The AEW Discussion Thread

jackmadrox

Suzuki!!!!!

14 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Wouldn't mind Ruby Soho as well.

Adam Cole > Bryan for me. Never been a big Danielson fan. He can wrestle, no doubt. But i unno. Just not a huge fan of his. 

Still would be nice to see Danielson, but moreso Cole attacking Omega after due to how Omega kicked Cole out of Bullet Club. More history. 

Ruby Soho is guaranteed.

17 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

i swear, JR makes so many fuckin mistakes announcing. 

Cage Match: i don't know whos the legal man

ummmmm tornado rules....

Womens battle royal: "ruby riott".

fuck JR.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if JR decided to hang it up sooner than later.  I don't dislike him by any means but his best days are certainly behind him.  Excalibur is the backbone of the commentary, he and Schiovone (and eventually Jericho) would be just fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

Wouldn't bother me a bit if JR decided to hang it up sooner than later.  I don't dislike him by any means but his best days are certainly behind him.  Excalibur is the backbone of the commentary, he and Schiovone (and eventually Jericho) would be just fine.

exactly. 

Surprised they put Wight vs QT between Punks match and Omegas.

Hopefully its long enough i can take a shit. QT is boring and i really have 0 interest is Wight fka Big Show. 

Didn't think for a second they'd pull off the double debut.  Loved Adam Cole joining the Elite and turning it into a double swerve with Bryan, couldn't help it, I marked out. 

Edit:  forgot to add, PLEASE Bryan bring back cattle mutilation!!

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

What a cage match!

I haven't verbally yelled at my TV since I was a teenager. That cage match was unbelievable, that 3 count made me jump off the couch yelling "LETS GO". Scared the life out of my wife as I haven't ever done that in our 7 years together. Best match I've seen since I started watching AEW, period.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skurkitty said:

I haven't verbally yelled at my TV since I was a teenager. That cage match was unbelievable, that 3 count made me jump off the couch yelling "LETS GO". Scared the life out of my wife as I haven't ever done that in our 7 years together. Best match I've seen since I started watching AEW, period.

that event was nuts. loved it all but agreed. That cage match when it was looking like a squash almost and the tacks. i was yelling "fuck the young bucks" as well. I like them but even that i was like this match is bullshit. 

But at the end i jumped off the couch so high in excitement. 

Then even Suzuki i lost my shit being so excited!. Obvs the end with Cole and Bryan. Even Soho. 

Thats 2 times Bucks vs Lucha at All Out and 0-2 for Bucks against them. 

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

Obvs the end with Cole and Bryan. Even Soho. 

The debuts were a miss for me, I stopped watching WWE shortly after Punk left with the WWE Championship, which was 2011(?), things started feeling waaaay too PG. My only memories of Bryan are him being an annoyance like that of The Miz. Clearly by the crowds reaction tonight, he changed a lot over the years. Didn't start watching Wrestling again (AEW only) until 2020 so a lot of the "fresh talent" (I use fresh loosely because googling them they've been around for awhile) like Ruby, and Cole, I have never heard of. Regardless though the crowd hype got me hyped, and I'm excited AEW keeps pulling such well loved talent.

Only person I really want to see get signed is Bray Wyatt, a lot of his Fiend stuff appeared in my YouTube. As I watch a lot of horror related things and I guess the YouTube algorithm decided The Fiend was in that ballpark. His concept seemed super cool and creative, but I'm sure he was toned down HEAVILY due to WWEs new super kid friendly era. I can't imagine what he'd do with lesser restrictions.

Edited by Skurkitty

29 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

My only memories of Bryan are him being an annoyance like that of The Miz. Clearly by the crowds reaction tonight, he changed a lot over the years.

If anything, I'd say he's gone back to himself over the years, his early WWE days were when he was forced to change.  If you ever have some time to kill go back and watch some of his ROH work (matches with Takeshi Morishima, Nigel McGuiness and Tyler Black come to mind off the top of my head) the guy's a wrestling machine.  He also has a love for the business that's not rivaled by many, the title ascension ceremony that happened in Seattle between Cena and Orton several years ago, they filled the ring with former champions, including Daniel Bryan, for the segment and the chants for him were deafening.  The smile he wore during those chants was a smile that only someone who's genuinely overcome with joy could have, the guy is all the best things about wrestling in one package.

Edited by skidmarkgn
  • Like 2

Ending was great fun. Stumbled across Meltzer and more reputable dirtsheets running with Bryan was going to debut at All Out, so had an idea it was gonna happen. Loved Kenny on mic during Cole's Elite reunion. Cole REALLY needs to bulk up though, guy is so lightweight. Bucks look like bodybuilders compared to him lmao.

Bryan a huge get though, and one of the best in the industry right now even at his age. Glad to see Suzuki and Kojima getting good reactions too, as a Puroresu fan I'm glad these guys are getting brought over. 

Tag match, Christian/Omega were great. Punk took it easy on his return, but the match was solid. Tights didn't suit him much though, hope he goes back to his older gear. Matches on the card were all pretty good bar Battle Royale and Wight/QT and those were not too bad and in Wight/QT's case very short. 

AEW is in a great spot right now, lots of interesting talent to do new and fresh programs with. 

Edited by Glorious Fury

1 hour ago, Deadvember said:

A banger of a PPV, might even be better than X7!

Lots of amazing debuts as well as a fantastic night of wrestling. 100% worth watching for any fan of wrestling!

way better than X7. Yes i said it. X7 has a few crap matches:

APA/Tazz vs RTC

Chyna vs Ivory

Gimmick Battle Royal

and id even argue Jericho vs Regal was too short (7min).

This All Out event had one crap match: Paul Wight vs QT. Barely long enough for a shit.

All Out 2021 > Mania X7

Not bad for a "t-shirt company". I thought MJF should've beat Jericho. I like Jericho as a commentator, hopefully when JR retires(I love JR, but cmon with the innuendos when the women are wrestling and half the time he just seems stoned But there's a reason why he's one of the best, especially when Cole and Danielson came out). Darby made Punk look better than he is(I know he hasn't wrestle in 7 years), maybe hopefully set up a Sting vs Punk match down the line. Paul Wight moved around gingerly, so I was glad that match was over quick. I liked the women's royal rumble(I understand Ruby Soho winning, but I wanted Thunder Rosa to win. Was bummed out Shida got eliminated so early). I don't know if it's just me, but doesn't it look like these guys look happier than they were in WWE? Miro is amazing, Moxley looks energetic, Adam Cole and Danielson just smiling. Overall a great PPV. 

45 minutes ago, willmill97 said:

How did Adam Cole get around the 90 day no compete clause?

his contact expired. He wasnt released.  WWE tried to re-sign him and move him to main roster and from what little ive read, are talks died down and he wanted more money that was non-negotiable. But regardless of that, i think him going to AEW was a given even before he finished his feud with Kyle.

Now him joining the Elite was not something i expected given what happened years ago but.... i do see Adam Cole costing Omega the title to someone (probably not Danielson, maybe Danielson and Omega are the first 60min draw in AEW?) but i guess ugh... Hangman.

Holllyyyy shiiit! What a PPV! 

That Tag match has to be one of the best Tag Team matches I've ever seen, easily the MotN. Punk/Darby was a little slower than I wanted, but fun and solid none the less. And the main event was a solid match as well, but the ending was definitely the highlight of the entire show...as soon as Cole showed up I knew he was joining The Elite, that man is a career Heel. And Danielson is looking great.

The only match on the card that I thought was meh was Paul Wight/QT Marshall, and even then it wasn't terrible. And while I enjoyed MJF/Jericho...I think it would have been perfect if they found a way to build a story around MJF winning with Jericho's foot on the rope rather than going with the restart....even then with restarting, MJF still should have won. 

It's just nice being able to watch a PPV and being excited for what's next. I can't wait for Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Preshow 10 man tag - Flipped through it as I knew I was going to miss nothing. What little I saw involved contrived spots and it was overall just bad. Faces won and then milled about in the ring, Yuta was particularly bad as he was out of position and had to quickly get into it at the end which wasn't smoothed, all while we can see the heels just waiting to do their... post match beatdown. Now I want to hear it. In a pointless 10 man match full of underneath talent what is the point in doing a post match beatdown? The Butcher returning? Why not have him return within the match? Or interfering within the match? Coming in after his team has lost, getting some heat, then getting run off? Really? This stuff bothers me a bunch in AEW because it shows just how much the booker of the year can't help himself. Just get in, have the stupid match, faces win, everyone is happy, move on. 

-

Eddie Kingston vs Miro - Solid match from what I saw with the face getting screwed in a reasonable way. There are wrinkles of course which to start would be Kingston doing a thumb to the eye, a heel move but it works for Kingston so that ain't the issue, it was more doing it right in front of the referee. Do that stuff without the referee seeing please or if you must clearly establish the referee admonishing the user that next time it'll be a DQ which the commentary should then communicate, not "Well that was easy as our refereeing is a joke". I also can't recall the last time I've seen that spot at the end, certainly not in AEW, of a referee stopped guys going into an exposed turnbuckle. Cool obviously, but rules have to be consistent and matter all the time. Not whenever there is going to be a spot that relies on them. Regardless, a solid affair outside those details that annoyed me a bit. And yes, very fun/fitting/ironic/whatever that Miro did in fact "Redeem" Kingston's "nuts".

+

Kojima vs Moxley - Heatless match against a random notable old Japanese wrestler. The self indulgence of Khan/Moxley. I really don't like the "machinegun chops" that were seen here and in the previous match. A recent addition (at least to people on TV) to many modern movesets (last 5 years), seemingly gotten from Japan as it seemed quite popular over there from what I gathered. The normal chop is a stupid wrestling move itself (Bret Hart is correct on this) but at least is certainly a believable thing that doesn't look stupid. Machine gun chops pretty much always look stupid. Hate that exchange they had at the start also which is another thing guys have gotten from Japan which is just stupid. It can be good and make sense if placed near the end of a match where both guys are tired and so can be believable, but at the start it just looks stupid unless it is a powerful face/heel no selling all shots before retaliating with multiple/one big shot to put the opponent down. 

-

Britt Baker vs Kris Statlander - Britt Baker has advanced a lot and is the best Woman's champion AEW has had very easily. Statlander meanwhile I don't recall looking better than in this match as far as her performance goes. Is Orange Cassidy evolving his gimmick? In this match he basically dropped his gimmick and was very animated and vocal. 

+

Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros - What was Excalibur talking about this being their first straight up tag match since 2 year ago? The cheek to try and sell this as some manner of rare notable/rare encounter considering the amount of damn heel vs heel wrestling matches these two teams have had. Anyway... for a start it is a tornado tag so that is a big plus. As the Lucha Brothers are apparently incapable of having a proper standard tag match then this is how you have to cover for them. Question though. If weapons are legal. Why even bother with the bag over the cage bit? Just wear the... thumbtack loaded shoe... to start. Also, Penta is who protects his brother from the attack and takes it? Fenix has actual face potential if they cared to make use of it and Penta who can only really be a heel is who does this face move? Stupid. You knew they'd do a off the top of the cage spot but of course, this is Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros, so it has to be extra stupid. Fenix crossbodies 3 guys in the ring, Penta in the middle taking most of it and... Penta instantly gets up to go into a double team move. The result was then a Lucha Brother win which was ??? but I'll take it. Perhaps the post match beatdowns will slow down now? Maybe. Lucha Brothers are heel vs heel enthusiasts though so maybe we'll get a bonanza of those instead. 

In conclusion. Usual crap these two teams put out together that was made a bit more tolerable by it not having rules so it isn't as offensive as usual, but they just had to make up for it with the finish. 

-

Women's Battle Royale - I don't even like Riho but she was clearly the most over person in the match for whatever reason and... instantly eliminated by Hayter? What about there being a hometown hero who comes out first? First one eliminated. Former champ kept on Dark for months is here? Eliminated early like a chump. All these bizarre decisions actually began to straight up turn the crowd on the match which is dangerous water when it is the women. AEW does not treat the women right and this was on display at the start of this.

Anyway. Jade. Looked lost at times which okay yes, if Jade is out there then I'm looking at Jade. However, even if that was taken out of the equation, her size and standing out makes looking lost more apparent. Her strikes generally seemed to look fine though hard to judge it when it was largely punches to fallen opponents... now the selling... yeah. She ain't a very good seller at the moment to begin with but it looks extra comical her selling for these much smaller opponents. They did keep it to a minimum by having her not get hit once until the joker came out. Her being eliminated by Nyla Rose is as best as you could hope for yes as Nyla as damaged as she is credibility wise does at least have the size. No issue with Ruby Soho being the joker or winning it especially if the idea is for Rosa to get a later title shot to win the title. I've always felt Ruby was a talent and horribly misused in WWE. 

The weaknesses of AEW's version of the Royal Rumble were on full display here also. I understand the people coming out one after another quickly has some positives to it but ultimately it is likely better if they delay each person slightly so people have a chance to shine a bit before someone else comes in. Fans in the arena don't know what to react to. Fans watching at home miss stuff as the camera can't follow everything going on at once. 

+

MJF vs Chris Jericho - ... MJF and Jericho fight into the crowd for a long time. JR states that the match has no count out or rules. Ah, so another of those matches where you think there are rules but then there aren't, okay, AEW has done this before many times. 6 mins later MJF calls for the referee to count... wretched stuff. Rules are not something that vanish when not convenient but come back when needed for a spot. Either have rules or have no rules. You cannot have both at different times.  

As for the result? I'm not hot about it. Normally yeah sure... but this feud has been this nonsense every single bit of the way so whatever, seems like that is the general reaction. Everyone knows it is the wrong result but whatever, when you've seen a guy get his new team instantly destroyed and him swirlied, you quickly come to terms with a guy being a loser. MJF can't actually get any shine. He can only ever beat a has been Jericho with interference/weapons and anything he might get from such victories is instantly negated and more so by what Jericho does after. He has beaten Jericho 3 times and yet comes out looking the loser due to what has happened within those matches/between them. 

+

Darby Allin vs CM Punk - Basic for the most part yes but it didn't need to be more than that and was perfect as far as being Punk's return match. He looked solid I thought, honestly considering he was never a guy all that great in the ring I thought he looked better than he used to be but that could be the amount of time since I last saw him. I'm glad he swapped to long tights as I've always felt standard tights looked bad on him. Nice fun counter on the Coffin Drop. 

+

Paul Wight vs QT Marshall - Exactly what you'd expect.

/

Kenny Omega vs Christian Cage - Wow, Kenny took advantage of a distraction quickly and the referee wasn't distracted forever for it... then he gets out another table to put Christian through it. That is some speed on the rules mattering and then no longer mattering. Literally in the next spot. Later when the terrible Good Brothers came out however we were back to the forever distractions and it didn't even lead to the end of the match so why even bother with this nonsense.

It was a good match otherwise. Omega shines when in the ring with someone sensible who isn't self indulgent/brings out stupid stuff out of Omega, a common issue for a lot of people in AEW.

Post match was expected enough. I shook my head at the Good Brothers exiting after Byran enters the ring so they could do a 4 vs 4 spot. I understand that ain't their fault as they obviously were told to clear out to allow the shot, but everything about those guys is just wrong.

+

Byran as Omega's next opponent? Honestly, not what I'd do and seems a mistake to rush that... but I suppose as we saw with Christian they can and do delay these things. Byran to me has the story everyone knows of being held down, being told he wasn't good enough, and being beaten constantly by a heel faction. Byran also doesn't need a championship and a loss to Omega likely does nothing for Omega. My suggestion and fantasy booking would be Byran to instead feud with Hangman with the idea of building Hangman back up and getting his confidence back. Culminating the week before the PPV Hangman finally beats Byran for the right to challenge for the AEW title. Byran shows up during the match and takes out whatever goons Omega has come out. Hangman wins and moves on. Omega feuds with Byran who beats him at every turn, stating that Omega is no Adam Page. Heel is humbled. Byran takes a loss that means something while picking up a significant win for later. Page gets to move on quickly from Omega as they've had such a long rivalry so they shouldn't have another eternity of matches (Omega vs Moxley).

On 06/09/2021 at 3:01 AM, Infected Elite said:

i swear, JR makes so many fuckin mistakes announcing. 

Cage Match: i don't know whos the legal man

ummmmm tornado rules....

Womens battle royal: "ruby riott".

fuck JR.

AEW fans being so angry at JR is laughable. Come now. Jericho has a higher rate of slipping up on WWE related stuff and he shocker doesn't get this hate over it. JR does one thing very important which doesn't get appreciated. He tries to explain away whatever tomfoolery is going on to try and make sense of it. If refereeing for example is being an offensive joke then he is usually the one who points it out as he only buries commentary if you know, he doesn't commentate on what is happening in front of God and everybody. Of course some times him trying to do this backfires, and other times it is so bad he just can't do it. 

On 06/09/2021 at 3:31 AM, Infected Elite said:

exactly. 

Surprised they put Wight vs QT between Punks match and Omegas.

Hopefully its long enough i can take a shit. QT is boring and i really have 0 interest is Wight fka Big Show. 

The slot before the main event is known as the "cooldown" match or by many fans as the "pissbreak" match. On TV it is also known as the "deathslot" as normally more people than usual tune out during it. It is why AEW usually puts Women's matches as the second to last match on Dynamite, because they think very little of those matches.

Now you know. Wight vs QT was easily predictable to be in the slot that it was as it was the most throwaway match on the card that the least amount of people were going to care about. 

On 06/09/2021 at 5:38 AM, ReazonIzTreazon said:

Rozalia - Please tell me you found some enjoyment in that? What a time to be a wrestling fan....BAY BAY!

My thoughts are above if you wish to read them. It was a weak card I felt going in but at least half of it was positive I'd say but that is nothing out of the ordinary for the big AEW events. 

Best match was Darby Allin vs CM Punk. Worst was either Kojima vs Moxley for being a self indulgent waste of time or Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros for being a match involving two teams that can be bad enough on their own (Lucha Brothers especially) but combined are like nothing else certainly yes. 

On 06/09/2021 at 6:43 AM, Glorious Fury said:

Cole REALLY needs to bulk up though, guy is so lightweight. Bucks look like bodybuilders compared to him lmao.

Might be getting a lot of 6 man tags with them for precisely that reason. 

If Cole didn't while at NXT I don't see why he'd do it in AEW. Cole always struck me as a nice physical showing of HHH's incompetence with NXT as he had Cole on top for so long and all the while never got him to at bulk up. He knows that Vince is who he ultimately has to get Cole to, someone who'd look at Cole and wonder why he was even employed by them let alone HHH's top guy. 

Am i the only one here keeping up with the two shows they upload to youtube every week? Dark and Elevation.. They are good if you have premium youtube. Don't think i'd watch them with ads.

It's 4 nights a week already at this point and they don't even have a handful of years behind them yet. I mean.. the shows are good, it's just a lot to follow. Don't want them to burnout.

Heres this weeks episodes if anyone is interested..

AEW Dark from tuesday night

AEW Elevation from monday night