Completing this game without a guide??

SnowFleurz

I've just completed the game with the help of a 100% guide.

During the gameplay I thought to myself - how the hell can people complete this game without a guide?

Anyone here who completed the game, not necessarily platinumed it, just made it through to the end without using a guide?

If you're looking for a 100% guide with minimal spoilers and no annoying videos to watch, this all text based guide is great:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/805590-grim-fandango-remastered/faqs/73400

• Like 2

I got to year 2 without guides on original version and few years later on next attempt I got to year 3. Few more year laters I played again with guide to finally finish game. Remaster version I played with guide straight away.

These adventure/point and click games are usually quite random on how to progress. Try games like Monkey Islands, Maniac Mansion and Full Throttle and you find weird solutions to problems.

• Like 1

I got the original game on PC way back when, I'm a huge fan of these old point & click adventure games. Took me a good month to get through, half because this game is so damn obtuse with its puzzles, and half because I was a dumb ass kid. I would spend days making absolutely no progress in this tbh. There is a logic to the puzzles, but because these games aren't really long, they are padded with walls which stretch any kind of sense to the limit. I wouldn't follow a guide all the way through for a game like this, but some of the solutions are bordering on bullshit, so there's absolutely no shame in looking up the solution (especially in year three).

As an aside, if you want the plat for this game a guide is also a prerequisite, there's so many things that I didn't even know about despite finishing this game 3 or 4 times before. Great game though, peak of the genre IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

I always loved these point and click adventure games, and this was the one that started my love for the genre.

I completed Grim Fandango on PC back on the day and was one of the first achievers of the platinum here on PSN Profiles, both without a guide. Took me months to figure out some of the puzzles, but that was part of the fun! I replayed the game several times over the years, so it was a breeze to do this on PS4.

Great game, a gem!

• 5 months later...

To be perfectly honest I finished the game feeling somewhat disappointed. Back in the day I was unable to make it even into year 2, so I played it this time with a guide. I really wanted to experience the story. First of all, some (most?) of the puzzles I came across are not clever IMO: they are difficult because they make absolutely no sense. On many occassions you wander off into the distance and I can hardly discern what Manny is looking at. Not to mention on quite a few occasions he’s turned his back towards me, how the hell am I supposed to see what he is seeing/doing??

I am happy that I finally got to see the story played out, but there too I was disappointed if I am brutally honest. Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention but for example why is Manny a successful club owner in year 2, why is he not being chased? They know he’s there. Year 3, where did that come from... why am I there, why is that suddenly exactly where I was always supposed to be and especially... why am I being such an ass towards the lantern guy on the bottom of the ocean? Thanks for the light man, here let me use you as bait for the octopus and get you taken into slave labor... wait, what??

I feel conflicted. I like it due to the nostalgia, I love the setting and the story potential in this world. Not so much the end result.

• 2 months later...

Of course you should play it blind. Playing poin't and click adventure games with a guide is pointless. Whole purpose of this genre is solving puzzles, by using a guide you take it all away. If you are smart, you should be able to complete a game by yourself. Of course, when you are stuck for 2 hours, it can be frustrating, but the greatest magic about experiencing this king of games it trying to solve puzzles for hours. Sometimes the best solutions appear in your mind when you are away from game - for example, when you are in a bus, school, work etc. :)  And when you solve a puzzle by yourself, you feel like the smartest man on earth :) But that is just my opinion   ;)

And if you get stuck and need a hint, use this tips instead - they don't spoil fun:

http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/grimfand.php

Edited by Kristmas2
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...
On 31/8/2019 at 9:16 AM, Sifferino said:

To be perfectly honest I finished the game feeling somewhat disappointed. Back in the day I was unable to make it even into year 2, so I played it this time with a guide. I really wanted to experience the story. First of all, some (most?) of the puzzles I came across are not clever IMO: they are difficult because they make absolutely no sense. On many occassions you wander off into the distance and I can hardly discern what Manny is looking at. Not to mention on quite a few occasions he’s turned his back towards me, how the hell am I supposed to see what he is seeing/doing??

I am happy that I finally got to see the story played out, but there too I was disappointed if I am brutally honest. Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention but for example why is Manny a successful club owner in year 2, why is he not being chased? They know he’s there. Year 3, where did that come from... why am I there, why is that suddenly exactly where I was always supposed to be and especially... why am I being such an ass towards the lantern guy on the bottom of the ocean? Thanks for the light man, here let me use you as bait for the octopus and get you taken into slave labor... wait, what??

I feel conflicted. I like it due to the nostalgia, I love the setting and the story potential in this world. Not so much the end result.

Rubacava is 1 THOUSAND km from El Marrow, that's a lot, specially in a hostile world full of dangers and monsters like the one of the game. Also El Marrow is huge, probably Hector and his men don't have a reason to think Manny would just leave the city instead of hiding there. Salvador tells you right at his last letter that rumor has spread on the streets of El Marrow that Manny fled to Rubacava, so seems clear that they didn't find out he was there until almost a year has passed.

Regarding your doubts about year 3 events... It's all pretty straightfoward and explained in the game, seems like you didn't pay attention or don't remember the events clearly.

• 11 months later...