Is EA out to frustrate customers on purpose?

AnRoDr

We just installed our brand new gaming PC and started to install games on it, some older some newer. 

I started with these and it installed without any troubles:

S.M. Railroads

Rollercoaster Tycoon series 

North vs South

Then it went south ... I tried to install these:

Battlefield 2

Spore

The Sims 3

Notice that all the games giving me troubles are from EA! All of them have problems with the activation codes, Origin accounts, patches that don't download or install ... the list goes on and on!! I never had any real issues with EA on console, but on PC they suck big time! Every game I tried to install from them gave me a headache or simply doesn't work! 

Every game was purchased the legit way in a store and none of them are secondhand. The have only been installed once on my former PC, but they have been removed the correct way before installing on my new PC, same as the other games that didn't give me troubles. The only difference between the games that work and the ones that don't is that the ones that refuse to work as it should are all from EA!!!

You know what EA: (CENCORED) you!!!!! 

Rant over ....  :angry:

I didn't had any problems with the games itself, but I had an issue with my Origin account.

Well, wasn't much of an issue. Actually it wasn't anything, because I couldn't even log into it :P

Let's see... apparently they used to handle EA accounts, then they made this Origin thing. Well, they are the same thing now, and apparently the console makes you an EA account of some type when you play any game... no idea, I'm not even sure I understand what's happening. Anyway, Mass Effect 3 can be linked to two iPhone apps for example and I can do things that will affect the game... and I have the apps, but I couldn't do it because I don't know what the heck is my Origin account in the PS3. Since I can't access my old e-mails (I had a lot, some must have an EA account) I've never been able to figure out which is the Origin account I'm (in theory) playing on console..

What's the point of making this service to link things and access... when just logging in is impossible?

To not go fully off-topic... I played Spore once on a friend's PC and didn't had any trouble, although I don't know about his process of installation and stuff (maybe there was some EA-related anger that I'm not aware of, but the game did work properly)

Edited by Playsonic2

Can you expand a little on the issues you are having? I have owned all 3 of the games you have mentioned so I might be able to help.

Battlefield 2 simply refuses to run after a succesfull installation. The game states that I need to run the patches as an admin whilst I already am logged in as the admin?

Both Spore and The Sims3 are running, but without acces to some of the online services because my activation code can't be verified ...

I think that we'll be playing EA games on console only, that will make my life easier  :lol:

Its why they are voted as one of the worst companies in America

Two years in a row they've been voted worst company in America. While I don't agree with that, I would rank them as one of the worst, in not the worst, GAMING company, but certainly not worst company overall.

Parker

• Like 2

Two years in a row they've been voted worst company in America. While I don't agree with that, I would rank them as one of the worst, in not the worst, GAMING company, but certainly not worst company overall.

Parker

Firsthand, I have had three issues "escalated" through EA and each time I've gotten useless apologies, late feedback (over two months for one response in Batllefield 3!!!) and never got a resolution. Never. Their customer service is less than nothing; it would be better to call a disconnected customer service number than to give issues to an uninterested drone who will sit on it for 2 months without getting you a resolution. I am so unhappy with them that I absolutely refuse to buy another EA product brand new; I make it a point to buy their games used so the profits go to the store, NOT EA.

I am interested to know how they got voted worst company in America though . . .

Nevermind, found it. They won the Golden Poo award two years running, most recently beating Bank of America and Carnival Cruises. Congratulations EA, very well deserved!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/10/electronic-arts-worst-company-consumerist_n_3052000.html

Edited by Bullstomp
  • Like 1

Parker

This hits it exactly.  There are far worse thing that other companies ARE doing than EA for them to win WCIA.  Sure they suck as a gaming company, but they are not the worst in America.  People need to get their priorities straight.

• Like 1

After the whole Sim City DRM fiasco, they are going to have a fat lot of trouble gaining customer's trust back. The fact they said it would be impossible to run without DRM, and then a code monkey managed to delete a measly 3 lines to make the game perfectly functional without it.

EA is a monster. I hate their business model, I hate them.

Battlefield 2 simply refuses to run after a succesfull installation. The game states that I need to run the patches as an admin whilst I already am logged in as the admin?

For this, Windows Vista/7 (and 8 I think) have UAC - so sometimes you need to actually install as admin, even if you are logged on as an admin - silly? yes, but that's because less savy people will install anything ...

EA really aren't great, but they do get more crap thrown at them then they deserve - end of the day, don't buy if you aren't happy and they will change. Seeing that they sell millions of copies of each game, for them and the shareholders, they aren't doing anything wrong

Is this a new term? Because I myself like to rant sometimes it relieves alot of stress.

Not a new term, just me keeping the forum kiddie friendly by cencoring my curses  :awesome:

For this, Windows Vista/7 (and 8 I think) have UAC - so sometimes you need to actually install as admin, even if you are logged on as an admin - silly? yes, but that's because less savy people will install anything ...

EA really aren't great, but they do get more crap thrown at them then they deserve - end of the day, don't buy if you aren't happy and they will change. Seeing that they sell millions of copies of each game, for them and the shareholders, they aren't doing anything wrong

Install as admin whilst being logged in as admin ... I'll have to google that one  :unsure:

But as many of you stated EA is not all that bad. They sell heaps of games so obviously they are making good stuff, but a little consumer-friendly and easier to use PC related attitude on their part would be an improvement. 

Right click on a program, you'll see what I mean ;) (run as administrator)

Sometimes life can be so simple that we miss the obvious  :lol:

Thanks for the help man, I'll try it later when I get off work. Will I be able to patch too when I install it as an admin?