PS3 can't find IP address

giggedy

Yesterday I tried to log in to PSN with my PS3 but it had lost connection to the internet. I tried to reconnect but the PS3 can't find an IP address each time. I have tried connecting using Easy and Custom methods, I have tried resetting my router, I have restored my PS3 to factory settings, I have tried changing the channel of my router, ensuring media connection is disabled and nothing works. Each time the wifi is detected and has a signal strength of 100% but for some reason, it shows up 2 or 3 times on the list. When I put in the password it takes a long time then says 'the key information exchange timed out. The WPA key you entered may not be correct.'

It is worth noting that there is no problem for my iphone or PS4 and no one else has mentioned problems with another iphone, ipad or amazon fire. My laptop can also connect but for last few days the connection some time drops which I think must be connected.

Any ideas of what is going on and how to fix it?

This happened to me once. My PS3 just randomly decided it couldn't find an IP address, so I tried switching to wired connection, and it connected just fine. I switched back to wireless and that worked again too. No idea how or why this worked, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks, guys but no need. It is fixed

In case your are interested...I found out this morning before work that the iPad and amazon fire also had problems that I wasn't aware of as I don't use them and I noticed that a couple of times in last few days my PS Vita needed to be signed in manually. When I got in from work I was told there were no further problems so I retried the PS3 and it has seemed to work but I haven't tested it yet. It looks like it was the router maybe despite not really having the same problems with the other devices that the PS3 had. 

Sorry for the waste of time and thanks anyway.

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

This is now happening to me. I'm on a wired connection for the time being, but it's really for my TV. Not sure if I have another Ethernet cable lying around somewhere. I'll try wireless tomorrow.

So it's not getting an IP address on wireless, but it is on a wired connection through the same router?

If you have lots of extra family members on the same network, your DHCP is probably overworked. This can happen around major holidays if you're not monitoring the amount of devices grabbing onto your network.