upcoming weeks before I leave and I will also be looking at suggestions for both easy quick trophies to get on busy days, as well as longer games to play during a plane ride!

• Like 3

Congratulations! I bet you are super excited for having a chance to visit South Korea. I wish you good luck and a lot of success in those 10 weeks you will be living there. I hope I can continue to hear from you every now and then.

Wish I could have any Vita game to recommend to you but the truth is that I don't even own one yet. But, who knows, I may get one in the next couple of weeks and do some research on it so we can compare and recommend some games to each other ha ha ha ?

Cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Congratulations! I bet you are super excited for having a chance to visit South Korea. I wish you good luck and a lot of success in those 10 weeks you will be living there. I hope I can continue to hear from you every now and then.

Wish I could have any Vita game to recommend to you but the truth is that I don't even own one yet. But, who knows, I may get one in the next couple of weeks and do some research on it so we can compare and recommend some games to each other ha ha ha 1f601.png

Cheers!

Thank you so much! I'm halfway between excited and terrified atm. I just got the final word on my start date, so I only have a week to prepare since I'll be visiting my partner for a week right before the trip, and there's so much to do in that week including actually get mentally prepared for the trip! I still plan on having stand-up updates here every few days- it'll just probably be during the opposite side of the clock!

The VITA has so many good games. I often don't give it the time it deserves, so it'll be different just to be focusing on its games. I'm kinda hoping I can still connect to my PS4 via remote play with it- I did it yesterday during work and it was nice to be able to watch Minecraft since it was a slow day.

Thanks for being my most avid reader- here's a free penguin ?

• Like 1

Retrospective 3:

8Sa9401c.png

Asemblance

Finally got to white shift! A couple notes if you still have issues with you- you have to quit out to the main menu after every attempt, not just press triangle. I got it using the method where I watched the clock and opened the drawer when it turned to 2:19 and then started a stopwatch as soon as it turned 2:20. With this method, I got it the first time. For the other methods such as playing the video walkthrough while doing it or starting the stopwatch when I selected that mission, I couldn't get it to pop even after multiple attempts.

As for this game, I played 80-ish cents for it and I still feel ripped off. It would have been a nice demo for something if it had anything notable to demo, but as it is it was a poorly done walk-around-these-few-scenes game. I think it has some type of sci-fic story like Ether One, but I didn't understand it and there wasn't much to explain it to me. There's not much to interact within the world and if you almost need a guide to understand how to progress, especially for the white shift ending which involves doing a sequence of things in order by the second. It's a bit of the shame since from what I did gather from the story, it could have been amazing.

Final Thoughts:

Difficulty: 1/10

Annoyance: 7/10

Enjoyment: 0.5/10

Next game:

For the 'Less than 10 hours' category, I was really stuck between "Submerged" and "Rain". Submerged is a more exploration based game, whereas Rain is a puzzler. I finally decided upon "Rain" since I already started it and it's been on my profile for a long time. My first impressions of Rain was less than ideal- the chapters felt dragged out and the forced screen configurations made some puzzles more confusing than others. I haven't decided if I'm going to restart my playthrough of Rain since it has been 3 years and I don't remember the controls, or if I'll just finish the second half since I have to do a collectible playthrough anyway. :dunno:

• Like 1

LOLed at the 7/10 score on annoyance. xD

Since you said your first impression after coming back to Rain wasn't exactly pleasing, I'd suggest finishing the second half first and then go for the collectibles on another playthrough.

I usually prefer to start a new playthrough if I have too much time without playing a game I've started before. However, if said game is considerably long or not exactly fun to play, I'd rather continue from where I left off.

What kind of games do you like to play Kittet3? I went over your profile and I noticed you like to play mostly puzzle-adventure-type-of-games. Did I guess that right? (Can't remember the exact name of the genre at the moment ?). I couldn't recognize a good chunk of the games though.

Would you accept suggestions for future games to play on your Scrum Board? ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Honor_Hand said:

LOLed at the 7/10 score on annoyance. xD

Since you said your first impression after coming back to Rain wasn't exactly pleasing, I'd suggest finishing the second half first and then go for the collectibles on another playthrough.

I usually prefer to start a new playthrough if I have too much time without playing a game I've started before. However, if said game is considerably long or not exactly fun to play, I'd rather continue from where I left off.

What kind of games do you like to play Kittet3? I went over your profile and I noticed you like to play mostly puzzle-adventure-type-of-games. Did I guess that right? (Can't remember the exact name of the genre at the moment 1f636.png). I couldn't recognize a good chunk of the games though.

Would you accept suggestions for future games to play on your Scrum Board? 1f607.png

I forgot to mention that, whenever I started up that game, my PS4's fan went on so forcefully I wouldn't have been surprised to see smoke. It was good that it was a shorter game.

I was leaning towards just finishing out the game as well, especially since it looked like I was about halfway through. Rain is short, but with the second playthrough being mandatory, I don't think I'll miss out on anything.

That's actually a pretty tricky question :hmm: I try to play every genre (besides sports, because I gave up on trying to understand those). I do think I lean towards more of the action-adventure type of games, although I feel like that is such a generic genre. My game design passion is about using game mechanics to help tell a story, so I gravitate towards indie games as well since they tend to be shorter and take more design risks. (And I honestly can't pass up buying a game for less than $5 on sale, especially if the difficulty is under 4 and the length is under 15 hours) My favorite game of all time is Three-Fourths Way Home with Thomas Was Alone as a close second and those are both indie games with different types of mechanics used to advance the story.                 

I encourage suggestions! I know the link to my backlog in the first post is kinda hard for people to see what games I own, but I do have quite a few of them also booted up on my PSNP profile. One of the things I've been trying to improve on is playing more of my games and not getting stuck on playing the shortest ones just to get them out of my list.

EDIT: I'm just silly, I edited the backlog into the first post. It didn't take as long as I thought it would :P

Edited by Kittet3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

I forgot to mention that, whenever I started up that game, my PS4's fan went on so forcefully I wouldn't have been surprised to see smoke. It was good that it was a shorter game.

I was leaning towards just finishing out the game as well, especially since it looked like I was about halfway through. Rain is short, but with the second playthrough being mandatory, I don't think I'll miss out on anything.

That's actually a pretty tricky question :hmm: I try to play every genre (besides sports, because I gave up on trying to understand those). I do think I lean towards more of the action-adventure type of games, although I feel like that is such a generic genre. My game design passion is about using game mechanics to help tell a story, so I gravitate towards indie games as well since they tend to be shorter and take more design risks. (And I honestly can't pass up buying a game for less than $5 on sale, especially if the difficulty is under 4 and the length is under 15 hours) My favorite game of all time is Three-Fourths Way Home with Thomas Was Alone as a close second and those are both indie games with different types of mechanics used to advance the story.                 

I encourage suggestions! I know the link to my backlog in the first post is kinda hard for people to see what games I own, but I do have quite a few of them also booted up on my PSNP profile. One of the things I've been trying to improve on is playing more of my games and not getting stuck on playing the shortest ones just to get them out of my list.

Hmmm, so you are open to playing every genre just as long as it is not a sports game. :hmm: (We are in the same boat on those ones...)

Since I get most of my games in physical form, I don't dabble too much in the store for Indie games so I really don't know which ones I should recommend. I was thinking about recommending Guacamelee! and Okami HD. The first one doesn't actually have a gripping story but I thought the combat mechanics and platforming were done exceptionally well. Also, the whole setting and the humor help in carrying the game towards the end. And Okami HD because, well, that's like one of my favorites games ever. Action-adventure at its finest with a charming story and a beautiful art style. Only thing is that the game is kinda long, not ultra long but definitely more than 15 hours.

Not sure if you would be able to play those games remotely on your Vita while you are in South Korea?

• Like 2

i told myself the same thing your partner did

im not playing yasai ninja’s sequel

the first game was terri-bad!!

its worse than orc slayer but others might disagree but thats just my opinion 

i was actually here to say dont even play the first one until i read further that you’ve already started it lol

• Like 2

Retrospective 4:

1S31d4ab.png

36 Fragments of Midnight (PS4)

The procrastination to study for my math final tomorrow is real :P For an easy platinum, this was actually a pretty solid game. It's basically a randomly generated platformer where you have to gather all the shards and return to base. The think the shame of this game is that it's only one level- if they made a whole 30 level campaign of this it would be a fairly respectable platformer. I got most of the trophies when I bought the game, but I was having trouble with not dying and getting frustrated because "this is supposed to be an easy game, I shouldn't have to actually try at it". After getting over my ego, I practiced on the vita version a few months ago and, coming back to the PS4 one, it was a cake walk.

Final Thoughts:

Difficulty: 2/10

Enjoyment: 5/10

Next Game: King Oddball will be taking the PS4 Game space on my scrum board!

12 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Hmmm, so you are open to playing every genre just as long as it is not a sports game. :hmm: (We are in the same boat on those ones...)

Since I get most of my games in physical form, I don't dabble too much in the store for Indie games so I really don't know which ones I should recommend. I was thinking about recommending Guacamelee! and Okami HD. The first one doesn't actually have a gripping story but I thought the combat mechanics and platforming were done exceptionally well. Also, the whole setting and the humor help in carrying the game towards the end. And Okami HD because, well, that's like one of my favorites games ever. Action-adventure at its finest with a charming story and a beautiful art style. Only thing is that the game is kinda long, not ultra long but definitely more than 15 hours.

Not sure if you would be able to play those games remotely on your Vita while you are in South Korea?

Thanks for the amazing suggestions! For Guacamelee, my partner and I really enjoyed that game! After I make him suffer through the rest of Yasai Ninja, I think he wanted to play Knack 2, but then we plan on continuing Guacamelee! 

For Okami, I almost forgot about that game! I started it, but then I joined the "Kill Your Backlog" event and I got lost in the big open prairie at the start of the game. I have the PS3 version, so I couldn't play it remotely, but I'll certainly make that my next PS3 game to play when I get back. I really liked the part that I did end up playing.

11 hours ago, Property_Damage said:

i told myself the same thing your partner did

im not playing yasai ninja’s sequel

the first game was terri-bad!!

its worse than orc slayer but others might disagree but thats just my opinion 

i was actually here to say dont even play the first one until i read further that you’ve already started it lol

I have yet to play Orc Slayer, but my partner did, so I'll see what his takes on the worst game ever is. The sequel is actually worse than the first game and so hard that no one actually got the platinum (one trophy is for playing the whole game with one life). We just beat the game once and the co-op trophy didn't pop :( So now we're going have to do a one-run co-op pro run after we find the scrolls.

• Like 2