Some GT5 Shots

Memnoch

Gran Turismo should change its title from "The Real Driving Simulator" to "The Real Photography Simulator", afterall the driving physics are awful. Nice shots dude.

Compared to what, exactly? I'll be the first to admit that the physics aren't perfect and they have quite a ways to go to match PC sims (especially in the tire models) but to say they're "awful" is a bit of an overstatement, in my opinion. GT5 is regarded as the best console sim almost unanimously and there are plenty of people, both sim racers and real life racers who can attest to the realistic physics.

Out of curiosity, do you play with a wheel or DualShock? If you use a wheel, which one? I'm not trying to change your opinion as you're obviously entitled to it, just curious is all.

Parker

• Like 1

Compared to what, exactly? I'll be the first to admit that the physics aren't perfect and they have quite a ways to go to match PC sims (especially in the tire models) but to say they're "awful" is a bit of an overstatement, in my opinion. GT5 is regarded as the best console sim almost unanimously and there are plenty of people, both sim racers and real life racers who can attest to the realistic physics.

Out of curiosity, do you play with a wheel or DualShock? If you use a wheel, which one? I'm not trying to change your opinion as you're obviously entitled to it, just curious is all.

Parker

To be fair GT5 kicks all other consoles out the water - if I hadn't missed a 6 month interval, I'd still be playing it - these pics were just to show how beautiful GT5 can be :)

Edited by leprodigalson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Parker

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been around for a while and I only just checked my notifications.

Yeah I'll be honest, I exaggerated a little and I should have added that it was only my opinion, but to say that Gran Turismo is unanimously the "best console" sim is debatable. Gran Turismo 5 just feels stiff and lifeless in my opinion and lack any real personality  the cars don't react to bumps and curves in the road surface the way I would expect them to, the tyre model is in dire need of an upgrade (as you said) and so many problems from the previous games remain unchanged, like the unrealistic gear changes and lack of torque steer. I'm not saying Forza is a perfect sim, because it isn't, but it doesn't suffer from the same issues GT5 does, Forza 4 is the better game in my opinion. It feels like a more consistent and complete package when compared to GT5, which just felt rushed and didn't really feel like a significant upgrade, despite the ludicrous development time.

Gran Turismo 5 does have it's own advantages, dynamic day and night transitions, weather, rally (which wasn't utilized enough in GT5 unfortunately), a better online lobby system and a huge selection of cars (inconsistent in regards to physics, detail and damage though). Some may argue that both of those things are totally cosmetic or don't really matter, and that physics come first, which I don't agree with in the slightest.

Both games have their disadvantages and advantages. I don't really want to turn this into a Forza vs. GT flame war, because honestly I enjoy both games and I feel that Kaz and Dan are both trying to achieve different things with their respective franchises, I just felt slightly underwhelmed by Gran Turismo this generation. Hopefully that will change with the PlayStation 4. :)

To answer your question, I use a DS3, but I have played the game with a wheel before.

Nice pics! I done quite a few myself but I wouldn't say as good as these. I usually use the static photo mode as im always forgetting to save the replays :$

Exactly, I never remember to save them even though sometimes it would be worth it :P (my special events golds xD)

• Like 1

Looks awesome, with that said are GT5's graphics better than GT5 Prologue? My brother got that game and I was so underwhelmed by the graphics after seeing incredible screenshots like the ones you have above.

Looks awesome, with that said are GT5's graphics better than GT5 Prologue? My brother got that game and I was so underwhelmed by the graphics after seeing incredible screenshots like the ones you have above.

Prologue has better shadows, textures and more track side detail, such as grass, etc. Plus the steering animation is also considerably better looking. The differences are really not that noticeable in motion though, and unless you're really nitpicky they don't matter that much. The shadow quality was my only real issue with GT5 compared to Prologue.

Prologue (Left) vs. GT5 (Right):

gtrv.png

Edited by AndroidFox
  • Like 1

From your screenshots, GT5 does look significantly better, but maybe that is just me. :D

Prologue has better shadows, textures and more track side detail, such as grass, etc. Plus the steering animation is also considerably better looking. The differences are really not that noticeable in motion though, and unless you're really nitpicky they don't matter that much. The shadow quality was my only real issue with GT5 compared to Prologue.

Prologue (Left) vs. GT5 (Right):

gtrv.png