The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

Haven't got to watch Fyter Fest 1 yet but I'm hearing Darby, Sammy and Starks were over as hell with the crowd (Starks and Sammy being in their hometown).  Very cool to see those guys getting the big pops as they're all three young and have very high ceilings, especially Darby who has blossomed into a straight up star in AEW's first couple years. 

On 02/06/2021 at 2:13 PM, GloriousFury9414 said:

AEW needs to be picky I think, is difficult as this batch of releases talent wise are potentially good additions to AEW but the AEW roster is huge. 

I'd still rather Bryan goes to AEW than the released talents. Still think he'll stay with the WWE, or go to NJPW. I think End/Riot would be very likely though, very good fit for AEW. 

Plus Rampage is only 1hr i think.

Then Elevation and Dark and Dynamite. But Fyter Fest night 1 was great. 

Cant wait till Dr. Britt Baker DMD rearranges Nyla. Who's done nothing to get a title shot. Plus let Archer beat Mox so he can disappear and be a parent

Meanwhile if Hangman dethrones Omega at All Out i wouldn't be shocked, but then maybe MJF beats Hangman or something. I prefer Omega to keep it. But AEW is entertaining. 

Tired of Cody though. 

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

The Go Big Show got renewed so he'll be written off of TV soon enough, hopefully at the hands of Black. 

i just watched a video on that, perhaps cultaholics. But yeah, like Cody for me, i enjoyed when he went to NJPW and was allowed to showcase his work better. Then AEW happens and lets be real, Omega is still the franchise star. But Cody is shoving himself down fans necks. I was like oh cool, he wont challenge for AEW World title(maybe heel turn he will ffs...), in comes TNT title... obvs he gets it... ? 

He's just like his dad Dusty, overrated. Plus he has to be first to fight every new talent they sign or bring in it seems aside from Andrade. Cody vs Darby, Cody vs Archer, Cody vs Brodie, Cody vs Black.. im sure there is many more.. even Shaq ffs.

I will 100% give AEW amazing credit for building up Darby Allin though. From the time limit draw debut to now, even just before Sting. He's awesome. When he eventually wins the AEW title in a few years that pop is gonna be HUGE.

17 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Plus Rampage is only 1hr i think.

Then Elevation and Dark and Dynamite. But Fyter Fest night 1 was great. 

Cant wait till Dr. Britt Baker DMD rearranges Nyla. Who's done nothing to get a title shot. Plus let Archer beat Mox so he can disappear and be a parent

Meanwhile if Hangman dethrones Omega at All Out i wouldn't be shocked, but then maybe MJF beats Hangman or something. I prefer Omega to keep it. But AEW is entertaining. 

Tired of Cody though. 

I'd prefer Kenny to keep it also. Think he is the MVP of the company and always has been, regardless of what some internet fans and Cornette lovers say. You don't go to Japan and become a big star as a Gaijin and main event Wrestle Kingdom If your not extremely talented. I do Like Hangman, but I also like unpredictibility....it feels a bit too obvious Hangman will be the one who beats him. Then again, it makes sense so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I'd prefer Kenny to keep it also. Think he is the MVP of the company and always has been, regardless of what some internet fans and Cornette lovers say. You don't go to Japan and become a big star as a Gaijin and main event Wrestle Kingdom If your not extremely talented. I do Like Hangman, but I also like unpredictibility....it feels a bit too obvious Hangman will be the one who beats him. Then again, it makes sense so I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Didn't he also win his first G1? But i think AEW likes to throw people off. So Hangman may not win off him. 

I do think there could be HUGE money in Darby vs Omega. Even if Omega retained. Sting helping fend off Elite. There are a lot of ways. Jericho vs Omega 3... Inner Circle faces vs Elite heels in a role switch. Hell, Tommy End beating Omega. Imagine a flying V Trigger countered with a Black Mass(Anti-Air punish lol!).

What i sort of Expect is Kenny to drop Impact to Callihan (i mean who else is there? outside a big signing at Slammiversary to dethrone Omega at BFG), AAA to Andrade, then AEW to Hangman. But i think it'd be funny if he loses the Impact and AAA belt. Keeps the AEW.

As for njpw, have Jay White, G.o.D, invade AEW bulletclub style. Have Ibushi fight Omega, Okada fight and beat Omega not for the AEW title, but to restore order of the titles to their respective promotions. That would be bad ass. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Didn't he also win his first G1? But i think AEW likes to throw people off. So Hangman may not win off him. 

I do think there could be HUGE money in Darby vs Omega. Even if Omega retained. Sting helping fend off Elite. There are a lot of ways. Jericho vs Omega 3... Inner Circle faces vs Elite heels in a role switch. Hell, Tommy End beating Omega. Imagine a flying V Trigger countered with a Black Mass(Anti-Air punish lol!).

What i sort of Expect is Kenny to drop Impact to Callihan (i mean who else is there? outside a big signing at Slammiversary to dethrone Omega at BFG), AAA to Andrade, then AEW to Hangman. But i think it'd be funny if he loses the Impact and AAA belt. Keeps the AEW.

As for njpw, have Jay White, G.o.D, invade AEW bulletclub style. Have Ibushi fight Omega, Okada fight and beat Omega not for the AEW title, but to restore order of the titles to their respective promotions. That would be bad ass. 

Yeah, Kenny first non Japanese winner of the G1 also. I'd love AEW to do something similar with a league/knockout G1 type format.

Lots of pathways to go with certainly with Omega, more so than Hangman I think at this point. Think the belt collector gimmick isn't done yet, so thinking about it maybe Hangman is a red herring.  Not a big name, but always thought Murphy would be a good fit for Impact, and potentially a good champion. Maybe he's a possibility. 

I could see AEW doing more with the bigger NJPW stars going forward, depending on the COVID travel situation. NJPW seem to get the better end of the bargain getting Mox and Jericho turning up often. If Kenny is still doing the Belt Collector gimmick by then, I'd be surprised if he doesn't face who the IWGP champion is at the time. Don't think Shingo Takagi is long term (he's amazing though) so could be Ibushi with the Golden Lovers link, or one of the big hitters in Tanahashi, Okada, Jay White or Naito. 

Who knows!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Yeah, Kenny first non Japanese winner of the G1 also. I'd love AEW to do something similar with a league/knockout G1 type format.

Lots of pathways to go with certainly with Omega, more so than Hangman I think at this point. Think the belt collector gimmick isn't done yet, so thinking about it maybe Hangman is a red herring.  Not a big name, but always thought Murphy would be a good fit for Impact, and potentially a good champion. Maybe he's a possibility. 

I could see AEW doing more with the bigger NJPW stars going forward, depending on the COVID travel situation. NJPW seem to get the better end of the bargain getting Mox and Jericho turning up often. If Kenny is still doing the Belt Collector gimmick by then, I'd be surprised if he doesn't face who the IWGP champion is at the time. Don't think Shingo Takagi is long term (he's amazing though) so could be Ibushi with the Golden Lovers link, or one of the big hitters in Tanahashi, Okada, Jay White or Naito. 

Who knows!

I actually see that with all these companies working together and AEW getting good ratings plus more 18-49 demo than WWE. Vince is in for a wakeup call. Even if they tried i don't think WWE could entertain me the way AEW does. AEW just seems raw(pun intended), and legit.

Maybe not in their first title match but Hangman's gotta be the one to take out Kenny, it's a bit obvious but they've invested so much time into his ascension to Kenny that I'd anticipate more backlash from him not being the next champion than anything.  Don't love the Dark Order being his "posse" though, would rather his backup be non-Inner Circle guys higher up in the card (Darby, Fenix/Pac, Mox/Eddie) with a common enemy... and of course Kaz.  It would be a Hell of a rub seeing those guys carrying Hangman around in celebration after winning the title ala Mick Foley.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Maybe not in their first title match but Hangman's gotta be the one to take out Kenny, it's a bit obvious but they've invested so much time into his ascension to Kenny that I'd anticipate more backlash from him not being the next champion than anything.  Don't love the Dark Order being his "posse" though, would rather his backup be non-Inner Circle guys higher up in the card (Darby, Fenix/Pac, Mox/Eddie) with a common enemy... and of course Kaz.  It would be a Hell of a rub seeing those guys carrying Hangman around in celebration after winning the title ala Mick Foley.

Yeah they've invested alot in him and made that very clear. He'll have a title run sooner or later. Perhaps a transitional reign of a few months which is quite uncommon for AEW, similar to when Mankind won the belt in 1999 (well, longer than Mankind had the belt, he had a very short reign). Gets the big moment that the character needs and the world champion tag that helps a guy progress. 

Edited by GloriousFury9414

So I heard Jay White and Thunder Rosa worked Slammiversary?  Wonder if it's Covid restrictions holding them back from going all in on the crossovers or an actual decision.  Would love to see a 4 promotion event held, they wouldn't even have to do a bunch of interpromotional matches, just let AEW guys wrestle Aew guys, NJPW guys wrestle other NJPW guys and so on with one or two "dream matches" sprinkled in.

On 16/07/2021 at 9:46 PM, GloriousFury9414 said:

Cornette has mentioned this himself and seems accurate to me, a lot of people of today speak of Japan as if it was Japan of the past. Back in the day in Japan if you lost a MMA fight promoters like Inoki would bury you for it. If you worked for another promotion and they made you look stupid? Baba would ban you from working that promotion again and other guys under him too. 

Not that the old timers didn't have the nonsense too of course. Flair was once kidnapped back in his heyday for example. In British wrestling you have guys like Kendo Nagasaki, a British wrestling legend, who if you don't know, was basically the top British heel who never lost outside some manner of DQ/count out. Even Big Daddy, a face who beat everyone, would lose to Kendo (after dominating 99% of the match and getting a throat chop to the neck while distracted by the referee/ heel manager). In an old interview he was asked about the ruined British scene (this was before any sort of revival) and if it could come back. He stated no, as to why, because American wrestling is in people's minds and it is a joke, nonsense superhero stuff. This coming from a man who literally was doing what Alexa Bliss is doing now. He once won a handicap match after hypnotising one of the competitors to turn on his partner and attack him.

On 17/07/2021 at 3:48 PM, GloriousFury9414 said:

Yeah they've invested alot in him and made that very clear. He'll have a title run sooner or later. Perhaps a transitional reign of a few months which is quite uncommon for AEW, similar to when Mankind won the belt in 1999 (well, longer than Mankind had the belt, he had a very short reign). Gets the big moment that the character needs and the world champion tag that helps a guy progress. 

I don't understand how that makes any sense. You plant the seeds of "okay this guy is who we'll have win the title off Omega", then have him lose it shortly after winning it? Why? If Hangman is over and people are interested then he should keep the belt. Not to mention why hurt Hangman's confidence like that by putting it to him that they basically can't trust him? As for for should take it I have to echo MJF... though that'll be another guy with a faction winning it and MJF has been booked like a joke who barely wrestles anyway... so some time is needed to fix that. They could start now and have MJF beat Jericho week after week (ignore this labour stuff)... but there is a bigger chance of MJF getting another swirly I think. 

6 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

As for for should take it I have to echo MJF... though that'll be another guy with a faction winning it and MJF has been booked like a joke who barely wrestles anyway... so some time is needed to fix that. They could start now and have MJF beat Jericho week after week (ignore this labour stuff)... but there is a bigger chance of MJF getting another swirly I think. 

MJF might be a guy who could take the hit of being a transitional champion.  He's a super established heel who has a routine, and the routine doesn't need a belt.  MJF winning the title and going triple slimeball with it for a couple/few months would be an extraordinary lead up for Darby to be the one to take it and have a run.  Can't imagine the pop Darby would get, especially if they could pull it off in Key Arena (Seattle).

Edited by skidmarkgn

7 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Cornette has mentioned this himself and seems accurate to me, a lot of people of today speak of Japan as if it was Japan of the past. Back in the day in Japan if you lost a MMA fight promoters like Inoki would bury you for it. If you worked for another promotion and they made you look stupid? Baba would ban you from working that promotion again and other guys under him too. 

Well, the entire wrestling landscape globally has changed in terms of protecting 'kayfabe' not just Japan from that era. Being a 'legit tough guy' doesn't matter as much due to the fact everybody knew it was staged after a certain point. Inoki nearly bankrupted NJPW by going down the MMA style route in the mid 00's, going against the Puroresu style that fans enjoyed. Guys like Omega back then if he did his DDT stuff would never get a look in, but times change. 

I think you could certainly argue that Japanese wrestling isn't solely focused on domestic success as much as in past years due to how globalised the world has become, and how easy it is to watch NJPW through their streaming service. Guys like Omega, Styles, Ospreay say in 2005 or so, probably wouldn't have had the same level of success as the focus wasn't on attracting new viewers from the west. I mean they created that US title with that in mind, and it's been on AEW more than on NJPW shows!

But being a success in Japan means much more now in America. I mean guys like Keiji Mutoh, Jushin Liger and Masahiro Chono were major players in Japan, but were an afterthought on WCW television most of the time. I mean some people mocked how Jay White turned up at the Impact PPV being too minor for him. 

8 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

I don't understand how that makes any sense. You plant the seeds of "okay this guy is who we'll have win the title off Omega", then have him lose it shortly after winning it? Why? If Hangman is over and people are interested then he should keep the belt. Not to mention why hurt Hangman's confidence like that by putting it to him that they basically can't trust him? As for for should take it I have to echo MJF... though that'll be another guy with a faction winning it and MJF has been booked like a joke who barely wrestles anyway... so some time is needed to fix that. They could start now and have MJF beat Jericho week after week (ignore this labour stuff)... but there is a bigger chance of MJF getting another swirly I think. 

Well, I meant it more as a 3-6 month run. Perhaps 'transitional' wasn't the best phrase to use, he should still have a good run and the fans seem pretty into him currently and he does have talent. I just can't see Hangman having a run as long as Jericho, Omega and Moxley have had. Some fans turned on McInytre/Rollins for example for being champ for too long in a face role. Both are far more credible in my opinion than Hangman and equipped to be in a leading position. 

Also you're a guy who hates how things are booked. Hangman's biggest win is Brian Cage in AEW. I'm not sure the build-up is there for a big, long title run at the next PPV as of right now.

Anyways, just my two cents, I'm probably wrong ?

6 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

MJF might be a guy who could take the hit of being a transitional champion.  He's a super established heel who has a routine, and the routine doesn't need a belt.  MJF winning the title and going triple slimeball with it for a couple/few months would be an extraordinary lead up for Darby to be the one to take it and have a run.  Can't imagine the pop Darby would get, especially if they could pull it off in Key Arena (Seattle).

Well, established in his promos anyway. I doubt most people have any handle on what style he wrestles or what his standard moveset is as he wrestles so infrequently. I agree though yeah, he can take having a short reign, but he still needs to get one to gain some credibility. My fear with this whole "he is young" thing is yeah sure, he is, but 5 years later and "he is only 30 years old, plenty of time". I see fans do that talk over how the women are booked and it could happen to MJF. I'd say he likely is smart enough to get out of AEW if he doesn't get the belt in the next... 2 years tops... but he agreed to be swirlied by Jericho for no gain so... his wisdom is a bit in doubt to me. 

3 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Well, the entire wrestling landscape globally has changed in terms of protecting 'kayfabe' not just Japan from that era. Being a 'legit tough guy' doesn't matter as much due to the fact everybody knew it was staged after a certain point. Inoki nearly bankrupted NJPW by going down the MMA style route in the mid 00's, going against the Puroresu style that fans enjoyed. Guys like Omega back then if he did his DDT stuff would never get a look in, but times change. 

I think you could certainly argue that Japanese wrestling isn't solely focused on domestic success as much as in past years due to how globalised the world has become, and how easy it is to watch NJPW through their streaming service. Guys like Omega, Styles, Ospreay say in 2005 or so, probably wouldn't have had the same level of success as the focus wasn't on attracting new viewers from the west. I mean they created that US title with that in mind, and it's been on AEW more than on NJPW shows!

But being a success in Japan means much more now in America. I mean guys like Keiji Mutoh, Jushin Liger and Masahiro Chono were major players in Japan, but were an afterthought on WCW television most of the time. I mean some people mocked how Jay White turned up at the Impact PPV being too minor for him. 

Well, I meant it more as a 3-6 month run. Perhaps 'transitional' wasn't the best phrase to use, he should still have a good run and the fans seem pretty into him currently and he does have talent. I just can't see Hangman having a run as long as Jericho, Omega and Moxley have had. Some fans turned on McInytre/Rollins for example for being champ for too long in a face role. Both are far more credible in my opinion than Hangman and equipped to be in a leading position. 

Also you're a guy who hates how things are booked. Hangman's biggest win is Brian Cage in AEW. I'm not sure the build-up is there for a big, long title run at the next PPV as of right now.

Anyways, just my two cents, I'm probably wrong 1f602.png

Inoki was correct in the idea that wrestlers should be seen as "tough guys". What he missed was that promoters of the past got that effect for their guys without risking them taking hits by sticking them in a cage with the likes of Cro Cop. Wrestlers should present as "real" as possible as that draws money. It is partly why today most people left watching wrestling tend to be so into all the backstage stuff, as that unlike the shows is seen as "real". 

??? They have a cheap service that runs world wide. Their numbers are miniscule and their Japanese subscribers are 4-5 times higher than the rest of the world combined. NJPW has ambition yes, a great thing to have, but let us not pretend they're actually having any success. As for the guys you listed... sure, you could say that is to try and push this more global thing but... they're attractive White guys (foreign and exotic over there) who the ladies like... it does have a local effect and likely a bigger one than the world wide one hehehe. As for their title being more on AEW than NJPW... shows how worthless the title is to NJPW and may well become a full on AEW title in future perhaps. Look at something like the WWF Martial Arts title which WWF cared so little for it straight up became a NJPW title. 

Impact is always mocked. I wouldn't see anything in that. NJPW would kill to have the numbers Impact has in America.

Rollings is considered a bad babyface as he is a much more natural heel and he also had to deal with the whole Fiend debacle which killed him dead as a face. McIntyre I didn't really see that outside matters that weren't his fault. People loved that he brought an end to Lesner's terrible grip on the title. That he saw off Goldberg rather than dropping the title. His matches were good. He was good on the mic. The matters that bothered people was things like him having match after match against Orton who'd lose and lose but keep getting title match after title match. So yeah, if you book things badly, repetitively, and boring... you can start turning people on anyone. I mean look at Omega who had a never ending feud with Moxley and began to get that too. 

Yes, AEW incompetently knee capped Hangman by having him get randomly squashed because booker of the year couldn't figure out a way to not give Hangman the next title shot because he was at the top of their rankings, something me, some random guy on the internet could easily do. Regardless, Hangman is still who must get the title and you can certainly start booking him strongly now to put forward that he should have a long reign yes. Easily done again, but it is the booker of the year so we'll see. 

5 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Inoki was correct in the idea that wrestlers should be seen as "tough guys". What he missed was that promoters of the past got that effect for their guys without risking them taking hits by sticking them in a cage with the likes of Cro Cop. Wrestlers should present as "real" as possible as that draws money. It is partly why today most people left watching wrestling tend to be so into all the backstage stuff, as that unlike the shows is seen as "real". 

I don't disagree with the concept, just Inoki should have been wiser with his talent as you said. It's the sort of stuff you do if want to bury a guy, like with the whole Bart Gunn/Butterbean thing. Yeah, the majority of the top performers in history are an 'amped' up version of themselves.

5 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

??? They have a cheap service that runs world wide. Their numbers are miniscule and their Japanese subscribers are 4-5 times higher than the rest of the world combined. NJPW has ambition yes, a great thing to have, but let us not pretend they're actually having any success. As for the guys you listed... sure, you could say that is to try and push this more global thing but... they're attractive White guys (foreign and exotic over there) who the ladies like... it does have a local effect and likely a bigger one than the world wide one hehehe. As for their title being more on AEW than NJPW... shows how worthless the title is to NJPW and may well become a full on AEW title in future perhaps. Look at something like the WWF Martial Arts title which WWF cared so little for it straight up became a NJPW title. 

Impact is always mocked. I wouldn't see anything in that. NJPW would kill to have the numbers Impact has in America.

Well, as most things in Japan it focuses domestically but it makes sense to look at the secondary market in the west that could be attracted. Whilst figures aren't amazing they've had

better numbers in recent years with western audiences. Wrestling isn't bringing in new fans and the majority of fans are from previous eras who are more likely to check out NJPW than the casual. It certainly helps by having men with good looks in the leading positions, but I think guys like Tanahashi/Okada/Ibushi are more liked by the Females out in Japan than the western group. Dragon Gate had a business model like that for a while, attracting a significant amount of female fans at the shows. 

I know Impact is, it's more how the responce was that Jay White was 'too big' for Impact and he should be appearing at AEW or WWE. He's only had a significant run in Japan in his career. 

6 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Well, established in his promos anyway. I doubt most people have any handle on what style he wrestles or what his standard moveset is as he wrestles so infrequently. I agree though yeah, he can take having a short reign, but he still needs to get one to gain some credibility. My fear with this whole "he is young" thing is yeah sure, he is, but 5 years later and "he is only 30 years old, plenty of time". I see fans do that talk over how the women are booked and it could happen to MJF. I'd say he likely is smart enough to get out of AEW if he doesn't get the belt in the next... 2 years tops... but he agreed to be swirlied by Jericho for no gain so... his wisdom is a bit in doubt to me. 

MJF would benefit from a title run, it's one of the reasons the Pinnicle faction was daft to begin with as the credentials were not present for any of the guys in the group. 

I can't see WWE doing good by MJF if he decided to leave. They'll make him Miz 2.0 or McMahon will make him a mouthpiece for a bigger guy. 

2 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I can't see WWE doing good by MJF if he decided to leave. They'll make him Miz 2.0 or McMahon will make him a mouthpiece for a bigger guy. 

I tried to put the Gif of Samoa Joe pushing MJF outta the way as a security guard here and failed miserably.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 1

There is talk, yes yes, happens yearly but apparently more solid this time, of CM Punk returning to the ring. AEW is it is said the most likely place for him to go. Thoughts?

My thoughts are it is CM Punk so he could go to either WWE or AEW. A lot of AEW fans will talk up AEW on what it could get Punk but... there is stuff in WWE that killed CM Punk on the inside and likely still do to this day. Look at how he reacts to the Miz for example because Miz got to main event Wrestlemania while Punk never did. I think those sort of matters of pride matter to Punk far more than anything AEW might offer. Additionally for his problems with WWE, it isn't with Vince that he has a problem with. It is HHH, who currently has an all time low amount of stroke in WWE. 

As for Punk himself. Think he has killed interest in himself being away for so long and getting obliterated in the UFC. From what I've seen considering him going crazy on Miz was not that long ago, he remains an incredibly insecure individual who will only cause problems and will be a nightmare to deal with wherever he goes. Punk seems to be someone who only respects those above him (like Cena) and disrespects those he sees below him... anyone honestly think he'd see anyone in AEW as above him? I doubt it. He'll be backstage telling Omega to shut his mouth and do as Punk says for their match for example. 

15 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I don't disagree with the concept, just Inoki should have been wiser with his talent as you said. It's the sort of stuff you do if want to bury a guy, like with the whole Bart Gunn/Butterbean thing. Yeah, the majority of the top performers in history are an 'amped' up version of themselves.

Well, as most things in Japan it focuses domestically but it makes sense to look at the secondary market in the west that could be attracted. Whilst figures aren't amazing they've had

better numbers in recent years with western audiences. Wrestling isn't bringing in new fans and the majority of fans are from previous eras who are more likely to check out NJPW than the casual. It certainly helps by having men with good looks in the leading positions, but I think guys like Tanahashi/Okada/Ibushi are more liked by the Females out in Japan than the western group. Dragon Gate had a business model like that for a while, attracting a significant amount of female fans at the shows. 

I know Impact is, it's more how the responce was that Jay White was 'too big' for Impact and he should be appearing at AEW or WWE. He's only had a significant run in Japan in his career. 

MJF would benefit from a title run, it's one of the reasons the Pinnicle faction was daft to begin with as the credentials were not present for any of the guys in the group. 

If Inoki's talent had actually been out there beating down MMA guys Inoki would have been making a lot of money. It is however very high risk and obviously didn't pay off for him. I recall there was a promotion in Japan that got big due to "shooting" and being more "real", so Inoki would have had that on his mind I imagine. 

Well, those Japanese talents follow the Japanese ideal of beauty so you'd expect them to. However, even in such a strict place in such things such as Japan, you can't avoid the fact that there are significant numbers that like the exotic, some to the point of little interest in "locals", so having people from the exotics certainly helps. In the west it would be something like the Latin hunk in a primarily Northern European place. 

Are you saying The Miz 2.0 is a bad thing? 2 time WWE champion, at some point getting the IC title record, who won in the main event of Wrestlemania against in his prime Super Cena, and someone who with the media he does is likely the most well known active wrestler. I think MJF would be very happy if he were to be Miz 2.0, as would the large majority of people. They're actually very alike if you think about it. Not considered anything special in the ring. Use enforcers/stooges. "Weasels". Have solid promo work. Obviously better heels than they are faces. One thing we'll need to see with MJF is if he has Miz's ability to get whoever he gets put with (as his goon) over as a face. 

12 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I tried to put the Gif of Samoa Joe pushing MJF outta the way as a security guard here and failed miserably.

I assume this is a joke but that sort of stuff is very normal. Del Rio and others have shown up as "security" on WWE television before getting a place on the roster. You also have stuff like the "Rosebuds" too which Strowman for example was one before he showed up on the roster. 

10 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

There is talk, yes yes, happens yearly but apparently more solid this time, of CM Punk returning to the ring. AEW is it is said the most likely place for him to go. Thoughts?

My thoughts are it is CM Punk so he could go to either WWE or AEW. A lot of AEW fans will talk up AEW on what it could get Punk but... there is stuff in WWE that killed CM Punk on the inside and likely still do to this day. Look at how he reacts to the Miz for example because Miz got to main event Wrestlemania while Punk never did. I think those sort of matters of pride matter to Punk far more than anything AEW might offer. Additionally for his problems with WWE, it isn't with Vince that he has a problem with. It is HHH, who currently has an all time low amount of stroke in WWE. 

As for Punk himself. Think he has killed interest in himself being away for so long and getting obliterated in the UFC. From what I've seen considering him going crazy on Miz was not that long ago, he remains an incredibly insecure individual who will only cause problems and will be a nightmare to deal with wherever he goes. Punk seems to be someone who only respects those above him (like Cena) and disrespects those he sees below him... anyone honestly think he'd see anyone in AEW as above him? I doubt it. He'll be backstage telling Omega to shut his mouth and do as Punk says for their match for example. 

Sounds bizarre, but I think he could also return to WWE over AEW. He clearly has issues with the management, but HHH and Vince for the sake of business will forgive and forget. I do think Punk is fair with some points with his medical claims with the WWE working when hurt, but feel the not 'main eventing' Wrestlemania stuff is just very petty. Wasn't he going to go into a program with HHH at the Wrestlemania when he quit with him coming out on the winning side? Guy is way to full of himself, and not as good as he thinks he is. Not every great superstar can main event Wrestlemania. Ric Flair, Goldberg, Jeff Hardy, Eddie Guerrero, Kane are just some examples of guys who didn't.

During his peak, he had to compete with Rock/Cena in those slots who are both mega money draws. For being jealous of The Miz, Punk wasn't really over until he did his pipebomb so he had no real reason to main event Wrestlemania at that time.

He had a program with Jericho and Undertaker at Wrestlemania, a very long WWE title run, several high profile matches and a great financial deal. He had a very good run with the company, bar a few moments involving Nash/HHH. Other than the medical issues, I see no other reason why he could be this upset. 

Several rumors flying around as Bryan is believed to have signed with AEW, if so is a fantasic deal for them along with all the Punk stuff going around. Rock is rumored to be going back to WWE to begin something with Roman at some point also, likely at Wrestlemania. 

11 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Are you saying The Miz 2.0 is a bad thing? 2 time WWE champion, at some point getting the IC title record, who won in the main event of Wrestlemania against in his prime Super Cena, and someone who with the media he does is likely the most well known active wrestler. I think MJF would be very happy if he were to be Miz 2.0, as would the large majority of people. They're actually very alike if you think about it. Not considered anything special in the ring. Use enforcers/stooges. "Weasels". Have solid promo work. Obviously better heels than they are faces. One thing we'll need to see with MJF is if he has Miz's ability to get whoever he gets put with (as his goon) over as a face. 

Not exactly a bad thing, as Miz has done very well for himself and is arguably one of WWE's biggest overachievers as he's a Tough Enough guy. I actually could see MJF being used as a mouthpiece more. MJF isn't the biggest guy, and we know how Vince feels about smaller wrestlers.

20 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

I assume this is a joke but that sort of stuff is very normal. Del Rio and others have shown up as "security" on WWE television before getting a place on the roster. You also have stuff like the "Rosebuds" too which Strowman for example was one before he showed up on the roster. 

First and foremost I'm over the moon about the potential of Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega being real.

Anyways, I don't love it because of the attitude/personality involved but Punk would be a big grab... long term, who knows, maybe getting his ass kicked in the UFC humbled him, maybe not.  Certainly a big roll of the dice. 

And yes 100% a joke with the MJF GIF

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Sounds bizarre, but I think he could also return to WWE over AEW. He clearly has issues with the management, but HHH and Vince for the sake of business will forgive and forget. I do think Punk is fair with some points with his medical claims with the WWE working when hurt, but feel the not 'main eventing' Wrestlemania stuff is just very petty. Wasn't he going to go into a program with HHH at the Wrestlemania when he quit with him coming out on the winning side? Guy is way to full of himself, and not as good as he thinks he is. Not every great superstar can main event Wrestlemania. Ric Flair, Goldberg, Jeff Hardy, Eddie Guerrero, Kane are just some examples of guys who didn't.

During his peak, he had to compete with Rock/Cena in those slots who are both mega money draws. For being jealous of The Miz, Punk wasn't really over until he did his pipebomb so he had no real reason to main event Wrestlemania at that time.

He had a program with Jericho and Undertaker at Wrestlemania, a very long WWE title run, several high profile matches and a great financial deal. He had a very good run with the company, bar a few moments involving Nash/HHH. Other than the medical issues, I see no other reason why he could be this upset. 

Several rumors flying around as Bryan is believed to have signed with AEW, if so is a fantasic deal for them along with all the Punk stuff going around. Rock is rumored to be going back to WWE to begin something with Roman at some point also, likely at Wrestlemania. 

Not exactly a bad thing, as Miz has done very well for himself and is arguably one of WWE's biggest overachievers as he's a Tough Enough guy. I actually could see MJF being used as a mouthpiece more. MJF isn't the biggest guy, and we know how Vince feels about smaller wrestlers.

Considering the latest news out of WWE, HHH is in a really bad spot these days so him going from it some time soon isn't completely crazy. We'll see.

On top of all of that, had he been in the Miz role that he resents Miz for having... he'd have hated it and would have complained about it too. Punk got a lot but he is clearly one of those guys that always has something to complain about. As for the HHH Wrestlemania thing, he disrespected HHH to his face and scoffed at working such a program. His last match, the Royal Rumble, he also from what I recall back then, refused to do as booked so Kane had to force him out of the match.

My response to your comment would be Shawn Michaels. Shawn Michaels was protected and got away with things like no one else in WWE due to Vince being so high on him. Additionally, and it is hard to say due to Vince near enough never speaking on these matters but I think the whole big muscle guy thing is overblown, at least in the modern day. Guys like Braun Strowman and other big guys have not gotten the rocket push you'd expect while Vince showed a lot of care and attention for 205 Live of all things when it started and he was overseeing it, which is ironic as Vince's RAW is a horrid show and yet he can book Cruiserweights excellently... which is why I find it hard to rag on Vince and "his" booking too much. Recently for example there was talk from Daivari about wanting Del Rio's (how he put it) entrance for one of his matches. He asked a writer who told him he ain't a big enough star for such an entrance, which he took as the writer being scared to ask Vince so Daivari asked Vince himself who liked it and made it happen. I think for all the talk of Vince "micromanaging", he doesn't actually have as much influence as people might think which would explain why RAW suffers from the rewrite problem. It ain't that Vince puts together a show and then rips it and starts again, but that others put it together and Vince when he sees it rips it up. Just what I think, makes more sense to me.