Deadly Obsession - Tips and Tricks

FranciRoosters

If you're doing it on a first playthrough, take your time, examine the environment, and don't rush your jumps. If it's a second playthrough this hardly matters because you already know where to go. For combat, take it slow and try to use stealth as much as possible - if you do get caught, rush for cover and either try to get back into hiding or take the more risky approach of treating it like a gunfight to pick off whoever is left. Remember that you can craft molotovs with glass bottles lying around, this'll set any enemies caught in the explosion on fire which is an insta-kill, and you can stay hidden while doing so as well. Great way to take out crowds.

There's also a chain stealth kill sill which comes in very handy, I can't remember the name of it but I think it's one of the green skills?

Overall it's not very difficult, only some late-game stealth sequences gave me trouble (especially since there were no saves for quite a while for some of them.) I'd also personally recommend exploring the tombs and crypts on Deadly Obsession, if it's your first playthrough. While not necessary, on a first playthrough the tombs and crypts are especially engaging and actually feel deadly on Deadly Obsession, something that adds a lot to them that you wouldn't necessarily get on a lower difficulty where death isn't punished. That's where this game shines most imo.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, madbuk said:

If you're doing it on a first playthrough, take your time, examine the environment, and don't rush your jumps. If it's a second playthrough this hardly matters because you already know where to go. For combat, take it slow and try to use stealth as much as possible - if you do get caught, rush for cover and either try to get back into hiding or take the more risky approach of treating it like a gunfight to pick off whoever is left. Remember that you can craft molotovs with glass bottles lying around, this'll set any enemies caught in the explosion on fire which is an insta-kill, and you can stay hidden while doing so as well. Great way to take out crowds.

There's also a chain stealth kill sill which comes in very handy, I can't remember the name of it but I think it's one of the green skills?

Overall it's not very difficult, only some late-game stealth sequences gave me trouble (especially since there were no saves for quite a while for some of them.) I'd also personally recommend exploring the tombs and crypts on Deadly Obsession, if it's your first playthrough. While not necessary, on a first playthrough the tombs and crypts are especially engaging and actually feel deadly on Deadly Obsession, something that adds a lot to them that you wouldn't necessarily get on a lower difficulty where death isn't punished. That's where this game shines most imo.

Thanks! And I'm sure this question has been already asked, but can I do my Deadly Obsession run on NG+ and keep all of my skills?

But to be honest deadly obsession requires some sort of luck too. There are missions in paititi that are 2 hours plus long without a single camp fire including very easy to fuck up platforming sections. The game has a glitchy climbing mechanic and chances are high to not register your inputs. Combat sections with the right upgrade and good tactics become easy. I still haven't  finished my first playthrough but platforming sections are the hardest for me.

• Like 2

@FranciRoosters It's a play-style only for NG+. You'll get new set of outfits, skill and weapon according to each style. You'll get all reward for the style you have choose on NG+ (you'll get outfit, weapon and 3 skill for free according to your play-style choosen) but don't worry you still get the other style item.

Yep, you can select any difficult in NG+

For skill, it's a new 3 skill for each style. You can upgrade the skill when you have purchased all the skill in that category. (Each skill need 4 point to upgrade)

For weapons and outfits you can purchased at the first merchant at Kuwaq Yaku (each item need money around 7000+)

Eagle Style (Outfit & Weapon)

Jaguar Style (Outfit & Weapon)

Serpent Style (Outfit & Weapon)

Edited by CrimsonRose157

I'm currently about halfway through my Deadly Obsession playthrough on New Game+ and honestly it has been a breeze so far except for one puzzle where I died a few times when platforming. Just make sure to save at every campfire and be very careful on every platforming section as they can be a little buggy at times, if your playing on New Game+ like me ignore all Tombs/Crypts and focus on main storyline. Combat is pretty simple in the first half of the game so you shouldn't have any problems. Going to hopefully finish the second half tomorrow, the end boss fight will definitely be hard so probably best to stock up on ammo and health beforehand.

Edited by DharmaDan

20 hours ago, DharmaDan said:

I'm currently about halfway through my Deadly Obsession playthrough on New Game+ and honestly it has been a breeze so far except for one puzzle where I died a few times when platforming. Just make sure to save at every campfire and be very careful on every platforming section as they can be a little buggy at times, if your playing on New Game+ like me ignore all Tombs/Crypts and focus on main storyline. Combat is pretty simple in the first half of the game so you shouldn't have any problems. Going to hopefully finish the second half tomorrow, the end boss fight will definitely be hard so probably best to stock up on ammo and health beforehand.

Thats awesome. Just started the game today and was wondering about the skills carrying over. 

On 2018-09-16 at 4:03 AM, CrimsonRose157 said:

@FranciRoosters It's a play-style only for NG+. You'll get new set of outfits, skill and weapon according to each style. You'll get all reward for the style you have choose on NG+ (you'll get outfit, weapon and 3 skill for free according to your play-style choosen) but don't worry you still get the other style item.

For skill, it's a new 3 skill for each style. You can upgrade the skill when you have purchased all the skill in that category. (Each skill need 4 point to upgrade)

For weapons and outfits you can purchased at the first merchant at Kuwaq Yaku (each item need money around 7000+)

Do know what the Eagle skill are? Ive got the Jaguar and Serpent but i cant see the Ealge skills since i dont have all blue skills yet.

I just played through the first hour of Deadly Obsession and it's actually crazy how tense it made the swimming sequences, I guess being able to die really amped everything up lol.

Also, out of curiosity, what happens if you make a manual save between campfires? I assume you can't cheese your way through it and it sends you back to the beginning of the checkpoint anyway right?

Edited by Pokedude97

19 minutes ago, Pokedude97 said:

I just played through the first hour of Deadly Obsession and it's actually crazy how tense it made the swimming sequences, I guess being able to die really amped everything up lol.

Also, out of curiosity, what happens if you make a manual save between campfires? I assume you can't cheese your way through it and it sends you back to the beginning of the checkpoint anyway right?

The manual save not work Deadly Obsession. If you dead, you need start again from camp base u saved.

Edited by unknownds
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, XxraymanjrxX said:

Thats awesome. Just started the game today and was wondering about the skills carrying over. 

Yeah I ended up completing it last night, managed to beat the final boss on my first try, just kept shooting him in the head with the upgraded assault rifle and pistol (kept my distance from him so I didn't use the shotgun that much). There was a couple of tricky missions where you are not able to save for a while in the second half of the game. This happens around missions 12 (Eye of the Serpent) to 14 (Rebellion Lives) and missions 15 (Last Emperor) to 16 (Downpour). I believe you do get a checkpoint near the end (Mission 19) but I can't confirm this, some guy on YouTube who also completed Deadly Obsession said this.

Edited by DharmaDan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, FranciRoosters said:

Almost at the end of my Deadly Obsession run. Definitely a challenging one, frustrating at times, but I've been enjoying the story a lot more now. If I may say so myself the hardest bit was Cenote.

I just finished Cenote. The combat part was easy (just abused focus/endurance mix) and so was the chase sequence but i died 7 times after cause lara refused to grab ledges. I died probably 15 times in my DO run so far and every single one has been because of Lara not doing what she is supposed to. Happened to me all the time on easy aswell. It says alot about a game when all your deaths come from the AI that is supposed to grab the ledge but instead bounces of the wall and dies.

Lara reaches for the ledge and you think its safe but you are wrong she just decides to commit suicide instead. 

In Uncharted when Nathan reaches for a ledge he grabs it 100% of the time. That is how it should work, that's a developer that puts some love and hard work into their games.

Also died in the tsunami section a few times when you should grab the lightpost and swing across she always grabbed it but didnt swing long enough. Thankfully you got a checkpoint right at the start of that.

Edited by Quink666

18 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

I just finished Cenote. The combat part was easy (just abused focus/endurance mix) and so was the chase sequence but i died 7 times after cause lara refused to grab ledges. I died probably 15 times in my DO run so far and every single one has been because of Lara not doing what she is supposed to. Happened to me all the time on easy aswell. It says alot about a game when all your deaths come from the AI that is supposed to grab the ledge but instead bounces of the wall and dies.

Lara reaches for the ledge and you think its safe but you are wrong she just decides to commit suicide instead. 

In Uncharted when Nathan reaches for a ledge he grabs it 100% of the time. That is how it should work, that's a developer that puts some love and hard work into their games.

Also died in the tsunami section a few times when you should grab the lightpost and swing across she always grabbed it but didnt swing long enough. Thankfully you got a checkpoint right at the start of that.

How did you get across the Oil Fields? I always get spotted.

7 minutes ago, FranciRoosters said:

How did you get across the Oil Fields? I always get spotted.

I have not gotten to that part yet, just finished Cenote, I took me like 4 hours to get through that until i reached a campfire.

But if you use the ranged or melee damage clothing and a endurance "potion" i would assume you could just breeze through that section guns blazing. Also get the NG+ skill Damage Reduction after any kill in jaguar tree helps in combat.

With all these defensives i can take 3 melee hits if im using the melee damage clothing piece.

Can take several arrows from enemies in Cenote before beeing in grey state.

So if stealth doesnt work just go crazy and spray and pray.

And remember to use the skill to booby trap dead bodies if you wanna stealth and have to kill enemies.

Edited by Quink666

45 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

I have not gotten to that part yet, just finished Cenote, I took me like 4 hours to get through that until i reached a campfire.

But if you use the ranged or melee damage clothing and a endurance "potion" i would assume you could just breeze through that section guns blazing. Also get the NG+ skill Damage Reduction after any kill in jaguar tree helps in combat.

With all these defensives i can take 3 melee hits if im using the melee damage clothing piece.

Can take several arrows from enemies in Cenote before beeing in grey state.

So if stealth doesnt work just go crazy and spray and pray.

And remember to use the skill to booby trap dead bodies if you wanna stealth and have to kill enemies.

Made it! Key is patience and a little bit of luck.

On 9/15/2018 at 10:03 PM, CrimsonRose157 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Would Jaguar be the best to do? I'm still on my easy first playthrough, so I've a ways to go. 

The third person cover trick still works in this game. Stand behind a wall instead of taking cover and you can hit them easily. (especially for those underground creatures with bow)

Whenever your cover is blown run and hide somewhere, they lose youl pretty fast but remember they search in groups so be careful.

Use mud in oil field mission as it keeps you safe from being discovered by goggle equipped enemies while you are in bushes.

The chain takedown skill (forgot the name) is a beast. If you plan correctly you can kill 2 enemies in one attack and it makes stealth sections very easy. If you are on ng+ then you probably have it.

For creatures use an upgraded bishop shotgun, it’s 2 shot kill weapon and stuns them most of the time.

And for the last boss or just whenever you are fighting with guns use defense herbal, it sometimes saves your life by tanking a little bit more damage.

Combats are very easy to manage and doable. The only hard part is platforming cause it’s very glitchy and buggy when it comes to grab detection

Jaguar’s fear poison arrows are strong. It usually kills two people( the poisoned guy and another random dude). I really recommend it for near the end fight in San Juan mission.

That's all i can say about this mode

1 hour ago, Armored Squirrel said:

Would Jaguar be the best to do? I'm still on my easy first playthrough, so I've a ways to go. 

It really doesn't matter. Most people will find jaguar the best but I did my run with eagle skills cause I wanted to check the bolt action rifle and I was not fully upgraded. If you full upgrade before ng plus, all other ng plus related skills will automatically unlock.

Edited by MrMike1377

You can stealth that whole section right up to the point you are forced to stop.

A great way of prolonging stealth is to fear arrow the thermal guys. Takes them out of play and they can take a few along with them.

With them gone it's easy to chain stealth take-down the remaining folks as long as your are patient.

If you do break stealth, find cover, chug a ALL your potions, and just lay into them. I wouldn't bother with the shotgun unless they are already too close.

Just finished the run and got the platinum, that was awesome. I really only died probably 6 times and 4 were from falling, once for messing up an enemy encounter, and once on the final boss. The final boss was pretty much me just running around constantly popping perception/health/endurance.

I never used any of the L1 skills or any of the special ammo types in my first run, it felt like I was playing a lite version of the game before.

Edited by Pokedude97

I didnt read what people read but coming from someone that played it;

Combat is really dumbed down, so as long as you dont think you are john rambo the mode is a cake walk in terms of combat...

But platforming and the climbing part are the most frustrating then, all i can say is take your time and dont rush it because doing a tomb multiple times because of an error not made of you really sucks out the fun

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:55 AM, DharmaDan said:

Yeah I ended up completing it last night, managed to beat the final boss on my first try, just kept shooting him in the head with the upgraded assault rifle and pistol (kept my distance from him so I didn't use the shotgun that much). There was a couple of tricky missions where you are not able to save for a while in the second half of the game. This happens around missions 12 (Eye of the Serpent) to 14 (Rebellion Lives) and missions 15 (Last Emperor) to 16 (Downpour). I believe you do get a checkpoint near the end (Mission 19) but I can't confirm this, some guy on YouTube who also completed Deadly Obsession said this.

Well i played Rise of TR and started out on survival. It was alot easier than i expected. Well except the helicopter battle took a few tries. Might go for collectibles and misc trophies first then DO run. Game looks amazing