Is platinum faster than Pic-a-Pix Color?

tjoe1bkhjtqxm

On 1/17/2019 at 10:45 PM, StarWolf3000 said:

This platinum takes way longer than in Colors. I currently have the first 7 and the 16th picture completed. Some pieces took me 30+ minutes, some complete pictures are 2 hours and longer. Oof...

Yes, the platinum in Pictures takes way longer but I'm not complaining one bit. These puzzles are far more challenging ( and fun!) than Colors. The 20th picture alone took 5 hours to complete, as it's 24 20x20 puzzles. 

• 3 weeks later...

It took me 43 hours and 27 minutes to finish this platinum. So it is indeed a longer platinum than Color, but I enjoyed every second!

If you’ve already completed the game legit and want to power through the platinum on a stack, the quickest way is to spam fix. Pick the color that looks like it is used the most across the board and then fill the entire board with that color (or at least all of the rows and columns that have that color). Repeat with the remaining colors. Since there are only 4 trophies for not using fix, this means 346 puzzles are available for you to spam fix without messing up trophy progress. 

I tested several different size puzzles with a few different methods:

1) Completing the puzzle legit

2) Following a solution (screenshot I took of the puzzle with 1 square left)

3) Filling the board with X marks and using fix. Then filling in the rest of the board with the appropriate colors. 

4) Spam fix by filling in the entire board with one color, fixing, filling the next color, fixing, until the puzzle is complete. 

Option 4 was indeed the fastest to compete the puzzle. 

• Like 3

On 15/02/2019 at 2:00 PM, slammajamma28 said:

Pick the color that looks like it is used the most across the board and then fill the entire board with that color (or at least all of the rows and columns that have that color).

I can't possibly endorse the spam fix method ;) But if you must...

The color selection is ordered by frequency, so the one that's selected when you start the puzzle is the one that is used most.

Curious - how did you track the completion time so accurately?

2 hours ago, luckydonut said:

I can't possibly endorse the spam fix method ;) But if you must...

The color selection is ordered by frequency, so the one that's selected when you start the puzzle is the one that is used most.

Curious - how did you track the completion time so accurately?

Well, the puzzle screen shows how long it took you to complete the puzzle... so I just added it all up!

I don’t mean to endorse the spam method. I love picross too much. Just passing along what knowledge I gathered to those that may care more about easy trophies than fun puzzles.  

And cool, I didn’t realize that the colors were ordered by frequency!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 0:47 PM, luckydonut said:

Oooh... you never need to guess - there's always a logical next move! :)

Are you sure? I was doing this puzzle yesterday and got stuck. Even asked some other people and none of them could figure out a next move either

w7NKpUx.jpg

Were we all missing something obvious?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 4:10 AM, madbuk said:

Are you sure? I was doing this puzzle yesterday and got stuck. Even asked some other people and none of them could figure out a next move either

w7NKpUx.jpg

Were we all missing something obvious?

Sometimes look at the adjoining puzzles for help. In this instance, look at the puzzle that would be to the left of this one. Does the right side of that one give a clue as to if any of your missing blue pieces will border it? And where? 

Sorry I only just saw this. Hopefully you got there anyway, but here's the next logical move.

In the 4th column the remaining clues are 1B/2B and what's left to fill is --B---.

There are only two ways this can fit: BXBBXX or XXBXBB.

Either way, you can mark X in the second spot (i.e. make it -XB---) and this gives you new information for the intersecting row.

You never need to look to adjacent puzzles for clues!

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 6:17 AM, luckydonut said:

Yes, these games are immensely fun. You solve a logic puzzle to make a cute picture.

Start with Pic-a-Pix Color if you've never played Picross before. It has a few tiny 5x5 puzzles to get you started,

So am I correct in assuming these games are similar to the Switch's Piczle Colors?

4 hours ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

So am I correct in assuming these games are similar to the Switch's Piczle Colors?

Similar but different. Both games produce color pixel art, but the logic rules are different.  The most obvious difference is that in Piczle Colors you paint every square, whereas in Pic-a-Pix you have to work out which squares remain white. If you have a Switch, you can get a demo of Pic-a-Pix Deluxe. You can also read how to play on our website.

1 hour ago, luckydonut said:

Similar but different. Both games produce color pixel art, but the logic rules are different.  The most obvious difference is that in Piczle Colors you paint every square, whereas in Pic-a-Pix you have to work out which squares remain white. If you have a Switch, you can get a demo of Pic-a-Pix Deluxe. You can also read how to play on our website.

Yes, I do have a Switch. I've been enjoying the Piczle games on there (really wish they were ported over to Vita), so I'll give these Pic-a-Pix games a try on there, so to not have to worry about trophies and just relax lol. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

This game is getting boring for me.

At first it was fun, working out where to put the right spots. The 20x20 grids can be very frustrating so the best way is to go to a different area or a different puzzle.

Sure you can cheese it by fill in all the spots with the same colour and "fix" it but that takes away the whole point of the game. But I'm stuck on 19 and 20 so may just cheese it and get rid of the game.

I've got the Phil one and I can't be arsed to start that. Maybe years in the future.