Xbox 720 won’t require an always-on connection

ReverieCode

So, the rumors of the next Xbox needing permanent internet connection (which we've been talking about here, in some topics) have spread through internet.. but apparently it won't happen.

Microsoft: The Xbox 720 won’t require an always-on connection to play games

The internet has been abuzz for months with rumors about Microsoft’s next Xbox requiring an always-on connection. Everyone started hand-wringing about the negative implications, and it even led to a Microsoft employee losing his job after mouthing off on Twitter. Well, it seems as if all the worrying was for naught because a recently leaked internal memo makes it clear that a connection won’t be required for all activities.

Today, Ars Technica is reporting that the next Xbox will play games, run Blu-rays, and show live television without an active connection to the internet. Supposedly, this information comes directly from an email sent to all full-time members of the Xbox team. While this is far from official confirmation, this does line up quite well with information that’s been going around since the Adam Orth story exploded. The prevailing theory is that Microsoft had planned to make the console require an always-on connection, but the near-universal blowback has forced its hand. Instead of unveiling the Xbox 720 last month, Microsoft was compelled to delay the announcement until May 21.

Perhaps even more interesting than the offline game play is the Blu-ray and television support. Famously, Microsoft bet on HD-DVD with the Xbox 360, and that ended poorly when Blu-ray took off in the market. It’s surprising to see Microsoft using Sony’s disc format instead of developing a different high-capacity disc standard à la Nintendo. At this point, it’s worth it to pay the fee instead of giving the PS4 a leg up in checklist comparisons. Less surprising is the idea of the Xbox 720 serving as a cable box. Microsoft’s partnerships with cable companies has been widely discussed in the last few months, and we can expect subsidized Xbox 720 packages from the Comcasts and Verizons of the world. Hopefully, this will be a better solution than the half-assed IPTV streaming solution Microsoft has in place with the 360.

We’re only fifteen days away from the Xbox 720 unveiling event, so we’ll know soon enough if any of this is legitimate. If Microsoft actually took cues from the massive consumer outcry, this might be one of the few times the rumor mill actually accomplished something positive. Even if Microsoft sticks to its guns in the end, the PS4 will definitely support offline play, so disconnected gamers will have an outlet no matter what. Everyone can relax now.

Source: ExtremeTech

and it even led to a Microsoft employee losing his job after mouthing off on Twitter

Thank you.

a connection won’t be required for all activities

Yeah not All of them, just when playing games and or watching movies.  :|

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Microsoft are still going to force you to have a Gold account if you want to watch Netflix (which you already pay for) browse on their awful internet browser or use countless other apps. That is one big issue I have with the 360 and I hope that Microsoft reconsider it for the Nextbox.

I always doubted that Microsoft would make an online only console. They have made some pretty stupid mistakes, sure, but no way in hell are they stupid enough to be connected to the internet to play your console single player games. The whole gaming community has seen how terrible it is when implemented in games, so to force your next gen console to do it would be absolutely insane.

Parker

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Microsoft are still going to force you to have a Gold account if you want to watch Netflix (which you already pay for) browse on their awful internet browser or use countless other apps. That is one big issue I have with the 360 and I hope that Microsoft reconsider it for the Nextbox.

I always doubted that Microsoft would make an online only console. They have made some pretty stupid mistakes, sure, but no way in hell are they stupid enough to be connected to the internet to play your console single player games. The whole gaming community has seen how terrible it is when implemented in games, so to force your next gen console to do it would be absolutely insane.

Parker

I expect Microsoft will get rid of the current subscription system and allow Silver members to play online and use applications, they will probably make Gold something akin to PlayStation Plus.

I expect Microsoft will get rid of the current subscription system and allow Silver members to play online and use applications, they will probably make Gold something akin to PlayStation Plus.

That would be the best way, by far, for Microsoft to change Live! but I doubt we'll see much change to the current system. The Xbox is still the highest selling current gen system in America so I don't see Microsoft changing anything unless the PlayStation 4 takes a huge percentage of their current customer base.

Parker

That would be the best way, by far, for Microsoft to change Live! but I doubt we'll see much change to the current system. The Xbox is still the highest selling current gen system in America so I don't see Microsoft changing anything unless the PlayStation 4 takes a huge percentage of their current customer base.

Parker

And Microsoft only care about America

Hopefully they fix the disc destroying tray issue

And Microsoft only care about America

Hopefully they fix the disc destroying tray issue

Huh? :huh:

That's taken care of since... well, don't know the date, but like forever.

It was only one of the used trays from the first generation that even had that problem. (As far as I know anyway; never heard of the problem beside from that)

I had an XBox from the first generation, that run forever and didn't do anything to my discs.

(I got me the Star Wars XBox, so my old one is only backup by now)

Huh? :huh:

That's taken care of since... well, don't know the date, but like forever.

It was only one of the used trays from the first generation that even had that problem. (As far as I know anyway; never heard of the problem beside from that)

I had an XBox from the first generation, that run forever and didn't do anything to my discs.

(I got me the Star Wars XBox, so my old one is only backup by now)

Nope, hasn't been taken care of. On the 360 Slim, if you even slightly move the console while a disc is playing it absolutely destroys it.

Parker

Nope, hasn't been taken care of. On the 360 Slim, if you even slightly move the console while a disc is playing it absolutely destroys it.

Parker

But that's not an Xbox error, but general error.

If you move anything with an disc in it (DVD-payer, Xbox (360), Ps1/2/3) it can destroy discs.

I moved pretty much everything when a disc was running for some reason, and was always aware, that it could damage the discs. So far I got lucky; but I only do it, if really necessary, so not often at all.

Edit: And in all honesty: What the dude in the video does, is not "slightly" moving something!

No surprise, that the disc gets destroyed!

When I say, I moved my consoles and players, I mean I lifted them like a couple of millimeters!

Edited by Latikos

But that's not an Xbox error, but general error.

If you move anything with an disc in it (DVD-payer, Xbox (360), Ps1/2/3) it can destroy discs.

I moved pretty much everything when a disc was running for some reason, and was always aware, that it could damage the discs. So far I got lucky; but I only do it, if really necessary, so not often at all.

Edit: And in all honesty: What the dude in the video does, is not "slightly" moving something!

No surprise, that the disc gets destroyed!

When I say, I moved my consoles and players, I mean I lifted them like a couple of millimeters!

I've moved all my PlayStation consoles numerous times while they were playing a game to no ill effect and it has often been more movement than in the video. I don't own a Slim 360 but I know a few people who do and I've personally witnessed one destroy a disc by slightly bumping it. The video I posted is a little extreme (it was an IGN video from when the Slim 360 came out) but they still destroy discs even with very slight movement.

Parker

Well, all discs from a friend are fine and he moves his console all now and then as well.

Not as bad as in the video but worse then I do.

Anyway, I heard from tons of people, who destroyed their DVDs and games due to moving the player/ console. And not only 360 consoles.