The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

I got round to watching the show the other day and I'll say out my thoughts below.

Overall it was a solid show. I disagree with some people I've seen saying it was like a PPV for reasons I'll outline, but the opening match was certainly big time and that energy helped me watch the rest of the show shall we say.

Jade had great gear that helped make her stand out even more. She contrasted nicely with Red Velvet in the match as you saw how much bigger and more ripped she was than a standard female wrestler. This was Jade's first match so you can't judge too harshly. Her movements were a bit off as she hasn't done these moves a million times to get the motions perfected but that will get there if she puts in the time. Her moveset being basic is a "what do you expect" and actually very much a good thing. Her moveset should always be basic because with a woman who looks like that she has no need to do top rope moonsaults like what Red Velvet did as it is beneath her. Little people do that because they don't have the sheer power of someone like Jade. Her posing is not a huge issue as she has the body/looks/character for that. Any move she can work a pose into she should as far as I'm concerned. Some bad things though... far too competitive sorry. This is to not say Velvet couldn't get some hits in, but Jade needs to be taught to sell like a main eventer/big wrestler. Yes yes, I know, AEW's male talent seemingly have no idea on these concepts themselves... but with her being in Cody's camp so to speak... there is some hope as Cody and his people are the "smartest" to how to work by miles in AEW (Kenny Omega should never book a Jade match).

Shaq. First off, I know the man is that size. I know he is tall and a heavyweight. Once you see him coming down to and in the ring just wow, what a large guy. Hardly the most nimple guy at his age but he worked exactly how he should, as a giant. He did get ahead of himself very noticeably at one point but credit to him for taking that excellent looking table spot. Also, credit to QT was it for moving the table Velvet put up because damn was she struggling with that and it being as she left it might have caused some damage. Cody having guys attack Shaq like that though was a... faces attacking a heel? 3 of them was it? With a chair? And the heel just obliterates them to stand tall... what? Also the ambulance thing... yes. The laid out giant sneaked out of the ambulance without anyone noticing. Believable. All they literally needed was for the guy in the truck to get the mic in his face and for him to say that Shaq when he got up was mad as hell and he stormed out and no one could stop him. You could then, if Shaq is up for another match, give Shaq a promo where he states that he has been looking for Cody but has been told that Cody left as soon as he could after the match, because of course he'd cut and run knowing what Shaq was going to do to him, however he has talked to management and at Revolution there will be nowhere for Cody to run because it is going to be Shaq vs Cody in a Cage match. 

Now considering all the above... you can see what I cared about. I'll go through the rest.

1: Tag battle royal stuff. A bad joke. People laud AEW for tag teams but sorry, it is largely trash. Zero interest in these guys and they did nothing to change that.

2: The final to see who would face Shida was... yeah, disliked it. The Japanese woman in it is someone I've seen before and I get her "thing", but it just didn't work for me. AEW's constant implication that "Japanese women are just better" stuff is cringe and feels like Kenny Omega is out there jacking off. The only Japanese talent I'd have been pleased with winning it would have been Maki Itoh for at least being a different flavour to things. 

3: Inner Circle stuff is 100% WWE and Sports Entertainment stuff. I really don't get how people can act like AEW is this drastically different product. No. It's a variety show exactly like WWE. You have serious wrestling, sports entertainment, comedy, "magic" all on one show. 

4: Tully only sold once for Stunt which was more selling for Luchasaurus... I will rate that a success as AEW held back on it's worst impulses. Spears returning was a who cares as he is a job guy. The four horseman thing... either goes nowhere or the idea is to stick Cody in there.

5: Oh. The references. AEW sure love them don't they? Another WWE/NXT reference that everyone obviously caught, but in the rap there was also a Cornette reference I'd say as he was the thrower of the fireball mentioned in it. 

Oh dear. From an episode of Dynamite that came across great to... this.

Young Bucks match just made me think... damn the Inner Circle sucks. Jericho is hurting MJF badly with his mere presence honestly. The advertised "war council" either means MJF is cutting out the albatross around his neck, or it'll be another WWE style (and bad) sports entertainment piece for them.

Tag team battle royal, because I am foolish, and because even though I am fully aware that they suck I actually quite like battle royals and I'll admit the whole team thing is something I like... and also because some of the teams here I had no idea who they even were... I gave it a shot. Evil Uno sure has lost some weight hasn't he? Good for him. What was not so good for him was the utter stupidity on his end to run into the post when Marko Stunt, the microscopic entity that he is, could in no way even with the added momentum from a very large man in Luchasaurus hurricanrana him to the outside. THINK! Not even in a "okay what can I do to make this look good". All you need to do is literally not try to sell it and wait, hoping, that Luchasaurus's brain works and he realises he should kick you. The finish was baffling. Final 4. The heel tag team Death Triangle, no, don't say they are faces. They're "faces" because AEW is heel vs heel city. They're heels, end of. And the other side is two faces. The heels after a good effort by Silver dispatch him. Okay, all good. This is where Jungle Boy overcomes the two heels in a shock and gets a nice moment. Nope! The heels just beat him. Oh, but having Jurassic Express, a face team, face the Young Bucks just wouldn't work. Oh? Because having same alignment people fighting each other is a problem for AEW now? No, it ain't. Second, if Jungle Boy isn't winning when put in that spot... DON'T BOOK IT. Or, as we have the booker of the year booking... why not think of some way to give him the win but take him out of the match? AEW is flooded with post match attacks and they couldn't do one here? With one you can put Jungle Boy out for X time, have a feud with Death Triangle to make more time, and then have a tag team title match afterwards. Dark Order having 6 members in the match was stupid. QT turning heel was random and whatever... but if he becomes Jade's stooge/manager then good stuff. 

Shida match... all I could think was... Shida's facials are absolutely horrible. Same issue Riho and seemingly a lot of these Japanese women have. Maki Itoh who was on the pre-show who overacts because she is a heel goof is more proper than Shida/Riho honestly. At least she emotes correctly to what is happening. All match I just kept wondering why Shida was smiling so much. Is she a heel? She came off like a heel often... but she is a face, she just has terrible facials. Maki Itoh and Britt Baker coming out at the end was nice and I hope this is long term. Maki Itoh being Vicky's client with Nyla isn't a bad idea I think. Itoh's gimmick of saying crass stuff though is not going to work on Dynamite. My suggestion on how to change it up is swap out the swearing for Cornettisms, I mean it ain't like AEW doesn't already jack itself off on references anyway. So she should refer to Kenny Omega as Kenny Olivier and that sort of stuff. 

Miro match had an excellent start. Went downhill the moment Miro got punched out by Orange. You bring in this beast of a man who could be your top star easy... and you do stuff like this. 

Matt Hardy vs Adam Page... okay, nothing offensive but then you had half a million faces come out to beat up 2 heels and cheat for Adam Page... stupid. The only time such a large amount of faces works is if a face is in peril by a large amount of heels. Not just two heels who Page seemingly could handle without much problem anyway. 

Grab the Brass Ring above the ring... I mean what can you say. Embarrassing. As for the match itself. The surprise entrant was a... "I've vaguely heard of this guy but... really?" Sky winning I suppose is the correct move. With WWE having Big E and now Bobby Lashley in prominent roles, not to speak of the general sheer diversity over there to start with, AEW having no black talent anywhere close to any serious contender for anything is embarrassing. The progressive company everybody. Granted, that is a scam, I mean all the VPs outside Omega who... I doubt cares much, are Trump guys. Carnies tricking the marks I guess. 

Street Fight. Book Team Taz in a 4 on 1 handicap match, Sting or Darby, makes no difference. Have them all get beat and then release all of them. You might as well because the booking of these guys is offensive. The street fight, being what it was, was fine. It'll be offensive to a lot of people, but as just a cinematic it was competent enough. There was a story and foreshadowing to it. Granted, where did those 20 masked guys go? Teleported out I guess, perhaps to wherever Shaq is hanging out. Or they got kidnapped. 50-50. 

Exploding. Barbed. Wire. Deathmatch. 

Horrible from start to finish and oh what a climax of crap the finish was. First off these matches are stupid because they're limiting. You have for a good bit two guys in the ring using simply the centre to not touch the gimmick. DULL. Then when the gimmick is used you see just how stupid it is. Oh no, them hitting the ropes causes "an explosion" that is obviously fake and does nothing. Then of course because the gimmick ain't enough, got to have weapons. Stupid. Speaking of stupid. Is there a more stupid man in wrestling than Moxley? Honest question. This is what you wanted? Bleeding all over the place like this, cutting up your forehead... You could be in the WWE having an easy time and you're doing this. Oh but mean old Vince this and that. What? This is the guy who said him, Roman, and Seth, when they started out in the Shield together refused to job to Cena was it or something? You're telling me they were able to do that at that point, to Cena, who is still very much Super Cena at that point and unquestionably above everybody in the company... but as the top stars in the company, you couldn't be in a clique with them to allow you to do what you largely wanted? Please. 

Anyway, back to the match, the finish! They booked a nice moment. Kingston, a heel, has a nice face turn here. He has had his issues with his former friend Moxley but he can't bare to watch him get left there to get hurt by Omega and company. He goes out there and unable to remove Moxley from the ring covers him up to protect him... and then... the ring does not explode. A little smoke, some sparklers go off... and Kingston is selling it like he is dead... embarrassing. THINK! Put your head up, look around, act like Omega tricked all of you. Granted, he does have his head down and perhaps can't realise that it hasn't gone to plan... but continuing to sell even as the guy he was saving is cutting a promo post show is... oh dear... Omega making the ring explode? With the chance he might be in it? Of course not. Moxley after the show tried to save it by saying Omega is terrible at building exploding rings. Khan has been saying the same. Except... Kingston. Commentators too. No, you could save it if Kingston adlibbed on the fly but as he didn't, it's simply an embarrassing moment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Stupid. Speaking of stupid. Is there a more stupid man in wrestling than Moxley? Honest question. This is what you wanted? Bleeding all over the place like this, cutting up your forehead... You could be in the WWE having an easy time and you're doing this. Oh but mean old Vince this and that. What? This is the guy who said him, Roman, and Seth, when they started out in the Shield together refused to job to Cena was it or something? You're telling me they were able to do that at that point, to Cena, who is still very much Super Cena at that point and unquestionably above everybody in the company... but as the top stars in the company, you couldn't be in a clique with them to allow you to do what you largely wanted? Please. 

Think with Mox, he loves the gimmick deathmatches, ECW style stuff etc. Think the guy was pretty logical personally, if he wanted to return to that style of wrestling it's best get rich in WWE then leave to do what you want. If AEW didnt exist, he'd be in some indy fed doing the same thing. Personally, I like Moxley but felt Dean Ambrose was more interesting and had real potential between 2013 - 2016, aside some of the stupid bits he did on TV. WWE didn't want him to be the guy, so booked him poorly despite being fairly over keeping him in that utility main event role. Thought his WWE championship run was underrated (and Smackdown Live during that period).  Yeah I don't believe that they refused Cena, he could basically have guys fired or pushed down the card back then. McMahon would also make it happen, if he really wanted it to. Obviously he was very into the Shield and booked them very strong, so nothing about how they 'refused'.

In regards to AEW, I agree with most of what you put.

Think I'll start with the positives:

- Cinematic Match. Thought it was fun and entertaining whilst a bit silly but most cinematic matches are. Best match of the night imo. Think Sting could stop wrestling here, would be a decent end to his career after the Rollins powerbomb botch.

- Adam Page/Matt Hardy. Thought it was decent, quite liked the finish even with the large outside interference. Adam Page has alot of upside long term.

- Miro. Miro potentially going his own way with a tease from spillting from that jobber guy/women who has done nothing but hinder him. 

- Thought the tag battle royal was ok, quite liked the Royal Rumble entrant thing they did throughout.

- Think Paul Wight has potential to be a good backstage addition to AEW, think he's a good talker personally.  

The negatives:

- Commentary. Commentary on the cinematic match, just was plain annoying. 

- Tag teams. Apart from Young Bucks/FTR, are AEW's tag teams are just singles guys they don't know what to do with lumped together. Too many wrestle in the style like the flippy style and spot heavy style like the Young Bucks. Even Luchasuarus who is what like 6'5. 

- Joshis. Too many joshis, maybe pick 1-2 and mix them in and out.

- Orange Cassidy. I know hes is a fairly polarizing figure anyways and do understand people enjoy him as he's a comedy guy, but can't stand him personally. 

- Ladder match. Terrible, really really bad. Botches glore, low midcard entrants, terrible rap at the beginning, Cody missing half the match, Sonic ring on top of the ladder. May be the worst ladder match I've seen.

- Tony Khan's suprise signing. Feel sorry for Christian, as the way Khan hyped up the signing they expected a big star. I think Christian is great and was a real talent in his prime, but he can't live up to that hype. Big Show was a legit surprise as it came from nowhere, couldn't they have Christian just show up and fans would have reacted better and not been disappointed.

- The final match. Granted the match itself was medicore at best, and because AEW has done Moxley/Omega fighting with weapons a million times, decided to go down a deathmatch route. Couldn't have they have done a Hell in the Cell or something similar, if there was the potential of technical difficulties. The finish however, oh my......I should hate it but it's Shockmaster levels of stupid. The selling of the sparkers and fireworks display was so funny, and commentary selling it. Mox/Kingston really should have used their initiative here. Still, it's a PPV destroyer, AEW could have put on a amazing show and that would still be remembered over it. 

Tony has got to be careful, as this is going down a potential Dixie Carter TNA route.

Edited by GloriousFury9414
  • Like 2

I'm glad a majority of people thought that ending was absolute garbage. It's on the same level as Rollins/Fiend from Hell in a Cell. Not believable by any means.

What gets me is that Tony Khan half-assed tried to stick up for it by saying in his post-show interview 'Well what did you want us to do, actually blow someone up?' Crazy that he even tried to defend that, he knows it was a flop.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Think with Mox, he loves the gimmick deathmatches, ECW style stuff etc. Think the guy was pretty logical personally, if he wanted to return to that style of wrestling it's best get rich in WWE then leave to do what you want. If AEW didnt exist, he'd be in some indy fed doing the same thing. Personally, I like Moxley but felt Dean Ambrose was more interesting and had real potential between 2013 - 2016, aside some of the stupid bits he did on TV. WWE didn't want him to be the guy, so booked him poorly despite being fairly over keeping him in that utility main event role. Thought his WWE championship run was underrated (and Smackdown Live during that period).  Yeah I don't believe that they refused Cena, he could basically have guys fired or pushed down the card back then. McMahon would also make it happen, if he really wanted it to. Obviously he was very into the Shield and booked them very strong, so nothing about how they 'refused'.

I certainly get that he loves them. It's still very stupid. 

5 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

- Miro. Miro potentially going his own way with a tease from spillting from that jobber guy/women who has done nothing but hinder him. 

- Think Paul Wight has potential to be a good backstage addition to AEW, think he's a good talker personally.  

- Tony Khan's suprise signing. Feel sorry for Christian, as the way Khan hyped up the signing they expected a big star. I think Christian is great and was a real talent in his prime, but he can't live up to that hype. Big Show was a legit surprise as it came from nowhere, couldn't they have Christian just show up and fans would have reacted better and not been disappointed.

- The final match. Granted the match itself was medicore at best, and because AEW has done Moxley/Omega fighting with weapons a million times, decided to go down a deathmatch route. Couldn't have they have done a Hell in the Cell or something similar, if there was the potential of technical difficulties. The finish however, oh my......I should hate it but it's Shockmaster levels of stupid. The selling of the sparkers and fireworks display was so funny, and commentary selling it. Mox/Kingston really should have used their initiative here. Still, it's a PPV destroyer, AEW could have put on a amazing show and that would still be remembered over it. 

Tony has got to be careful, as this is going down a potential Dixie Carter TNA route.

The rest of your post are reasonable points but I'd like to respond to these three.

Ah yes, the tease of the split. I usually do not like splits as WWE is diseased in how it loves to break up everyone as soon as they can... but Miro being away from a low carder like Kip is... likely best.

Paul Wight will be good. Big Show is one of those guys a lot of people don't think of as a good talker but he is. His commentary work while we've seen only in limited fashion thus far, did impress when he did it. 

Oh damn... I forgot all about the mystery signing... it was so impactful! No pun intended with Christian having been on Impact in the past.

Christian was a name I'd heard and... yeah... as the meme goes... It's... Christian. What he did was obvious, it was the Jericho thing where he comes out, signs the paper, and then leaves with no promo or anything. It worked for Jericho all those years ago so they do it here and... no. Christian also better be a heel because if not... it'll be even more stupid.

Tony Khan is... not good. First off the conferences with Meltzer and all that comes off... markish. He also reacts horribly either via these talks or on Twitter. Breaking kayfabe blatantly is stupid. Yes, everyone knows it's scripted... that doesn't mean you just come off and say it. It's also blaming the fans which is going against one of those claims of theirs that they are unlike WWE who is seen as a company that often blames it's fans (even though Vince is never on the record as doing it). His constant need to respond to randomposter5673 about this or that, citing "demos" and such is just... what are you doing? Imagine Vince doing it. Going on Twitter and responding to people attacking his product with "actually Raw always ranks highly and has great demos". You can't imagine it because Vince comes off as being above such petty matters. Tony comes off really badly.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:53 PM, Rozalia1 said:

I certainly get that he loves them. It's still very stupid. 

For sure, AEW's product any isn't better than WWE's although he'll tell you that it's the greatest, most revolutionary wrestling product.

Oh damn... I forgot all about the mystery signing... it was so impactful! No pun intended with Christian having been on Impact in the past.

Christian was a name I'd heard and... yeah... as the meme goes... It's... Christian. What he did was obvious, it was the Jericho thing where he comes out, signs the paper, and then leaves with no promo or anything. It worked for Jericho all those years ago so they do it here and... no. Christian also better be a heel because if not... it'll be even more stupid.

They even used his TNA theme! Think he'll be a face, with the whole 'Out work everyone' gear seems kinda face-ish, still you'd expect a short promo or something. Always liked him more as a heel though.

Tony Khan is... not good. First off the conferences with Meltzer and all that comes off... markish. He also reacts horribly either via these talks or on Twitter. Breaking kayfabe blatantly is stupid. Yes, everyone knows it's scripted... that doesn't mean you just come off and say it. It's also blaming the fans which is going against one of those claims of theirs that they are unlike WWE who is seen as a company that often blames it's fans (even though Vince is never on the record as doing it). His constant need to respond to randomposter5673 about this or that, citing "demos" and such is just... what are you doing? Imagine Vince doing it. Going on Twitter and responding to people attacking his product with "actually Raw always ranks highly and has great demos". You can't imagine it because Vince comes off as being above such petty matters. Tony comes off really badly.

Yeah, I think you'd have a certain level of professionalism if you are fronting a global company like AEW. I was genuinely surprised that he is 38 years old, thought he would act more mature than that. Khan here in the UK, also has a significant role in a Fulham FC, a football team and acts the same way on social media as he does with AEW. He's undermined the manager of the team multiple times on twitter, argued with fans over poor match results, argued with journalists among other things. I understand he is passionate about his business ventures, but arguing and trying to justify his decisions with fans on social media is just stupid.

Wow. Just wow.

AEW is the best thing ever. I swear it really is and they are totally going to put WWE out of business. We should all celebrate now!!

lolyeahright

First they have an extremely botched 'explosion' ending to their PPV and on the Dynamite ep that just aired there was practically 30 minutes where you couldn't hear anything because of some sort of audio interference or mix up or crossed wiring or whatever with what sounded like some sort of basketball game

Yep. This is totally the perfect company that does everything perfectly and will finally put 'the big bad' WWE out of business for good like all you marks clearly want.

Except... you know... they won't. ROTFLMFAO

Christian and Big Show may have possibly just made the worst decision of their careers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Wow. Just wow.

AEW is the best thing ever. I swear it really is and they are totally going to put WWE out of business. We should all celebrate now!!

lolyeahright

First they have an extremely botched 'explosion' ending to their PPV and on the Dynamite ep that just aired there was practically 30 minutes where you couldn't hear anything because of some sort of audio interference or mix up or crossed wiring or whatever with what sounded like some sort of basketball game

Yep. This is totally the perfect company that does everything perfectly and will finally put 'the big bad' WWE out of business for good like all you marks clearly want.

Christian and Big Show may have possibly just made the worst decision of their careers.

I'm curious what service you use to watch the show and/or where from.  I keep hearing about the audio issues but when I watched the show there weren't any.  I'm assuming it's my location, I'm on the West Coast of the U.S. and it airs at 8 o'clock my time, which is 3 hours after the live showing which I'm sure gave them a chance to fix it.

Anyways, I'll always respect you and your opinion but please know that not every AEW fan is a "mark" that wants WWE outta business.  I'll admit I gave up on WWE because there was nothing that was entertaining to me anymore, but I'd rather them get better than go away, no company should go unopposed.

I also thought AEW recovered from the botched explosion pretty well.  They went the obvious route with Kenny and Callis neither confirming or denying sabotage and Kingston salvaged his reaction as best as he could.  They took it on head-first and what they came up with was good enough for me, I'd rather move on then fixate.  If it was a booking decision (like Rollins vs. the Fiend in HiaC) that'd be one thing but this was a "shit happens" moment.

About tonight's show, all I keep seeing in the thread now is negative, negative, negative.  If people hate what they're seeing, that's fine, but was there honestly nothing good about the dynamite that just aired?  I personally loved the opener and think Fenix is a star in the making.  Again, I get it that his style's not for everyone and not everything goes 100% smooth in all of his matches but him and Matt put on a hell of a show... and with a clean finish!!  Cody smashed a jobber like he should (I'm still upset about the Peter Avalon bullshit) and is starting an angle with Penta that should be great.  Darby and Scorpio Sky f--cking KILLED IT!!  That's the hill I'll die on, if you guys couldn't find any entertainment in that match then I don't know what you want.  The roll-up finish didn't appeal to me much but it gave Scorpio a logical outlet for his heel turn.  Dominate the match, get caught, snap.  Easy.  I also loved the MJF swerve.  AEW's getting... scratch that, has gotten faction heavy but MJF turning the tables on the table turners while the tables were turning was awesome.  FTR and Spears have a common link in Tully so screw it, FTR can feud with the Proud and Powerful, Hager and Wardlow already have their history, Spears can work with Sammy and of course Jericho and MJF will have to clash, hopefully with MJF coming out on top and solidifying himself as the top heel in the company.

Now the bad, the 6-woman match was painful.  Maki Itoh can f--k right off and she can do it right now.  She sucks, I hate her and every time she comes out I'm gonna find something else to do.  The Japanese goofiness has REALLY worn out its welcome in the division, I hate it... I hate it.  Britt and Thunder is the only thing I like that's going on with the women.  I also hate seeing Vicki again.  I also have no idea why Archer and Sting are doing anything together and Sting's floundering badly.   Both Edge and Christian being in the title pictures for their respective companies makes me wanna roll my eyes too, it's 2021 dammit, AEW has plenty of talent that wasn't over in 1997 that they could use in their title picture.

Matt Jackson vs. Rey Fenix - Fenix... okay, I should admit that perhaps when people say he is Mysterios successor they aren't completely in crazy land. Thing is... I'm not a big Lucha guy and well, Fenix still has problems. First off the crazy misses he does, not talking whiffs on a kick or something, I'm talking overshooting dives in crazy fashion. He'll paralyze himself one of these days at this rate. Respect he always goes 200%, but it would be best for everybody if he cooled it. Needs to speak more English too and I don't mean that in a xenophobic manner. This ain't Mexico/Japan, speaking English is important especially if he is going to be a face. Speaking of... that is the other issue with him compared to Mysterio. Because AEW is so incompetently booked (I'd argue even more so than WWE often is. At least they aren't booking constant heel vs heel matches, swapping the alignment of guys for a few weeks before swapping them back, so forth) it only hurts him, but that ain't his fault. As for the match... the most notable thing I took out of it was it was very odd that Matt Jackson did that superkick to PAC. I get it, hey my partner got hit so I'll hit theirs... but PAC is supposed to be this psycho and... you're just making him look weak.

Moxley/Kingston promo - It was explained exactly how I thought it would be. It's a solid explanation and Khan should have talked to Kingston before doing his public jacking off session. Not that this is rocket science.

Cody Rhodes/Penta scuffle - Penta had nice swagger... but again, the English problem exists for him too. I have little interest in the program too. Cody is likely losing so he can take a break due to the situation with his wife so... why not put over Jade instead? Man even has an injured arm she can target. In-ring she is as tall as him and would benefit a lot by putting Cody on the shelve. Nice to see that she is going to be on the show next week, I look forward to it.

Sting/Archer promo - And just like that Archer is back to heel. As I said, it's a terrible issue that AEW has. 

Ethan Page vs. Lee Johnson - No. Just no. No interest at all. Page does really bad post-match beatdowns. Embarrassing work. 

Omega Segment - Was solid throughout. We confirmation I suppose that Christian will be a face... so... why did he introduce himself at the PPV in heel fashion? Another AEW problem. Things just happen even if they make zero sense based on that person's alignment. Why would I want to cheer a guy who feels he so much better than everyone that he doesn't even want to talk to the fans?

6 woman tag - ... ... ... Okay, sure, the heels at the PPV attacked the faces. It was a basic attack. This in no way justifies the faces surprise attacking the heels like this. Then as we can always book things worse, THE HEELS BEAT THE FACES DOWN! Maki Itoh didn't even join in and when attacked by a face clowned on them. I get it, they want the visual and moment of Maki Itoh doing her song while there is fighting in the ring. Okay, here is an idea, I know, who am I to think I know better than the booker of the year, how about the faces come out yeah? Then Maki Itoh is the heel out first, and as her song distracts the faces, the heels (outside Maki) hit the ring and start beating down the faces. By having the faces do a surprise attack and still lose you just made them look like crap out there. Of course, I know exactly what passes through their minds when they book this nonsense. Well you see, the faces will ultimately win the match so it's all good. No. Just no. It does not work like that.

Anyway. I was keeping an eye on Maki Itoh and... I don't see that many issues. Funnily enough her gimmick is great at masking much of her problems. Those terrible mic shots for example. Her not being able to do them right? Or her purposely doing them wrong and like a goof because she is a heel goof? Stuff like that. I also don't hate her getting pinned even though you know... new exciting talent is instantly beaten on TV... she is a heel goof whose gimmick, even though the commentators haven't alerted people to it because the booker didn't care to prod them to, is that she is a failure at everything she does/at life.

TNT Championship Match - Does nothing for me. Sky "heel turning" is blah as he had already turned heel as far as I'm concerned. You were thinking perhaps, with Darby having an out due to the match he had... Team Tazz perhaps interfering... and AEW having no Black male talent treated well on their show that maybe they'd make the switch... but nah. Scorpio is going to turn heel so he can do a lot of jobs to faces, rather than heels. I'm no progressive type to be clear. However I'm well aware that when it comes to sports fans having people who "look like them" is considered a nice thing. It helps bring in new fans, something that wrestling as a whole has been terrible at for a long time. Why is AEW hurting itself like this? 

Inner Circle segment - This was a very nice segment. I really liked the fact that the Inner Circle didn't turn on Jericho. If you look at it the Sammy thing looks stupid if it was planned as... why? Why was Jericho teaming at the PPV with a guy he knew was a snake too? Additionally, you give Sammy this spotlight and then beat him like this? I'd have modified the beatdown a bit by having Sammy keep getting back up to try and save Jericho so he gets a nice spotlight and some shine. Going forward I do think that Jericho would be better served as a manager, with Sammy as his top guy. The new team for MJF was a bit weird though due to the numbers. You do an obvious new 4 horsemen... and have 5 members? (Tully is the J.J and manager so he is fine). 

15 hours ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Yeah, I think you'd have a certain level of professionalism if you are fronting a global company like AEW. I was genuinely surprised that he is 38 years old, thought he would act more mature than that. Khan here in the UK, also has a significant role in a Fulham FC, a football team and acts the same way on social media as he does with AEW. He's undermined the manager of the team multiple times on twitter, argued with fans over poor match results, argued with journalists among other things. I understand he is passionate about his business ventures, but arguing and trying to justify his decisions with fans on social media is just stupid.

He perhaps thinks it makes him more relatable. It really just makes him look insecure and unprofessional. 

2 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Wow. Just wow.

lolyeahright

It's not the 1st time they've had issues like this and do seem to have them far more often than WWE. Heck, the audio issue is small potatoes to them straight up showing no show like that episode X months back. 

AEW marks are insufferable yes, though I'm not sure if there is anything around here. Meltzer and his followers don't help. The Japanese wrestling jacking off was bad enough, but this extra AEW jacking off is really annoying yeah as ultimately they are not this anti-WWE like they're made out. 

Christian and Big Show will be making a lot of money for likely little work at the end of their careers as active wrestlers (possible in Show's case). Big Show wants to be a commentator and doing a good job here likely gets WWE ringing him up to pay him a bundle to commentate for them. 

51 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I'm curious what service you use to watch the show and/or where from.  I keep hearing about the audio issues but when I watched the show there weren't any.  I'm assuming it's my location, I'm on the West Coast of the U.S. and it airs at 8 o'clock my time, which is 3 hours after the live showing which I'm sure gave them a chance to fix it.

Anyways, I'll always respect you and your opinion but please know that not every AEW fan is a "mark" that wants WWE outta business.  I'll admit I gave up on WWE because there was nothing that was entertaining to me anymore, but I'd rather them get better than go away, no company should go unopposed.

I also thought AEW recovered from the botched explosion pretty well.  They went the obvious route with Kenny and Callis neither confirming or denying sabotage and Kingston salvaged his reaction as best as he could.  They took it on head-first and what they came up with was good enough for me, I'd rather move on then fixate.  If it was a booking decision (like Rollins vs. the Fiend in HiaC) that'd be one thing but this was a "shit happens" moment.

About tonight's show, all I keep seeing in the thread now is negative, negative, negative.  If people hate what they're seeing, that's fine, but was there honestly nothing good about the dynamite that just aired?  I personally loved the opener and think Fenix is a star in the making.  Again, I get it that his style's not for everyone and not everything goes 100% smooth in all of his matches but him and Matt put on a hell of a show... and with a clean finish!!  Cody smashed a jobber like he should (I'm still upset about the Peter Avalon bullshit) and is starting an angle with Penta that should be great.  Darby and Scorpio Sky f--cking KILLED IT!!  That's the hill I'll die on, if you guys couldn't find any entertainment in that match then I don't know what you want.  The roll-up finish didn't appeal to me much but it gave Scorpio a logical outlet for his heel turn.  Dominate the match, get caught, snap.  Easy.  I also loved the MJF swerve.  AEW's getting... scratch that, has gotten faction heavy but MJF turning the tables on the table turners while the tables were turning was awesome.  FTR and Spears have a common link in Tully so screw it, FTR can feud with the Proud and Powerful, Hager and Wardlow already have their history, Spears can work with Sammy and of course Jericho and MJF will have to clash, hopefully with MJF coming out on top and solidifying himself as the top heel in the company.

Now the bad, the 6-woman match was painful.  Maki Itoh can f--k right off and she can do it right now.  She sucks, I hate her and every time she comes out I'm gonna find something else to do.  The Japanese goofiness has REALLY worn out its welcome in the division, I hate it... I hate it.  Britt and Thunder is the only thing I like that's going on with the women.  I also hate seeing Vicki again.  I also have no idea why Archer and Sting are doing anything together and Sting's floundering badly.   Both Edge and Christian being in the title pictures for their respective companies makes me wanna roll my eyes too, it's 2021 dammit, AEW has plenty of talent that wasn't over in 1997 that they could use in their title picture.

In regards to any negativity here or elsewhere. There was always going to be a honeymoon phase. Anti-AEW people from day 1 are going to be negative yes, is what it is. However people more neutral are only going to give a pass for so long. As I said in previous posts regarding the women for example. I understand the issues they are going to have and that they need time. However, a lot of time has passed and the situation is not fixed. More people raising an issue is good as it puts them to the fire and tells them to get to fixing the problem.

Dynamite does have it's upsides. They are generally watchable shows, far more than RAW (which is often bad+3 hours), more than NXT (tends to be dull more often than not), though I'd say Smackdown might be above it. It has some good talent on it too even if it does have a bunch of talent that should not be hired at all. However, and this is what has been my chief complaint with the show which have only been made worse (more infuriating) to me ever since Meltzer and his sycophants gave Tony Khan the best booker award... the show is booked horribly, and it is not a recent thing. There are constant matches between people of the same alignment, something which should be no issue considering the sheer size of AEW's roster (why have they hired so many people anyway?). Clearly someone in the back will at times bring this to attention... which means X wrestlers will change alignment for a couple of weeks and then go back to their original alignment. Shows will often repeat the same angles on the same show with different people when they could be done a month apart minimum at least, but for some reason once an idea is gotten it has to be done as often as possible NOW. I'm sorry if I'm bringing negativity, I perhaps should shorten these posts and not speak about issues unless they're really offensive, but there are some real problems. 

For your Darby vs Scorpio comment... I guess the way I'd put it is if you are not interested in the match up then it becomes quite hard to get into a match. Sky has been handled so badly, not to mention he was in the witness protection program seemingly for months and came back to zero fanfare whatsoever... why should I care about a match between him and Darby? 3-5 mins of Darby beating? Okay. Once it starts going longer I just trail off. If Sky had actually been handled well up to this point I'd be far more complimentary certainly.

It feels a bit strange that you're anti-Maki while I'm pro hehehe. I've explained my thoughts on her above. 

Good point on the Edge/Christian thing. It's not just hiring Christian while Edge is in WWE, but also it seems having Christian wrestling for the AEW title around Wrestlemania time when Edge will be doing so for one of WWE's world titles. It just looks really bad. 

8 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Wow. Just wow.

lolyeahright

Most of the stuff posted recently here is pretty critical of the product, personally I want the best for AEW so WWE can improve not so they go out of business. No need to call us 'marks' when you probably haven't even looked at the comments. 

5 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Here's your god damn evidence.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/2021/3/11/22325041/aew-dynamite-tnt-technical-difficulties-audio-problem-nba-game-ethan-page-debut-qt-marshall-heel

Sure it was east coast only but the fact that this still happened is fucking hilarious to me

Calm down dude, I wasn't denying it happened, I said it didn't happen on my feed (West Coast) and was curious what your feed was, there were enough people mentioning it that it obviously happened, again, I was curious about the details.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

They need to get that title off of Shida and on Britt ASAP!!  I know Rosa won the match but I'm not certain about her status with the company.  Britt shined like a superstar in that match last night and her time is f--king now!!

As much as I love Shida, her title reign has been a wet fart. She's had some good matches, the Nyla Rose matches were actually really good. But my God, I so want Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker to have the title.

Imagine if that match last night was for the womens title. Thats the best damn womens match AEW have put on, but it (technically) doesn't count being unsanctioned. A match like that for the title would have put there womens division out there even more. Last night did a lot for it, but there is no prestige at all for the womens belt. 

They just don't give enough time for the womens title. When was the last time Shida has a match on TV ? I'm still hoping they can inject something into the title, especially after putting on the damn awesome match last night

Really enjoyed the show, the main event was the best women's match like ever, also this is random but since we're at a AEW discussion I wonder if anyone would like to watch AEW the next day with me on Discord or PS chat groups, miss the times people here were into wrestling, if anyone's interested just message me

On 3/18/2021 at 1:30 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

*video snip*

So I have a question for you.  I'm not trying to needle you or start a fight or anything, this is a legitimate question.  Do you want AEW to fail?  I know from previous posts you're a WWE fan for life, and it seemed like around this time last year you were enjoying AEW, however the change in your tone lately has me curious. 

I get there's AEW fans out there who love running there mouths about AEW putting WWE out of business and what-not but there's also another, larger but quieter sect of fans that simply want AEW to put on good shows, and hopefully as a result WWE will step up their game and improve their product.  I'm pretty sure most, if not all of the people on this thread fall into that category.  I'll dmit I laugh at the stupid jabs AEW takes at WWE (just like I laughed at Gillberg or the Nacho man and Huckster) but I would much rather they (the WWE) improved instead of died.  You see, plenty of fans out there aren't into the way WWE does things (Vince has micromanaged everything to the point of it just feeling too formulaic and stale for me anymore) and AEW offers us an alternative.  One company having a monopoly on the industry is just plain bad for wrestling.  For years WWE was "it" and during that time wrestlers who were rejected by the fans were shoved down our throats while favorites were buried because on man didn't like something about them.  We were essentially being told what we like instead of being asked, and it turned a lot of people off the product.  WWE is more financially successful than it has ever been before right now (and that's a whole different can of worms) but in the last several months RAW ratings have hit a record low... only to break that record the following week, the shows (although I hear Smackdown is back to being decent) just aren't good.  The last time WWE was as poorly received as it is now was the early/mid nineties, then WCW came along to compete and we got what's universally considered the single greatest era of wrestling ever.  Vince saw what was happening and acted accordingly.  Competition is necessary for improvement so I ask you, do you want AEW to fail?

18 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

So I have a question for you.  I'm not trying to needle you or start a fight or anything, this is a legitimate question.  Do you want AEW to fail?  I know from previous posts you're a WWE fan for life, and it seemed like around this time last year you were enjoying AEW, however the change in your tone lately has me curious. 

I get there's AEW fans out there who love running there mouths about AEW putting WWE out of business and what-not but there's also another, larger but quieter sect of fans that simply want AEW to put on good shows, and hopefully as a result WWE will step up their game and improve their product.  I'm pretty sure most, if not all of the people on this thread fall into that category.  I'll dmit I laugh at the stupid jabs AEW takes at WWE (just like I laughed at Gillberg or the Nacho man and Huckster) but I would much rather they (the WWE) improved instead of died.  You see, plenty of fans out there aren't into the way WWE does things (Vince has micromanaged everything to the point of it just feeling too formulaic and stale for me anymore) and AEW offers us an alternative.  One company having a monopoly on the industry is just plain bad for wrestling.  For years WWE was "it" and during that time wrestlers who were rejected by the fans were shoved down our throats while favorites were buried because on man didn't like something about them.  We were essentially being told what we like instead of being asked, and it turned a lot of people off the product.  WWE is more financially successful than it has ever been before right now (and that's a whole different can of worms) but in the last several months RAW ratings have hit a record low... only to break that record the following week, the shows (although I hear Smackdown is back to being decent) just aren't good.  The last time WWE was as poorly received as it is now was the early/mid nineties, then WCW came along to compete and we got what's universally considered the single greatest era of wrestling ever.  Vince saw what was happening and acted accordingly.  Competition is necessary for improvement so I ask you, do you want AEW to fail?

No. Just putting it out there that they may be setting themselves up for failure.

But my experience has been me seeing most people wanting WWE out of business

24 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

No. Just putting it out there that they may be setting themselves up for failure.

But my experience has been me seeing most people wanting WWE out of business

I don't agree with the video but fair enough.  Also, I hear you on the people wanting WWE gone, I just chalk it up to those being the vocal minority and/or the "social media generation" who think every result has to be as extreme as possible. 

Took me a while to get around to the show. I'll try to be quick with my thoughts here.

Could they bill Penta at 20Xlbs? It's such a minor note and it bothers me they bill him under 200. It's just hurting the talent pointlessly. Wrestling fudges numbers and there really is nothing wrong with that as long as it ain't absurd. Also, the man poses non-stop... like, Jade did it... in her first match and I mean... look at her... but what is Penta's excuse? Also... Cody rolled him up... after having his bad arm snapped... with the bad arm? Why? Just have Penta beat Cody and send him off to his wife. Penta's manager is a good addition, I like the smiling and energy he puts into the heel statements he has to say.

Good promo from MJF. Spears is... not good. Sorry, I don't care if the "boys" like him, the fans certainly don't and for good reason. Old, dull, and MJF out there lying about him being any good at all. Oh don't get me wrong, he likely is good in the ring in being "safe", but that is not something you can put over in kayfabe. Also, bloody hell that hair. Could he have worse hair? The only way Spears works at all in this group is if they really lean on this "chairmen" business. Give him zero wins yes, but have him constantly get himself DQ'ed. That way he gets a nice role as he can be the guy Faces face before going at MJF/whoever else with the established narrative being the Pinnacle is not putting up Spears to beat the Face in a match, but to hurt the face so they'll be weakened for MJF/whoever else.

Jade got a squash and everything was executed without issue. I don't think the referee should be backing Jade off personally. One look from her should stop him (the female ref can resist it though sure). I read and then looked up that it appears that she has joined with Vickie? Good, I believe I've mentioned that as a positive move. Vickie should really get a "Team Taz" (though without them all being jobbers) of her own by adding not just Jade but at the very least Maki Itoh too. It looks like Jade will be feuding with the returning Big Swole and Red Velvet... umm... honestly... I'd say use Nyla and any other heels Vickie gets to build up Big Swole with victories. Then have Jade beat her to powder repeatedly. Establish firmly that as "strong" as Nyla is, Jade is the ace and simply above and beyond, the real one to fear in the group. 

As for the women's match... all that and Baker is the one taking the loss. Crazy. Who is going to be the heel to take the title, finally, mercifully, from Shida? Baker is constantly losing so if they now have her take it then... wow. Is there anybody? Jade is the only one who could take it and I'd see no issue with it, but she is clearly going to be in a program with Swole/Velvet. Oh dear... I tell you, if they have that woman who does the mime stuff take it... I will laugh because there is no need for anger when obviously they're presenting a joke.

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

Baker is constantly losing

Dating back to September she's only lost 2 of her 9 singles matches, and one of them technically "didn't count" as it was unsanctioned.  Nyla recently beat her in a singles match, all of the other losses (there were 2) have been in tag matches where her partner took the pin, so they could easily justify giving her the title by having her say she has only lost once in the past 7 months.

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

Dating back to September she's only lost 2 of her 9 singles matches, and one of them technically "didn't count" as it was unsanctioned.  Nyla recently beat her in a singles match, all of the other losses (there were 2) have been in tag matches where her partner took the pin, so they could easily justify giving her the title by having her say she has only lost once in the past 7 months.

Okay, we'll look at them since Sept.

Lost to Big Swole in a feud ending match. 

Beat Red Velvet. Jobber.

Beat KiLynn King. Who? 

Beat Leyla Hirsch. Bigger deal in future perhaps, but thus far only beats enhancement talent and loses to everybody.

Lost tag match to Dark Order's women. You might say you should excuse this... but they could have simply not booked Baker in the match.

Beat Brooke Havok. Who?

Beat Shanna. Same deal as Leyla.

Beat Thunder Rosa. Notable, though possibly Rosa might not have been locked down yet so that was why, but okay.

Beat Madi Wrenkowski. Who?

Lost to Nyla Rose in a tournament match.

Beat Thunder Rosa and Riho in a tag match (I'd chalk this up as only being so due to Maki Itoh debuting)

Lost 6 person tag match against Thunder Rosa, Riho, and Shida.

Lost to Thunder Rosa in the Lights out match.

8 victories. 5 losses. 2 were tag matches sure. Lights out... no, no one cares if it "officially" didn't count. However, lets look closer at what actually makes up the numbers. Baker's wins are padded with victories over literal Who? people. Now yes, that in itself is not competely terrible, but they happen on Dark... which the majority of the audience does not see or care about. Watch just the main stuff and the look for Baker very much is she loses near every single important match she gets in. I mean just look at your timeframe (does not get better if you go further back), she has one notable victory to her name.

3 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Okay, we'll look at them since Sept.

Lost to Big Swole in a feud ending match. 

Beat Red Velvet. Jobber.

Beat KiLynn King. Who? 

Beat Leyla Hirsch. Bigger deal in future perhaps, but thus far only beats enhancement talent and loses to everybody.

Lost tag match to Dark Order's women. You might say you should excuse this... but they could have simply not booked Baker in the match.

Beat Brooke Havok. Who?

Beat Shanna. Same deal as Leyla.

Beat Thunder Rosa. Notable, though possibly Rosa might not have been locked down yet so that was why, but okay.

Beat Madi Wrenkowski. Who?

Lost to Nyla Rose in a tournament match.

Beat Thunder Rosa and Riho in a tag match (I'd chalk this up as only being so due to Maki Itoh debuting)

Lost 6 person tag match against Thunder Rosa, Riho, and Shida.

Lost to Thunder Rosa in the Lights out match.

8 victories. 5 losses. 2 were tag matches sure. Lights out... no, no one cares if it "officially" didn't count. However, lets look closer at what actually makes up the numbers. Baker's wins are padded with victories over literal Who? people. Now yes, that in itself is not competely terrible, but they happen on Dark... which the majority of the audience does not see or care about. Watch just the main stuff and the look for Baker very much is she loses near every single important match she gets in. I mean just look at your timeframe (does not get better if you go further back), she has one notable victory to her name.

Not gonna debate any of that, I was arguing against you saying she "constantly loses".  Also, I personally couldn't care less about the wins against nobody and losses against somebodies, she's the hottest female on the roster right now and deserves a title run more than anyone I can think of.