Suggestion: Make new guidelines about censorship disputes

Hello. I am wondering if this is allowed, if not, then you can go ahead and lock this thread. Either way, some users are really, really upset about Sony's recent censorship policies and continued to make claims about how they will switch to Nintendo Switch and PC and no longer buying any PlayStation games because of a policy they disliked and parroting the same things over and over again. So I am wondering if you can make some guidelines that prevents any extreme talk about censorship.

I noticed that the Senran Kagura Burst Renewal thread was locked because of the unnessary debate about the censorship policy which resulted in flaming and name calling. So I made this topic/suggestion in hopes of preventing a scenairo like this from happening again. Thank you for your time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

So not only do you not care about censorship, but you want to censor those who do? 

Name calling and abuse will rightfully lead to threads being locked and members reprimanded. No need to shut down legitimate conversation about a massive issue. 

Edit: also, I fully support people only buying games secondhand (and Sony Censored games not at all). Let Sony feel our displeasure where it hurts. 

Look man, I don't care about censorship, but you and those who are against it are having a slippery slope over it. This talk about how evil Sony's censorship policy is and possbily how evil censorship is getting ridiculous and out of hand.

• Like 1

Censorship in any form is a slippery slope, though  I just don't understand how a lack of boobies and buttcrack is detrimental to games. I guess since I'm not into the types of games in question it doesn't bother me, but it could open the door for other aspects to come under scrutiny.

Regardless of my opinion, people should be able to voice their own either way without the keyboard badasses going off on them.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sofa King said:

Censorship in any form is a slippery slope, though  I just don't understand how a lack of boobies and buttcrack is detrimental to games. I guess since I'm not into the types of games in question it doesn't bother me, but it could open the door for other aspects to come under scrutiny.

Regardless of my opinion, people should be able to voice their own either way without the keyboard badasses going off on them.   

I totally agree. Least we want a repeat of what happened in the Senran Kagura Burst Renewal thread.

• Like 1

Just now, MMX20 said:

I totally agree. Least we want a repeat of what happened in the Senran Kagura Burst Renewal thread.

The I think what you are complaining about is people being disrespectful to each other, not anything to do with censorship right? 

Unless you think talk about censorship holds a special status - like how we apparently aren't allowed to criticise religion in case people get upset. 

I think there are probably rules about not being disrespectful to others already. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

The way you phrased this around censorship was very strange. 

18 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

The I think what you are complaining about is people being disrespectful to each other, not anything to do with censorship right? 

Unless you think talk about censorship holds a special status - like how we apparently aren't allowed to criticise religion in case people get upset. 

I think there are probably rules about not being disrespectful to others already. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

The way you phrased this around censorship was very strange. 

Hmm u do have a point. I apologize for being rude to u about to be policy. While I can understand how people are upset about it, I wish u and the others luck on trying to repeal it. It may seem fultile but I wish u guys luck on your efforts 

5 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Hmm u do have a point. I apologize for being rude to u about to be policy. While I can understand how people are upset about it, I wish u and the others luck on trying to repeal it. It may seem fultile but I wish u guys luck on your efforts 

Thank you, although "efforts" is too kind a term. "bittchin" is probably more appropriate (which, if off topic in a thread, is a fair point for criticism - but in the case of SK was definitely appropriate). 

Censorship is silly. If I had kids they probably seen more boobs and butts all over the internet than from a game. Im sure Sony knows itll hurt their sales. But why why why.

Unpopular opinion:

This whole debate about censorship and not censoring it seems like it has a black and white solution but it's a very gray area. You can't please everyone. You'll have people gruelling Sony for letting things like overly sexualizing minors  be in their game and unconsented fondling and then you'll have users who will hate Sony for censoring. 

Way I see it is that no amount of convincing for me will change my mind that's it's okay to show people that you can sexualize minors and make them do things without their consent. That's like a safe haven for pedophiles and rapists to get their gratuitous fantasies turned on and that's certainly not going to help them nor help the victims when the person can't control themselves because that's a freaking mental illness. 

There's a certain limit imo in terms of the amount of censorship and so far with the above example I'm 100% with Sony on this one. 

Some other things like toning down the jiggle physics (lol I found this funny) is a little too much provided that the game is rated mature and that the people in the game aren't underage. 

Basically the censorship has to be dealt with on a case by case basis because yes not everything has to be censored but there are some things where it's best they remain locked up. 

17 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

Unpopular opinion:

This whole debate about censorship and not censoring it seems like it has a black and white solution but it's a very gray area. You can't please everyone. You'll have people gruelling Sony for letting things like overly sexualizing minors  be in their game and unconsented fondling and then you'll have users who will hate Sony for censoring. 

Way I see it is that no amount of convincing for me will change my mind that's it's okay to show people that you can sexualize minors and make them do things without their consent. That's like a safe haven for pedophiles and rapists to get their gratuitous fantasies turned on and that's certainly not going to help them nor help the victims when the person can't control themselves because that's a freaking mental illness. 

There's a certain limit imo in terms of the amount of censorship and so far with the above example I'm 100% with Sony on this one. 

Some other things like toning down the jiggle physics (lol I found this funny) is a little too much provided that the game is rated mature and that the people in the game aren't underage. 

Basically the censorship has to be dealt with on a case by case basis because yes not everything has to be censored but there are some things where it's best they remain locked up. 

Except that hasn't happened and there have been no big complaints about any misinformed idea that it has. Minors, as in underage girls, should be off limits of course. But I've only seen one problematic 15 year old and, OK, if this fictional character had their age changed I would accept that alteration. Sony's censorship goes far, far beyond that and pertains to depictions of adults in adult rated games. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ughrora said:

Censorship is unnecessary, especially for video games. Sony doesn't have to take on the role of a worried parent. They shouldn't have to worry about the children, as that's honestly the responsibility of the parents.

CERO/ESRB/PEGI rating systems exist for a reason. Unfortunately, many parents do not seem to take the time to learn about them. But that shouldn't mean that Sony has to do the parenting for them. 

They could've handled this in much better ways. For example, have a separate section for lewd games, and don't out them on the front page of the store. They don't need to ban lewd/ecchi content altogether.

This, my thoughts in a nutshell^

We have ratings boards for a reason so let them do their job and educate parents about what is actually in each game so they can then make informed decisions as to what games are suitable for their children's age group. There are many different ways that Sony could have handled the rise of the Lewd games, all of which which don't involve censorship or bans but they decided to play the "think of the children" card instead and jump the shark into the land of stupidity from which there is no return.

• Like 4