Is WWE 2K18 worth getting?

Maahniac

First off, I have a Platinum trophy in every WWE game, except WWE 2K18. The game simply did not look exciting enough for me to get, when it came out. And I got seriously burnt on WWE 2K17's excessive grinding in MyCareer and online. I couldn't stand another WWE game then. 

But... 

It is kinda cool having a platinum in all WWE games, and 2K tend to shut down servers after 1,5 years on the market, so if I want to keep my streak, I should probably get WWE 2K18 now, where it's heavily discounted. 

However, if it is anything like WWE 2K17 in terms of grinding, I simply can't put myself through it. The trophy guide says 100 hours (which sounds bad), but I've read several places that it's a more casual trophy experience than 2K17. 

What would you say? Is it as grindy? Is it a better game? Is it pretty much the same? 

On 8/10/2018 at 4:18 PM, Maahniac said:

First off, I have a Platinum trophy in every WWE game, except WWE 2K18. The game simply did not look exciting enough for me to get, when it came out. And I got seriously burnt on WWE 2K17's excessive grinding in MyCareer and online. I couldn't stand another WWE game then. 

But... 

It is kinda cool having a platinum in all WWE games, and 2K tend to shut down servers after 1,5 years on the market, so if I want to keep my streak, I should probably get WWE 2K18 now, where it's heavily discounted. 

However, if it is anything like WWE 2K17 in terms of grinding, I simply can't put myself through it. The trophy guide says 100 hours (which sounds bad), but I've read several places that it's a more casual trophy experience than 2K17. 

What would you say? Is it as grindy? Is it a better game? Is it pretty much the same? 

I just got the platinum trophy for WWE 2k18 today, this game and it is VERY grindy and boring due to the grind. I have platted WWE 13 legit, and if you remember how dumb the trophy for reaching max rank online was, in my opinion this grind for the game is even more stupid and boring. Do NOT buy this, unless you want to torture yourself and get a platinum out of it. You will not have fun playing this for the plat. Only way you can have fun is playing against friends and even that can get old fast, just like other similar wrestling games. I did not own WWE 2k17 so I can't compare it to WWE 2k18, but I have done the WWE 13 plat legit so I know all about doing a grind on a WWE game. Also, I believe the 100 hours estimate is way too low, unless you actually boost the online trophies.

Edited by HesterKRGod

On 18/8/2018 at 2:03 AM, HesterKRGod said:

I just got the platinum trophy for WWE 2k18 today, this game and it is VERY grindy and boring due to the grind. I have platted WWE 13 legit, and if you remember how dumb the trophy for reaching max rank online was, in my opinion this grind for the game is even more stupid and boring. Do NOT buy this, unless you want to torture yourself and get a platinum out of it. You will not have fun playing this for the plat. Only way you can have fun is playing against friends and even that can get old fast, just like other similar wrestling games. I did not own WWE 2k17 so I can't compare it to WWE 2k18, but I have done the WWE 13 plat legit so I know all about doing a grind on a WWE game. Also, I believe the 100 hours estimate is way too low, unless you actually boost the online trophies.

Thank you very much for your reply! Well, that's what I feared :(

And yes, I remember the WWE '13 online bullshit. It is the single worst trophy experience I've had. I actually swore to never play a WWE game again after that, but then the trophy list for 2K14 was released, and looked much more casual, so I was hooked again. 

But again, thank you. I'll stay away from 2K18 then. 

Hi, I'm the guy who wrote the guide. I see they already answered you, but I still want to say my opinion. 

It was a hell of a grind, especially Online and in MyCareer... But I had a little fun, really. Winning Matches Online became easier and easier because my character improved after every Match, and for the grind in MyCareer, all I did to make it less boring, was listening some music while doing the promos and the secondary missions. A great grind but still a great satisfying platinum

But trust me, don't get crazy for some trophies, if you know you're not going to have fun, don't buy it

Edited by KenjiCBZ
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Maahniac said:

Thank you very much for your reply! Well, that's what I feared :(

And yes, I remember the WWE '13 online bullshit. It is the single worst trophy experience I've had. I actually swore to never play a WWE game again after that, but then the trophy list for 2K14 was released, and looked much more casual, so I was hooked again. 

But again, thank you. I'll stay away from 2K18 then. 

No problem dude! Yeah, all I can say is you won't have any ounce of fun for this game solely going for the plat, it's unfortunate they literally had to make it this grindy for no good reason. I'm not even sure I would have went for the plat if I didn't buy the game at a higher price than I should of, considering how long it took for me to actually start up the game, but I guess I was a sucker for it being a WWE game, since I've been watching for many years. Sometimes it's better to just move on and if that means missing out on a WWE plat, then so be it. I didn't realize the game would be this grindy unttil I got pretty far into doing everything else, it was probably my only motivation for actually finishing this game. Also, the lack of plat achievers, I just don't think there was sufficient info for me to make a judgement call whether to go for it or not. I promise you that for most people it's just not worth going for.

• Like 1

Well OP you did better than me, I had the Plat in all the WWE games as well, buy 2K16 killed it for me. I grinded through 2K17's MyCareer for about 100 hours...only to realize...I hadn't even started the Online yet, which takes yet another 80-100 hours to finish. I gave up, I couldn't do it anymore...the Plat wasn't worth my sanity.

So the same happened with 2K18, I have a majority of the trophies, but I'll never Plat it. I'm not going to torture myself for a Platinum. Having fun is more important. So I've had a lot more fun with 2K18 without having to worry about Platting it. But I still wouldn't say it's a great game. 

Wrestling games have really lost something over the years. I can still load up an emulator and play the hell out of No Mercy...but 2K18 it's like a couple matches then I'm done. So much so that I've been considering skipping 2K19 this year...the games have gotten as bad at the real thing.

Looking at Fire Pro instead.