Enemy Scaling?

Just curious, as I've noticed this for what I've played so far, do the enemies in this game scale with your own level? Or is it possible to out level enemies? At least, it seems like these enemies are scaling to my own level so far, but I could be mistaken as I'm still in the first area right now.

31 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Just curious, as I've noticed this for what I've played so far, do the enemies in this game scale with your own level? Or is it possible to out level enemies? At least, it seems like these enemies are scaling to my own level so far, but I could be mistaken as I'm still in the first area right now.

They do scale with you to a point like say ur level 20 and u go back to the starting island the enemies will have scaled up but are still afew maybe 2-3 levels below u so you can outlevel your enemies but they do scale along with u so u shouldn't ever find super low level enemies but they aren't going to stay on ur level.  

They did it like this so u can feel a sense of power and achievement but also let the enemies still be worthy of fighting if that makes sense

1 hour ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

They do scale with you to a point like say ur level 20 and u go back to the starting island the enemies will have scaled up but are still afew maybe 2-3 levels below u so you can outlevel your enemies but they do scale along with u so u shouldn't ever find super low level enemies but they aren't going to stay on ur level.  

They did it like this so u can feel a sense of power and achievement but also let the enemies still be worthy of fighting if that makes sense

Fair enough on that part.  What of the mercenaries? Same deal with them? Or do they stay at a certain level? Just to make sure.

15 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Fair enough on that part.  What of the mercenaries? Same deal with them? Or do they stay at a certain level? Just to make sure.

I'm not completely sure about them I've only seen them at/slightly higher or lower/ or massively higher than me but I'd assume they would scale or just not show up to fight lol I have afew below me on the Merc page that says unfound but then again the ones I've defeated or converted seem to vanish off there after abit

11 minutes ago, majob said:

Does difficulty have an affect on the levels of enemies? I'm playing on Nightmare now and it just feels like enemies are constantly on par with me in terms of level

Doesn't seem like it, I'm on normal and they're either my level or higher than me.  Usually my level regardless at the very least, though other than mercenaries (which I saw one which is way out of my league to fight), there are a select few that are like, 2 or 3 levels higher than myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

If so, that would be nice.  But I shall find out eventually when I get further into the game :D

Well I'm just going off the fact that none have been lower level than me and I've killed quite a few.

4 hours ago, Feral said:

Pretty sure the mercenaries stay at the same level.

Whether mercenaries stay at the same level you're at or not isn't helpful because in order for you to become the first mercenary (if you're going for the related trophy, of course), you can only level up by beating mercenaries that are stronger than you.

21 minutes ago, FranciRoosters said:

Whether mercenaries stay at the same level you're at or not isn't helpful because in order for you to become the first mercenary (if you're going for the related trophy, of course), you can only level up by beating mercenaries that are stronger than you.

True but once you're within a couple of levels of them, you can take them down.

Gotta get to level 50 anyway so you'll be right getting to the top tier of mercenaries.

3 hours ago, Feral said:

Gotta get to level 50 anyway so you'll be right getting to the top tier of mercenaries.

Yeah, they need to be a couple of levels up, not down.

Yeah, but say you're not close to the top 2-3 tiers yet. There's no point in levelling up to 50 if you still need to get to the top of the Mercenary list. You won't go up the Mercenary list if you're level 50 because all of the other mercenaries will either be level 50 or lower, so you won't go up the list. Make sense?

1 hour ago, FranciRoosters said:

Yeah, but say you're not close to the top 2-3 tiers yet. There's no point in levelling up to 50 if you still need to get to the top of the Mercenary list. You won't go up the Mercenary list if you're level 50 because all of the other mercenaries will either be level 50 or lower, so you won't go up the list. Make sense?

I think he means you need to get to level 50 regardless for the level 50 trophy itself.  But I'm understanding the mercenary thing, and it sounds like each of them needs to be defeated in order to move up in the list.

Though that dude on the first island is no longer on the list and instead, anther one is in his place whom I have not seen right now.

But it's good to know they stay a certain level along with these cultists (whom I have yet to see or know about in the game).

15 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I think he means you need to get to level 50 regardless for the level 50 trophy itself.  But I'm understanding the mercenary thing, and it sounds like each of them needs to be defeated in order to move up in the list.

Though that dude on the first island is no longer on the list and instead, anther one is in his place whom I have not seen right now.

But it's good to know they stay a certain level along with these cultists (whom I have yet to see or know about in the game).

The entire system feels similar to the Morodoor series with their randomly generated orc captains so it might be safe to guess that none of the mercenaries are permanent set

52 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

You move up the list after defeating a few (can't say how many).

9 hours ago, Feral said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

You move up the list after defeating a few (can't say how many).

Yeah, been defeating them here and there (and running from the odd one), and I am slowly moving up the list.

And I have noticed the cultists, that they seem to have fixed levels as well, some much stronger than myself, while others about my level (I'm only level 13 right now).  But I did go back to an area and enemies were around level 10 there in one of the ports (made clearing it out a bit easier).

But other than that, yeah, enemies and quests seem to be scaling to my level (at least it seems like for the quests, maybe because enemies in said quests are to scale to my level).

I've literally seen enemies level up before my eyes. Currently overleveled at lvl 19 on the level 14 province. I see enemies using the eagle and they are level 10, but after i engage them in combat the instantly get boosted to level 14 which seems to me the max level of enemies in the area in currently in.

21 hours ago, Feral said:

Pretty sure the mercenaries stay at the same level.

21 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

If so, that would be nice.  But I shall find out eventually when I get further into the game :D

17 hours ago, Feral said:

Well I'm just going off the fact that none have been lower level than me and I've killed quite a few.

I've encountered a couple of mercenaries that were a few levels below me. I've killed a few too, and had the list below me seen reset, and then encountered a mercenary or two from the tier below me. It'll probably happen a bit more often once we get near the top.

16 hours ago, FranciRoosters said:

16 hours ago, Feral said:

12 hours ago, FranciRoosters said:

You go higher up the list by killing people that are higher up than you, not by levelling up.

10 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

You encounter the cultists not that far into the main story, so maybe faff about less? ;)

Kidding aside, with the risk of a small irrelevant little spoiler, the cultists really feel like proto-Templars to me ever since I first started hearing about them in-game, and the idea of going after them all is really cool and well implemented. Seems like the top tier is level fifty too, so much of it will probably be done postgame. The great thing about that to me is that there's much more assassin v templar related assassinations than in a regular game, and that after the ones the game gives to you for free you're going to have to actively search for information about who and where they are, so it's really open world assassinating in a way we've never seen in an Assassin's Creed game.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Spawn said:

You go higher up the list by killing people that are higher up than you, not by levelling up.

Well yeah that's obvious. What I meant about getting to level 50 was you'd be able to take out any mercenary because you'd be at the highest level. So it would be easy as.

54 minutes ago, Spawn said:

You encounter the cultists not that far into the main story, so maybe faff about less? ;)

Kidding aside, with the risk of a small irrelevant little spoiler, the cultists really feel like proto-Templars to me ever since I first started hearing about them in-game, and the idea of going after them all is really cool and well implemented. Seems like the top tier is level fifty too, so much of it will probably be done postgame. The great thing about that to me is that there's much more assassin v templar related assassinations than in a regular game, and that after the ones the game gives to you for free you're going to have to actively search for information about who and where they are, so it's really open world assassinating in a way we've never seen in an Assassin's Creed game.

Oh don't worry, I've faffed about a bit and have already met the cultists, so that's no problem (I do need to faff about a little more to get to level 15 for the next story mission, don't want to be too underleveled is all).  but yeah, I like the cultist idea as well, picking them off one by one and having to learn about others that way as well.

I think the annoying thing about this is the mercenaries, was doing a side quest, had to get stuff from a small camp, so I went in, attacked the enemies there and before I knew it, one mercenary shows up, which was fine, then another... and another, so I was trying to deal with three of them at once, plus the remaining enemies from the small camp xD

1 hour ago, Feral said:

Well yeah that's obvious. What I meant about getting to level 50 was you'd be able to take out any mercenary because you'd be at the highest level. So it would be easy as.

My thing on that discussion was in regards to @FranciRoosters, on the "can't go higher up the list if there's no mercenaries of a higher level than you" thing.

1 hour ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Oh don't worry, I've faffed about a bit and have already met the cultists, so that's no problem (I do need to faff about a little more to get to level 15 for the next story mission, don't want to be too underleveled is all).  but yeah, I like the cultist idea as well, picking them off one by one and having to learn about others that way as well.

I think the annoying thing about this is the mercenaries, was doing a side quest, had to get stuff from a small camp, so I went in, attacked the enemies there and before I knew it, one mercenary shows up, which was fine, then another... and another, so I was trying to deal with three of them at once, plus the remaining enemies from the small camp xD

I like how the mercenaries thing works. Makes you really think about how to tackle forts, because if you go into open combat and you're not quick enough, you'll soon find yourself with three or more mercenaries among the regular enemies. It's kind of like how you're going to help one side yourself if you find two parties fighting, it's a really good bit of world building in my eyes.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, Pokedude97 said:

I wish we could turn it off, I hate scaling enemies. I should be able to kill a low level dude in one hit after i've put in the effort to become powerful enough.

Disagree.  The scaling in this game is perfect, low level stuff levels with you so the world doesn't get smaller so to speak.  If it didn't scale, towards the end of the game you would have just one or two regions that provide a challenge, the other 90% of the content of the world would be a complete joke.  The way you get more powerful is via abilities, gear and getter better with your strategies, which is precisely how it should be.  One shotting low level stuff should be removed from games completely.

Edited by Salt_AU
  • Like 1