Deadly Obsession Difficulty

sword_of_omens

Deadly obsession is a joke on NG+...yes there are some annoying sections, but it felt like a breeze.
make sure you buy large ammo pouches, full ability plants like focus,perception,etc.
also full upgrade the 4 weapons you will be using on DO. also purchase the best skills such as the one which disables the slipping mechanism of the game during platforming.and then start NG+

use focus and perception all the time during combat.
also make sure you are fully loaded before the last boss as he can be annoying af.

Edited by bboysunny93
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's not hard at all, it is definitely annoying with the absent of some checkpoints, making you repeat a whole 15 min section and the irregularity of climbing mechanics, I died more times trying to jump than getting killed by an enemy lol.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 06/10/2020 at 9:16 PM, sword_of_omens said:

Only one that really frustrated me as far as chase scenes go was the one at the end of Cenote...it does a stupid camera transition right at the beginning of the chase and the input from the controller during the panaround had me turn right back into the enemies and get insta-killed....

I just did exactly this!  So fucking annoying to have to go so far back after that.  

• Like 2

The difficulty mode isn’t exactly hard, it’s entirely doable. However, it ruins the entire point of the game, the exploration, crypts and tombs. You don’t want to do them on DO as it’s just poor in terms of its difficulty, the campfires outside of hubs are far too spread apart from one another and the sheer amount of backtracking of you die is a joke, and you’ll die a lot doing the tombs and crypts as they’re not the easiest thing.

im sadly stuck struggling through on DO with the DLC tombs and I honestly believe CD should have disabled the DO modifiers inside of them. They’re hard as hell, haven’t got a single checkpoint, you have to do it perfectly. It ends up completely ruining the DLC’s, I’m having no fun doing them because of it. ROTR handled its hardest difficulty right as there were plenty of campfires and tombs weren’t so damn long so it wasn’t as bothersome. Hopefully in future editions they’ll make tombs just have checkpoints either way.

DO ruins the entire game honesty, it’s poorly thought out, badly balanced and makes the game a shell of what it ought to be. They’re bad developers in terms of difficulty. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Just got the plat and I must say, deadly obsession is super easy especially if done on NG+. The lack of checkpoints is annoying because the only thing that can ruin your run in any particular section is the platforming. 9/10 times you die not because of your fault or lack of skill but because Lara decided to not grab a ledge or the game decided that she was not gonna make the jump etc.

I didn't get killed in any of the combat encounters including the final boss (AI is dumb AF) but died a few times from climbing that made me redo 30+ mins of gameplay (Cenote, freeing Unuratu..)

I actually put this game off for 2 years cuz I wasn't in the mood at the time but had I known how easy it was, I would've cleaned it up much sooner lol.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2023 at 2:11 AM, vonheindrich said:

The checkpoints on DO are absolutely ridiculous make it through the entire Belly of the Serpent in Paititi just to then have to redo it all because it miss one jump in the chase scene after

Can atest, the checkpoint system is ass. Im fucking stuck there too because 1st time i got eaten by some pirahnas and 2nd time I missed a jump 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally got this done more than two years after initially starting the game. I'd gotten about 1/2 way through my DO run back in 2020 and died to some cheap death stumbling nonsense during the chase sequence after the Cenote puzzle and I just sort of decided I was done with it at that point. For whatever reason I decided to jump back in yesterday, and I was able to finish off the story without much trouble, getting the Platinum.

As others have mentioned, it's the platforming that can really mess you up. Lara has a tendency to just not grab things at times, so being 40 minutes into a chapter and having her miss a jump when you pressed the right button at the right time can get really irritating very quickly, especially if it happens more than once. The actual combat on DO difficulty isn't that hard, so really it's the limited checkpoints and platforming errors that make it take so long and make it so potentially frustrating.

For those who are having difficulty, who need a refresher, or who just want to get an idea of what's involved in each chapter before replaying it, this YouTube playlist from Seraphim17 is very helpful. 

• Like 3

After completing everything else on easy I would recommend a separate new game run, so this time you know the traps and what the game can throw at you, and just moving for main goal makes it more manageable. The cenote and oil refinery felt the hardest for me.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm going through this mode on NG+ and the horrendous and unresponsive controls are making me want to break my controller. Nothing like getting all the way through a tedious mission to just have the dumb bitch not grab the ledge or make a full jump and fall to your death and have to start all the way over. FML.

Edited by Justin__Harris
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you're like me and played your first playthrough on Deadly Obsession than you'll want to do the opposite of the guides for the DLC tombs and instead start with the Time Attack, then Score Attack from the Main Menu, as you'll only suffer a time penalty for Time Attack, but likely still get the trophy/achievement, whereas if you're doing it via the Side Mission the brutal saves, or lackthereof will make them a frustrating mess.

• 7 months later...

I found that you really need to utilize your perception, endurance and focus skills in DO difficulty.  A lot of other resources are pretty limited, but there's always bushes, mushrooms and underwater plants around to replenish resources for these skills.  Perception really helps in stealth encounters since you don't have your survival instincts anymore.  And focus can help give you a breather and headshot enemies.   The checkpoints can suck at times, but I really think this is the most rewarding way to play the main story