Starlink Thoughts After Playing The Game

Thought I'd create a thread for players to discuss the game, maybe share stuff they've found or help decide others if it's a game for them.

Friendly note: yes, this game has toys-to-life on the physical end, but there is an option to buy the game digitally with the base set of starships/pilots/weapons included, the base game is playable with just one pilot/ship/weapon set, and the physical game also has the option to play digitally and unlock content that way.

I've played about an hour now (until going to the second planet), and I really enjoy the game. It has much of the gameplay of No Man's Sky in a Ubisoft coating and with added Ubisoft open world gameplay, but done well (it's not generated through a formula but it's just one star system of planets to fly through and do missions on and scan animals and stuff). I guess "Ubisoft's No Man's Sky" would sound like a dis to some people, but, well, if tou don't like how Ubisoft handles their open worlds then it's a decent bet you won't like Starlink unless the space exploration setting is enough to get you to move past the Ubi aspect.

There seems to be a decent (if possibly by-the-numbers) story in the game, reminiscent of the first Mass Effect, with good music and well crafted worlds. I'm playing on the Switch (might double dip on PS4 in the future if I really enjoy the game up to the end) and the Star Fox content is cool too, makes the game feel like the best Star Fox game since the N64 days.

Early reports say the main story is doable in ten hours or so, with a lot of optional side content. 

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Cool, sounds good.

I have 2 more chapters to finish Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but maybe I'll take a little break to play something new.

Don't know if your wife enjoys games like these but it has a co-op option...

5 hours ago, Maaden_Swe said:

I really liked No Man´s Sky and Ubisoft open worlds are among my favourites, so this really sounds like a game for me. Dont know if Im gonna get it with or without toys tho. The digital copy is expensiiiiive :o 

Digitally, there's a 'complete' edition and a regular one. Though it seems that in the end, they didn't go for another even cheaper one with less pilots/ships.

10 hours ago, Kassandra said:

makes the game feel like the best Star Fox game since the N64 days.

Which isn't hard considering there hasn't been a real Starfox game since then. :P

My main question is: Can I buy the Switch version and throw away everything except for the cartridge, or do I need to fuck around with the toy?

I despise Ubisoft's open world formula, but Fox and decent space combat have me interested enought to try it out,

9 minutes ago, soniq said:

Which isn't hard considering there hasn't been a real Starfox game since then. :P

Well there was Star Fox Zero which I didn't play, I kinda liked that Adventures game but it was more Zelda than Star Fox, and then there's that RTS thing on DS or something...

My main question is: Can I buy the Switch version and throw away everything except for the cartridge, or do I need to fuck around with the toy?

You'll need to connect the toys once a week I think but after that you can play digitally. Switch version got the base ship from the other versions too, digitally. You'd have to check to see if it's all playable without ever connecting but you might probably just want to buy the digital game.

I despise Ubisoft's open world formula, but Fox and decent space combat have me interested enought to try it out,

It's less apparent in this game thanks to the space ship stuff that it has the Ubisoft open world formula. Can't say how much it will annoy you as personally I think Ubisoft is doing well these days, and I liked the Assassin's Creed Odyssey open world much more han the formula that they applied a few years ago.

11 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Thought I'd create a thread for players to discuss the game, maybe share stuff they've found or help decide others if it's a game for them.

Friendly note: yes, this game has toys-to-life on the physical end, but there is an option to buy the game digitally with the base set of starships/pilots/weapons included, the base game is playable with just one pilot/ship/weapon set, and the physical game also has the option to play digitally and unlock content that way.

I've played about an hour now (until going to the second planet), and I really enjoy the game. It has much of the gameplay of No Man's Sky in a Ubisoft coating and with added Ubisoft open world gameplay, but done well (it's not generated through a formula but it's just one star system of planets to fly through and do missions on and scan animals and stuff). I guess "Ubisoft's No Man's Sky" would sound like a dis to some people, but, well, if tou don't like how Ubisoft handles their open worlds then it's a decent bet you won't like Starlink unless the space exploration setting is enough to get you to move past the Ubi aspect.

There seems to be a decent (if possibly by-the-numbers) story in the game, reminiscent of the first Mass Effect, with good music and well crafted worlds. I'm playing on the Switch (might double dip on PS4 in the future if I really enjoy the game up to the end) and the Star Fox content is cool too, makes the game feel like the best Star Fox game since the N64 days.

Early reports say the main story is doable in ten hours or so, with a lot of optional side content. 

Hey Kassandra,

Thanks for posting. I have been eagerly awaiting this game too. I noticed the Starfox physical is only available on the Switch version at this stage here. I am considering double dipping as well as went with PS4 today. 

Just wanted to ask whether you have found having only 1 ship is enough so far. The physical ships here are very pricey. I think the ships will work with any version although I am not actually sure. If anyone can clarify that would be great. Trying to avoid the digital path although the cost of the physical will probably be more than lego dimensions at this stage.  The digital version will probably work out 4 times cheaper than the physical.

Edited by cjshaitan

27 minutes ago, cjshaitan said:

Hey Kassandra,

Thanks for posting. I have been eagerly awaiting this game too. I noticed the Starfox physical is only available on the Switch version at this stage here. I am considering double dipping as well as went with PS4 today. 

Just wanted to ask whether you have found having only 1 ship is enough so far. The physical ships here are very pricey. I think the ships will work with any version although I am not actually sure. If anyone can clarify that would be great. Trying to avoid the digital path although the cost of the physical will probably be more than lego dimensions at this stage.  The digital version will probably work out 4 times cheaper than the physical.

I'm willing to bet quite a bit on the Star Fox content never becoming available for non-Nintendo versions of the game. Other than Star Fox, none of the physical expansion packs should be platform-restricted, just like the other toys-to-life games.

Additional ships and weapons and pilots might make the game a bit easier because you can lean on to adaptability, but the whole game is playable without additional packs and I intend to play the full game with Fox McCloud in his Arwing. If I still enjoy the game after playing the story I might buy an additional ship or two once I double dip on PS4, but partly too for the collectable part.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kassandra said:

I'm willing to bet quite a bit on the Star Fox content never becoming available for non-Nintendo versions of the game. Other than Star Fox, none of the physical expansion packs should be platform-restricted, just like the other toys-to-life games.

Additional ships and weapons and pilots might make the game a bit easier because you can lean on to adaptability, but the whole game is playable without additional packs and I intend to play the full game with Fox McCloud in his Arwing. If I still enjoy the game after playing the story I might buy an additional ship or two once I double dip on PS4, but partly too for the collectable part.

Yep I had a feeling Star Fox would probably only be a Switch exclusive. I actually am enjoying the Switch alot at the moment but had mentally shifted this game to PS so I am stuck for now I guess. I only just realised it was you now, you have so many name changes I can't keep up ?. I like the Kassandra though, it immediately made me feel guilty for not going back to the X1 and resuming Assassins. Obviously you must be enjoying it.

This is probably not the thread but who cares if we side track a little, I heard a recommendation today for Wandersong, I am pretty sure it must only be Switch not PS at moment. Have you played ? It sounds perfect. How are we suppose to keep up with so many great things around.

2 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

Yep I had a feeling Star Fox would probably only be a Switch exclusive. I actually am enjoying the Switch alot at the moment but had mentally shifted this game to PS so I am stuck for now I guess. I only just realised it was you now, you have so many name changes I can't keep up 1f61c.png. I like the Kassandra though, it immediately made me feel guilty for not going back to the X1 and resuming Assassins. Obviously you must be enjoying it.

This is probably not the thread but who cares if we side track a little, I heard a recommendation today for Wandersong, I am pretty sure it must only be Switch not PS at moment. Have you played ? It sounds perfect. How are we suppose to keep up with so many great things around.

Yeah Assassin's Creed Odyssey was awesome. On topic of Starlink, I think Ubisoft is on a hot streak for a year or two now.

You're not the first today getting confused by my name change, yet I'm very reliable in doing this exactly once per four weeks, not at random :)

Yes I have Wandersong, played for an hour or two. Very cool game, very unique.

2 hours ago, FielVeredus said:

Is the game featuring on foot exploration ?

Nope, spaceship only.

On TrueAchievements, 3 of 31 people already have 1000G (100%) consistently around 20 hours, so OP's comments on length seem very accurate.  Some platinums on here, too. Probably going to be an easy game to platinum.

Reviews have been good, and I'm super into the idea of this game.  I'll probably get it now, only issue is that to my knowledge even the digital only without the TTL features is around £60...

6 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Don't know if your wife enjoys games like these but it has a co-op option...

No, her skills end at "flailing the Wiimote around wildly". Actually playing with a controller? That's a big nope.

5 hours ago, Kassandra said:

Well there was Star Fox Zero which I didn't play, I kinda liked that Adventures game but it was more Zelda than Star Fox, and then there's that RTS thing on DS or something...

Gamecube also had Starfox Assault... but I think the post you replied to was intended as a "sick burn" on Nintendo's treatment of the series. :P

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

No, her skills end at "flailing the Wiimote around wildly". Actually playing with a controller? That's a big nope.

My wife could do a game like this but she's not into sci-fi and neither is she into shooters. At least she played Never Alone Foxtales with me recently but other than that I've been gaming on my own.

I figured, if she'd play with you then you might find time for Starlink sooner but apparently that's not going to happen :)

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Gamecube also had Starfox Assault... but I think the post you replied to was intended as a "sick burn" on Nintendo's treatment of the series. :P

I knew @soniq's intent but my real point is that this actually feels like a Star Fox games, not just a sci-fi game that happens to have Fox McCloud as a playable exclusive.

2 minutes ago, Kassandra said:

My wife could do a game like this but she's not into sci-fi and neither is she into shooters. At least she played Never Alone Foxtales with me recently but other than that I've been gaming on my own.

I figured, if she'd play with you then you might find time for Starlink sooner but apparently that's not going to happen :)

Yeah, my best bet on a gateway game for her on Switch is probably Super Mario Party or something similar. I'd kill for a Wii Sports successor that was more accurate in terms of motion controls.

2 minutes ago, Kassandra said:

I knew @soniq's intent but my real point is that this actually feels like a Star Fox games, not just a sci-fi game that happens to have Fox McCloud as a playable exclusive.

That's the one thing I truly hoped the game would get right, so that's great to hear.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Several additional hours into the game and my verdict is that I love it. It definitely has a No Man's Sky vibe, but with better gameplay and better crafted worlds/animals and such. Music is comparable, I still think No Man's Sky has AMAZING music.

Loving the game so much that I'm double dipping, the PS4 version will be delivered tomorrow. I've also ordered the Neptune and Nadir ship packs.

On 16/10/2018 at 2:39 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah, my best bet on a gateway game for her on Switch is probably Super Mario Party or something similar. I'd kill for a Wii Sports successor that was more accurate in terms of motion controls.

Now that I foofed around with the game some more, I think I'm ready to let my wife try. Especially important is that I fixed the audio (master/music 100, voices 75, everything else 65) for much better balance (even when I was playing alone, my wife was annoyed with all the shooting sounds, which admittedly are so loud you can't hear the music very well, a shame since the music is well done).

On 16/10/2018 at 2:39 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

That's the one thing I truly hoped the game would get right, so that's great to hear.

Several more hours in and I stand by my point. Try Fox's pilot ability, after you've turned the music volume up.

On 18/10/2018 at 10:58 AM, cjshaitan said:

I am in about 2hr as well and I just don't get this game. It hits me like a single player normal game with a novelty toys for life add on. Sure the models look great but actually trying to switch out the weapons (physical) quickly is not going to happen especially with the frequency the game tells you the new enemies weaknesses. The actual gameplay loop is fun for sure but I just don't get the desire to use the physical figures in the same way Skylanders or Lego D achieved. The process is just to clunky. 

Do the physical ships actually give you any additional in game content other than the ability to use them. 

It just doesn't feel right, maybe it is just me but I can't really justify buying more ships if there is no additional content  / missions worlds or something. I suspect I might feel differently if I knew there wasn't a digital bail out option. It is a shame, I don't really know who this game is marketed towards, I can't see it being kids, well not the physical version. I am just not sure it is me either which is weird cause I love this sort of stuff. 

Replying here as it's something for this thread :)

I'm not doing anything with the physical stuff, I just used them to unlock the digital stuff and I'm playing that way. Once I get my other stuff, I'll just go about synching every ship/weapon once every ten days so I'll be able to keep playing without a hassle.

The ships are just that, extra ships (and weapons and pilots).nothing besides the base pack is needed to play through the game, it's just extra flavour.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So grabbed this for Black Friday - was $50 CDN (half price) and I think in the US it’s $35. This is the physical base starter pack.

My question is, are there plans for more waves to be added via DLC, and for those that have played, any addition ships that are helpful to buy?

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

My question is, are there plans for more waves to be added via DLC, and for those that have played, any addition ships that are helpful to buy?

The plans are there, hopefully there have been enough sales for Ubisoft to keep on going with those plans.

Personally I've bought the Neptune and Nadir packs. I ended up actually playing with the Nadir, I bought both packs just because I liked the look of the ships.

I've also bought Eli Arborwood, a pilot pack. I liked that character so much when playing on Switch, I decided to play as him on PS4.