Strange situation with Playstation Plus?

Hello, I thought I was finally over with ps plus after May 2019 but something strange happened.

I bought a one year plus membership on another account   on  June 16 2018, the thing should have expired by now, but as I connected on the playstation I still saw the  plus icon  on my account, I thought it was strange so I checked out by downloading a ps plus game to see the time limit, and to my surprise  I had like 364 days, indeed my plus membership was extended to June 2020.

Now, I know that those sneaky guys  at Sony activate automatic renewal whenever you buy plus, but the fact of the matter is, I use multiple credit cards on my bank account, one of these is solely for my videogames niche thing, and said card didn't even had  4 euros last week, I bought a miriad of stuff and didn't charge it again, as nothing of interest to me was in the days of play sales, yet suddenly a 60 euro membership  is payed? So  I ask, is it possible that maybe Sony does this kind of stuff, where it puts you on a debt or something, and requires you to pay at the end or it bans you? Because I honestly have no idea how I got this renewal.

Edit: solved.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

37 minutes ago, totallycrushed said:

Check your transaction history with your cards.

33 minutes ago, turpinator1986 said:

They definitely did not extend your membership without charging you yet. Check PayPal as well as any other cards listed in your payment methods. 

Yep, I checked that, my last transaction was 13/06/2019 in order to buy a Yakuza game (4 euros,  it was definitely the last stuff I could buy as first I tried with a 5 euros game and couldn't work).

So i checked the  16 june 2018 transaction page, and I got 42 euros spent on sony for the ps plus, but said transaction was only one time, so I don't think I bought plus two times.

No other methods to pay are used, I only use a Mastercard with limited amount of money  for Sony as I don't trust them enough.

Edit:

For clarifications, here's my transaction for PSPlus back in 2018, it is unfortunately on my native language, but I doubt it  makes that much of a difference,  as the numbers are the key point:

w6wjk7.jpg

23 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

No other methods to pay are used, I only use a Mastercard with limited amount of money  for Sony as I don't trust them enough.

What are you expecting Sony to do? You might dislike big companies and all that, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to fear Sony stealing from you haha. Some people take this big company fear way too far.

Are you 100% sure you only have the one card linked to the ps store? Maybe it has a memory of another and diverted the payment to that card instead?

2 minutes ago, Bairuto said:

What are you expecting Sony to do? You might dislike big companies and all that, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to fear Sony stealing from you haha. Some people take this big company fear way too far.

Are you 100% sure you only have the one card linked to the ps store? Maybe it has a memory of another and diverted the payment to that card instead?

I'm not scared of Sony because they are a big evil company or whatever. I'm scared of Sony because of their incompetence since the hacking it had years ago.

Having said that, yes, 100% sure. I'm also the only one using the ps4 so nobody else.

I highly doubt Sony would extend your membership without payment. And if there wasn't sufficient funds or credit on your card, the transaction wouldn't go through.

I'd double check to see if you have any other cards linked to your account. And if you really don't trust Sony (I don't like the automatic renewal either), stick with prepaid PSN cards/codes and turn off automatic renewals.

Edited by ZitMeatloaf

I've never let it lapse without payment so I can't be sure, but maybe there is a feature where it gives you a week lapse of plus, kinda like a 14 day free trial. Unlikely but maybe that's the case and you will get an email from them saying you won't lose any features or anything if you pay by a certain date or whatever. If not could always try contacting Sony and enquire

12 minutes ago, ZitMeatloaf said:

I highly doubt Sony would extend your membership without payment. And if there wasn't sufficient funds or credit on your card, the transaction wouldn't go through.

I'd double check to see if you have any other cards linked to your account. And if you really don't trust Sony (I don't like the automatic renewal either), stick with prepaid cards/codes and turn off automatic renewals.

Yes, this is exactly why I'm perplexed, and Sony thinking I'm some cheater that exploited a bug or some shit is the worst case scenario.

My prepaid card shouldn't have been able to pay even a 1 euro game, let alone a 60 euros plus membership, and at the same time, during the entirety of 2018 and 2019 to this day, I only bought  one ps plus membership on the 16 of June 2018, yet here I am with another 364  days time limit on my plus games. It's baffling and I cannot explain it.

@Bairuto

Nothing of this sort, it says I have 364 remaining days on plus.

It must have auto renewed. The debit isn't going to to post on the weekend so they got authorization and it is pending with your bank. If there is not funds there when it posts then it may overdraw your account but Sony got the authorization, meaning that they will get paid whether there are funds there or not.

2 minutes ago, DaikichiKawachi said:

It must have auto renewed. The debit isn't going to to post on the weekend so they got authorization and it is pending with your bank. If there is not funds there when it posts then it may overdraw your account but Sony got the authorization, meaning that they will get paid whether there are funds there or not.

Woah there, first time I've heard of this but judging from the situation it fits the bill. So what happens if you don't pay? Do they ban you, or remove the plus after a week? Any way I can reverse that and remove the plus myself?

1 minute ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Yes, this is exactly why I'm perplexed, and Sony thinking I'm some cheater that exploited a bug or some shit is the worst case scenario.

My prepaid card shouldn't have been able to pay even a 1 euro game, let alone a 60 euros plus membership, and at the same time, during the entirety of 2018 and 2019 to this day, I only bought  one ps plus membership on the 16 of June 2018, yet here I am with another 364  days time limit on my plus games. It's baffling and I cannot explain it.

I was editing my first post when you replied - just to clarify, I meant prepaid PSN cards or codes, not a prepaid credit or debit card.

Prepaid PSN cards and codes are the only way I purchase things on the PS store. It's a minor annoyance to enter the codes, but I prefer it because:

- Keeps credit card numbers out of Sony's hands

- Reduces impulse purchases

- Games end up being cheaper. It's not hard to find codes from 4 to 8 percent off online (Green Man Gaming often has discounts).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Woah there, first time I've heard of this but judging from the situation it fits the bill. So what happens if you don't pay? Do they ban you, or remove the plus after a week? Any way I can reverse that and remove the plus myself?

Your bank will honour the payment so from Sony's perspective there is nothing wrong. Your bank is going to be the problem and each one will deal with overdrafts differently. As you said there is nothing on that card right now and the transaction hasn't posted, I would advise transferring funds over to cover it as the simplest fix. Then you can call Sony and ask if they will give you a refund. They might do that but they definitely won't refund bank fees.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

I'm not scared of Sony because they are a big evil company or whatever. I'm scared of Sony because of their incompetence since the hacking it had years ago.

Having said that, yes, 100% sure. I'm also the only one using the ps4 so nobody else.

That was back in May 2011. I'm not saying their network isn't vulnerable and Sony I find is incompetent compared to Microsoft and Steam who have done networking for much longer. Sony has changed a lot since then, but compared to then they have gotten more stupid.

Take this up with your bank. I have one card I use for PS Store purchases, sometimes I buy the PSN cards when I'm out and about since I prefer to pay in cash rather than credit card because of security reasons.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone.

It's 4AM here so bank is out of the question( my Bank's Site didn't show me any debts or newer transactions for what is worth), I sended an E-mail at Sony explaining the situation and asking the removal of my subscription.

Ahh, sleepless nights...