Mary Skelter 2 coming west - for switch

DEI2EK

11 hours ago, Katt said:

Just remember this:

MeToo movement is not at fault. It's Sony's fault for using it as an excuse, because MeToo has nothing to do with censorship.

Also, I'm glad this game is not on a PS platform, I was waiting for something like this to happen and I hope more cases like this could happen later. It would be the beginning of the end of the censorship policy. I'm absolutely pleased.

Eh, yes and no. While obviously, it's true that the MeToo movement didn't force Sony to do jackshit in this case (or really, in most cases), one could reasonably argue that at least some of the content that was censored, namely lewd interactive minigames and the like, would inevitably land in the crossfire of such a movement. After all, if you make a minigame where you essentially sexually assault a girl when there's currently a massive spotlight on sexual assault and those who commit it, it's logical to assume that said minigame is going to actually piss people off who may not normally care about these games and that Sony would want to steer clear of that particular controversy, especially in light of many people calling them out for merely hosting Super Seducer towards the beginning of 2018 before Sony mysteriously banned it from their storefront.

That said, what makes it go beyond this is the censoring of random anime tiddy, which has really only gotten ire to begin with when it shows up in things that don't really center around it (e.g. the recent controversy over Our World is Ended and the usual complaints lobbed at recent Fire Emblem games). That in particular is something just about entirely on Sony given that it wasn't ever much of a talking point to begin with before the sudden censorship brought it into the spotlight.

1 hour ago, MMX20 said:

Hey, no need for personal attacks, man. Also, One Angry Gamer can't be trusted and again, it is not Sony's fault.

Except... it is on Sony. No one stormed into the Sony HQ and forced them to censor much of anything. They made that decision on their own. You could at least argue that Mary Skelter 2 having no PS4 release here is partially on IFi being unwilling to censor the game for this specific platform (while still releasing it uncut on Switch), but then it still has to be given that Sony's policy has presented this decision to begin with.

Also, as much as I agree that One Angry Gamer is a shit site, no one even linked them in this thread. Why even bother bringing it up?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Katt said:

Just remember this:

MeToo movement is not at fault. It's Sony's fault for using it as an excuse, because MeToo has nothing to do with censorship.

Also, I'm glad this game is not on a PS platform, I was waiting for something like this to happen and I hope more cases like this could happen later. It would be the beginning of the end of the censorship policy. I'm absolutely pleased.

Not blaming MeToo. It has a right to exist & like you said, Sony is misusing it. Nintendo doesn't do this. Too bad that Japanese developers other than Koei Tecmo, Sega, Bandai Namco, & Capcom aren't so well represented on Xbox One. More of them should consider having PC as one of their platforms.

Sony gains 100% of nothing at all with their censorship policy. Nintendo used to be even worse (also really strict with violence) & they backpedaled... let's hope the time comes that we see Sony backpedal. Should someone be ticked off by a game's content for any reason, they have the right to refuse to buy it. Let the customers do their own censoring. The ESRB ratings are here to help them with that.

40 minutes ago, MMX20 said:

Hey, it's not Sony's fault about this.

I am sorry but I cannot say that I agree.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, YROSHIKU said:

And I'm happy they did, because fuck $ony and their fascist censorship. Finally a developer that's said no to their retarded SJW/PC politics, I hope the rest of Japanese developers gonna do the same and move as far as they can from $ony and Censor$tation.

Technically, the censorship would be communist since it comes from the left. Also, the likely idea of this censorship is to get these devs off of Playstation, so Sony still wins in that case. :awesome:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Walt the Dog said:

Technically, the censorship would be communist since it comes from the left. Also, the likely idea of this censorship is to get these devs off of Playstation, so Sony still wins in that case. :awesome:

ELIMINATE ANIME LEWDS, PUSH COMMUNISM!

• Like 3

So here's a question was the first game even good? Both as a game and as a platinum. 

Also like @Walt the Dog said regardless of how things turn out it's a win-win for the people enforcing this within Sony. Either the game's like this get their sexuality tone down to fall in line with whatever standard they want or the games stop appearing on the current most popular console in the world.

Yelling / being upset about the situation on forums/Reddit/Twitter/ect or "boycotting" the games on PlayStation won't really change anything. This is because the people who are the most upset are the target audience for the games and having the target audience "boycott" the games only gives ammo/evidence for "those" people to take to executives as to why they should not make the games for/let the games be on PlayStation in the first place.

The best move that a consumer of these types of games can do right now is to write a physical letter to the developers of the games, letting them know you are willing to buy a censored version of the game and weather the storm of the censorship policy. By letting them know your displeasure with the censorship while also showing them that you still support them will give them the encouragement/ ammo to fight back against Sony on the censorship policy. 

However we all know this will never happen, because people on the internet are far too lazy to actually put effort into things besides complaining. :awesome:

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, soultaker655 said:

So here's a question was the first game even good? Both as a game and as a platinum.

While I can't comment on my own experience as I have yet to play it, from what I've heard, it's actually a fairly good game, and aside from the ending, the story's supposedly well-done.

Not as related, but Death End Re;Quest is apparently also very good as a game and especially as a story. In general, CH seems to be doing a fair amount better than they used to, particularly if you ignore some of their recent fumbles with the Neptunia series such as the lack of a new mainline for a good few years now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vytautas20 said:

fuck you noob

And fuck you too dumb twat ?. But hey in all seriousness no one taught you to keep your whore mouth shut when adults talk ???

1 hour ago, Walt the Dog said:

Yeah I was thinking about it later after I made that post, but I was too lazy to edit it, thanks for making a point though ☺️! Well I don't know what they win with that but hey if you say so, I would think that with more variety of different genres that aims at wider age group would mean more interest of potential buyers and with that a profit, but what do I know, I'm just some noob ?!

Edited by YROSHIKU

Glad they skipped ps4. Game looks like garbage. Hardly anyone will be missing out.  Sony is doing some interesting stuff. Coming at perverts with war. Weeding out their consumer base and protecting themselves from future bullshit. Fact of the matter is there has only been one game that was censored for wrong reasons. That game was DmC5. The censorship was rightfully undone. The rest of these games and gamers? Good riddance. 

The Ps5 will sell well despite all of  this, I love it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YROSHIKU said:

Yeah I was thinking about it later after I made that post, but I was too lazy to edit it, thanks for making a point though 263a.png! Well I don't know what they win with that but hey if you say so, I would think that with more variety of different genres that aims at wider age group would mean more interest of potential buyers and with that a profit, but what do I know, I'm just some noob 1f606.png!

By getting risque anime games off of their platform, they reduce the risk of getting caught in a PR nightmare such as when they almost let Super Seducer on the platform or, to a lesser extent, when Omega Labyrinth Z got banned from the UK, becoming the first game in about a decade to do so and getting the attention of the BBC. Given that we're heading up to a new console generation at this point and that's around the time that people are gonna be switching consoles, Sony would likely rather take the risk of a few thousand people switching over not having the anime tiddy than the risk of several thousand more switching because of an abundance of anime tiddy, especially when there are plenty of people who still think that all anime is lewd things even in the silent majority, let alone the outspoken people that not only are well aware of how crass these games can get, but could very well be willing to write hit piece after hit piece on them should it get bad enough.

In regards to how these games sell, while I don't have data for the US, I do have data for sales in Japan of some of Compile Heart's recent games courtesy of a comment on the Gematsu article concerning Arc of Alchemist's digital-only release in the US.

W722EMZ.jpg

Even focusing just on the dip between Dragon Star and AoA, even if we assumed that every lost sale between these games was due to censorship (not counting factors such as different genre, supposed lackluster gameplay, etc), that's still only about 5000 people lost. Compare that to the sheer amount of customers that Sony can get off of its bigger games, not to mention even how some of the more prominent indies on the system can do, and it suddenly makes sense why the thoughts and feelings of the anti-censorship audience are going to take a backseat to how the general mainstream audience would feel about these games and their right to exist on PS4/PS5, especially when it's the mainstream audience whose feelings are echoed out by much of the gaming press rather than the anti-censorship crowd, who mostly has One Angry Gamer and a few other niche sites that have nowhere near the reach of sites like Polygon or even Kotaku.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Walt the Dog said:

By getting risque anime games off of their platform, they reduce the risk of getting caught in a PR nightmare such as when they almost let Super Seducer on the platform or, to a lesser extent, when Omega Labyrinth Z got banned from the UK, becoming the first game in about a decade to do so and getting the attention of the BBC. Given that we're heading up to a new console generation at this point and that's around the time that people are gonna be switching consoles, Sony would likely rather take the risk of a few thousand people switching over not having the anime tiddy than the risk of several thousand more switching because of an abundance of anime tiddy, especially when there are plenty of people who still think that all anime is lewd things even in the silent majority, let alone the outspoken people that not only are well aware of how crass these games can get, but could very well be willing to write hit piece after hit piece on them should it get bad enough.

In regards to how these games sell, while I don't have data for the US, I do have data for sales in Japan of some of Compile Heart's recent games courtesy of a comment on the Gematsu article concerning Arc of Alchemist's digital-only release in the US.

W722EMZ.jpg

Even focusing just on the dip between Dragon Star and AoA, even if we assumed that every lost sale between these games was due to censorship (not counting factors such as different genre, supposed lackluster gameplay, etc), that's still only about 5000 people lost. Compare that to the sheer amount of customers that Sony can get off of its bigger games, not to mention even how some of the more prominent indies on the system can do, and it suddenly makes sense why the thoughts and feelings of the anti-censorship audience are going to take a backseat to how the general mainstream audience would feel about these games and their right to exist on PS4/PS5, especially when it's the mainstream audience whose feelings are echoed out by much of the gaming press rather than the anti-censorship crowd, who mostly has One Angry Gamer and a few other niche sites that have nowhere near the reach of sites like Polygon or even Kotaku.

... so long story short, we are screwed either way :(.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

... so long story short, we are screwed either way :(.

Pretty much.
Remember JP gaming is dominated by mobile. So instead of spending money on a lewd console game JP gamer will spend money on lewd mobile gacha games.
Why would they spend $350+ on a PS4 + the lewd console game when they can just download a free to play lewd game and spend like $10 a month on it until they get bored.
Like for example the Senran Kagura: New Link mobile game. For some JP gamers it's all they may need to scratch that itch.

So if the core audience for these types of games disappear in terms of sales in JP, EU, and US for one reason or another. What reason does Sony have to care about the online outcry to their new censorship policy?

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Walt the Dog said:

W722EMZ.jpg

When you look at it this way, it's no surprise it's such a no brainer for them to just discard a small group of players that are interested in this kind of niche games that doesn't even sale well for the sake of mainstream audience that eats and shits their generic titles on a daily basis, I perfectly understand it, it makes sense but that probably won't change how I feel about it or people that share my feelings on the matter, but then again going by the numbers they don't have to care about that. For me personally it means that I most likely will switch to PC/Nintendo Switch and with how things look like I have no interest in their upcoming console.

• Like 1